• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Its amazing how many girls will be active in 2013

The Trinity coming back: Gaga/Bey/Brit
The second-rate Trinity releasing their singles/albums: Rih/Katy/Taylor
and of course the third-rate Trinity doing their thing: Ke$ha/Nicki/Shakira

Who will survive?
ibyogOOvjoYQHM.gif

3phemeral

No sweetie, I was pointing out bad vocals and the absolute lack of hits, star quality, or a career.

Lies detected. Why would the latter half of your sentence point out what I already acknowledged? Messy.

We both know you were trying to undermine Ha Holiness but drawing attention to a bad
(not nearly as bad as those xtina clips I posted)
performance. We both know she's capable of better.

iXiYn2CLipxTT.gif

And funny how in several of those videos you linked to Christina sounds almost EXACTLY like Nicole. It's uncanny, really. You really ARE struggling with your Xtina stanning.
More lies. She sounded nowhere near as topped out as Xtuna.

i6CwR7aBvckCZ.gif

botty

Banned

Who will survive?
ibyogOOvjoYQHM.gif

Taylor and Shakira are not apart of any trinity...

iSP8WlSjKaNmC.gif

I'm sad that Waffles got banned. :(

Who will survive?
Ke$ha and GaGa will survive of course. :)

Mumei

No sweetie, I was pointing out bad vocals and the absolute lack of hits, star quality, or a career.

And funny how in several of those videos you linked to Christina sounds almost EXACTLY like Nicole. It's uncanny, really. You really ARE struggling with your Xtina stanning.

To be honest, Nicole does have a healthier belt - mixes well up to A5, even. She's on Kelly upper belting tier with an unpleasant tone, but it's not really her fault that a good belt coming out of her mouth sounds like a constipated banshee.

royalan

Lies detected. Why would the latter half of your sentence point out what I already acknowledged? Messy.

We both know you were trying to undermine Ha Holiness but drawing attention to a bad
(not nearly as bad as those xtina clips I posted)
performance. We both know she's capable of better.

iXiYn2CLipxTT.gif

More lies. She sounded nowhere near as topped out as Xtuna.

i6CwR7aBvckCZ.gif

"Ha Holiness"

...I think this is my first ever encountering a Nicole stan. Absolutely fascinating.

royalan

To be honest, Nicole does have a healthier belt - mixes well up to A5, even. She's on Kelly upper belting tier with an unpleasant tone, but it's not really her fault that a good belt coming out of her mouth sounds like a constipated banshee.

I don't check for Nicole that much (HEW does?), but from what I've heard, I think she has a very similar technique to Christina. Very flat belting with little-to-no vibrato, a noticeable rasp and throaty placement. Nicole also pushes up to her upper register in a very similar way to Christina. Both also have very crisp headvoices. Nicole has definitely gotten more wear out of her voice, though. I'll give her that.
probably because her singing hasn't been as "in demand" as Xtina's over the years...

The issues that I've heard with Nicole are, as you pointed out, her tone. Her phrasing is also offensive to me, and she's got a really bad ear. She goes flat a lot.

EDIT: Nicole DOES have a good mix. Something I wish Xtina relied on more often. And by "more often" I mean "more than never."

botty

Banned
Shakira might not be ( I STRUGGLED to find someone to complete the last trinity) but Taylor is unless you have been living under a pile of unsold Lotus copies for the past months

ibystLKjFf4Jy.gif

I don't even know how you put your trinitys together then...

Taylor slays harder than the people in your top trinity, yet you put her with Rihanus...

If anything, swap Britney and Taylor so it at least makes sense on a talent level.

ibystLKjFf4Jy.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Taylor slays harder than the people in your top trinity, yet you put her with Rihanus...

If anything, swap Britney and Taylor so it at least makes sense on a talent level.

ibystLKjFf4Jy.gif

Taylor isnt iconic like Britney yet. I think I understand that.

Vazra

So that means Gaga and Beyonce are just as iconic as Britney?

Gaga with the acclaim she has on only 2 albums, sure. Beyonce has enough years and albums and fan base to actually back it up too. So it fits IMO. Christina if she didnt did Bionic might probably still be on the trinity.

Mumei

I don't check for Nicole that much (HEW does?), but from what I've heard, I think she has a very similar technique to Christina. Very flat belting with little-to-no vibrato, a noticeable rasp and throaty placement. Nicole also pushes up to her upper register in a very similar way to Christina. Both also have very crisp headvoices. Nicole has definitely gotten more wear out of her voice, though. I'll give her that.
probably because her singing hasn't been as "in demand" as Xtina's over the years...

The issues that I've heard with Nicole are, as you pointed out, her tone. Her phrasing is also offensive to me, and she's got a really bad ear. She goes flat a lot.

Well. I don't really listen to Nicole, but what I have heard from clips I'm not sure I agree. I hear a really head driven mix on her upper belts (F5 and up) that don't sound all that impressive but still sound basically correct. Christina doesn't do that; she goes for that chestier mix and tries to bring the middle up to the top. I agree that Nicole has problems with supporting notes / intonation, though.

And Nicole's head voice is better, and she actually makes regular use of it.

Edit: See this is what happens when I take too long; you go and acknowledge something I said later.

Trigger

I leave the thread for a minute and it's grown three pages and two people I like get banned. #mess

So that means Gaga and Beyonce are just as iconic as Britney?

I'm not quite sure I'd put Gaga on the same level, but I'd agree with Bey being as iconic as Brit.

Vazra

Well. I don't really listen to Nicole, but what I have heard from clips I'm not sure I agree. I hear a really head driven mix on her upper belts (F5 and up) that don't sound all that impressive but still sound basically correct. Christina doesn't do that; she goes for that chestier mix and tries to bring the middle up to the top. I agree that Nicole has problems with supporting notes / intonation, though.

Edit: See this is what happens when I take too long; you go and acknowledge something I said later.

Nicole Will Always Love You
Go at it!

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual

LOL. What?

Stylistically, Taylor doesn't fit in any of those three groups. I know Red is much more pop-influenced than previous work, but I still would not lump her in with any of those others. And selling 1.2 million copies in its first week isn't even remotely "second-rate," not with the current state of CD sales.

Rihanna and Katy? They're a good match, if you need to group artists like that. I feel like Beyonce would be a better fit on that level than Taylor though. And that's me trying hard to make your groups work...which they don't at all IMO. The third is just a mess. Shakira? Really?

Taylor isnt iconic like Britney yet. I think I understand that.
If you're going by "iconic" status, then Beyonce doesn't fit in that top group either. Madonna, Britney, Janet, Gaga, Christina. Those are clearly the five most "iconic" female pop stars alive, from those that I can think of --- regardless of whether you like them or think they are still relevant.

Part of me wants to add Mariah to that list as well, although she didn't instantly come to mind like the other five.

royalan

See, I agree only when we're talking about the mixing. It's a clear advantage that Nicole has mostly because Xtina doesn't mix (and she really should). But when Nicole is sticking to chest belting I get a lot of the same cues that I get from Xtina: tightness, pushing, rasp, and dare I say strain? Listen to those performances I linked to - particularly her X-Factor performance. What do you think?

It's only when Nicole shifts into her mixed voice (and it's a very noticeable shift) that she pulls ahead.

And I'm not sure about head voice. I think Xtina's pulled off more difficult vocal lines with hers than Nicole. I've only seen Nicole really use her head voice to pull off some wails. I could be wrong about that though, as I don't really check for Nicole...like most people.

Artemisia

Banned

ibystLKjFf4Jy.gif

I agree. The argument for Taylor taking Britney's place in that trinity has only been strengthened by her success in the pop format.

botty

Banned
Voice Trinity:
ec20fb7f.gif
Mariah, Whitney, Christina
ec20fb7f.gif

Trash Trinity:
b3d79dc8.gif
Britney, Rihanna, Kesha
b3d79dc8.gif

Gaga Trinity:
jamming.gif
Lady Gaga, Katy, Nicki
jamming.gif

Sales Trinity:
c3ed7b23.gif
Adele, Taylor, Adele's baby
c3ed7b23.gif

Then you have King Beyonce, who is the jack of all trades.
f58a8b71.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Hmm... the highest selling digital artist EVER isn't in the sales trinity. That's funny.

ibf0yKseOR7ZtC.gif

you could argue she deserves to replace bey

I won't do that. It's what Marius wants the #NAVY to do. Rih is first-rate tho. No one said all the first rate cunts could only come in a group of three.

Artemisia

Banned
botty, I was listening to bday in the car today and was reslayed

iGn6IzhZB41rh.gif

I take back all the bad things I said about it

iGn6IzhZB41rh.gif

green light, deja vu, upgrade u, get me bodied, freakum dress, irreplaceable, beautiful liar, check on it, ring the alarm

iGn6IzhZB41rh.gif

her next album needs to be a mix of 4 and bday. it also needs to have a jay z collab because they always shit on careers

iGn6IzhZB41rh.gif

Trigger

green light, deja vu, upgrade u, get me bodied, freakum dress, irreplaceable, beautiful liar, check on it, ring the alarm

her next album needs to be a mix of 4 and bday. it also needs to have a jay z collab because they always shit on careers

VaNIA.gif

botty

Banned

iGn6IzhZB41rh.gif

I was trying to let y'all know about the flawlessness of B'day.

It has no filler, and it snatches wigs left and right.

Beyonce has been pulling out her ratchet card lately, so I know she is coming to slay this time.

iGn6IzhZB41rh.gif

Hmm... the highest selling digital artist EVER isn't in the sales trinity. That's funny.

And how could she not be? She does put out 30 songs every 6 months.

5b373a2e.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom