• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Stars Dance had several bops more than any album released in 2013 that was not called Bangerz

ibsfRqrZlFxOsQ.gif

Stars Dance had several bops more than any album released in 2013 that was not called Bangerz

ibsfRqrZlFxOsQ.gif
So many songs that recalled great moments in others' discographies, but in a good way.

B.E.A.T. (Blackout flashbacks)

Write Your Name (The Fame wishes)

And Birthday wasn't the best, but it channeled Utada Hikaru EXODUS realness something fierce

royalan

I'm new here. I've been scouring this thread for a couple months and it looks like an entertaining place. My musical taste is most similar to Mumei, Leona, and Royalan's. I'm "old-school, old head," you might say. Let's just get right into it. These are my faves:

Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Boyz II Men, Celine Dion, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson, Donna Summer, Peabo Bryson, Tevin Campbell, Jackie Wilson, Deniece Williams, Regina Belle, Brandy, Lionel Richie, Elton John, George Michael, Stephanie Mills, Miki Howard, Minnie Riperton, Shanice, Debbie Gibson, Freddie Mercury, Patti LaBelle, Hateretha, Chaka Khan, Annie Lennox, Frankie Lymon, Teddy Pendergrass, Michael McDonald, Freda Payne, Betty Wright, Lisa Fischer, Karen Carpenter, Dolly Parton, LeAnn Rimes, James Taylor, Carole King, Toni Braxton, Prince, Madonna, Robyn, Janet Jackson, Micheal McDonald, The Spinners, The Bee Gees, Wilson Phillips, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Marvin Gaye, Chante Moore, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Christina Aguilera, Rickie Lee Jones, Jim Croce, The Osmonds, Brian McKnight, Vanessa Williams, The Clark Sisters, The Winans, Michael Bolton, Amy Grant, Huey Lewis & The News, Steve Winwood, Belinda Carlisle, Sting, Donny Hathaway, Des’ree, Lalah Hathaway, Smoky Robinson, The Miracles, Martha & The Vandellas, The Supremes, The Temptations, etc etc. Do I need to go on?

I know, I know. It's not exactly "cool" to like some of these people, but hey, what can I say? What I like is what I like. I hope I can fit in here :)

1oxnBWR.gif

Mariah's crown remains firmly planted tbh

This past weekend, Mumei and I watched the full Tokyo Dome concert (1996 Daydream Tour).

If you want to witness the effortless radiance of true professionalism, performance, and personality, I advise you do the same.

Your faves will never, and that's just how it is. Roy's right that Beyonce will never be a queen - she's as dull as Taylor, and every interview she's ever done has been a masochistic undertaking to sit through.

But even he cannot come for Mimi~

1364fadcb2.gif

If we're judging all pop starlets on the basis of their recent performance (especially ones who've been in the game for 20+ years), then I guess Gaga better freak the fuck out.

Oh, and #Beautiful to answer your question, I think.

I actually think her Rotterdam and London concerts were even better.

Late but there were a few good songs on Stars Dance
Shame about her voice live tho. She has a good studio voice (the type of voice you can sing along to and not be outclassed, like Katy Perry)

SaintZ

Born To Die turned 3 years old and hasn't left the Billboard charts. It is number 53 this week.

Ultraviolence is #117 RIP

Partition

Banned
I like the style Rihanna is going for in that photograph, just not that picture. Won't lie and say I'm not slightly intrigueD about her upcoming album, even though 45S is trash.

Majmun

45Seconds on the charts needs to go away. The sooner the better. Rih needs a better single.

One of the worst lead singles EVER

Mau ®;149672189 said:
Rih covers I-D magazine.

The magazine says
ARTPOP 2
R8 is dropping "any day now".

At least she can fall back on her looks once her music career is over :)

Getting a "Set It Off" vibe from that picture

Floridian

I remember when Run the World (Girls) was first revealed and I thought the song was a demo or something because It sounded ridiculous, and I was like "This cant be her lead single", and it turned out it did. Now it's a repeat for FourFiveSeconds from Rihanna except I sort of liked it the first time I heard it even though there was no production or anything. Luckily the remixes came in and supported it a bit.

rhandino

Banned
45S is a weird lead single for Rihanna but I have it on heavy rotation while working so... slay?

... what kind of music video will they make for this one x_x

Edit: god, I want to see ha facial expressions while trying to hit some of the notes T_T

Mau ®;149696930 said:
I really like 45S :/

It's the Rihanna we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

I like it too. I want her to try new things but I also hear her voice cracking in the bridge and I'm like "maybe not," lol. It sounds like one of those songs where the female voice is from some unknown that then shoots up in popularity because her voice is unique. Like Mary Lambert on Same Love, if Mary shot up in popularity or had a unique voice. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom