• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Taylor article...how is it gonna claim that this album isn't about boys but then go on to describe an EPs worth of songs about Harry Styles
jO7SYIO.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Xtina in Dubai:

joHk4YBmVGWt5.jpg

That can't be a recent pic, didn't Xtincta just pop out a kid?

How did she get into the best shape of her post-music career life so quickly O_O

Although kylie does slinky-sexy better than basically everyone else in pop.

TOTALLY agree

Can we talk about how Rocket is one of the sexiest songs of all time. Like..

I can't even think of any song out there that's sexier to me. Like Sunday morning sex before church

IMO this is the sexiest (or one of the sexiest) songs/videos I can think of

Slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omrp4QR_Rpo

Alrus

What is Lady Gaga doing in super homophobic Dubai of all places? :|

Also Skirt slays, Kylie Minogue is amazing. I never understood why the US mainstream public was never here for her. Nobody does Sexy as effortlessly as Kylie.

I honestly think either that or Haunted are the best songs in her discography. The moment her voice cracks/gets raspy at "You ain't right for doing it to me like that, daddy.." and then the last few lines

We're so much more than pointless fixtures
Instagram pictures
Consumers
What about that ching-ching-ching (what about that, what about that ching, ching)
Baby boomers (baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby)
Cyclical trends, tryna fit in
Home is where the heart is
Goddammit I'm comfortable in my skin
And you're
Comfortable in my skin
You look so comfortable in my skin, skin, skin

Beautiful lyrics.
yes_and_tears.gif

ok

but what about the actual best song in her discography, 'Jealous'?

I honestly think either that or Haunted are the best songs in her discography. The moment her voice cracks/gets raspy at "You ain't right for doing it to me like that, daddy.." and then the last few lines

We're so much more than pointless fixtures
Instagram pictures
Consumers
What about that ching-ching-ching (what about that, what about that ching, ching)
Baby boomers (baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby)
Cyclical trends, tryna fit in
Home is where the heart is
Goddammit I'm comfortable in my skin
And you're
Comfortable in my skin
You look so comfortable in my skin, skin, skin

Beautiful lyrics.
yes_and_tears.gif

Yessss!! That outro verse is just heavenly. The whole song has all the ups and downs of a romp in the sheets too. Starts with the initiation (let me sit this ass on ya) and foreplay (let me take this off/will you watch me) then the chorus plays out the actual sex, with the verse in between them being the commentary (I do this like it's my profession), then it goes into a kind of careful back and forth (steady, rock, steady, rock), then starts building and adding emotional appeal (higher, harder, got me screamin to the lord boy) then it just explodes with that flawless run, then it's just the cute gushing that you quoted, like a cigarrette after the climax. It narrates sex perfectly. I love it so much :O

Haunted is one of a kind too. Honestly if I were to rank what I thought where Beyonce's best 15 songs, half of them would come from Self-Titled.

rude

Banned
ok

but what about the actual best song in her discography, 'Jealous'?
I like it when the song speeds up in the middle, but it's really slow. Suffers from the same tempo problem as Flawless w/that throwaway feminist monologue half-assedly thrown into it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Can't remember if it was posted in the last OT, but Nick Jonas' new song is quite good.

wait
nick jonas giving me Jessie Ware teas
what on earth

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Kylie Minogue is amazing. I never understood why the US mainstream public was never here for her.

I know, right? :(
Kylie had EVERYTHING to smash in the US/Canada, and I was sure she would do it in 2001 with Can't Get You Out of My Head, it was playing everywhere (well in Canada at least lol) and is her most recognizable hit over here

Then I remember the mainstream public is part of the reason why Fist Brown still has a career and.... well good things don't always come to those who deserve it *sigh* Oh well, at least the other continents appreciate Kylie

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I just want a lover
Nothing that is complicated
I don't wanna know you
We don't have to talk about it
Let us both discover
There is nothing better
Than just lying here together
Staring out the bedroom window

I just want a lover
Could you be the person for me
Nothing sentimental
I want you to satisfy me

I just want a lover
To take away the pain
I just want a lover
To fool around again
Fridays seem so easy
Saturday is hard
I just want a lover
To ease my broken heart
To ease my broken heart

kind of serving up proto-jesus-ware teas tbh

[edit] lordt, and Come On, so fuckin good

get into it trollops

enigmatic_alex44

Gaga doesn't give a shit anymore and I'm loving her feisty side

If Lady Gaga's performing onstage, you better listen. And if you don't, she'll stop singing.

When a loud crowd still chatted at the Plaza Hotel where Gaga was performing jazz tunes Friday night, she stopped in the middle of her second song because of the noise.

"Will you (expletive) shut up? We're playing some jazz," she told the crowd of a few hundred in New York City. "Goddamn rich people."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/09/06/lady-gaga-tells-audience-to-expletive-shut-up/

ahh.gif
ahh.gif
ahh.gif

Vazduh

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
why isn't will young making more music like this? :(

[edit] oh he's got an alber coming next year. slay a bit.

The Flop

Banned
Thanks to pitster03, I discovered Kim Cesarion's album. Nothing groundbreaking/Earth-shattering, only solid Swedish pop, but certain songs, like this one:

Kim Cesarion - Girls

are something I wanted from Justin Timberlake's last year's comeback.
With slightly less silly lyrics, of course.

Runaway, Silent Valentine and Good Things tho

Yasss stan a bit!

enigmatic_alex44

Ariana's living up to the spotless Grande name yet again *sarcasm*

http://www.celebitchy.com/386083/ar...unhinged_diva_during_her_visit_to_australia_/

POCKET rocket popette Ariana Grande has an extra-large list of diva demands for her Australian chatfest. And most of them are don’ts rather than dos, resulting in the abrupt cancellation of Grande’s photo shoots today. All media who were granted an audience with the 21-year-old singer were instructed to steer clear of delicate topics during her promotional visit this week.

DON’T ask questions about:

(1) Relationships/Dating/Ex-boyfriends
(2) Mariah Carey
(3) Sam & Cat/Jennette McCurdy
(4) Working/collaborating with Justin Bieber
(5) Her grandfather passing away

ok....not much of an interview when you are censoring what can be asked, but seems reasonable

Photographers were also given last-minute instructions from the Problem star’s minders.
*DON’T use natural light.
*DO shoot only from the left side of her face.

OK, so your interviewers aren't allowed to bring up Mariah Carey, but you're going to emulate her YET AGAIN? Didn't Mariah always have a weird thing about one side of her face, like she refused to be photographed if it was on her right side, and entire daytime talk show sets (like Rosie O'donnell) would have to be rearranged to accommodate that strange quirk? Now Ariana suddenly has a thing about her left side?

After a few minutes she left the hotel suite, complaining to her reps that she was unhappy with how her top looked in the poses. Everyone assumed she had just gone back to her room at The Darling Hotel to change her outfit.

The remaining photographers waiting to capture the Bang Bang pop star’s close-up had already been put through their paces by the entertainer’s creative directors. Grande insists on being shot from the left and if you have lights, use those instead of the sunlight streaming in through the window on the gorgeous Sydney spring afternoon. After another 20 minutes of waiting for Grande to switch outfits, one of her representatives returned, demanding the mX photographer delete all his photos.

He refused and was later approached at his car by a member of the singer’s security team who attempted to prevent him closing the tailgate on his car as he stowed his equipment.

VILE.

Glad her true colors are coming out so soon, I was almost fooled into liking her after Problem and Break Free.

Vazduh

OK, so your interviewers aren't allowed to bring up Mariah Carey, but you're going to emulate her YET AGAIN? Didn't Mariah always have a weird thing about one side of her face, like she refused to be photographed if it was on her right side, and entire daytime talk show sets (like Rosie O'donnell) would have to be rearranged to accommodate that strange quirk? Now Ariana suddenly has a thing about her left side?

Drag ha.

Although even all that won't stop me from enjoying a couple of her songs (The Way, Love Me Harder, Be My Baby...)

Hm, it's a bit much upon the first listen, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Ariana's living up to the spotless Grande name yet again *sarcasm*

http://www.celebitchy.com/386083/ar...unhinged_diva_during_her_visit_to_australia_/

ok....not much of an interview when you are censoring what can be asked, but seems reasonable

VILE.

Glad her true colors are coming out so soon, I was almost fooled into liking her after Problem and Break Free.

I'm sure this was all taken out of context. You're entitled to your opinion though :)

SaintZ

Yeah, that Tove Lo song is like, girl slow down a bit :$

I'll keep listening to it to see if it changes my mind because I'm not feeling it too much rn.

Touchdown

Banned

VILE.

The "photograph me from only the right side" thing from Mariah came about because a producer or manager of hers when she first came on the scene said she wasn't as pretty when photographed from her other side so she's always had a stigma about it. :( Maybe Ariana can't be seen by a certain side because of a bald patch no one knows about?

izxzsjtlazDNy.gif

Mau ®

The interview makes me worried for 1989 tbh. I don't much care about the lyrical content as I care about how it sounds, which doesn't really give much away. I already know what a Taylor Swift album reads like.

I wanna read about the crazy 80's synths she's doing. I wanna read about what she's inspired by when she says the album is based on late 80's pop. Eh.

Mau ®;129067916 said:
The interview makes me worried for 1989 tbh. I don't much care about the lyrical content as I care about how it sounds, which doesn't really give much away. I already know what a Taylor Swift album reads like.

I wanna read about the crazy 80's synths she's doing. I wanna read about what she's inspired by when she says the album is based on late 80's pop. Eh.

Taylor's always been a songwriter first though, it shouldn't be surprising that she'd be talking about the lyrical content more than anything.

Mau ®

Taylor's always been a songwriter first though, it shouldn't be surprising that she'd be talking about the lyrical content more than anything.

Eh. True.

But this is her first pop album. The sound here is more important than the lyrics this time, I think.

I hope she has Her very own "Bette Davis Eyes" *.*

Nemesis_

Y'all are useless. The thread has only been going for three/six pages and yet we've had three different stories repeated.

ieZUHcwBdHXuQ.gif

A mess

Mau ®;129067916 said:

Girl, it was the exact opposite for me. Hearing her talk about the inspiration for the songs and lyrical content calmed me down, SIO really does seem like a one time thing on the album.

But it would have been nice to hear about the sounds on the album, the Red era RS interview gave us some tea about that, I recall.

Mau ®;129069836 said:
Eh. True.

But this is her first pop album. The sound here is more important than the lyrics this time, I think.

I hope she has Her very own "Bette Davis Eyes" *.*

I'm fine with her not changing her methods though. Just the style. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom