• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

Yes and all those people are dead or injured now

vBGNM7s.gif

Grizzo

I mean, people were making fun of Becky G, and in the end Shower actually did pretty well - it has sold over 750,000 copies in the US alone!!!

lol yeah I remember Becky G and Shower getting shit on everywhere on the internet (and here too, obviously). People were ashamed of liking the song. I'm glad it did so well in the end. It was kind of a sleeper hit, come to think of it!

All About You is bound to do better than Chasing The Sun (though it's not saying much). It's clearly a better song and she should have come back with that song instead of CTS.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Rita Ora has more votes than Ariana right now anyway, good for FIRO

kljsfcnsdhflcs
the fact that either has any votes is worrying
let me start compiling my definitive list
iA0OB5JANiuGB.gif

SaintZ

I haven't voted either but I'm lazy to come up with a list tbh.

Vote for Avril tho, I doubt she has any votes :$

Is Taylor flopping? You haven't mentioned her once.

She's around 8th place. There will be 18 in the final roster so she's in a good place, plus the rankings are shuffling around constantly. She was 2nd or 3rd at one point but she got smoked by some indies recently.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Honestly my votes filled up far quicker than I thought they would
Had to leave a few artists that probably deserve some more recognition (Sorry Marina, Katy B, Lily Allen and Loreen)
I will say it is an absolute crime that we can't vote for groups because Gods Aloud have been robbed of the award they deserve (also a shame we can't vote for guys, not that any would get on my list but just an odd choice)

Alrus

Damn, that Nick Jonas song is amazing. Who would have thought? Hope it does well for him.

And All about you is soooo much better than Chasing the Sun that performance was pretty awful though. (also are the cheering in talent show faked? I've never heard a public screaming so much during an entire song...).

Tove Lo new song is amazing too. It's a bit overwhelming at first but after a few listen it's amazing. I think I like it better than Habits.

Matt_

Gwen Stefani ‏@gwenstefani 4m
On my way to apple launch w dr dre ⚡️🎉🎈👏👏👏 gx

BxGnDQwIQAARG11.jpg

She was really the true queen of the vmas with her finger clapping shade and now she is going to grace the tech world with her presence
The comeback is real

Vazduh

lol yeah I remember Becky G and Shower getting shit on everywhere on the internet (and here too, obviously). People were ashamed of liking the song. I'm glad it did so well in the end. It was kind of a sleeper hit, come to think of it!

All About You is bound to do better than Chasing The Sun (though it's not saying much). It's clearly a better song and she should have come back with that song instead of CTS.

I can't deny, at first it was fun to make Becky G curse jokes, but it's become obvious that the girl is here to stay. Even if she doesn't make it as a singer, she can always live comfortably as a songwriter. Moreover, since she's practically Dr. Luke's henchwoman, I wouldn't be surprised if she got into producing, too.

As for Hilary, the song could go either way, but it all depends on whether the radio stations play it or not. It has a bigger chance than Chasing The Flop, that's for sure.

Damn, that Nick Jonas song is amazing. Who would have thought? Hope it does well for him.

I agree! It's such a good song (I've had it on repeat today), and I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to his album now.

Monument - The Inevitable End version is punching me hard

the chorus, those vocoder effects

I like it more than the album version. A-ma-zing.

Vazduh

godels,

giphy.gif

Oh, wow. Among the shitload of new albums and EPs that are coming soon, there's another one on the horizon. This is going to be a busy season.

This time it's Josef Salvat, the Australian singer who's responsible for one of my last year's favorite songs, Every Night.

His EP is dropping later this month and it's called In Your Prime. Shoot and Run is the first single.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I have a playlist called BODY TALK (all caps is important) and it has every song from all of the body talk releases on it and every so often i just hit shuffle play and bop til I drop

SPEAKING OF WHICH , god Love Kills is good isn't it? it feels good when your fave's 'filler' is better than the singles of lessers

Is that one song called Look Into My Eyes? The intro should have her saying something like "it's gonna be okay!"
I love that song so much. Like a unicorn projectile shitting love and acceptance right on my face. Gives me Born This Way teas, but if Born This Way was elegant and sleek instead of rambunctious and harsh. lol

Vazduh

Is that one song called Look Into My Eyes? The intro should have her saying something like "it's gonna be okay!"
I love that song so much. Like a unicorn projectile shitting love and acceptance right at my face. Gives me Born This Way teas, but if Born This Way was elegant and sleek instead of rambunctious and harsh. lol

In My Eyes. I love that opener so much. Love Kills is amazing, too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I love that song so much. Like a unicorn projectile shitting love and acceptance right on my face. Gives me Born This Way teas, but if Born This Way was elegant and sleek instead of rambunctious and harsh. lol

In My Eyes

and yes, it shits. the percussion is truly everything, those big 80s drumrolls and fills.

Mau ®;129169268 said:
I like King of Leon's cover of "Dancing on my own". They truly elevated that song to new heights.

ibqPzfqRS1cCA2.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't know if any of you are here for Demon, but her album is available for free on Google Play.

MA4pKIi.gif

LMFAOOO @ Demon, I didn't realize Demi Lovato actually had haters! XD
I always viewed her as harmless and a bit of a non-entity, kind of like a slightly prettier, slightly more talented Hilary Duff with similar level of "fame" (the quotes around fame are intentional).

Yeah it's weird because she's running into these people on a constant, at award shows etc. It's different if you're a relative unknown and you're blogging about people you hate but to in her case it really does take a certain set of balls to pull that shit off.

I always knew Katy was a shady lady so I'm here for a diss track. lol

EDIT: TOURNEY UPDATE

Biggest gains in the past 12 hours:

MARIAH CAREY (+3)
CHRISTINA AGUILERA (+3)
KELLY CLARKSON (+3)
JANET JACKSON (+2)

Good momentum:

RIHANNA
BEYONCE
BRITNEY SPEARS
ROBYN

Slowing down:

ELLIE GOULDING
KATY PERRY
LANA DEL REY

Compatible pop stars (entrants most likely to be be nominated by the same user):

LADY GAGA + LANA DEL REY
MARIAH CAREY + CHRISTINA AGUILERA
BEYONCE + RIHANNA
JESSIE WARE + ANNIE
ROBYN + LYKKE LI

YAY @ Gaga, Mariah, Robyn and Lana! <3

but WHERE is Madonna? :mad:

Soulscribe would changing one of my votes to Kiesza even give her enough of a boost to make it to this list? I really wanted to include her and Mariah in my top 10 but I took length of career into consideration when making my picks *plus I figured Touchdown had Mariah covered ;)

YAY @ Gaga, Mariah, Robyn and Lana! <3

but WHERE is Madonna? :mad:

Soulscribe would changing one of my votes to Kiesza even give her enough of a boost to make it to this list? I really wanted to include her and Mariah in my top 10 but I took length of career into consideration when making my picks *plus I figured Touchdown had Mariah covered ;)

It's a tight race between Madge, Lana and Robyn right now, but all three are in a good place. There are two entrants right now who are killing it overall, with one more a little behind, but after those three it starts to shuffle a lot. Madonna's too far away from the cut off point for you to worry though :p

And Keisza has 0 votes right now so submitting her name would pretty much be the equivalent to voting for Ralph Nader in the general elections, if Ralph Nader wasn't running that year. lol

EDIT: TOURNEY UPDATE

Wow, the only way I'm relevant to this is helping Robyn keep momentum

My complete lack of impact and inability to fit in with voting trends #indie

I think I'll swap my 1 and 10 out for Annie and Ellie, that way those votes will be doing something, because although my present 1 and 10 are ~iconic~ they're not really fit for this rate.

Speaking of Annie Berge Lilia Strand, the new version of Anthonio is on iTunes
it's just a remastered version of the Berlin Breakdown version but if you're a ~fan~ then it's nice

she also has another version of Back Together out soon, which is apparently an old version from last year's vinyl but now it'll be on iTunes so that's lovely

maybe if you buy her stuff she'll do another EP in four years, so please consider it

Wow, the only way I'm relevant to this is helping Robyn keep momentum

My complete lack of impact and inability to fit in with voting trends #indie

I think I'll swap my 1 and 10 out for Annie and Ellie, that way those votes will be doing something, because although my present 1 and 10 are ~iconic~ they're not really fit for this rate.

Do you want me to switch them in? Your votes would clock Taylor and Kelly's placements if you do, lol. Just say the word sis

Done!

Taylord now in more danger than ever. Kelly just got bumped off the top 18. Poor Crumpet :( First Carly Raj Jackson now this

I want you to know
That it doesn't matter
Where we take this road
But someone's gotta go
And I want you to know
You couldn't have loved me better
But I want you to move on
So I'm already gone

ikdo3vdyZaTMl.gif

Does it hurt to know I'll never be there
Bet it sucks, to see my face everywhere
It was you, who chose to end it like you did
I was the last to know
You knew exactly what you would do
And don't say, you simply lost your way
She may believe you but I never will
Never again

All this Kellegend talk reminds me, I listened to Breakaway for the billionth time today and got my life.

What a fantastic album, from start to finish. I can't think of a single bad song on it.

Matt_

My list has been finalized.

41.gif

1. Mariah Carey
2. Mariah Carey
3. Mariah Carey
4. Mariah Carey
5. Mariah Carey
6. Mariah Carey
7. Mariah Carey
8. Mariah Carey
9. Mariah Carey
10. Mariah Carey