• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference is that Mariah can both produce and write ha' own hits.
Can she though?
il6Qa0fX8yMEb.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Driveclub was the true Artpop failing to meet expectations at launch and eventually people agreeing it isnt too shit but forgettable.

3phemeral

Can she though?
il6Qa0fX8yMEb.gif
You tried it.

"Vision of Love"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Ben Margulies
Producers: Rhett Lawrence, Narada Michael Walden​

"Love Takes Time"
Writers: Mariah Carey, B. Margulies
Producers: Walter Afanasieff​

"Someday"
Writers: Mariah Carey, B. Margulies
Producers: Ric Wake​

"I Don't Wanna Cry"
Writers: Mariah Carey, N. M. Walden
Producers: N. M. Walden​

"Emotions"
Writers: Mariah Carey, David Cole, Robert Clivillés
Producers: Mariah Carey, D. Cole, R. Clivillés​

"I'll Be There" (featuring Trey Lorenz)
Writers: Berry Gordy, Bob West, Hal Davis, Willie Hutch
Producers: Mariah Carey, Afanasieff​
"Hero"
Writers: Mariah Carey, W. Afanasieff
Producers: Mariah Carey, W. Afanasieff​

"Dreamlover"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Dave Hall
Producers: Mariah Carey, D. Hall, W. Afanasieff​

"All I Want for Christmas Is You"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Walter Afanasieff
Producers: Afanasieff, Mariah Carey​

"Fantasy"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Chris Frantz, Tina Weymouth, Dave Hall, Adrian Belew, Steven Stanley
Producers: Mariah Carey, Hall​

"One Sweet Day" (with Boyz II Men)
Writers: Mariah Carey, Afanasieff, Michael McCary, Nathan Morris, Wanya Morris, Shawn Stockman
Producers: Mariah Carey, Afanasieff​

"Always Be My Baby"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Jermaine Dupri, Manuel Seal, Jr.
Producers: Mariah Carey, Dupri, Seal​

"Honey"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Sean Combs, Kamaal Fareed, Steven Jordan, Stephen Hague, Bobby Robinson, Larry Price, Malcolm McLaren
Producers: Mariah Carey, Sean Combs, Stevie J, The Ummah​

"My All"
Writers: Mariah Carey, W. Afanasieff
Producers: Mariah Carey, W. Afanasieff​

"Heartbreaker" (featuring Jay-Z)
Writers: Mariah Carey, Shawn Carter, Narada Michael Walden, Shirley Ellison, Lincoln Chase, Jeffrey Cohen
Producers: Mariah Carey, DJ Clue​

"Thank God I Found You" (featuring Joe and 98 Degrees)
Writers: Mariah Carey, J. Harris, T. Lewis
Producers: Mariah Carey, T. Lewis​

"We Belong Together"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Dupri, Seal, Austin, Darnell Bristol, Kenneth Edmonds, Sidney DeWayne, Bobby Womack, Patrick Moten, Sandra Sully
Producers: Dupri, Mariah Carey, Seal (co.)​

"Don't Forget About Us"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Dupri, Cox, Austin
Producers: Mariah Carey, Dupri, Cox​

"Touch My Body"
Writers: Mariah Carey, Crystal Johnson, Christopher Stewart, Terius Nash
Producers: Mariah Carey, Christopher "Tricky" Stewart​

il6Qa0fX8yMEb.gif

Never bet against immaculate talent.

rude

Banned
And she basically should be credited with rewriting I Still Believe for making it about a million times more iconic than the forgettable original.

Should've been a #1 tbh. Get into the live version.

rude

Banned
Beyonce gets writing and producing credits. Does having that credit make it real tho?
il6Qa0fX8yMEb.gif
The fact that Mariah's songs are so consistent thematically and so similar in their use of grammar and vocabulary from her first album to her last, there's really no question as to who wrote what. Meanwhile, Beyoncé stays scrambling from one shitty song to the next.

3phemeral

Beyonce gets writing and producing credits. Does having that credit make it real tho?
il6Qa0fX8yMEb.gif

bhPrlf

It does when the people no longer on your payroll and had a falling out with still vouch for you.

He continues, “Mariah is her own melodious. She is the one that comes up with the vocal. Whenever she ends up singing what you hear her singing it comes from her. The writing partnership that her and I had and I can’t speak for her other songwriting partners, but if you could see us in the room I would hit a chord and play a little melody on the piano and she would say, ‘Oh, that’s nice,’ and she would sing that melody and then she adds a little bit to it. I would then play it back and then she would say, ‘Yea, that’s good’ so it instantly becomes this partnership where eventually she’ll have a melody and then the melody would prompt her to start thinking about this feeling she wants to put into words. This would eventually become the theme of the song. Melody wise it was also a partnership that developed her melodies and it was really her that took the direction lyrically. She would write the majority of the lyrics herself.”​

You said can though. I'm assuming you meant could. My fave used to be able to write hits too.

I knew you were going to say that halfway through formatting that reply. =P
The chilren' still need ta' learn tho.

The fact that Mariah's songs are so consistent thematically and so similar in their use of grammar and vocabulary from her first album to her last, there's really no question as to who wrote what. Meanwhile, Beyoncé stays scrambling from one shitty song to the next.
C1jwUw

3phemeral

Hmm. Well I looked up top 50 female songwriters and Telegraph is telling me that she wasn't even worthy of getting a nod. They must be outdated or inaccurate or something because that's really odd.
Billboard receipts using actual metrics for success.

Carey has commanded the Hot 100 like no other soloist. Her 18 No. 1s are the most among solo acts and second only to the Beatles' 20. Her 79 total weeks at No. 1 are a record (and 20 more than the Fab Four's second-place sum). Meanwhile, while her 1995 leader "One Sweet Day," with Boyz II Men, has spent more time at No. 1 – 16 weeks – than any other topper in the Hot 100's 55-year history.

But then, I guess it depends on what metric you use.

kii Mariah with that JLo-fu

“One of my favorite stories of the Mariah Carey era was when I was asked to write a song for a film that was being finished in Hollywood that Sony/Columbia Pictures was putting out,” says Afanasieff. “Being intertwined with Sony Music you’re sort of connected to the company next door which is Sony Pictures. So a lot of times Sony Pictures calls upon Sony Music to produce the music for the movie, which is a pretty standard procedure. They asked me if I would come in and screen a movie called “Hero” which was a Dustin Hoffman and Andy Garcia movie.

“At this particular time, they asked Gloria Estefan to sing this song and they asked me to write and produce a song for the movie. I was carrying this bit of information in my head when I came to New York City to work with Mariah on her album. We were getting together to do some writing for her album. One day, while we were at Right Track Studios I told her about this project I was working on and asked her if she wanted to write this song with me. I told her it was pretty cool and the concept of the movie. I started playing the piano part at the beginning of the song and she asked me, ‘Is that your idea for it?’ I told her, ‘Yea, this is what I’ve been working on for it.’ She goes, ‘Yea, that’s really pretty. Let’s try it.’ So we sat there and tried it.

“Within the next two hours we had the bulk of the song done. She started to not be Mariah Carey, the singer, she started to become the songwriter for someone else. She wasn’t really worried about it being for her and her style. She just came out of the box and we wrote “Hero.” At that time, Tommy Mottola walked in and asked us what we were doing. We told him we just wrote this song for the movie “Hero.” He said ‘Let me hear it.’ and after he heard it he looked at us and he said, ‘There’s absolutely no way you’re giving that song to that movie. This is your song, Mariah.’

“She said, ‘What? I’m not going to sing this song. This song is not for me. This isn’t what I want. This isn’t my style.’ He told her, ‘No, trust me. If you put this song on your album and put this out, it’s genius. This will be one of your biggest songs I promise you.’ She said, ‘I don’t want to. This isn’t who I want to be. I want to be less smaltzy. I want to be less pop and less ballad driven.’ He said, ‘Trust me. You have to record this song.’ So she ended up recording it herself. We didn’t give it to the movie and I didn’t write anything for the movie. Lo and behold it was one of the biggest hits of her career.”
Thanks for posting that article, 3phem.

Beautiful stuff~

Floridian

Regina Spektor, Kate Bush, Cat Power, Joni Mitchell and Tori Amos are on this list. The Telegraph partially knows the tea.

All that's almost completely cancelled out by having ADELE as number one tho.

Adele was the first artist I saw and I was like "huh". Ran through the rest of the list and didn't see Mariah anywhere and I was like "oh okay".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom