• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

Eh. I think the roughness of her voice as well as the cracks is so it adds to the song's style. I could be wrong though.

She usually is pretty good with songs with slower tempo like Diamonds, Stay and California King Bed.

3phemeral

I don't mind some roughness to singing as it sometimes adds an emotional quality. So long as it isn't excessive. I've only heard 45S once, but it was cute. I would be surprised if she sang it in its original key but even so, I'm surprised she was able to sing a lowered version of Diamonds (and still did pretty good), so I'll be perched to see how she does. I won't hate if the performance is good. The confidence she exuded when performing Diamonds made me think she studied Whitney's use of performance body language, at least for certain ones I've seen.

royalan

I remember when Run the World (Girls) was first revealed and I thought the song was a demo or something because It sounded ridiculous, and I was like "This cant be her lead single", and it turned out it did. Now it's a repeat for FourFiveSeconds from Rihanna except I sort of liked it the first time I heard it even though there was no production or anything. Luckily the remixes came in and supported it a bit.

The difference is that Run The World was MEANT to be a hit. That makes its flop status embarrassing and proof of Beyonce ha lack of impact.

45Seconds is CLEARLY an experiment. It's a song that was recorded during Kanye's sessions and Rih literally just threw it out to the world.

We've already gotten a taste of the real single, and Rih has already shot a video for it.

Ehhhh if either of them wanted their songs to be hits then they wouldn't really sound like that. Beyonce wouldn't have sampled a 2 year old song and Rihanna wouldn't have let this song loose on the world with a puddle

Majmun

She sounds like a distressed frog when she's hitting those high notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jm_eUQSYAk

iw3w51wbVRxPT.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The difference is that Run The World was MEANT to be a hit. That makes its flop status embarrassing and proof of Beyonce ha lack of impact.

45Seconds is CLEARLY an experiment. It's a song that was recorded during Kanye's sessions and Rih literally just threw it out to the world.

It's a song by three of the world's most successful and respected musicians, and it's boring AF and nobody wants to hear it.

However you frame that, it's a flop.

Phreaker

One of me is wiser
One of me is stronger
One of me's a fighter
And there's a thousand faces of me
And we're gonna rise up
Yeah we're gonna rise up
For every time you wronged me
Well you're gonna face an army, army of me

Christina, giving me life this afternoon! I need new music from her, badly.

christina-aguilera_press-2013-650b.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
even mau can't muster up the energy to give a shit about 45s

the rhat, it's over for her. the rihanna reign fails to survive the crossover from fashion & twitter to music.

Phreaker

What's the point? Will she include that in every song she makes from now on? =/

The article says it can stop people from printing her catch phrases on things, like shirts or bag if she has the phrase trademark. Cuz you know everyone wants a shirt that says "this sick beat" ki

SaintZ

rhandino

Banned
The article says it can stop people from printing her catch phrases on things, like shirts or bag if she has the phrase trademark. Cuz you know everyone wants a shirt that says "this sick beat" ki
She also put “nice to meet you, where you been?” and “party like it’s 1989”...

This... -_-

Zutroy

I randomly checked to see if Lights was going on tour anytime recently. I had just missed her being close to my city by a few days.

.·´¯`(>&#9602;<)´¯`·.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Although I'm fully expecting a retcon where the song is declared as an early promo track that wont even make the album, you don't put Paul McCartney and Kanye West on a throwaway track.
Radio will play the fuck out of it (even though it wont have the cross over appeal of any other rih singles) so it wont be a complete flop (even though it should be)

I really have no idea what any of her team were thinking
completely agrih that stay >>>>>
45s is just a complete snore

One of me is wiser
One of me is stronger
One of me's a fighter
And there's a thousand faces of me
And we're gonna rise up
Yeah we're gonna rise up
For every time you wronged me
Well you're gonna face an army, army of me

Christina, giving me life this afternoon! I need new music from her, badly.

christina-aguilera_press-2013-650b.jpg

Has this been posted yet?

In addition to returning to work on &#8220;The Voice,&#8221; Christina is busy working on new music. She is also working with fellow coach Pharrell. &#8220;During my pregnancy, I had a meeting with him and just connected on where I want to take the next album, and we started talking music, and he has one song in particular that I love.&#8221;

What can fans expect from her new music? &#8220;It's genuine and it's heartfelt and I'm very excited to pour my heart out into this record fully, I&#8217;ve been gathering and writing and coming up with these amazing ideas for different parts of how I was feeling the past year, so I&#8217;m really excited to vocalize all of it and make it all come together.&#8221;

royalan

Both Paul McCartney and Kanye have put out tracks that went nowhere. Hell, Paul just released a song for the Destiny soundtrack that did jack shit for itself or the game.

Paul's a Legend, but he's not been a guaranteed chart topper for decades.

Having them on the track was never a guarantee of anything. Hell, I called day one that this song wasn't going to top charts. It's pleasant but too basic. And Rih has proven herself savvy enough to have known that herself.

I choose to have Faith in the Goddess Rihanna. Her wisdom is infinite.

45S is nothing like the Stay/Diamonds series though. The latter are emotional ballads. This song is a lot more ambiguous and not so straighforward thematically, which is why I like it. Definitely a strange song that probably sounds more special than it is, but who cares. Everybody should go fringe every once in a while, so just take it in. Rih stans especially should appreciate it, if they care about their fave's artistry at all.

45S is nothing like the Stay/Diamonds series though. The latter are emotional ballads. This song is a lot more ambiguous and not so straighforward thematically, which is why I like it. Definitely a strange song that probably sounds more special than it is, but who cares. Everybody should go fringe every once in a while, so just take it in. Rih stans especially should appreciate it, if they care about their fave's artistry at all.

You know, I really don't think they do entirely. I've never actually heard Rih stans analyze her music and break it apart piece by piece. All I really ever hear is them constantly bringing up her single receipts as some sort of show of her artistry (and "impact") and if not that, her modeling career. But why is it that a song like 45S is literally just supported on the fact that it's different and that's the reason why it's not smashing? Why is it that it has to be liked on the basis that it is a *new* rih single?

How about ....What's the message of the song? Why this song particular? It's these questions that really show the cracks of a shallow fanbase.

Phreaker

Has this been posted yet?

In addition to returning to work on “The Voice,” Christina is busy working on new music. She is also working with fellow coach Pharrell. “During my pregnancy, I had a meeting with him and just connected on where I want to take the next album, and we started talking music, and he has one song in particular that I love.”

What can fans expect from her new music? “It's genuine and it's heartfelt and I'm very excited to pour my heart out into this record fully, I’ve been gathering and writing and coming up with these amazing ideas for different parts of how I was feeling the past year, so I’m really excited to vocalize all of it and make it all come together.”

I knew she was supposed to have an album in early 2015, but I didn't know she was working with him on a song. It doesn't surprise me since she did songs with CeeLo and Blake on Lotus.

B-Dex

Mau ®;149762651 said:
I find Justin Bieber's CLEARLY coordinated image clean up interesting.

He is just making up for the mess that is Rhats pending era. And that tragic hair in your avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom