• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

tumblr_nbwwitEfDn1rq7z94o1_r1_400.gif

ULEegzZ.gif

I prefer this one, but thanks for reminding me of it. :)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
This round is easier than I expected. Taylor is kind of pretty I guess, and a sweet girl in real life from what I've seen at least (finding out she's a cat person earned some points from me) but those of you voting Taylor OVER Britney need to re-examine your priorities.

- Britney is an utter MESS these days, but the fact is she still draws the attention of people both who love her and hate her enough to give her nicknames like Knee, Broken Spearit, Brittle-knee Jean, Taylor has no nicknames cuz nobody even remembers she EXISTS when she's not promoting another by-the-numbers album

- Knee can release a horrid album like Shitney Jean and yet some of the songs on it are STILL better than juvenile pandering TRASH like Shake it Off. I legit have hated every Tay song I've ever heard, meanwhile Knee has quite a few smashes I still use on the reg

- Knee, though she was drugged up to the point of having only basic motor skills, STILL got paid millions to judge a singing competition at a point in her career when people say she's "over", will Tay be able to do so in 10 years time? She'll be a FOOTNOTE in country music history, nothing more

- Both are equally untalented, but Britney will ALWAYS be better just for the sheer fact that she released one of POP'S most iconic albums, her magnum opus: IN THE ZONE. Taylor could NEVER.

- since they both aren't great singers, it all comes down to stage presence and charisma. Even now as a broken shell of her former self, Knee manages to be more entertaining on stage than the blander-than-unbuttered-toast with no rhythm Taylor:

tumblr_inline_naem7hsVoa1sge461.gif
VS
tumblr_naug61qieI1qfoj4do1_400.gif

My vote goes to the iconic trainwreck Britney Jean Spears <3

the dutchess is fucking marvellous

and i can't stop listening to london bridge

help

When I come to the clubs, step aside (Oh, shit)
Part the seas, don't be having me in the line (Oh, shit)
V.I.P because you know I gotta shine (Oh, shit)
I'm Fergie Ferg
And me love you long time (Oh, shit)

All my girls get down on the floor (Oh, shit)
Back to back drop it down real low (Oh, shit)
I'm such a lady but I'm dancing like a ho (Oh, shit)
'cause you know I don't give a fuck so here we go! (Oh, shit)

i'm perched for L.A. Love (La La)

- since they both aren't great singers, it all comes down to stage presence and charisma. Even now as a broken shell of her former self, Knee manages to be more entertaining on stage than the blander-than-unbuttered-toast with no rhythm Taylor:

VS
tumblr_naug61qieI1qfoj4do1_400.gif

How does this even make sense

At least Taylor has enthusiasm and looks like she gives a shit about her performances

Bladenic

I always find it hilariously delusional when fools try to predict that a huge star will no longer be relevant in 10 years. Especially when Taylor is close to the decade mark and shows no signs of stopping.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
tho I dont want to shit on Taylor, Britney just has a better package. Better videos, better performances, and obviously has spawned several copycats. Taylor on the other hand her videos are EMBARRASSING or just plain boring, her performances lack impact as she is unable to command a stage and lastly she has not influenced the industry in anyway, she just comes and goes.

BUT more importantly Britney deals with sex which in any case can deliver more bops than sappy love

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The fact is that as good as Taylor is, and I don't dislike her by any means, Britney Spears is Britney Spears. She's easily the most iconic pop star of the new millennium. There is only one choice that makes sense.

And that choice is Britney, in case you were wondering.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I never gave Jessie Ware a chance before cuz I always thought y'all were talking about Jessie J when she was brought up (who I think kind of sucks tbh). But speaking of someone with actual talent (and beauty), I took Vazduh's advice and spent today listening to Jessie Ware's full debut album at work.......

Jessie_Ware_Devotion_400x400-400x400.jpg

LORD. HAVE. MERCY.

She's immediately rocketed her way into my faves list, and Devotion is legit the best album I've heard in the past year and a half. (Sorry ARTPOP, it's been a long time coming but it's not me, it's you). I've checked out some of her videos too..........

Her VOICE.
1Oymt.gif

Her ELEGANCE and GRACE.
1Oymt.gif

Her PHYSICAL BEAUTY.
1Oymt.gif

I think I'm in love <3

I never gave Jessie Ware a chance before cuz I always thought y'all were talking about Jessie J when she was brought up (who I think kind of sucks tbh). But speaking of someone with actual talent (and beauty), I took Vazduh's advice and spent today listening to Jessie Ware's full debut album at work.......

LORD. HAVE. MERCY.

She's immediately rocketed her way into my faves list, and Devotion is legit the best album I've heard in the past year and a half. (Sorry ARTPOP, it's been a long time coming but it's not me, it's you). I've checked out some of her videos too..........

Her VOICE.
1Oymt.gif

Her ELEGANCE and GRACE.
1Oymt.gif

Her PHYSICAL BEAUTY.
1Oymt.gif

I think I'm in love <3

Yes, receive your baptism by the Lord and savior Jesus Ware !

33acd5d.jpg

royalan

Go on YouTube.

Watch clips of Britney's legendary Hotel Onyx Tour.

There's no way you could justify a vote for Taylor after that.

I was on my phone earlier, let me rihply rn &#128064;

- Britney is an utter MESS these days, but the fact is she still draws the attention of people both who love her and hate her enough to give her nicknames like Knee, Broken Spearit, Brittle-knee Jean, Taylor has no nicknames cuz nobody even remembers she EXISTS when she's not promoting another by-the-numbers album

Factually incorrect. Basically, ever since Fearless came out, Taylor's been more talked about than Britney was.

Receipt: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=britney spears, taylor swift&cmpt=q

The fact Britney had 3 top 10s in 2011 and barely managed to be more searched than Taylor who was between eras. Pathetic.

And by the way, no one knows or uses those nicknames in real life.

- Knee can release a horrid album like Shitney Jean and yet some of the songs on it are STILL better than juvenile pandering TRASH like Shake it Off. I legit have hated every Tay song I've ever heard, meanwhile Knee has quite a few smashes I still use on the reg

d e c e a s e d at you having to use the most generic song she must have ever released to make Siri Jean look good. I admit SIO isn't her best work, but it remains more sonically solid than everything on Britney Jean except maybe Work Bitch. That is a fact, let's be honest.

Also, I don't know why we should care that you've hated every Taylor song you've heard. I mean, this is coming from the self proclaimed pop devotee who literally only YESTERDAY became acquainted with Rihanna's discography. I wouldn't be shocked if Shake if Off is the only Taylor song you know.

iHp2ao8Xa73eG.gif

- Knee, though she was drugged up to the point of having only basic motor skills, STILL got paid millions to judge a singing competition at a point in her career when people say she's "over", will Tay be able to do so in 10 years time? She'll be a FOOTNOTE in country music history, nothing more

You mean the singing competition that completely tanked and doesn't exist anymore?
eek.gif
The one that suffered immense ratings drops as soon as Britney joined?
eek.gif
Not really a point to brag about, sis
8be5ead6.gif
, especially when Xtina of all people managed to make something of herself as a reality judge.

And Taylor is already a lot more than a footnote in country music history, she's pretty much an industry icon. The CMA awarded her the Pinnacle award (Garth Brooks has been the only other recipient). The only industry award Britney has won that is even remotely comparable is a fucking VMA Video Vanguard. And her acceptance speech for that award was cut short so she could introduce Beyoncé to the stage
ahh.gif

- Both are equally untalented, but Britney will ALWAYS be better just for the sheer fact that she released one of POP'S most iconic albums, her magnum opus: IN THE ZONE. Taylor could NEVER.

No, Taylor is leaps and bounds more talented than Britney Spears ever was. The sis could perform well at her peak, there's no denying that, but musically, she really had nothing to offer. Poor voice, no writing talent, little to no music knowledge... And that's OK, really. I'm not here to serve real music lover. But let's not LIE and say she's on the same level as the girl who wrote the lyrics and music for an entire album by herself.
f58a8b71.gif

- since they both aren't great singers,

air. let's not get it twisted. Taylor isn't a great singer, but the other one can't and won't sing.

Also, I don't know why we should care that you've hated every Taylor song you've heard. I mean, this is coming from the self proclaimed pop devotee who literally only YESTERDAY became acquainted with Rihanna's discography. I wouldn't be shocked if Shake if Off is the only Taylor song you know.

SCREAMING

SaintZ

I voted for Britney but still YASSSSS READ HA.

enigmatic_alex44

I was on my phone earlier, let me rihply rn &#128064;

I respect your reply Booty Patrol, but it just kills me, you Taylor stans aren't too dissimilar from Beyonce stans, y'all think your fave is flawless and can do no wrong lol! NONE of my faves are flawless (besides Sade of course <3) I've mentioned that numerous times.

I mean, this is coming from the self proclaimed pop devotee who literally only YESTERDAY became acquainted with Rihanna's discography. I wouldn't be shocked if Shake if Off is the only Taylor song you know.
iHp2ao8Xa73eG.gif

LMFAOOOOOOOOO just WHEN did I proclaim to be a "pop devotee"??? I love pop music (along with pretty much all music with the exception of country and most rap) and enjoy this thread but I have my faves, sometimes I pick up new faves along the way, and I stick by them. I'm not here to receipt stan whoever is hot at the moment (not saying you're doing that with Taylor, you've had a Tay avatar as long as I can remember actually). My girl Gaga is a complete flop @ the moment but unlike others, I haven't dropped her.

I've heard Taylor's singles over the years btw. Can I NAME one besides Shake it Off? Of course not, I'd need to google them cuz that's how unmemorable her music and persona is to me! The only reason I still remember Shake is cuz I haven't had enough time to HEAL from the WOUND it inflicted on my ears!

I'm not listening to anyone with a Jennifer Fauxrence avatar

Then do it for Booty and ha flawless drag

I've heard Taylor's singles over the years btw. Can I NAME one besides Shake it Off? Of course not, I'd need to google them cuz that's how unmemorable her music and persona is to me! The only reason I still remember Shake is cuz I haven't had enough time to HEAL from the WOUND it inflicted on my ears!

So you hate her music based only on her singles, which admittedly haven't been good choices?

Girl....

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
To reiterate, only a vote for Britney is a vote for truth and freedom.

Or to put it another way, when even Royalan thinks that Britney is the best choice out of the alternatives offered, you know that it's time to vote Britney.

IrishNinja

Taylord has better taste in men, too. Lest we forget Knee and KEVIN.

does britney write shitty songs about them tho wait what about justin

LORD. HAVE. MERCY.

Her VOICE.
1Oymt.gif

Her ELEGANCE and GRACE.
1Oymt.gif

Her PHYSICAL BEAUTY.
1Oymt.gif

I think I'm in love <3

see i was just about to post that ive had sometimes maybe on loop since like yesterday and i really need to stop sleeping on her, guess this is a good starting point?

enigmatic_alex44

I'm not listening to anyone with a Jennifer Fauxrence avatar

seethe, what's wrong with 2 time nominee and 1 time Oscar winner A List actress Jennifer Lawrence?

jennifer-lawrence-disgusted-gif.gif

Booty has only has a Taylor avatar for a couple of months if that :rip:

so around the amount of time that I've been more heavily posting then?

Then do it for Booty and ha flawless drag

So you hate her music based only on her singles, which admittedly haven't been good choices?

Girl....

uhhhh so WHY would none of her singles be "good choices", who is guiding her career? How ELSE are you supposed to become interested in someone? If I hadn't heard Smooth Operator on the radio years ago, I never would have checked out more of Sade's non-single music. Singles are supposed to get people interested in an artist's music. If Taylor ever released a single that was good, I would give her a fair shot (as I've mentioned more than once I like her as a person, NOT her music)

enigmatic_alex44

see i was just about to post that ive had sometimes maybe on loop since like yesterday and i really need to stop sleeping on her, guess this is a good starting point?

YES!!!!!!!! The album is AMAZING IrishNinja, check it out ASAP! As I recall you like Sade?

Jessie Ware is the closest I've ever found to someone with a similar elegance and vibe, you're GUARANTEED to love it! :)

IrishNinja

YES!!!!!!!! The album is AMAZING IrishNinja, check it out ASAP! As I recall you like Sade?

Jessie Ware is the closest I've ever found to someone with a similar elegance and vibe, you're GUARANTEED to love it! :)

i do indeed! i think that's part of the vibe i was getting off that track, sounds like devotion'll be right up my alley! thanks E, queuing up spotify tonight~

uhhhh so WHY would none of her singles be "good choices", who is guiding her career? How ELSE are you supposed to become interested in someone? If I hadn't heard Smooth Operator on the radio years ago, I never would have checked out more of Sade's non-single music. Singles are supposed to get people interested in an artist's music. If Taylor ever released a single that was good, I would give her a fair shot (as I've mentioned more than once I like her as a person, NOT her music)

Her singles from Red were weak, but she HAS released good singles. Back to December, Love Story, Mine, You Belong With Me, and Fifteen, just to name a few, are all solid.

But her strength lies in her albums. Red is one of the best of the last decade, and there are songs on there that should have been singles but weren't. Enchanted also comes to mind. It's a fucking crime that it was paid dust.

So don't write her off, and at least try out her stuff before you judge. If you don't like her after actually listening to her full discography, then that's your business.

IrishNinja

Mau ®;130682972 said:
I like that ever since the Tourney started GAFHOP has been participating more in here. OT-X has that crossover appeal.

we mad competitive b

Devotion isn't a very good album tbh. All of the tracks I've heard so far from her upcoming album sound better than most of Devotion.

it was a mixed bag, but i liked parts - the bonus track of strangest feeling is nice
oh hey this YT playlist of hers has a cover of bobby caldwell's do for love, neat

oh yeah please link more stuff off her next album then!

Just waiting on the inevitable Rihannihilation.

gaf-hop equivalent of stanning eminem in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom