• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
I vote Britney.

tumblr_n9pdmuq5xX1svi3flo1_400.gif

Reading the review for the Gaga/Bennet album reminded me of one of my favorite female rappers from the 90's, Queen Latifiah.
Which, of course, caused me to reminisce about the female mc's of days gone by.
(Back before Lil Kim ruined female mc's forever by popularized rapping about ones vagina constantly.)

I became aware of Queen Latifah in 1989 (age 13) I hadn't particularly paid much attention to hip hop at this point and was currently getting my life to Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth. Milli Vanilli was everything at the time. Jody Watley was slaying (as per.) Like A Flop came out that year. My daddy Prince had dropped the Batman Soundtrack, and was doing the damn thing, (as per.) So, I had very little use for rap music.

Then came along Ms Dana Owens. Her flow was everything. The music was on point. She was socially conscious, and life was recieved.
iZ9Q6SWWqlCv7.jpg

If you like Azealia Banks, you'd like "Come Into My House." If you're into the feminist message of "***Flawless," "Ladies First." Might be right up your alley.

Her 2nd album is the bomb. My mom wore this album (then cassette) out, so I had no choice but love it.
ibjblltjiu6GBc.jpg

"Latifah's Had it up 2 Here"
"One Mo' Time"
"Give Me Your Love"
"Fly Girl"

Now... if you don't listen to anything else in this post, do yourself a favor and get slayed by the song below. "How Do I Love Thee" is the business.

"How Do I Love Thee"

This post was going to be a lot longer, chronicling my favorite 90's femcee's. But my... friend... just came over unexpectedly and I gotta go!

3phemeral

Reading the review for the Gaga/Bennet album reminded me of one of my favorite female rappers from the 90's, Queen Latifiah. Which, of course, caused me to reminisce about the female mc's of days gone by.
(Back before Lil Kim ruined female mc's forever by popularized rapping about ones vagina constantly.)

I became aware of Queen Latifah in 1989 (age 13) I hadn't particularly paid much attention to hip hop at this point and was currently getting my life to Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth. Milli Vanilli was everything at the time. Jody Watley was slaying (as per.) Like A Flop came out that year. My daddy Prince had dropped the Batman Soundtrack, and was doing the damn thing, (as per.) So, I had very little use for rap music.

Then came along Ms Dana Owens. Her flow was everything. The music was on point. She was socially conscious, and life was recieved.
iZ9Q6SWWqlCv7.jpg

If you like Azealia Banks, you'd like "Come Into My House." If you're into the feminist message of "***Flawless," "Ladies First." Might be right up your alley.

Her 2nd album is the bomb. My mom wore this album (then cassette) out, so I had no choice but love it.
ibjblltjiu6GBc.jpg

"Latifah's Had it up 2 Here"
"One Mo' Time"
"Give Me Your Love"
"Fly Girl"

Now... if you don't listen to anything else in this post, do yourself a favor and get slayed by the song below. "How Do I Love Thee" is the business.

"How Do I Love Thee"

This post was going to be a lot longer, chronicling my favorite 90's femcee's. But my... friend... just came over unexpectedly and I gotta go!

Love when you do these posts. :)

I don't remember many Dana O. songs, but I do recall:

ibkMrAfARDcJD6.gif

Zutroy

As much as I like Taylor, she's probably already peaked with 'Red' and select songs from 'Speak Now'.

Britney on the other hand has given us more than a decade of mega hits, memorable music videos and is one of the sweetest girls in the industry!

And even if you don't like Britney, she's given you more than enough drama and material over the years to keep the haters happy. I mean, Cyno probably wouldn't have any posts if it wasn't for her!

So PopGAF, as you enter the polls PM Soulscribe, remember, a vote for Britney is a vote for yourself.

Thank you.

200.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't have any particular affinity for Britney, but we kinda wanted to see her show in Vegas next month... but she's not doing any the whole time we're going to be there. Hm, blessing or curse

Vazduh

"Stay" kinda sucks, let's be real. Same with "Pour It Up." Definitely not her best work.
Just go with your heart

And what's that it's beating? brit-ney,brit-ney,brit-ney...
I love Taylor, but Britney's catalog is simply too big to ignore...and I still bump Lucky every now and then.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Kesha was robbed but moving on, Britney of course gets the vote

Nemesis_

Benny Blanco and Ryan Tedder have worked on Gwen's album.

and have we talked about this

7uEwE0Q.jpg

October 17th, 2014

1.) Your Love
2.) Electric Blue (feat. TI)
3.) On The Rocks
4.) Heartbreaker
5.) God of War
6.) Girl with a Diamond Heart
7.) Just A Girl
8.) First TIme
9.) Bang
10.) Big Fat Lie
11.) Run
12.) Little Boy
13.) Unison
14.) Cold World​

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Benny Blanco does good shit so I'm here for it
also here fore nicole even though that cover looks like a mess

Vazduh

In super-important news, someone farted on Demon during her meet'n'greet.

Just finished a meet and greet. Someone legitimately got nervous and farted on me. I guess there's a first time for everything.. Right?

ROTTEN DUDE!!!! ����. RT @SusanLucy_: @ddlovato was it one of those rotten egg smelling ones or did you just hear the noise?!

mGqG2Jc.gif

Poor ha.

YULIA VOLKOVA of t.A.T.u. fame has been saying some interesting things

Apparently this is the clip. I don't know what's more tragic, her face, the fact that she said all that on national television, or that some of the audience was actually approving what she said. Disgusting.

Anyway...

1jfQzEE.gif

Matt_

Do I get lonely at all?
No 'cos Jamie and Johnny and Jack keep me warm
This wasn't my fault
I don't cry, god no I don't cry
Could you just leave it alone
You keep haunting my nights
You keep asking me twice
If I miss you at all
And I won't lie
Though I try

Oh Kind of,
Sometimes
Maybe
ooooh ooooh
Kind of,
Sometimes
Maybe

tumblr_nc120f2qdQ1tlhy33o1_400.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Vote for an icon. Vote in solidarity with people suffering from mental health issues. Vote for a living legend. Vote for the person who made Toxic which is comfortably better than anything your fave will ever release.

Vote for Britney.

iboNbZqT16OwbG.gif

cory64

Britney is a legend. She was the closest thing to a true pop spectacle I witnessed in my lifetime. The videos. The VMA performances. The Meltdown. The Comeback. and most importantly the decade straight of pure Bops. She is everything a celebrity obsessed gay could ever wish for.

Taylor? She's been cute but hardly legendary.

Matt_

Off to go and be baptised in the holy aura of Jesus Ware. If you're watching the stream look for the drunk in a pink and blue checked shirt
Little Dragons are supporting, I've heard of them but can't recall any of their shit, anyone know how they are live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom