• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibzNqNyiTwn372.png

iblp7frLFaQAQm.png

Check in this week to see if your faves make it on the final board. If you haven't voted yet, make sure to do so! YAY FUN

Can't remember if it was posted in the last OT, but Nick Jonas' new song is quite good.

That was quite enjoyable. Who knew that Nick Jonas would be this good? I'm impressed.

lordt, and Come On, so fuckin good

get into it trollops
I quite liked that. I never payed Will Young any mind, but maybe I should start doing so. If his albums are on Spotify I'll give it a listen sometime soon. He's got a soothing voice which is quite nice. I dig "Come On", so I'm getting into it.

tumblr_nblxll5p3I1spkamxo1_500.jpg

I'm ok with this pandering.
I'm okay with it too. He can pander all he wants.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I quite liked that. I never payed Will Young any mind, but maybe I should start doing so. If his albums are on Spotify I'll give it a listen sometime soon. He's got a soothing voice which is quite nice. I dig "Come On", so I'm getting into it.

I don't actually know his older stuff, but Echoes is amazing.

can you update on us the rankings? Has Megan Trainor gotten anymore votes?

It's super super close between the top 6 right now, with 8 more right behind them. I'll keep the rest a mystery for now though.

Megan has two votes, which basically means she (as of now) has no fuck all shot at making it on. Still two more than I thought she'd get though, lol

tmarques

She's not queer so why would she care?

She's a woman, though, and they arrest and whip women for being raped.

I kind of wish some celebrity would make a big stink about it and refuse to step foot there. Not that I blame those who prefer to turn a blind eye as I'm not a hypocrite, but it would be nice.

She's a woman, though, and they arrest and whip women for being raped.

I kind of wish some celebrity would make a big stink about it and refuse to step foot there. Not that I blame those who prefer to turn a blind eye as I'm not a hypocrite, but it would be nice.

I think it's bold to step into a setting that's not tailor made for your presentation (or in this case gender) and performing for your fans. It'd suck to be a Lady Gaga fan in Dubai if you never get the chance to see her live. I appreciate any pop act who goes to tense political hotbeds, shows their commitment to their audience above anything else really.

Styles

Then there's the song that sets a new high-water mark for Swiftian faux secrecy – a sexy Miami Vice-sounding throwback about a guy with slicked-back hair and a white T-shirt and a girl in a tight little skirt that is called – no joke – "Style." (She allows herself a satisfied grin. "We should have just called it 'I'm Not Even Sorry.'")

Confirmed song titles

Bad Blood; about Katy Perry and their bad friendship
Out of the Woods; about Harry Styles trying to make the relationship work and CRASHING SNOWMOBILES
I Wish You Would; about an ex who bought a house two blocks from her (implied to be about Harry)
All You Had to Do Was Stay; about a guy who was never willing to commit (implied to be about Harry)
Style; A sexy Miami Vice-sounding throwback about a guy with slicked-back hair and a white T-shirt and a girl in a tight little skirt.

ibzGRm7PkVp7qS.gif

Meghan Trainor getting 2 votes 🚮

Expose who else voted beside Maria

🚮

And 69 different women were suggested so far (lol). I can't even recall 69 female musicians without reading this tally.

Some of these choices though, sistren... >_<

cory64

I have to wonder if Bad Blood will cause an all-out Twitter war (with Gaga involved because what else is she doing). Not a good look for anyone tbh

Styles

Wait @ these inspirations for 19SL89:

As the title suggests, 1989 was influenced by some of Swift's favorite Eighties pop acts, including Phil Collins, Annie Lennox and "Like a Prayer"-era Madonna.

ibdlDedyISdXfQ.gif

Vazduh

Taydonna is coming. Not excited about third of the album being about Harry Styles (ugh and ew!), but I'm always here for Max Martin-produced bops.

I know this girl she's not too bright
But she's educated in bed all right
She's made seduction a work of art
A PhD with her legs apart

She's got dreamy eyes, Lolita lips
She's got undulating, grundulating, grinding hips
She clicks her fingers, guys come to heel
Chewed up, spat out, no big deal

Take me there, Gods Aloud.

rude

Banned
1+1 is the best song on 4 despite whatever anyone else thinks. I just deleted everything else from the album.

Vazduh

Ronald "Jukebox" Jackson, the producer of Willow's Whip My Hair, posted this on Instagram.

10693547_321996487971182_1325008699_n.jpg

Great Vibes! New Hits with These 2 awesome Women in The Studio! @shannon_bex @aubreyoday #TheLobbyStudio

I don't know how I feel about this.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I checked out Nick Jonas' first single from his album, Chains and it's quite good as well

Not be excited for a Jonas Brother album of all people

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
#TeamKaty
End ha and her vanilla ways

edit; what is going on with us itunes charts?
All about the bass has disappeared and Fall out boy is #2?

Typical of La Perra to use a Mean Girls reference in order to pander to gay men who believe that they are adolescent girls, but oh well. She's just a squashed troll with an unattractive boyfriend so what does she know?

Tove Lo's Timebomb is an absolute godsend though, a relentless bop that doesn't let up. This year has been so fucking muted outside of Charli XCX, I love something with a bit of a thud and boom to it.

Also, to any UK lurkers reading, I just saw Blackout for £1 in Poundland. There were a ton of pop CDs there, so be sure to check out your local to pick up a bargain. Just don't let the poors touch you.

I grabbed the Velvet Rope, Janet Jackson's sex bible. Should be fun.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't have a horse in this race

but i hope perry [ e v i s c e r a t e s ] ha like she did gaga

Trigger

I don't know if any of you are here for Demon, but her album is available for free on Google Play.

Well if she's giving it away for free than I might as well listen.

Ariana Grande singing 3 songs on X Factor Australia last night. LOL at the obvious fake cheering from the crowd.

Interview on Sunrise Australia this morning. Am I crazy, or is she not even looking at the people interviewing her?!

Oh Ariana...at least I can still use some of her music.

isngAyjsXczPR.gif

rude

Banned
Not a Taylor fan but I appreciate her business savvy. If you think she gives a single fuck about any of the people she's written about you're wrong; she's a businesswoman through and through.

Grizzo

All About You is a cute (and addicting) little song and that performance was fine. Keep in mind that it was Hilary's first performance in years (maybe 6 or 7? I don't remember). I liked that she even bothered to dance.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think there's anything wrong with Taylor writing so many songs about ex boyfriends but I do find it a bit weird.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Taylor writing so many songs about ex boyfriends but I do find it a bit weird.

Yeah it's weird because she's running into these people on a constant, at award shows etc. It's different if you're a relative unknown and you're blogging about people you hate but to in her case it really does take a certain set of balls to pull that shit off.

I always knew Katy was a shady lady so I'm here for a diss track. lol

EDIT: TOURNEY UPDATE

Biggest gains in the past 12 hours:

MARIAH CAREY (+3)
CHRISTINA AGUILERA (+3)
KELLY CLARKSON (+3)
JANET JACKSON (+2)

Good momentum:

RIHANNA
BEYONCE
BRITNEY SPEARS
ROBYN

Slowing down:

ELLIE GOULDING
KATY PERRY
LANA DEL REY

Compatible pop stars (entrants most likely to be be nominated by the same user):

LADY GAGA + LANA DEL REY
MARIAH CAREY + CHRISTINA AGUILERA
BEYONCE + RIHANNA
JESSIE WARE + ANNIE
ROBYN + LYKKE LI

What I don't get is how the dancers were able to just up and ditch Taylor's tour, leaving her hanging like that. Shouldn't they have been contracted for the duration of the tour?

Vazduh

What I don't get is how the dancers were able to just up and ditch Taylor's tour, leaving her hanging like that. Shouldn't they have been contracted for the duration of the tour?

This article explains the situation a little bit.

"I was with Taylor for the first six months,'' Brownlie said.
"It was a great experience and she's a great person to work with, but then Katy contacted us.'' Perry contacted her three former dancers to say she was releasing another album (Prism) and wanted them to join her on a second world tour.

"Obviously we were with Katy for 2 1/2 years, she's like family to us, so we were, like, `absolutely','' Brownlie said.

"We weren't really dancing in Taylor's tour anyway so I had got a little bored and I really wanted to do a promo tour.''

All About You is a cute (and addicting) little song and that performance was fine. Keep in mind that it was Hilary's first performance in years (maybe 6 or 7? I don't remember). I liked that she even bothered to dance.

She had to be really nervous, too, I get that, it's just that performance-wise it was pretty bad. The vocals were sub-par and the dancing was stiff. Also, the choreo itself could have been better. But like I said earlier, the song is good, so she can still make it, especially with the right promo (the upcoming video could help too). I think I saw somewhere that the song is doing well on Australian iTunes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a minor hit in the UK and the States as well. It certainly is radio-friendly.

I mean, people were making fun of Becky G, and in the end Shower actually did pretty well - it has sold over 750,000 copies in the US alone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom