• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
this thread has been flopping all week

DIE
iwYn97bXOIjKF.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Let's have a stan war then. Britney sux. Googoosha rulez.

smileys-sighing-and-waiting-509975.gif

My September album collage is done. Should I post that? Neaux1currrrr?

Mau ®

Flawless Beauty *.*

BTW in the new issue of Rolling Stone there's an article about RED. ADELE's producer is also behind it. Savior is coming for them hits *.*

GgeZ5i.gif

Mau ®

Korean group 2NE1 drags Garbaj through the mud in touring grosses lol

2NE1
NOKIA Theatre L.A. Live
Los Angeles, Calif.
Aug. 24, 2012
$653,716
6,680 /
1 /
$200, $150, $80, $30
Live Nation

Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz
NOKIA Theatre L.A. Live
Los Angeles, Calif.
Aug. 8, 2012
$453,170
6,300 /
1 /
$99.75, $79.75, $49.75
Live Nation

Yuri-laughing-GIF.gif

royalan

Koren group 2NE1 drags Garbaj through the mud in touring grosses hahahaha

2NE1
NOKIA Theatre L.A. Live
Los Angeles, Calif.
Aug. 24, 2012
$653,716
6,680 /
1 /
$200, $150, $80, $30
Live Nation

Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz
NOKIA Theatre L.A. Live
Los Angeles, Calif.
Aug. 8, 2012
$453,170
6,300 /
1 /
$99.75, $79.75, $49.75
Live Nation

Yuri-laughing-GIF.gif

Well, if I'm reading this correctly, it seems like the two acts had similar attendance numbers. 2NE1 just charged more, right?

Which is understandable, seeing as Minaj is on a lucrative tour of the entire country, and HEWNE1 are just making a quick stop here to perform for what little fans they have in this country.

Icicle

Girls, we have ALL failed our faves. We've allowed the US music industry to continue shrinking over the better part of the past decade; now Japan's music industry is larger than our own.

The 11.2 billion dollar industry in 2005 collapsed to just 3.6 billion in 2010. This is bad news, ya'll. The smaller the game gets, the more Perra and similarly safe artists we'll be getting, and I foresee many of our faves getting knocked out of the game altogether. =(

royalan

Girls, we have ALL failed our faves. We've allowed the US music industry to continue shrinking over the better part of the past decade; now Japan's music industry is larger than our own.

The 11.2 billion dollar industry in 2005 collapsed to just 3.6 billion in 2010. This is bad news, ya'll. The smaller the game gets, the more Perra and similarly safe artists we'll be getting, and I foresee many of our faves getting knocked out of the game altogether. =(

Wait what?

I need receipts for this because last time I checked the US Market dwarfed Japan.

Crazy if true.

royalan

The saddest receipts you will ever see...

Page 30 shows the global marketshare each year. RIP our faves

Wow, that is a very interesting report. Nice find, Icicle.
I'd say thread-worthy

From what I gathered, it doesn't seem like Japan's market is growing. They're shrinking as well. They're just not shrinking as fast.

I wonder if these numbers include digital sales and streaming. Because the decline seems to coincide seem to coincide with the rise in popularity of those types of online music services. It would also partially explain why the US is plummeting so rapidly in comparison to Japan.

Koodo

Banned
GaGa's emphasis on the Japanese (and broader Asian) market is no mere coincidence. May this be a warning to the local faves to broaden their horizons and stop treating foreign markets for filth. Instead of giving the East Coast its hundredth show, perhaps consider re-routing the investment to other shores.

imgiDALcLDl78.gif

And I mean actually giving a shit rather than just passing interest. Pink is another great example of investing time and energy to build a fanbase in foreign markets (and subsequently achieving higher career security). Legends like Madonna and Michael Jackson are perhaps the best example of this global mentality on a multi-decade scale.

I will say, though, that despite Icicle's argument being sound, the problem is more local rather than global. While the American recording industry is suffering, other foreign industries are flourishing (and those declining in absolute measurements are rising in a relative - i.e. market share - sense, like Japan). There's not so much of a loss on a global scale but rather a shift.

tl;dr - some of you will just have to deal with having foreign faves in the future.

Icicle

GaGa's emphasis on the Japanese (and broader Asian) market is no mere coincidence. May this be a warning to the local faves to broaden their horizons and stop treating foreign markets for filth. Instead of giving the East Coast its hundredth show, perhaps consider re-routing the investment to other shores.

imgiDALcLDl78.gif

And I mean actually giving a shit rather than just passing interest. Pink is another great example of investing time and energy to build a fanbase in foreign markets (and subsequently achieving higher career security). Legends like Madonna and Michael Jackson are perhaps the best example of this global mentality on a multi-decade scale.

I will say, though, that despite Icicle's argument being sound, the problem is more local rather than global. While the American recording industry is suffering, other foreign industries are flourishing (and those declining in absolute measurements are rising in a relative - i.e. market share - sense, like Japan). There's not so much of a loss on a global scale but rather a shift.

tl;dr - some of you will just have to deal with having foreign faves in the future.

Girl, the global music industry has been halved in 5 years! That said, the US has seen the sharpest decline, but dis ish affects everybody everywhere!

Commence freakout!
ib1enSQkC9rVTx.gif

royalan

imgiDALcLDl78.gif

I agree with your overall point (sorry locals), but I would like to point out that there is a loss here. According to the numbers in that report the global market is shrinking. There was, between 2005 and 2010, a global market loss of 9.1 billion - a large chunk of which comes from the US. To me, that's the fascinating thing. Some people would be quick to blame this on piracy, but piracy in the US is on the decline.

It's not so much a shift when the other markets are shrinking as well, even if it is at a slower pace. A shift would imply that global revenue is largely staying the same or increasing.

Koodo

Banned
Girl, the global music industry has been halved in 5 years! That said, the US has seen the sharpest decline, but dis ish affects everybody everywhere!

Commence freakout!
ib1enSQkC9rVTx.gif
I agree with your overall point (sorry locals), but I would like to point out that there is a loss here. According to the numbers in that report the global market is shrinking. There was, between 2005 and 2010, a global market loss of 9.1 billion - a large chunk of which comes from the US. To me, that's the fascinating thing. Some people would be quick to blame this on piracy, but piracy in the US is on the decline.

It's not so much a shift when the other markets are shrinking as well, even if it is at a slower pace. A shift would imply that global revenue is largely staying the same or increasing.
oop. Let me amend that to something I was thinking while writing that paragraph: there is a loss on a global scale, but there is also a shift in influence. It seems inevitable that America will cease to become the centre of music; rather than local acts being content with success exclusively in America and foreign acts striving to break into the American market, the emphasis will become more global. This might have an adverse effect on American acts as they will lose the inherent advantage of coming from the most influential market, while foreign acts might find themselves flourishing as the playing field (in a relative sense) has become more even.

I want to provide an alternative to Icicle's argument: while the sharp YoY decrease in the American industry might cause labels to become even more risk averse and creatively stagnant, the decrease could also lead to greater diversity as labels mint new artists with a more global approach (and possibly a more eclectic sound). Then again, Hollywood has been expanding their global efforts and their output still remains incredibly risk-averse (i.e. the overwhelming majority of leads are still WHITE, MALE and STRAIGHT).

It's important to note that any detrimental impact is affecting what we consider today to be the "mainstream" industry; the art of music overall keeps improving as it's now easier than ever to create and distribute new music (Grimes did her album by herself in her tiny apartment using Garageband, something she would've been incapable of doing a few decades ago). I'd like to think the decline of the music industry will lead to a future devoid of major - and oppressive - labels, and thus the end of the "mainstream" being made up of a wave of me-too artists and music and the start of a creative free for all... but these are just my ramblings at 3 A.M.

kiii (´ー`)┌

Aguila

#ICONIC

September Album Releases
The following is a collage of albums that are planned to be released on September 2012. The albums listed are included based on potential interest to PopGAF members. Click on the album for more details. The links will most likely direct you to videos of the album's singles on their official site or YouTube. While there, if you wish to seek more information, just browse their site. Release date is indicated on the little brown tag. Feel free to point out if anything is wrong or missing.

Note: The graphics have the earliest release date for the albums. Depending on where you live, certain dates may not correspond to you.

[URL="http://www.lupefiasco.com/news/new-music-lamborghini-angels-available-now-181416"]
[/URL]

Bladenic

The Killers are coming to slay. Your faves can try tho

Yeah, sometimes I click recommended youtubes and end up listening to lots of Romanian 'stars' I've never heard of and actually so much of it is catchy, even if it all sorta sounds the same and they lack the AURA of INNA (who, according to Wikipedia, is also some kind of feminist activist in Romania).

Yes, while it is all kinda samey, it is all ridiculously catchy, with catchy beats and generally simple lyrics that stick with you and are easily singable. And yes, Inna is the best among them. Others can try tho

1940736_o.gif

ecurbj

I want from that list:

The Script
Carly Rae Jepsen (Call Me Maybe is stuck in my head)
The Killers
Kreayshawn
Nelly Furtado (not sure)
P!nk
Wiz Khalifa
Lupe Fiasco
Mumford & Sons

September is looking okay for me.

Trigger

Them too. I haven't finished listening to all of Day & Age though.

EDIT - I need the next Mumford & Sons. They scratch my folk music itch pretty well.

Bladenic

September is packed for sure. Besides The Killers, I want to check out Carly (just for curiosity's sake), Pink, No Doubt, Mumford and Sons (liked the first album), Lupe, Wiz, The xx (still have to listen to the debut tho), and maybe even Green Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom