• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Break The Rules Japanese Version
cheryl-eek-gif21nkua.gif

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I don't think that will ever really return what with the internet capturing, recording, and making into a meme every nasty face or butt pick a celebrity does.
This. Or just because the internet and social media merely exist. There's no mystery to anyone because information is available at all hours of the day in multiple forms.

Nemesis_

I feel like Fame-era Gaga and Lana were both very mysterious and kind of weird people and that's why I was drawn to them in the first place.

>_>

It seems like Rihanna doesn't quite have that "automatic guarantee" with her singles that Taylor and Katy have with theirs, as evidenced by how her singles never really explode onto the charts. They kind of have a slow rise to the top and it's a byproduct of Roc Nation hammering her songs on radio and such, and of course the fans keeping it noticed on iTunes until it picks up steam. Meanwhile Katy and Taylor can drop a song on iTunes and have it shoot up to the top because people are quick to assume that it's going to be catchy and automatically worth a purchase. I'm only surprised because I assumed Rihanna was in the same lane as them, but maybe that's been a bit overstateD.

cory64

It seems like Rihanna doesn't quite have that "automatic guarantee" with her singles that Taylor and Katy have with theirs, as evidenced by how her singles never really explode onto the charts. They kind of have a slow rise to the top and it's a byproduct of Roc Nation hammering her songs on radio and such, and of course the fans keeping it noticed on iTunes until it picks up steam. Meanwhile Katy and Taylor can drop a song on iTunes and have it shoot up to the top because people are quick to assume that it's going to be catchy and automatically worth a purchase. I'm only surprised because I assumed Rihanna was in the same lane as them, but maybe that's been a bit overstateD.

Yes, drag your faves

rhandino

Banned
Beyoncé and Taylor both kind of try to do it, but they're both incredibly uninteresting at their core; their mysteriousness isn't really stimulating because it feels like there's nothing worth wanting to discover about them?
Ummm, could it be that you found them uninteresting because they kind of overdid it a tad bit with the secrecy and control they have over their image?

I kind of think that the glamour and mystique is not a thing that would ever happen again, I mean there is the fact that if an artist try to emulate the attitude and style of the Golden Era they tend to be scrutinized to the hell and back by the media and the fans since the world is so connected that mantain that kind of aura is suspicous to them. Like, how many people say nasty ass things about Beyonce and Taylor, for example, and talk about them as cold and impersonal beings who try to hide their life's because there must be something dark they don't want the public to see when in reality they just want to project and maybe protect their image.

With Beyonce, for example, there was the Elevator episode where she keep it cool but some had a field day about how Beyonce didn't react and how cold she was, and how she not stood for her sister, etc... but what would have happened if she reacted? That same people and more would say that she is a hoodrath hew ho don't serve class like they fave (whoever they are)

In short, I think that that idea of glamour and secrecy will never comeback and is not because there is no appeal to it, it's just that some of the girls think is not worthy to maintain that charade and also they were born in an era where being connected to the fans is more appreciated than being this mysterious image or isolated icon disconneted of them.

But there is overkill like Gaga with the Monster, I pray for them tbh.

----

The lies, where are they?

I know, but it was released back when 720p was nonexistent. 1080p remaster would be glorious.
But then early 2010 songs are in 1080p... I don't understand why she never went back and posted it in HD. and it's never been uploaded anywhere, either.

I imagine her inviting people over to watch the 4K master copy and laugh at us 480p plebs :|

Floridian

But then early 2010 songs are in 1080p... I don't understand why she never went back and posted it in HD. and it's never been uploaded anywhere, either.

I imagine her inviting people over to watch the 4K master copy and laugh at us 480p plebs :|
That's ok, atleast her G.U.Y music video is 1080p, and we all know that's her best video she's ever done.
/s

cory64

Yeah, I would assume most 2008 and later music videos could be reuploaded in 1080p. A lot of bigger budget ones from before then too would have been shot on film and thus HD-able with minor effort.
What I'm saying is that I need Janet's videography on Blu-ray and nothing will feel right in the world until then.

That's ok, atleast her G.U.Y music video is 1080p, and we all know that's her best video she's ever done.
/s
The GUY video is a weird one for me because like she looks good throughout the entire video but that's pretty much it. It's a far better photoshoot than a music video - basically nothing happens in it and yet it manages to be one of her longest vids. It's really boring to watch, the choreo isn't that great, and rather than feeling like a bold exploration of self (like MTN, which was self reverential and celebratory but in the best way) it kind of feels masturbatory and uninteresting.

Mau ®

I've been telling you guys for years that Rihanna's singles never explode on iTunes on impact. But nobody listens to junkie Mau

CH...

SaintZ

Bad Romance was just on another level and made me give Gaga a chance.

Speaking about old videos... what's your fave's favorite MV?

I was watching Hot earlier today and damn Avril really serves. She looked so hot, probably my favorite.

hot3qzubp.gif

hot4obuft.gif

This look was everything. RIP her last relevant era.

From Lana, obviously Ride is unmatched (although I have a soft spot for Blue Jeans too).

The Bad Romance video is lowkey the best thing GaGa has done in her career. And that has nothing to do with the song itself.

Looking back at her body language and performance style during that time versus how it is now, I can sense that there was a certain lack of confidence back then which somehow made her seem more clean and polished in her delivery. Now that she's owning her schtick she's much more willing to go for dirtier, unpolished looks because she has her fans backing her up at every turn. She didn't quite have that infrastructure back then, so image had to be sleek and pinpoint. The BR video is so great because it's such an eleganza but it's still fairly restrained, like she's not giving you everything yet. The Gaga craze was rooted in the idea of "what will she do next" and the BR was great in making people thirsty for more because it was a smart step up from The Fame. Of course once she did add more then more then more people got their fill and shifted focus. The G.U.Y video is like a fucking loaded baked potato and there's so much to take in; undeniably bigger and badder than Bad Romance but didn't have the finesse or focus. No restraint. Props to her for being a confident bitch now, but there's a small sacrifice with the product output.

Given the timing and impact I doubt people are ever going to let her "top" Bad Romance, but she doesn't really need to. BR is hers afterall.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Given the timing and impact I doubt people are ever going to let her "top" Bad Romance, but she doesn't really need to.

rofl a tad @ this wording.

it has nothing to do with people 'letting' her top bad romance, and everything to do with the fact that the quality of her output has slid into the [ s h i t t e r ]

(tho of course she was also in the right place at the right time)

3phemeral

Just came in to post that I approve of that title change.

Also, Bad Romance is still her best video.

ide9YUOvmDbe5.gif
ide9YUOvmDbe5.gif
ide9YUOvmDbe5.gif

But Born this Way is just psychedelically amazing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mystery Skulls - Magic MV Teaser

PERCHED

Number 1 was a hot bop

You got that something
Not like the other girls
I wanna just love it
This is the moment in my history
That you come with me to a place in my dream
But you follow me, could be alright
Would you come with me to a place in my dream? Whoo, yeah
You’re music tonight

Oh,
I think about my Number 1
Oh,
You can never be the one in wonder
I don’t need to play another love song
Whoop,
‘Cause baby, you’re my number 1
Number 1, Number 1, Number 1, Oh, yeah,
Number 1, Number 1, Number 1, Oh,

Yeah, yeah
You are,
You are
Yes, you are
Number 1, Number 1

Brandy needs to do something like Number One and Magic for her next album tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom