• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized how massively our standards for good music has gone down since 2006-2008. There are of course a lot of good songs out there now but Scream and Shout would have never been released as a single five years ago.

Just realized how massively our standards for good music has gone down since 2006-2008. There are of course a lot of good songs out there now but Scream and Shout would have never been released as a single five years ago.

Eh I don't think thats the case. It probably wouldn't have been released 5 years ago, but I don't think it has anything to do with our standards for music going down. Has more to do with the rise of Dance tracks in popularity on mainstream radio in the last few years.

There have always been terrible songs on the radio. We just tend to forget about them later.

cory64

It's not Ne-Yo's best, but the song is pretty catchy and inoffensive.
Turned into grating with the kind of rotation it got.

Eh I don't think thats the case. It probably wouldn't have been released 5 years ago, but I don't think it has anything to do with our standards for music going down. Has more to do with the rise of Dance tracks in popularity on mainstream radio in the last few years.

There have always been terrible songs on the radio. We just tend to forget about them later.
Definitely, just look at the year-end hot 100 lists for those years. The good stuff is right alongside the garbage. It's always been that way and it will always be that way.

SaintZ

Flopzinger's latest video is up.

iRIXt0sXNZMxy.gif

SaintZ

Is there an obsession tho? Not sure if anybody is here for her with the exception of Nem.

She is a good source for gifs tho.

i4xZepUFINuQE.gif

Well if you enjoy that song, let me recommend:

I enjoyed that for a few week as well lol.

People got over it.

....not sure what people have against fun. It seems like all "fun" songs are universally hated. I like when artists don't take themselves too seriously.

But what is the difference? Both songs have no true substance, and are beloved for their trendiness/catchiness. Except, at least Gangnum style was accompanied with a "fun" dance.

Did I lie?

ibrZwa42vmLFPm.gif

iUcl42jiTTT5Z.gif

Nope.

...but you also didn't call either bad. Which neither are. They are just....different, and obviously not for everyone.

botty

Banned
iUcl42jiTTT5Z.gif

Nope.

...but you also didn't call either bad. Which neither are. They are just....different, and obviously not for everyone.

I find both songs to be different shades of vile, but, as with most 1 hit wonders, at least it won't be around for very long. So I can respect everyone draining the fun out of it while it last.

iReI9DtgAN14.gif

royalan

I listened to that Thrift Shop song. Yeah, it's complete garbage, but I'm not mad. The poor boy is an obvious one-hit-wonder, and he'll be lucky to reach even Soulja Boy's level of "success." These things happen.

botty

Banned
You just described almost every mainstream pop song.

ibcCrw1dgPRkLs.gif

Not really. Looking at the top 10 of the hot 100 right now, most of those songs have great substance in their production alone. I won't deny that a lot of what is popular is, especially lately, is shit... but to say "almost every mainstream pop song" is kind of insulting to a huge majority.

I find both songs to be different shades of vile, but, as with most 1 hit wonders, at least it won't be around for very long. So I can respect everyone draining the fun out of it while it last.
Meh. Everyone is a one hit wonder until their second hit. Was the same thing everyone was saying about Fun. (not on popgaf specifically) which was proven to be dust when their second single smashed as well.

I will wait and see..... I don't like calling people one hit wonders until they have a few flops under the belt.

Trigger

I listened to that Thrift Shop song. Yeah, it's complete garbage, but I'm not mad. The poor boy is an obvious one-hit-wonder, and he'll be lucky to reach even Soulja Boy's level of "success." These things happen.

Not a damn lie told.

Were any of you actually looking forward to the new Shitsinger song? I thought Nem was posting all those updates ironically.

I was mildly interested. Nicole isn't lacking for talent; just vision.

botty

Banned
It's a shame that Khia's My Neck, My Back song didn't come out with all of these new Billboard rules. Could you imagine seeing that song at #1 on itunes?

Fey

Banned
i can't at yall coming for Thrift Shop. i'm happy that the public is rewarding a song that demeans trends/brand name clothing/expensive buying instead of ones about sex and one night stands, or ones that whine about ex-boyfriends, or ones about having fun in a club.

and macklemore is likely a one hit wonder, too, so let the guy have his time in limelight. ;__; it's not like thrift shop is cockblocking anything more deserving, either.

botty

Banned
i can't at yall coming for Thrift Shop. i'm happy that the public is rewarding a song that demeans trends/brand name clothing/expensive buying instead of ones about sex and one night stands, or ones that whine about ex-boyfriends, or ones about having fun in a club.

and macklemore is likely a one hit wonder, too, so let the guy have his time in limelight. ;__; it's not like thrift shop is cockblocking anything more deserving, either.

Something tells me that when Macklemore gets his itunes check he'll stop visiting the thrift shop for a while.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I wonder what his reaction would be if Your Body topped the charts. But I guess meaningless pop drivel is only acceptable if put out by your fave.

Except, I haven't stanned that song since it came out. I have specifically been behind songs like "Cease Fire" and "Red Hot Kinda Love" which are superior songs and have a metric ton of substance behind them. Of course I would have been happy for my fave if her single went #1, but I don't see how that would reflect on my opinion of the song. It's not like I am a Ke$ha stan whose enjoyment of a song is based on how high it charts.

it's not like thrift shop is cockblocking anything more deserving, either.

This is true.

At very minimum he song prevented S&T from going #1 on digital songs with its launch...... and will probably block S&S from ANY chance at topping the hot 100.

For those two acts alone we owe the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom