• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Doubt's Push and Shove finally clicked with me. WHAT A TUNE, TBH.
smileys-sighing-and-waiting-509975.gif

royalan

POP STAR RETIREMENT HOME NEWS ALERT

Randy Jackson axed from Idol Judging Panel

As a counter of bad news, there will be four (4) judges on the panel again next year, which means less songs from contestants and more pointless platitudes.

Also, the article said Nicki Minaj is almost a certainty at this point.

Whoa... So Randy was fired??? From the panel? Now THAT'S curious...

I wonder if Mimi just couldn't stand the thought of having to sit next to him.

Also, 4 person panels suck on that show.

botty

Banned
Whoa... So Randy was fired??? From the panel? Now THAT'S curious...

I wonder if Mimi just couldn't stand the thought of having to sit next to him.

Also, 4 person panels suck on that show.

Ehh, the wording is hyperbolic... It has been known for quite some time that Randy has wanted to step down as a judge. I am sure being a mentor instead is something he decided on his own.

Although, Mimi probably only wants people on the panel that are as young, cute, and hip as her.

Bladenic

I CAN'T believe I'm gonna defend Paulina here because I really do not like her (although Baila Casanova is my guilty pleasure) but Natalia Oreiro WISHES she had Paulina's success.

I meant quality. What is Natalia even doing nowadays?

Back in 1998-2000, she was probaby the most popular Latin telenovela star, and the music certainly helped. She seemed to practically retire after the third album though. She can't be that old either.

Peru

Speaking of INNA (well someone was, yesterday or something): This Romanian language thing is pretty good http://youtu.be/rVQiV_vSGzE

Also Caliente which she wrote herself (!) is so catchy http://youtu.be/_qAe0wSBXrM

Actually her 2011 album (I Am The Club Rocker), which I just checked out, is great. When she or other Romanian stars try to do a typical US pop banger it's just dull dull dull, but when they get into that slightly generic Romanian dance groove the result is magical, at least for Inna.

Bladenic

Speaking of INNA (well someone was, yesterday or something): This Romanian language thing is pretty good http://youtu.be/rVQiV_vSGzE

Also Caliente which she wrote herself (!) is so catchy http://youtu.be/_qAe0wSBXrM

Actually her 2011 album (I Am The Club Rocker), which I just checked out, is great. When she or other Romanian stars try to do a typical US pop banger it's just dull dull dull, but when they get into that slightly generic Romanian dance groove the result is magical, at least for Inna.

YASSSSS Tu si Eu is my favorite Inna song. And I just listened to the entirety of I am The Club Rocker on Spotify today, it really is great. Moon Girl in particular has a pretty hypnotic beat, great song.

STAN the ROMANIAN QUEEN!

ct5TO.gif

Bladenic

The next album should be her best.. although I always discover her stuff the summer after it's released it seems.

tumblr_m9jrtkwMm51rowrgao1_500.jpg

Lawd she always looks stunning.

And yes, I'm excited for her next album. Tu si Eu and 10 Minutes are among my favorites, and they will be on the new album. And then, the promo songs OK and Alright were also banging. Can't wait. She's coming to slay... Romania, and Europe at least.

It's also worth noting she's the richest Eastern European artist. What kind of breakthrough? Her, Alexandra Stan, and Edward Maya are just about the only ones who managed to break out of the Romanian confines. Bless them.

Peru

Yeah, sometimes I click recommended youtubes and end up listening to lots of Romanian 'stars' I've never heard of and actually so much of it is catchy, even if it all sorta sounds the same and they lack the AURA of INNA (who, according to Wikipedia, is also some kind of feminist activist in Romania).

B-Dex

I discovered ITZ's alt account. Someone in the Rate the Summer Blockbuster thread gave Katy Perry Part of Me 3D 11/10.

Popjustice previews IT-GIRL 2012's opus

carly-rae-jepsen-kiss-artwork-535x535.jpeg

FACT 1: ‘Call Me Maybe’ is a stone cold certified 100% 24-carat no-messing-around banger and if you don’t get that you might as well be EARLESS (or struggling with your second album).

tumblr_libtfnACGR1qdw9cm.gif

Of the songs we’ve heard, ‘This Kiss’ is the best of the lot, opening with the deliciously carefree line “I went out last night, I’m going out tonight again” and going on to detail Jeppo’s quest to get off with someone even though both he and she are attached: “She’s a real sweet girl, and you know I’ve got a guy – details we both forgot to mention.” There’s a brilliant “I couldn’t I couldn’t lie” / “I shouldn’t I shouldn’t lie” bit in the middle eight and a chorus that goes “this kiss is something I can’t resist, your lips are unreliable”. The way CRJ sings the word ‘unreliable’ will do something special and naughty to your pop brain.

‘This Kiss’ reminds us that when we first wrote about ‘Call Me Maybe’ at the end of last year we noted that it was the sort of pop song they don’t really make in the UK these days. It’s not very cool, and it’s not trying to be. Though you could argue that dubstep gloomwobble breakdowns ceased to be cool about 18 months ago, in an era when even Taylor Swift is threatening one such moment on her new album, it’s refreshing to come across take-it-or-leave-it pop tunes like these Jeppo ones. Another song ‘Turn Me Up’ is an equally straightforward Jepsen anthem, which feels like a Dr Luke-style take on Kylie in ‘Love At First Sight’ mode and concerns Carly splitting up with someone on the phone then going out ‘on the razz’. The Max Martin co-written ‘Tonight I’m Getting Over You’ picks up where ‘Turn Me Up’ left off. It starts like a singer-songwritery post-Dawson’s Creek emo ‘effort’ from nine years ago but by the 45-second mark is starting to reveal its true colours, then at the 1:01 a huge LMFAOpop-style electrobanger rave alarm noise kicks the door down.

On similarly familiar territory, ‘Guitar String Wedding Ring’ is basically ‘Call Me Maybe’ meets ‘California Girls’, opening with the excellent line “you were here, and then you left, and now there’s nobody, nobody” before Carly bangs on about being ”a bird in the water, a fish on the ground”. The breathtaking-but-not-necessarily-for-the-right-reasons chorus lyric is: “If you cut a piece of guitar string I would wear it like it’s a wedding ring. Wrapped around my finger – you know what I mean.” Sort of Carly. Sort of.

‘Guitar String Wedding Ring’ – as you could probably have guessed from the title – is pretty perfunctory, and the Justin Bieber duet ‘Beautiful’ is notable mainly for the presence of the pop scene’s most notorious fondue apologist. It’s a jaunty, mid-tempo campfire sort of affair with Carly and Justin taking the role of ex lovers, Carly going through all the “trying to forget you” business in the first verse, Justin taking the second verse (“it’s like you’re the other half of me, I feel incomplete”) and a rather familiar chorus lyric of ”what makes you so beautiful is you don’t know how beautiful you are to me”. This is not exactly the modern-day ‘Islands In The Stream’ we were hoping for.

Obviously on top of these tunes we’ve got the rather enjoyable ‘Curiosity’ from that Canadian EP release as well as ‘Call Me Maybe’ and ‘Good Time’, which brings us to eight songs in total. We’re still to hear ‘Tiny Little Bows’, ‘More Than A Memory’, ‘Hurt So Good’ and ‘Your Heart Is A Muscle’ (which we’re desperately hoping contains the chorus lyric “and so is your penis, although more strictly speaking it’s organ tissue but the joke still stands”). On top of those songs from the official tracklisting there are another four songs to come from the deluxe edition, so it’s hard to know where the album will go, based on what we’ve heard. If we’ve now heard the eight best songs from ‘Kiss’ then the album may turn out to be something of a disappointment, but if the tunes we were sent had been selected at random or in an attempt to showcase the album’s diversity things could be just fine.

Read more...

EgJTv.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom