• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

The black madonna vs the real madonna?
Or madonna and bey

Who else do we have left, Charli, Robyn, Kelly, anyone else?
edit; oh Katy Perry and Jessie ware

Maybe its rihanna vs Katy

he wouldn't be getting 'wet' (inappropriate) for a contest involving katy, because she's predetermined to lose against anyone else, even kerry
probably madonna v someone else

i think my moving-in playlist for tomorrow is just going to be ten, so that's a good mission statement (i'll skip i'll stand by you and bcylm obvs, nobody got time for slow ballads)

gwen stefani single impressions:
All right, y’all, I’ve been trying to think of the most accurate way to describe the song to you. First – IT’S GOOD. You can definitely tell Ryan Tedder wrote it. A lot of the elements you can hear in OneRepublic’s latest single “Love Runs Out” and Adele’s “Rumor Has It” (which he wrote with her) are there – that driving beat in particular; the short, crazy catchy, repetitive vocal lines in the chorus, with men chanting “ooh”s after it which all together give it that, “tribal” feel that’s been in a trend in pop music lately. The instrumentation in the verses reminds me of that Jeremiah, song “Don’t Tell ‘Em” except Gwen’s song is lighter and not urban sounding, just the best description I can find. It’s TOTAL Top 40, way more so than Hot AC. Also they are not sure about the 10/6 release date. They need to coordinate with the Voice. That’s most of the info I have and all I can share. Looking good for a solo album by the holidays and YES I got confirmation the label knows there is new No Doubt in the works too!! No details about that but I am guessing it will be poppy and everyone seems to be hoping Gwen uses the solo time to draw a line back to the band. There you go!

this is apparently a fergie snippet

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't feel good about any of the remaining matchup possibilities. I don't really want any of them to go out, though I'm least invested in Katy.

Touchdown

Banned
Rihanna vs. Beyonce would be good.

ibsoIpRSFRCU1F.gif

Cynosure

Taylor Swift
critical acclaim ✔
commercial success ✔
relevant ✔

Broken Spearit
critical acclaim ✗
commercial success ✗
relevant ✗
lobotomized ✔

gee i wonder who this round's winner should be

iLop8HLL6mkbU.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Taylor Swift
critical acclaim ✔
commercial success ✔
relevant ✔

Broken Spearit
critical acclaim ✗
commercial success ✗
relevant ✗
lobotomized ✔

gee i wonder who this round's winner should be

iLop8HLL6mkbU.gif

lol
if we can't count britney as a commercial success all of our faves are fucking flops

We've now received enough of a differential to call a winner! Thanks again to everyone for PMing me each round, and I really really really appreciate it and I hope it's been fun so far. I'm hoping the turnout keeps building as the more notable pop stars start getting called to the ring!

Without further ado, here are our Battle 05 results!!

iqQNh29duHaCh.png

Britney Spears started the match out in total massacre mode, garnering about 4 times the number of votes that Taylor Swift accumulated, but as usual, night 2 always comes around to tip the scales a bit, and the two were in a much closer race this morning. By the afternoon I received a couple of switched votes as well as several more in support of Britney Jean, and here we are.

So with five battles down, let's take a look at all of the girls who've competed so far. Who's received the most votes during these fights? Here's the list:

Highest to lowest number of votes said:
1) LADY GAGA
2) BRITNEY SPEARS
3) MARIAH CAREY
4) BJORK
5) KYLIE MINOGUE
6) GRIMES
7) KE$HA
8) LANA DEL REY
8) TAYLOR SWIFT
10) ELLIE GOULDING

Stay tuned for ROUND 01, BATTLE 06, which will be posted in a hot minute. It's a gay nightmare!!

Only a handful of competitors left to fight it out: Charli XCX, Rihanna, Madonna, Beyonce, Katy Perry, Robyn, Kelly Clarkson and Jessie Ware are all sitting in the waiting room. Let's call two more to the ring!

One of our duelers has Criminal Intent. Will the other Get Outta Her Way? HERE COMES BATTLE 06:

i4iSOcf58T005.png

Hmm, that's strange. Why is Kylie back?

It seems that with my choice of 18 entrants, some of our Round 01 winners are forced to face off against a SECOND entrant before moving on to Round 02. This is of course a randomized choice, and it just so happens that KYLIE MINOGUE was the unlucky sucker to have to face not just one, but two queens on her path to the Winners Bracket. There is one other unfortunate soul facing a similar trek, and guuurl is she facing a titan. But we'll leave that for Battle 07, yes?

Kylie's fate on the Winners Bracket is not sealed. Can she get through the hugely nominated Robyn? Make your voices heard and PM me your opinion!

You can vote by clicking here.

This matchup makes me cry inside tbh

so basically we could have had annie and janet jackson as well anyway

considering that whatever you're using must be best fit for 20 people

?

maybe i need to see visuals, slightly confused

oh well, robyn ftw

so basically we could have had annie and janet jackson as well anyway

considering that whatever you're using must be best fit for 20 people

?

16 seemed like too few and 20 seemed like too many. Plus having a handicap thrown in kind of cracked me up. Sorryboutit

EDIT: I'll probably show the tournament bracket at the end, rather than having everyone see who the next matchup is. :)

Mumei

This is hard for me. I like some Robyn songs and some Kylie songs.

Someone try to sway me, preferably by linking to songs you think I'd like.

royalan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

As much as I respect Robyn for putting out 1 fantastic album spread out across 3 mediocre ones, I have to give this to Kylie.

Kylie Minogue really IS the Unlikely Princess of Pop, and while it's easy to pin her as a Dance diva tailor-made for the gays, that does a huge disservice to her overall discography. She is the only Pop Star who can be called "The European Madonna" and have it be true. The only other pop star who matches Madonna's longevity and sheer number of sonic and physical transformations. Though people dog her for never breaking the US (and getting the sales bump that would have came from accomplishing that), Kylie Minogue nevertheless stands tall as one of Pop's True Queens. Even Madonna knows the tea:

ZLttf7s.jpg

As impressive as Robyn is as a musician, she's just not consistent enough to deserve dethroning a literal Goddess.

Vote Kylie.

This is hard for me. I like some Robyn songs and some Kylie songs.

Someone try to sway me, preferably by linking to songs you think I'd like.

Putting together a mega-post as we speak.

16 seemed like too few and 20 seemed like too many. Plus having a handicap thrown in kind of cracked me up. Sorryboutit

EDIT: I'll probably show the tournament bracket at the end, rather than having everyone see who the next matchup is. :)

don't worry, I loaded up challonge and I saw how it all fits together and why this is the way it is

i just needed a visual of a blank bracket for it all to click with me

actually, adding another two would have made it even more complicated, lmao

igzMb0Ls29JdD.png

nnnnn

don't worry, I loaded up challonge and I saw how it all fits together and why this is the way it is

i just needed a visual of a blank bracket for it all to click with me

actually, adding another two would have made it even more complicated, lmao

Yeah, I remember trying out different numbers and 18 ended up being the most reasonable choice. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom