• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm totally here for that. P!nk always gets forgotten but her output is generally really good, and this collab seems like a bold choice. Go for that Robyn/Gaga collab tea.

Speaking of forgotten, pretty sure P!nk is the only "major" pop girl with 0 votes so far in the game. Poor him :(

I love the smell of a fresh new thread. Good job on the OT Mau. :)

I don't know if any of you will be excited about this piece of news, but I was really happy when I heard about this project.

you-and-me-roseave-album-cover-2014-billboard-650x430.jpg

Basically, this is a collab between P!nk and Dallas Green aka City and Colour. He opened for her tour once iirc, and I remember seeing the clip of them singing What Makes A Man and thinking how cool if it would be if they did at least one song together.

Well, turns out they made an entire album, which will be out in a month via RCA Records.

And the first single is here!

You+Me - You and Me (lyric video)
I like this a lot. P!nk's voice is quite lovely. I give it an A+! I'm looking forward to hearing the other songs on the album.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
i5V03ZHZ1Sphf.gif
i5V03ZHZ1Sphf.gif
i5V03ZHZ1Sphf.gif

Back from Bestival and everybody fucking slayed
Disclosure are the shit, Basement Jaxx are fucking insane live. Diplo zorbed out into the crowd during his Major Lazer set and was just generally amazing
La Roux, Sam Smith, London Grammar and Clean Bandit are all brilliant live. So so so impressed with La Roux giving that I know about two songs but she still managed to be one of my highlights.
Cvrches were alright, not a fan of this indie trend of people not be able to enunciate.
Andre 3000 is a complete cunt but the four songs people know of Outkast were the shit so I don't care too much. I saw Chic and Nile Rodgers too and they were just flawless, so many bops.

Lovely OT Mau but why the fuck is everyone banned
and that new Mary J Blige track is absolutely divine. Completely here for her working with Disclosure, Sam Smith and Naughty Boy. lbr but all the talent is in the UK right now

Partition

Banned
Taylor Swift writes a song about Katy Perry

Swift's focus on sisterhood cuts both ways, because when another woman crosses her, she's equally fierce about hitting back. The angriest song on 1989 is called "Bad Blood," and it's about another female artist Swift declines to name. "For years, I was never sure if we were friends or not," she says. "She would come up to me at awards shows and say something and walk away, and I would think, 'Are we friends, or did she just give me the harshest insult of my life?'" Then last year, the other star crossed a line. "She did something so horrible," Swift says. "I was like, 'Oh, we're just straight-up enemies.' And it wasn't even about a guy! It had to do with business. She basically tried to sabotage an entire arena tour. She tried to hire a bunch of people out from under me. And I'm surprisingly non-confrontational – you would not believe how much I hate conflict. So now I have to avoid her. It's awkward, and I don't like it."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/taylor-swift-1989-cover-story-20140908

Apparently it's about Katy as a bunch of Taylor's dancers left her to go work on Katy's tour.

Perched for this track a bit

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Harry Styles made it in too

Of all the songs on the album that seem to be about Styles, the most intriguing one is "Out of the Woods." Co-written by Antonoff, it's a frantic tale of a relationship where, Swift says, "every day was a struggle. Forget making plans for life – we were just trying to make it to next week." The most interesting part comes when Swift sings, "Remember when you hit the brakes too soon/Twenty stitches in a hospital room." She says it was inspired by a snowmobile ride with an ex who lost control and wrecked it so badly that she saw her life flash before her eyes. Both of them had to go to the ER, although Swift wasn't hurt. She corrects herself: "Not as hurt."

she also has a song called Style

iRQSVxZMEXxdi.gif

I really like both Kylie and Robyn, but I have no idea what you think makes them alike.

She's fake as hell, and that's what makes her so interesting.

That kind of gay electro zen production is similar IMO, then again most of my exposure to Kylie comes from Aphrodite, which dealt that production out in spades. Robyn's delivery has less of that whimsy but it feels more static. I think they both capture a similar sound space but I'm sure I'll differentiate them much more when I have their entire discography under my belt. :)

Vazduh

You guys ironically stan for Hilary right?

I think there were some non-ironical fans in here. Personally, I think she's talentless, but also completely harmless. And for some reason, I find All About You appealing. This live performance, tho? Terrible.

Partition

Banned
4+ songs about Harry Styles

Swift won't say much about her relationship with Styles, other than that they're now friends. But talking to her, it seems clear that many of the songs on 1989 that are about a guy are about him. There's "I Wish You Would," about an ex who bought a house two blocks from hers (whom she implies was Styles). And "All You Had to Do Was Stay," about a guy who was never willing to commit (ditto). Then there's the song that sets a new high-water mark for Swiftian faux secrecy – a sexy Miami Vice-sounding throwback about a guy with slicked-back hair and a white T-shirt and a girl in a tight little skirt that is called – no joke – "Style." (She allows herself a satisfied grin. "We should have just called it 'I'm Not Even Sorry.'")

Of all the songs on the album that seem to be about Styles, the most intriguing one is "Out of the Woods."

wait the mess

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That kind of gay electro zen production is similar IMO, then again most of my exposure to Kylie comes from Aphrodite, which dealt that production out in spades. Robyn's delivery has less of that whimsy but it feels more static. I think they both capture a similar sound space but I'm sure I'll differentiate them much more when I have their entire discography under my belt. :)
Hmm fair enough I guess I see this. They're both very melodic-electronic-euphoric in places. But I think that Robyn has more of an edge to her (at least compared with Kylie's current sound).

and as much as I like kylie, quality-wise I don't think it's close, Robyn is just in another league

Hmm fair enough I guess I see this. They're both very melodic-electronic-euphoric in places. But I think that Robyn has more of an edge to her.

and as much as I like kylie, quality-wise I don't think it's close, Robyn is just in another league

Yeah, Robyn has much more of an experimental edge and I think her songs are much more significant and hard-hitting than what I've heard from Kylie, which is overall just more irreverent. I guess coz Kylie's released more material the bar for quality is more all over the map. Robyn's seal of quality is through the roof.

Songs like Criminal Intent and Fembot are pure fiery Robyn though. Kylie could never.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think Robyn is more emotive than sexy. Even stuff like call your girlfriend isn't sexual. She's not stealing your boyfriend because she's sexier than you, she's stealing your boyfriend because they just have a connection you'll never have.

This throwback. It brings back so many memories. I got goosebumps, cried, and SCREAMED at the television with enjoyment. I knew she would be my Queen. Such a flawless performance that was. She showed them lessors how to sing and dance. Only our multi-talented and multi-genre grammy winning fav can do such a thing. Praise Kellegend.

#BuyStronger&WrappedInRedThisHolidaySeason
#Kellegend2015WorldDomination

Vitanimus

I think Robyn is more emotive than sexy. Even stuff like call your girlfriend isn't sexual. She's not stealing your boyfriend because she's sexier than you, she's stealing your boyfriend because they just have a connection you'll never have.

If you're looking for somewhere to go
Thought I'd take u to a movie show
Sittin' in the back and I'll jack u off
I can't give you everything u want
But I can take u to a restaurant
And if you're not hungry
I'll jack u off

If your man ain't no good
Come on over to my neighborhood
We can jump in the sack and I'll jack u off

If you're tired of the masturbator
Little girl, we can go on a date
And if you like, I'll jack u off

I'll jack u off, jack u off

foreplay chanteuse

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you're looking for somewhere to go
Thought I'd take u to a movie show
Sittin' in the back and I'll jack u off
I can't give you everything u want
But I can take u to a restaurant
And if you're not hungry
I'll jack u off

If your man ain't no good
Come on over to my neighborhood
We can jump in the sack and I'll jack u off

If you're tired of the masturbator
Little girl, we can go on a date
And if you like, I'll jack u off

foreplay chanteuse
Yeah,

Jack u off is one of my least favourite Robyn songs

That's a random Prince cover, anyway. I've only listened to it the whole way through like twice.

Whatever.

#JusticeForSkirt

Such a shame that such a brilliant song got shafted. Didn't even release on iTunes, just on Beatport or something.

I think Skirt flopping is why KMO went in the direction it did, even though Skirt flopping was due to the fact that it was an exclusive release on a digital store nobody's heard of with no promo rather than the song being bad.

The video is still one of my favourites of the past few years because it's so gorgeous in concept and execution yet really quite simple.

Can we talk about how Rocket is one of the sexiest songs of all time. Like..

I can't even think of any song out there that's sexier to me. Like Sunday morning sex before church

rude

Banned
Can we talk about how Rocket is one of the sexiest songs of all time. Like..

I can't even think of any song out there that's sexier to me. Like Sunday morning sex before church
I honestly think either that or Haunted are the best songs in her discography. The moment her voice cracks/gets raspy at "You ain't right for doing it to me like that, daddy.." and then the last few lines

We're so much more than pointless fixtures
Instagram pictures
Consumers
What about that ching-ching-ching (what about that, what about that ching, ching)
Baby boomers (baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby)
Cyclical trends, tryna fit in
Home is where the heart is
Goddammit I'm comfortable in my skin
And you're
Comfortable in my skin
You look so comfortable in my skin, skin, skin

Beautiful lyrics.
yes_and_tears.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom