• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
Lucky Chloe is a fucking abomination
No lies in this sentence.

2qTU1Xc.jpg

LOOOOL at first post X_x

Floridian

Mau ®;152940323 said:

Article
offered some details on how his next album is shaping up—specifically, it's 80% done, and he's gonna release it as a surprise album: "[It's gonna be] bars, songs, cookout music that just feels good. My last album was a protest to music, I was like 'I'm gonna take my ball and go home'...This album is embracing the music, joy. Being of service to the people. I just hope people like it and enjoy it."

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
does an album count as a surprise release it they say its a surprise release and has lead up singles?

Mau ®

Frank Ocean's album was also a surprise release in a way. It just dropped before the street date on iTunes.

Ya'll know Bey took note of the sales he enjoyed with that strategy.

Mau ®;152942615 said:
Frank Ocean's album was also a surprise release in a way. It just dropped before the street date on iTunes.

It would be nice if he released an album again

Aguila

#ICONIC
Mau ®;152942615 said:

Thieving as per.

Majmun

Bey stealth released a VISUAL album out of nowhere. Not only was music recorded in secrecy, but 17 video's were shot in secret as well. Her audiovisual surprise attack is legendary.

Your untalented and low-budget fave might try to release a surprise album or a mixtape, or whatever, but they are never going to come near Beyoncé's three-time Grammy winning, critically acclaimed and multi- million selling visual surprise project. They just won't.

And ya'll just have to deal with it.

rhandino

Banned
Your untalented and low-budget fave might try to release a surprise album or a mixtape, or whatever, but they are never going to come near Beyoncé's three-time Grammy winning, critically aclaimed and million selling visual surprise project. They just won't.
Didn't Drake mixtape broke records in Spotify and got Gold in that same week.

Majmun

But did Drake shoot video's for all the tracks? Is his album getting better reviews than BEYONCÉ? Did his album cost $16, so making more money?

No, no and NO.

Only the future will tell if his project will end up selling just as much as BEYONCÉ and win just as many Grammy's. But I wouldn't bet on it.

As for now, Bey remains unbothered by his amateur effort.

Majmun

First week sales:

Drake: Nothing was the Same: 658k
Drake's surprise Mixtape: 535K

Beyoncé - 4 : 314k
Beyoncé surprise self-titled : 618K

Hmmz, Drake's surprise attack wasn't really a good idea
iD0zcTFOg17qX.gif

rhandino

Banned
I don't think it was an "amateur effort", the mixtape was very good (for me at least) and he did not leak like the other hews who have their full albums leaked to hell and back MONTHS before release and after all that he still managed to compete whit Bey who sold 800k copies of Self-Titled.

Bey remains unbothered for now of course but Drake efforts don't deserve to be put in the same league of the other flops like Azealia imho

Mau ®

First week sales:

iD0zcTFOg17qX.gif

Stop and analyze.

NWTS's numbers were a full week while the mixtape were 3 days. The mixtape did better in perspective. Not to mention zero dollars were put in advertising it.

Bladenic

First week sales:

Beyoncé - 4 : 314k
Beyoncé surprise self-titled : 618K

iD0zcTFOg17qX.gif

Lmao what were you trying to prove with this? That 4 was a massive flop?

cop put on the flashing lights behind me on the highway

thought i was being copped for speeding

he switched lanes and then skidded into the shoulder

i don't even, ok.

leona-lewis-rock-in-rio-moment-o.gif

Partition

Banned
4 sold over 300k first week? is that US or WW?
Numbers like that would be considered amazing today.

I guess some girls just flop harder than others.

icIRiJdyKDqwK.gif

3phemeral

Relevance doesn't mean shit if the output is mediocre. Madonna's relevance these days are more of a joke of her latest performances acting like she is young rebel girl (which credit to her she does work her ass off on stage and does way more than girls half her age)

Mariah has better consistency in her discography because even the albums that are not "good" manage to have a handful of bops. Even if her live performances skills have degraded she has a discography that has undeniable quality and live performances can't change that part.

Yass, Beyonetta! Drag Nem and ha' weak-ass, relevancy excuse! What's the point of relevancy if your output is middling?

CAMiTm

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yes, what is the point of Mariah's career?

Why are you using PopGAF's title as a sign of relevancy?

inUXayQ0x2I9U.gif

Shall we compare Mimi hits vs Perra? What about Grammys? What about the years of relevance and success in the business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom