• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

how long will you deny beyonce for these lesser girls

Beyonce's impact is just too self-contained. People respect Beyonce, but she doesn't really shape the industry with her every action in the same way these other girls do. Beyonce does something, everyone says "Wow...Beyonce did that." Then they move on.

She's the next Tina Turner. Not the next Queen.

Floridian

Duh Hot and Cold and Dark Horse.

Dark horse?
2095c354.gif

No Teenage Dream?
2095c354.gif

You're so hypnotizing
Could you be the devil?
Could you be an angel?

Your touch magnetizing
Feels like I am floating
Leaves my body glowing

They say, be afraid
You're not like the others
Futuristic lover
Different DNA
They don't understand you

[Pre-Chorus]
You're from a whole 'nother world
A different dimension
You open my eyes
And I'm ready to go
Lead me into the light

Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
Infect me with your love and
Fill me with your poison

Take me, ta-ta-take me
Wanna be a victim
Ready for abduction

Boy, you're an alien
Your touch so foreign
It's supernatural
Extraterrestrial

ET-katy-perry-22462920-730-300.gif

royalan

Can you explain how Katy and Rihanna 'shape the industry with every action' a little more

Rihanna: Fashion. Her Good Girl Gone Bad era is the sole reason you see avant garde looks among Urban/Pop females. Also, We Found Love...end of discussion.

Katy Perry: Made bubblegum pop popular again.

Beyonce:....uhhh, I guess her impact could be felt with Azealia Banks' surprise album release...

Partition

Banned
Rihanna: Fashion. Her Good Girl Gone Bad is the sole reason you see avant garde looks among Urban/Pop females. Also, We Found Love...end of discussion.

Katy Perry: Made bubblegum pop popular again.

Beyonce:....uhhh, I guess her impact could be felt with Azealia Banks' surprise album release...

Well that was a weak response as I expected.

Anyway, I think the answer is that there doesn't need to be a 'Queen Of Pop' right now. Or anytime soon. Madonna rightfully is the only one to truly own that crown - to slay the charts, actually make an impact on pop culture and the way pop music is made, have stellar performances (Rihanna and Katy? lol), and is a touring force (Rihanna and Katy? lol again). The gays are so desperate for someone to claw this title from Madonna, but the truth is none of the pop girls are really living up to the title yet. It could still be Madonna's crown long after she is dead too. The 'Queen Of Pop' shouldn't have to be a title that is argued about.

Floridian

what are they?

Collaborating with someone you had "beef" with in the past is considered a risk, and we all know Taylor is not a risky artist. 2nd, the only collab she has done with a rap artist was B.O.B, and the song wasn't even featured on any of her albums, they're the exact opposites of each other music wise. The day we have a Taylor swift ft Kanye song is the day that Lady Gaga's Do What U Want video actually releases.

royalan

Anyway, I think the answer is that there doesn't need to be a 'Queen Of Pop' right now. Or anytime soon. Madonna rightfully is the only one to truly own that crown - to slay the charts, actually make an impact on pop culture and the way pop music is made, have stellar performances (Rihanna and Katy? lol), and is a touring force (Rihanna and Katy? lol again). The gays are so desperate for someone to claw this title from Madonna, but the truth is none of the pop girls are really living up to the title yet. It could still be Madonna's crown long after she is dead too. The 'Queen Of Pop' shouldn't have to be a title that is argued about.

Kiiiiiiii - a weak response, but YOU couldn't even list Beyonce as a potential queen in your follow-up response.

Collaborating with someone you had "beef" with in the past is considered a risk, and we all know Taylor is not a risky artist. 2nd, the only collab she has done with a rap artist was B.O.B, and the song wasn't even featured on any of her albums, they're the exact opposites of each other music wise. The day we have a Taylor swift ft Kanye song is the day that Lady Gaga's Do What U Want video actually releases.
oh, i see. I thought it had something to do with her being racist lmao

Partition

Banned
Kiiiiiiii - a weak response, but YOU couldn't even list Beyonce as a potential queen in your follow-up response.

? She checks more boxes than Rihanna and Katy, that's for sure; as I mentioned neither of those girls know how to perform nor are touring forces.

royalan

? She checks more boxes than Rihanna and Katy, that's for sure; as I mentioned neither of those girls know how to perform nor are touring forces.

But touring is the ONLY thing Beyonce has right now, and you know it.

That's why I say she's the next Tina Turner: A legend who is more known for her performance and touring prowess than being a true chart-topper.

rude

Banned
Beyoncé turning herself into an unfeeling cyborg in social situations is obviously going to result in lack of impacT. I don't understand how anyone could even think otherwise, regardless of what you think about her music.

royalan

Beyoncé turning herself into an unfeeling cyborg in social situations is obviously going to result in lack of impacT. I don't understand how anyone could even think otherwise, regardless of what you think about her music.

THE TEA

SPILL IT

Touchdown

Banned

Anyway, I think the answer is that there doesn't need to be a 'Queen Of Pop' right now. Or anytime soon. Mariah rightfully is the only one to truly own that crown - to slay the charts, actually make an impact on pop culture and the way pop music is made, have stellar performances (Rihanna and Katy? lol), and is a touring force (Rihanna and Katy? lol again). The gays are so desperate for someone to claw this title from Mariah, but the truth is none of the pop girls are really living up to the title yet. It could still be Mariah's crown long after she is dead too. The 'Queen Of Pop' shouldn't have to be a title that is argued about.

Fixed

1364fadcb2.gif

Partition

Banned
But touring is the ONLY thing Beyonce has right now, and you know it.

That's why I say she's the next Tina Turner: A legend who is more known for her performance and touring prowess than being a true chart-topper.

chart topping is just one aspect of being a pop star. one of the lesser aspects too, imo.

- Critical Acclaim (Madonna check, Beyoncé check)
- Consistent Hits (Madonna check, Rihanna check, Katy check)
- Album sales (Madonna check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)
- Touring (Madonna check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)
- Performance talent (Madonna check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)

so I guess if releasing hits is the only aspect required to be 'Queen of Pop' to you, you should definitely consider Taylor because she is going to eclipse both Rihanna and Katy at this rate.

royalan

chart topping is just one aspect of being a pop star. one of the lesser aspects too, imo.

- Critical Acclaim (Madonna check, Beyoncé check)
- Consistent Hits (Madonna check, Rihanna check, Katy check)
- Album sales (Madonna check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)
- Touring (Madonna check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)
- Performance talent (Madonna check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)

so I guess if releasing hits is the only aspect required to be 'Queen of Pop' to you, you should definitely consider Taylor because she is going to eclipse both Rihanna and Katy at this rate.

Why do you keep short-selling Rihanna's touring capability? Granted, touring receipts are the aspect of Pop I keep the least track of, but didn't she sell out stadiums and arenas with her last tour?

EDIT: Also, if Rated R's critical acclaim wasn't enough to check that box for Rih, that plus Unapologetic should definitely do it.

Touchdown

Banned

- Critical Acclaim (Mariah check, Beyoncé check)
- Consistent Hits (Mariah check, Rihanna check, Katy check)
- Album sales (Mariah check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)
- Touring (Mariah check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)
- Performance talent (Mariah check, Beyoncé check, Gaga check)

Edited

1364fadcb2.gif

Mariah's crown remains firmly planted tbh

This past weekend, Mumei and I watched the full Tokyo Dome concert (1996 Daydream Tour).

If you want to witness the effortless radiance of true professionalism, performance, and personality, I advise you do the same.

Your faves will never, and that's just how it is. Roy's right that Beyonce will never be a queen - she's as dull as Taylor, and every interview she's ever done has been a masochistic undertaking to sit through.

But even he cannot come for Mimi~

1364fadcb2.gif

Consistent hits? What song off her last album even charted in the hot 100?
If we're judging all pop starlets on the basis of their recent performance (especially ones who've been in the game for 20+ years), then I guess Gaga better freak the fuck out.

Oh, and #Beautiful to answer your question, I think.

royalan

Your faves will never, and that's just how it is. Roy's right that Beyonce will never be a queen - she's as dull as Taylor, and every interview she's ever done has been a masochistic undertaking to sit through.

But even he cannot come for Mimi~

And I would never try...

1Gkd0kJ.gif

90s Primeriah is something I don't think the world will ever see again....

Partition

Banned
Why do you keep short-selling Rihanna's touring capability? Granted, touring receipts are the aspect of Pop I keep the least track of, but didn't she sell out stadiums and arenas with her last tour?

EDIT: Also, if Rated R's critical acclaim wasn't enough to check that box for Rih, that plus Unapologetic should definitely do it.

If Beyoncé is the standard (because you like to pretend her accomplishments don't exist), than anyone who does less than Beyoncé (Katy, Rihanna) shouldn't count.

Acclaim:
74z89pL.png

PCg9ZHR.png

Decent efforts:
jruWUzD.png

yM5pPQQ.png

fRCOgRF.png

royalan

If Beyoncé is the standard (because you like to pretend her accomplishments don't exist), than anyone who does less than Beyoncé (Katy, Rihanna) shouldn't count.

Acclaim:
74z89pL.png

PCg9ZHR.png

Decent efforts:
jruWUzD.png

yM5pPQQ.png

fRCOgRF.png

NAWT you acting like BEYONCE isn't the ONLY Beyonce album that Rihanna hasn't scored higher than.

And all signs point to Rihanna going for MORE acclaim with her new album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom