• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
Gaga recently gave Sam Smith some advice

"Suffer for your art" SIGH. I really thought she was passed all this art nonsense, we're getting Artpop Vol 2 aren't we :(
The suffering...

15TK5OD.gif

Not here for ArtPop Vol. 2

When will our faves will release a two part album as perfect as Oral Fixation? =/

I want Act 2 as a free download or a leak
Preferably a leak and then Gaga can go on twitter and say that it leaked against her will so if it's bad, we can say there was a reason she never released it
and if it's good but nobody was going to buy it anyway there'll be no chart evidence to use against it
the perfect crime
ibsfeCaiTKFz8W.gif

Partition

Banned
Everyone is allowed one flop era. The public is dimwitted and fickle, not hard to make a comeback if you have the talent and Gaga has the talent and a bit of green puke and some messy interviews ain't gonna end her career.

Of course, but what's so troubling about her 'one flop era' is that she doesn't see it as such. She treated ARTPOP much like her other eras and put too much effort to try and make it happen. When the other girls flop and release LOTUS, they understand it's not worth the effort to keep trying. Gaga doesn't. She believes releasing an utter disaster like the G.U.Y. video is worth her time and is genuinely good. What's troubling about Gaga is she doesn't seem to understand what is a mistake, or have any critical thoughts about her work, and that is why I fear for the future of her career.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I want Act 2 as a free download or a leak
Preferably a leak and then Gaga can go on twitter and say that it leaked against her will so if it's bad, we can say there was a reason she never released it
and if it's good but nobody was going to buy it anyway there'll be no chart evidence to use against it
the perfect crime
ibsfeCaiTKFz8W.gif

LMAO kind of like Madge did with Rebel Heart?
:(

tiJdxY9.png

You ain't alone btw gurl, I loved Brooklyn Nights, better than 3/4 of Artpop

Of course, but what's so troubling about her 'one flop era' is that she doesn't see it as such. She treated ARTPOP much like her other eras and put too much effort to try and make it happen. When the other girls flop and release LOTUS, they understand it's not worth the effort to keep trying. Gaga doesn't. She believes releasing an utter disaster like the G.U.Y. video is worth her time and is genuinely good. What's troubling about Gaga is she doesn't seem to understand what is a mistake, or have any critical thoughts about her work, and that is why I fear for the future of her career.

Sigh, I agree actually. I was hopeful that Artpop was a messy one-off due to all the behind the scenes drama and she's got a new team in place now but finding that Sam interview today, she just hasn't learned. Real talk Partition, if Gaga were to come back and slay, and go back to Fame Monster, BTW or even something brand new (NOT jazz), would you be there again? Not as a monster (yuck) but just a general Gaga stan, you used to be one of the biggest ones in this thread ;_;

P.S. - I saw what royalan linked to a page back, your gathering of the racists in the Superbowl thread was flawless
nail-polish-emoticon.png

Partition

Banned
Real talk Partition, if Gaga were to come back and slay, and go back to Fame Monster, BTW or even something brand new (NOT jazz), would you be there again? Not as a monster (yuck) but just a general Gaga stan, you used to be one of the biggest ones in this thread ;_;

It would take a lot. It's already not going to happen with her next album now that she's working with RedOne. It's not just Gaga turning to shit, it's also my taste in music evolving. I don't really listen to mainstream pop music anymore and don't have much of a desire to get back into it. Gaga was always on another level than the other girls for me though.

It's time she took major creative risks. BTW was somewhat, but it was a one-off misdirection. I'll continue to dislike Gaga as long as she continues to make dance heavy music with repetitive choruses. It's time for her Ray Of Light. Or even Erotica or Music.

Touchdown

Banned
It would take a lot. It's already not going to happen with her next album now that she's working with RedOne. It's not just Gaga turning to shit, it's also my taste in music evolving. I don't really listen to mainstream pop music anymore and don't have much of a desire to get back into it. Gaga was always on another level than the other girls for me though.

It's time she took major creative risks. BTW was somewhat, but it was a one-off misdirection. I'll continue to dislike Gaga as long as she continues to make dance heavy music with repetitive choruses. It's time for her Ray Of Light. Or even Erotica or Music.

Ray Of Light and Music were very dance heavy and both geared in the direction of pop too though.

Partition

Banned
Ray Of Light and Music were very dance heavy and both geared in the direction of pop too though.

More talking about her style of production I guess. ROL sounds timeless while ARTPOP sounds dated already. The heavy synthesizers, and the amount of things going on in songs like MJH is what I'm talking about. You can do dance without overdoing it and trying to make every song a basic ~bop~.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

IMO this won't happen. She doesn't know the meaning of subtlety or restraint, all of her songs are like a sledgehammer to the face in regards to their approach. Even her piano ballads are bombastic and over produced. That said, with the right producer to tell her 'no' and to back off, she might produce something along those lines.

Not always a bad thing but I doubt she could pull it back for a more mature/restrained album.

Floridian

SHOCKING NEWS: Katy Perry performed the most watched Superbowl Halftime in History Leading 118.5 views, 3 million ahead of Bruno Mar's Peformance last year.

HALF HOUR VIEWERSHIP (Times ET):

6:31-7, 99.5 million
7-7:30, 109.7 million
7:30-8, 116.6 million
8-8:30, 118.5 million
8:30-9, 118.1 million
9-9:30, 116.9 million
9:30-10, 119.2 million
10-10:10, 120.3 million

HALFTIME SHOW FEATURING KATY PERRY IS MOST-WATCHED & HIGHEST RATED EVER: The halftime performance by Katy Perry during the 8-8:30 p.m. ET half hour, was seen by 118.5 million viewers, 3 million+ viewers more than last year’s halftime featuring Bruno Mars (115.3 million), and is the most-watched Super Bowl halftime show featuring entertainment ever (dating back to 1991). The halftime show earned a 48.2/72 household rating, two percent higher than last year (47.2/70) and is the highest-rated halftime show featuring entertainment ever.

Congratulations Perry

LJuMFKL.gif

I feel that if Gaga believed in ARTPOP as much as her other projects then we would have had more than two singles and would have pushed her label for more than one actual music video (let's be real, she made the GUY music video to appease her fans, which is why she paid for it). It felt DOA and aside from tweeting about "creative rebellion" and the mandatory awards performances there wasn't much else. No part of me believes she has no regrets with ARTPOP. I believe she loves the music because it healed her during a troubling time, and that makes me appreciate it more, but she would have come off MUCH more steam pressed if she was fully committed to it and still couldn't move listeners.

Aguila

#ICONIC
ugggggg

ARTHIP this and ARTURD that. HEW cares? The bitch is ova. Gypsy wasn't even that good so in RedDone I do not trust.

But @ me when she starts collabing with indie producers
i2nuLpPWmsWbV.gif

ugggggg

ARTHIP this and ARTURD that. HEW cares? The bitch is ova. Gypsy wasn't even that good so in RedDone I do not trust.

But @ me when she starts collabing with indie producers
i2nuLpPWmsWbV.gif

Seems like everyone currs a little bit

We need to change the thread title again

I feel that if Gaga believed in ARTPOP as much as her other projects then we would have had more than two singles and would have pushed her label for more than one actual music video (let's be real, she made the GUY music video to appease her fans, which is why she paid for it). It felt DOA and aside from tweeting about "creative rebellion" and the mandatory awards performances there wasn't much else. No part of me believes she has no regrets with ARTPOP. I believe she loves the music because it healed her during a troubling time, and that makes me appreciate it more, but she would have come off MUCH more steam pressed if she was fully committed to it and still couldn't move listeners.
I agree tbh. I feel like she stopped caring about it really quickly, and part of me wonders if it was because it under performed so she kind of wanted to sweep it under the rug. It was just such a half baked era when it could've been so much better, even with the album as is. I mean, the app is a fucking perfect example. It would've cost what - $50-100k to get the functionality she wanted from it? Yet they just left it as essentially a shitty way to press play on the album and make some trippy gifs to show her (not mentioning the fact that according to the app, she has only seen like 8 creations. 8.)

royalan

Gaga stopped caring about ARTPOP before it even released. Let's be real if we're going to talk about it.

Marius knows the tea better than I do, but the lead-up to ARTPOP was messier than the actual era itself. Something went wrong with ARTPOP at the very beginning, and it was clear trouble was brewing.

Yep, everything was DOA. App was dessemated on arrival, management was a mess for months leading up, and the mess bled into her overall presentation and output. I need a proper Gaga era with the machine aligned again, because the machine makes her entire schtick way better.

Nemesis_

Gaga stopped caring about ARTPOP before it even released. Let's be real if we're going to talk about it.

Marius knows the tea better than I do, but the lead-up to ARTPOP was messier than the actual era itself. Something went wrong with ARTPOP at the very beginning, and it was clear trouble was brewing.

This was more or less what she said to us when we saw her backstage. She was pretty candid.

Of course she could've just been lying as a kind of hindsight bias but I believed her.

rude

Banned
The real problem with ARTPOP, and imo what really threw gaga off, was the disparity between what kind of music was on the album, what she hyped the album to sound like, and the "look" or lack thereof to accompany the music. The Fame, The Fame Monster, and even Born This Way are all alike in that they're very complete and unified works. Each song on each album compliments one another, and Gaga wore clothing that complimented each album thematically. ARTPOP is a hodgepodge of really, really random and shitty music. She said it was going to be a reverse warholian experience or some shit, but all of it sounds dated as fuck. Now let's get to her look. She completely shit the bed by doing her fairy princess aesthetic in between the btw and artpop eras, which means she couldn't go back to doing that once the artpop era actually arrived. Next, it seemed like she was doing that deconstructed, minimalist look with Inez and Vinoodh. Then the applause video came out which, aesthetically, didn't match up with the aforementioned Inez and Vinoodh work. Then she started wearing a whole bunch of other ugly shit from off the runway instead of having the Haus create shit for her to wear. What a fucking mess.

royalan

Yep, everything was DOA. App was dessemated on arrival, management was a mess for months leading up, and the mess bled into her overall presentation and output. I need a proper Gaga era with the machine aligned again, because the machine makes her entire schtick way better.

You know what, the more I think about it, the funnier I think it is that I feel the exact same way about ARTPOP as I do Bionic.

Were ARTPOP and Bionic great albums? Not quite. Were they nearly as revolutionary as their creators hyped them up to be? Nope. And in both cases, the best songs recorded during those sessions, the songs that actually fulfilled the original promise the albums, for some reason did not make the cut and baffled fans.

But for both albums, I feel that each had just enough bops on it that if Christina and Gaga really wanted it, they could have made those eras into something. I honestly don't think ARTPOP was a terrible album, and I still use Fashion, Donatella, Jewels and Drugs, and Sexxx Dreams. Likewise, Bionic, as inflated as it is, has some of Christina's best ballads and mid-tempos, and I will go to my grave saying that Lift Me Up should have been the ballad she pushed from that album, as it's much more radio-friendly than You Lost Me.

But both albums had terrible, completely messy lead-ups. And in both cases, when those albums didn't instantly smash on release, it was like both artists just said "fuck it."

this is a look:
It is
But tbh I agree about ARTPOP being fucked from the start
Her behaviour around the time of announcement back in 2012 was really weird and then there was the whole hip thing which probably didn't help

And rude (I think sorry I'm on mobile) made a good point about the looks being all over the place. Like she served us some really good looks but they were so varied and all over the place that it didn't have any real impact. If she'd stuck with the I&V stripped back thing it would've at least been cohesive but it wasn't even that.

At least C2C era has been really cohesive so far so maybe she'll pull something like that for the next pop outing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
kii

Do you think they'll actually get online up and running within three months? The whole situation is a DISASTUH waiting to happen

I expect them to get it down before the 3 months come up. The issue was that the announced the port too early and didnt knew what was even going on there. KT Europe spreading false information and later correcting themselves cause the JP team didnt tell em anything about the PC port.

I'll be fine playing DOA offline with friends tho since my laptop is pretty powerful. For 11 bucks I cant complain much. (If I paid the 40 I would be fighting tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom