• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
sorry sis but the swine thing looks horrible
now this is an actual look:

Lady Gaga isnt a drag queen. She doesn't need all that volume to make her face small. Half the volume and I would agree.

Kii @ advertising dead on arrival. Saving the coins for the real game of February

http://i.imgur.com/J1xlpAM.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://ebengregory.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mariah-no.gif

royalan

Controversial opinion I know, but I don't think Gaga EVER topped her The Fame era looks.

dwsyNJu.jpg

3pjNpNt.jpg

xAdMrT1.jpg

FOZAo3c.jpg

Simple, yes. But chic, and avante garde and instantly recognizable. THIS was the era where people most wanted to imitate her. I remember the Halloween after The Fame released, EVERY bad bitch I knew dressed up as Gaga.

God, Gaga was such a Bad Bitch when she debuted....;___;

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Kii @ advertising dead on arrival. Saving the coins for the real game of February

J1xlpAM.gif

Eek! Bruh The Order is a damn mess waiting to happen I'm expecting 7's and 8's reviews maximum. I also can't deal with those Dragon's Dogma black bars. Not a fan of DOA either though, only characters I like are Jann Lee and Helena. Unless the PS4 version has been drastically improved I'll probably pass on DOA.

Support the Wii U! Buy Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

I'm not being a fake bitch this time, it looks like Gaga tried to go for a Lana Del Rey in Ride look.
Lana looked amazing in Ride :")

queen :")
YAS she looked so good in that. That was also her last good video, right?
i still haven't watched Tropicana because I don't like the ~aesthetic but nothing from UV surpassed Ride
Eek! Bruh The Order is a damn mess waiting to happen I'm expecting 7's and 8's reviews maximum. I also can't deal with those Dragon's Dogma black bars. Not a fan of DOA either though, only characters I like are Jann Lee and Helena. Unless the PS4 version has been drastically improved I'll probably pass on DOA.

I really don't like the claymation thing it has going on :( idk why. It looks technically impressive but it doesn't click with me. I hope you enjoy it tho :)

Controversial opinion I know, but I don't think Gaga EVER topped her The Fame era looks.

dwsyNJu.jpg

3pjNpNt.jpg

xAdMrT1.jpg

FOZAo3c.jpg

Simple, yes. But chic, and avante garde and instantly recognizable. THIS was the era where people most wanted to imitate her. I remember the Halloween after The Fame released, EVERY bad bitch I knew dressed up as Gaga.

God, Gaga was such a Bad Bitch when she debuted....;___;

GOD YES

Those outfits are part of the reason why I fell in love with her.

rhandino

Banned
Eh, the only thing I look forward of the mess that is current Gaga is the next look.

I think that she cant return to the misterious and avant garde icon after showing us her "real self" in all his full glory and matured and restrained Gaga could do wonders but is never going to happen and I dont think she will even try it =/

Also, has any of the top girls have recovered ever from a messy era? Britney kind of did it but she is nowhere to be seen right now?

Eh, the only thing I look forward of the mess that is current Gaga is the next look.

I think that she cant return to the misterious and avant garde icon after showing us her "real self" in all his full glory and matured and restrained Gaga could do wonders but is never going to happen and I dont think she will even try it =/

Also, has any of the top girls have recovered ever from a messy era? Britney kind of did it but she is nowhere to be seen right now?
Wasn't 4 a bit of a mess? Or was it Sasha Fierce? Or both?

cory64

Britney never had a truly messy era until BJ.

Actually, her Britney era was a mess because of the radio blackout (still slayed worldwide). She just shouldn't have albums named after herself.

Floridian

The only Wii U games i'm getting this year are Xenoblade X and maybe Zelda. The order is graphical eye candy and i'm interested in the story. Waiting on Bloodborne still

PbMhe5I.gif

royalan

Look no further than what is widely considered to be the greatest comeback in Pop history:

YnGLO8t.jpg

YAS she looked so good in that. That was also her last good video, right?
i still haven't watched Tropicana because I don't like the ~aesthetic but nothing from UV surpassed Ride
I really don't like the claymation thing it has going on :( idk why. It looks technically impressive but it doesn't click with me. I hope you enjoy it tho :)
No bitch, Gods & Monsters was her last good video. West Coast was okay I guess... but her video for Ultraviolence was fucking terrible.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Madonna's Erotica, despite being one of her best albums nearly ended her career as I recall. It's possible to bounce back but i can't think of anyone but Madge that has. Britney couldn't, Mariah couldn't, so I don't know if Gaga can tbh

Yes, but I can rarely catch them live anymore :-(

The best part of Idol is, of course, TVLine's flawless Reality Check videos. Slezak and Melinda almost make the show bearable.

I may tune back in this week. I haven't watched since I stepped out of the OT, they're onto the final contestants by now right? Anyone worth rooting for a la Amber from season 12?

Nemesis_

I was under the impression Erotica was a messy era (at least in terms of how the public perceived her) but she bounced back with Bedtime Stories.

enigmatic_alex44

The only Wii U games i'm getting this year are Xenoblade X and maybe Zelda. The order is graphical eye candy and i'm interested in the story. Waiting on Bloodborne still

PbMhe5I.gif

Yaaas Xenoblade X and Zelda, two of my most awaited (and FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3). It'll be miracle if Zelda actually releases 2015 I just don't see it ;_;

Pass on Bloodborne. Hated Demon Souls and Dark Souls and this just looks like more of the same.

lol auditions JUST ended

I see lmao

Well it's either this or The Voice next month, 2 singing shows is too much for me XD

enigmatic_alex44

You're joking right? Mariah's career was in a more dire situation than Madonna's has ever been, her comeback with Emancipation makes whatever Madonna's problems were seem trivial.

The comeback didn't last though, wasn't MIAMTEC a J-Lo sized sales flop? Mariah kind of fell off for me in the late 90's when she had that meltdown, wasn't she wandering the desert or something? Or was that Anne Heche lol? I remember Entertainment Tonight doing a special on her meltdown and she was confused and dehydrated. I wasn't there for Mariah's comeback as I had stopped following her career at that point and discovered Kylie.

royalan

The comeback didn't last though, wasn't MIAMTEC a J-Lo sized sales flop? Mariah kind of fell off for me in the late 90's when she had that meltdown, wasn't she wandering the desert or something? Or was that Anne Heche lol? I remember Entertainment Tonight doing a special on her meltdown and she was confused and dehydrated. I wasn't there for Mariah's comeback as I had stopped following her career at that point and discovered Kylie.

The Emancipation of Mimi was an amazing comeback. And it sustained through her next two albums.

Just because it wasn't an infinite comeback doesn't diminish its impact.

3phemeral

EoM gave her two number ones. EoM also got her 10 Grammy nominations, 3 Grammy wins, was the best-selling album that year in the US and sold 12 million worldwide (2nd best selling in the world). WBT was 14 weeks at #1.

E=MC2 was the following album afterward which gave her the largest opening sales of her career and spawned her 18th #1. It was botched by releasing Bye Bye instead of Migrate, I'm That Chick, or Love Story as the second single. Memoirs came after and then, MIAMTEC. You can only achieve that kind of popularity for so long but even still, if that's not a comeback, then no one could ever.

rhandino

Banned
Oh yeah, i forgot that Mimi career was in a dire state before the Emancipation...

When I asked that question I was thinking about the Janet Superbowl mess, Xtina Bionic and Lotus, When Briney lost control of haself and so on...

But yeah, great examples, Ah want to text more but playing Metroid Prime, If Mimi can recover maybe Samus can recover herself after "Another Mess" T_T

I actually liked the gameplay and part of the story of Another M

Floridian

EoM gave her two number ones. EoM also got her 10 Grammy nominations, 3 Grammy wins, was the best-selling album that year in the US and sold 12 million worldwide (2nd best selling in the world). WBT was 14 weeks at #1.

E=MC2 was the following album afterward which gave her the largest opening sales of her career and spawned her 18th #1. It was botched by releasing Bye Bye instead of Migrate, I'm That Chick, or Love Story as the second single. Memoirs came after and then, MIAMTEC. You can only achieve that kind of popularity for so long but even still, if that's not a comeback, then no one could ever.

Especially after Glitter. Jesus Christ, talk about repression.

3phemeral

I also forgot to mention that Mary J Blige's massive 15-week #1 "Be Without You" wouldn't exist without "We Belong Together."

Especially after Glitter. Jesus Christ, talk about repression.

Especially after Glitter. I mean, talk about the perfect storm of events to facilitate career failure. Panned movie, panned album, media going wild with running clips of her going crazy, getting the mic taken from her by her publicist, having an emotional breakdown, rumors of suicide, biggest record deal from virgin @ 80 million only to have to be bought out of your contract because they don't want you anymore.

royalan

Oh yeah, i forgot that Mimi career was in a dire state before the Emancipation...

When I asked that question I was thinking about the Janet Superbowl mess, Xtina Bionic and Lotus, When Briney lost control of haself and so on...

But yeah, great examples, Ah want to text more but playing Metroid Prime, If Mimi can recover maybe Samus can recover herself after "Another Mess" T_T

I actually liked the gameplay and part of the story of Another M

I still give it to Mariah.

Don't forget, part of what makes a great comeback is when you compare to the dire situation the artist was in before. Before EoM was Charmbracelet which, honestly, wasn't a bad album. But before that?...Glitter.

Glitter at the time was considered one of the biggest bombs by a major pop act of all time. It was like American Life x100.

Then there was her public breakdown (the first major public breakdown by a Pop female, mind you)...lawd, her infamous TRL appearance??? I remember watching that live.

To go from Glitter, to Charmbracelet, to Emancipation? None of our faves will probably ever experience a comeback so major.

rhandino

Banned
Especially after Glitter. I mean, talk about the perfect storm of events to facilitate career failure. Panned movie, panned album, media going wild with running clips of her going crazy, getting the mic taken from her by her publicist, having an emotional breakdown, rumors of suicide, biggest record deal from virgin @ 80 million only to have to be bought out of your contract because they don't want you anymore.
Man, Even her flop eras are a sight to behold, I guess that the lessors could only aspire to flop harder than her.

ibbxsRfh2xCwWC.gif

rude

Banned
Not to mention that Glitter has what are arguably Mariah's best ballads ever (Lead the Way/Never Too Far) aside from being generally enjoyable to listen to. Honestly, who else could make one of the "worst" albums ever smash so hard?

I also forgot to mention that Mary J Blige's massive 15-week #1 "Be Without You" wouldn't exist without "We Belong Together."
I need to turn in my stan card because I don't know the story behind this, and would like to know````

Not to mention that Glitter has what are arguably Mariah's best ballads ever (Lead the Way/Never Too Far) aside from being generally enjoyable to listen to. Honestly, who else could make one of the "worst" albums ever smash so hard?
And it has TWISTER

royalan

I need to turn in my stan card because I don't know the story behind this, and would like to know````

I don't think there's much of a story. The same people behind We Belong Together (namely, Jermaine Dupri and Johnta Austin) then went on to work with Mary, and stylistically Be Without You is a very similar song to WBT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom