• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZ

So the producer of Avril's first single is the lead vocalist of Boys Like Girls so I guess it's gonna be an upbeat song for sure. I can't hate since I love Boys Like Girls tho *.*

Doing some catchup on some pop current events:

Alicia Keys' National Anthem Performance Was Expectedly Terrible - Seeing her seated at the piano before she started I was confident that she was gonna stick with her dedicated lower register and smooth it out. But no. As per, new Alicia insists on screeching her way in the highest possible octave through a song with more range that she should know what to do with. She's NOT a dynamic vocalist, or even a good singer, but when she sticks to her lower register her voice works masterfully for the genre she sings. This is like new-Christina levels of frustration. She was climbing that high range like an ant in a wet bathtub.

I didn't think much of Frank Ocean until his cover of Bad Romance - He morphed the concept of the song and turned it into a somber admission. After listening to this cover, I'm very likely to listen to his album tomorrow before Grammy night just to see what else he offers. I literally know nothing about his songs so I hope his recent album has the same attention to detail that that Bad Romance cover did.

Beyonce's Super Bowl performance reinforced the fact that she's one of the top 3 pop performers of all time - When someone is so electric that she makes her singular presence on a stage seem more majestic than the game itself, that's a rare quality that only someone like Michael Jackson was able to come close to emulating. I'm of the opinion that Beyonce actually IS the greatest pop entertainer of all time, and that's only because her combined talents of singing, dancing, and molding iconic imagery puts her a few notches about MJ. Pretty much no one has ever been on her caliber of performance, and I'm SO happy that such a high-profile performance like the Super Bowl reminded the mainstream of her talents. She's on her way to legendary status and I'm sure she'll be looked back on in the same vein as Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Beatles, and Elvis.

I started my "PRINCESSES OF POP" list a while back and unfortunately had to deal with a series of changes in my life right after that so I'm sorry for putting that on hold. I will however finish and post the ENTIRE list over the course of the weekend. I'll roll them out in bouts of 5 at a time, but once I sit down and work on it uninterrupted I should get it done fairly easily.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I didn't think much of Frank Ocean until his cover of Bad Romance - He morphed the concept of the song and turned it into a somber admission. After listening to this cover, I'm very likely to listen to his album tomorrow before Grammy night just to see what else he offers. I literally know nothing about his songs so I hope his recent album has the same attention to detail that that Bad Romance cover did.

I've been listening to Channel Orange and Nostalgia Ultra non stop the last week. They're both AMAZE. I think I actually prefer Nostalgia Ultra though - There Will Be Tears, Love Crimes, Novacane...Actually, just go listen to Love Crimes right now. Something about him singing over Nicole Kidman's pot rant is just... <3

Bladenic

Doing some catchup on some pop current events:

Alicia Keys' National Anthem Performance Was Expectedly Terrible - Seeing her seated at the piano before she started I was confident that she was gonna stick with her dedicated lower register and smooth it out. But no. As per, new Alicia insists on screeching her way in the highest possible octave through a song with more range that she should know what to do with. She's NOT a dynamic vocalist, or even a good singer, but when she sticks to her lower register her voice works masterfully for the genre she sings. This is like new-Christina levels of frustration. She was climbing that high range like an ant in a wet bathtub.

Beyonce's Super Bowl performance reinforced the fact that she's one of the top 3 pop performers of all time - When someone is so electric that she makes her singular presence on a stage seem more majestic than the game itself, that's a rare quality that only someone like Michael Jackson was able to come close to emulating. I'm of the opinion that Beyonce actually IS the greatest pop entertainer of all time, and that's only because her combined talents of singing, dancing, and molding iconic imagery puts her a few notches about MJ. Pretty much no one has ever been on her caliber of performance, and I'm SO happy that such a high-profile performance like the Super Bowl reminded the mainstream of her talents. She's on her way to legendary status and I'm sure she'll be looked back on in the same vein as Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Beatles, and Elvis.

I started my "PRINCESSES OF POP" list a while back and unfortunately had to deal with a series of changes in my life right after that so I'm sorry for putting that on hold. I will however finish and post the ENTIRE list over the course of the weekend. I'll roll them out in bouts of 5 at a time, but once I sit down and work on it uninterrupted I should get it done fairly easily.

That wasn't Frank lol. Some dude named Mateo. Pretty good shit, but yeah his cover rocks.

botty

Banned

"Molding iconic imagery"?

"notches above MJ"?

iSP8WlSjKaNmC.gif

So the producer of Avril's first single is the lead vocalist of Boys Like Girls so I guess it's gonna be an upbeat song for sure. I can't hate since I love Boys Like Girls tho *.*
I agree with you. I don't own anything Boys Like Girls related, but I like their music. So, not disappointed at all with that news.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean.

itfzD7BlAOEAJ.gif

Don't worry it means nothing, lol. But it's become a common case where people shrug off pretty accurate statements like that about Beyonce's talent and don't offer a counter-point. She's one of the all time best live acts. That's indisputable. If people refuse to see it now then they'll be totally comfortable declaring it in five years just like they do with everything else.

botty

Banned
Don't worry it means nothing, lol. But it's become a common case where people shrug off pretty accurate statements like that about Beyonce's talent and don't offer a counter-point. She's one of the all time best live acts. That's indisputable. If people refuse to see it now then they'll be totally comfortable declaring it in five years just like they do with everything else.

I agree she is one of the best performers of all time, but when you say she ''molds iconic imagery'', I am just looking for examples.

Stefan&#8482;;47483337 said:
Taylor's photoshoot for Elle magazine:

She looks amazing, as usual.
tumblr_m0f801MMIN1qm0kmzo1_r1_250.gif

To address Soulscribe's utterly ridiculous post, by the way: what iconic imagery, exactly? Beyonce hasn't crafted a single visual moment with even a tenth of the impact of the moonwalk, the white glove, the "lean", the "Billie Jean" glowing tiles...it just goes on, really.

She's not even a patch on Britney as far as iconic visuals go.

botty

Banned
To address Soulscribe's utterly ridiculous post, by the way: what iconic imagery, exactly? Beyonce hasn't crafted a single visual moment with even a tenth of the impact of the moonwalk, the white glove, the "lean", the "Billie Jean" glowing tiles...it just goes on, really.

The crotch grab, "cha-mon!," that pose when he's standing on his toes, etc...

ibrZwa42vmLFPm.gif

3phemeral

I mostly agree with everything you said since you narrowed it down to pop performer. I do agree with botty about the lack of iconic imagery however. I mean, at most so far, we can rely on the Single Ladies outfit being associated with her. If she keeps pushing that silhouette of hers, then it could probably become equally as associated.

On iconography, though, I'm thinking it's more difficult these days because of the ease of access of information. Anything can be researched, traced back to, and shared on the net so much more quickly back then. How many people even knew about Michael's rip of Bob Fosse's choreography? If MJ did that today, within an hour, people would be spreading that link and disqualifying his abilities regardless of how much raw talent he possessed.

royalan

tumblr_m0f801MMIN1qm0kmzo1_r1_250.gif

Agreed.

I've said this before, but if Bey really wants to be in that Pop Legend lane she's got to give into pageantry a little bit.

Beyonce violently twerking on stage is only so interesting for so long. And Bey is NO Prince, who had the musicality, catalogue, talent and showmanship to bring the house down with just himself, a guitar, and the baddest band in the business.

As such, Bey's performance was devoid of any real "moments" and was just her shouting "Dutty Wine!!" "Halo!" And flinging her weave across the stage. I guarantee you the only moments people will remember a year from now are Kelly and Michelle popping out of the stage.

It's what made Madonna's show better for me. She knew she couldn't carry the set on her own, so she strove to make it a visual feast of set pieces, guest performers, pyrotechnics and all-around extravagance.

You seriously need examples of iconic Beyonce imagery?

I'm at my work computer which evidently hates Google so I can't post a gif list but are we not remembering that Beyonce's booty shake in "Crazy In Love" is pretty much hers now? Or the palm twist in Single Ladies? Or even the downward punching sequence in Single Ladies.

How about her pose that's so recognizable at this point that a third of the Super Dome ignited a sillhouette of it during half time? What about her strut n stride toward the audience on stage? Or the fact that she always has wind blowing her hair back during performances? Or even the fact that her name has become synonymous with a shapely woman, or an independent woman, or a sassy one rather. Her iconography was crafted from more mainstream roots than Michael's, but the fact that she's made all these things synonymous with herself is even more impressive considering the ubiquitous sources. She's put all those things together to create a performance style that's entirely her own. Beyonce's performance imagery is very much defined, and if you're having trouble figuring that out then that only means that our popular culture is very much ENTWINED in her impact.

No, her imagery isn't on Michael Jackson's level (at least not yet), but you'd be silly to say that her image isn't immediately recognizable to the public or that the image she's adopted now hasn't become completely, uniquely hers.

Going back to me saying that's she's a few notches above MJ, I mean that in the cumulative sense. She has the stronger combination of live performance talent when you consider the fact that Michael Jackson lip synced during most of his live performances (even though he didn't lip during his concerts for a few notable eras, he was much more likely to lip sync during heavily choreographed sets), as well as the fact that her weaker dance talent is counter-balanced by her overwhelmingly stronger singing talent. Again, her reputation as an icon both as a performer and in her imagery is not on Michael's level, but I'm not going to shy away from admitting the very obvious fact that there is a modern performer that is easily on his level. It's silly to at least not admit that, regardless of who you stan for.

@Royalan: The difference I saw in Madonna and Beyonce's performances was that the latter didn't need set gimmicks and guest stars to share the alloted time because she can carry a performance all by herself. I saw the Destiny's Child reunion as a bit of icing on the cake; she absolutely didn't need them to be there and they certainly weren't the highlight of the performance. There's no way for me to know if Madonna could have carried that entire set by herself because she was littered the entire time by set gimmicks and special guests. At the very least it showed me where their confidence as performers lie.

botty

Banned
You seriously need examples of iconic Beyonce imagery?

I'm at my work computer which evidently hates Google so I can't post a gif list but are we not remembering that Beyonce's booty shake in "Crazy In Love" is pretty much hers now? Or the palm twist in Single Ladies? Or even the downward punching sequence in Single Ladies.

How about her pose that's so recognizable at this point that a third of the Super Dome ignited a sillhouette of it during half time? What about her strut n stride toward the audience on stage? Or the fact that she always has wind blowing her hair back during performances? These are all small elements of the whole, and she's put them all together to create a performance style that's entirely her own. Beyonce's performance imagery is very much defined, and if you're having trouble figuring that out then that only means that our popular culture is very much ENTWINED in her impact.

No, her imagery isn't on Michael Jackson's level (at least not yet), but you'd be silly to say that her image isn't immediately recognizable to the public or that the image she's adopted now hasn't become completely, uniquely hers.

Going back to me saying that's she's a few notches above MJ, I mean that in the cumulative sense. She has the stronger combination of live performance talent when you consider the fact that Michael Jackson lip synced during most of his live performances (even though he didn't lip during his concerts for a few notable eras, he was much more likely to lip sync during heavily choreographed sets), as well as the fact that her weaker dance talent is counter-balanced by her overwhelmingly stronger singing talent. Again, her reputation as an icon both as a performer and in her imagery is not on Michael's level, but I'm not going to shy away from admitting the very obvious fact that there is a modern performer that is easily on his level. It's silly to at least not admit that, regardless of who you stan for.

I think Diana Ross and Mariah have been doing the hair wind thing longer, but... not two pieces of choreo being the extent of her iconic imagery.

P8WBoDz.gif

royalan

I think that, if we're talking about sheer performance ability, just dancing and singing, Beyonce is undeniably top tier.

But, if we're talking about creativity, spectacle, concept, and all-around showmanship, Bey is as vanilla as it gets.

Even Rihanna is above her in that regard, and I'm 100% serious when I say that.

I think Diana Ross and Mariah have been doing the hair wind thing longer, but... not two pieces of choreo being the extent of her iconic imagery.

P8WBoDz.gif

Bot sis, Michael debuted the moonwalk en masse as part of some choreo for Billie Jean. Since then he's incorporated it into his performances so much that people caught on, and equated the dance with his name. His most impressive and iconic moves were latched on to bigger choreographic pieces in performances and music videos. That's the case with Beyonce too.

James Brown was doing the shuffle and pose well before MJ did too, but lo' and behold, it's MJ's now. I suppose Diana and Mariah got jipped in that equation too. Doesn't matter though, it's Beyonce's now.

@Roy - I have a hard time figuring out Rihanna's image and concept as an artist because she's morphed herself and her sound completely with each era. Beyonce's had a consistent sound, look, and style since the start. It takes that kind of consistency to create lasting iconography. It's the same reason why Christina Aguilera has had a hard time garnering resurgence recently, while JT's hype is through the roof. The latter managed to craft a look and style for himself that others were unable to emulate well, whereas Christina (like Rihanna) insisted on changing things up on a constant basis.

botty

Banned
Bot sis, Michael debuted the moonwalk en masse as part of some choreo for Billie Jean. Since then he's incorporated it into his performances so much that people caught on, and equated the dance with his name. His most impressive and iconic moves were latched on to bigger choreographic pieces in performances and music videos. That's the case with Beyonce too.

James Brown was doing the shuffle and pose well before MJ did too, but lo' and behold, it's MJ's now. I suppose Diana and Mariah got jipped in that equation too. Doesn't matter though, it's Beyonce's now.

I will give Beyonce the booty shake, but I don't think that the punching sequence will have the iconicness of either the moon walk or booty shake. I mean, even Beyonce's weave is more of an iconic symbol than those choreo moments.

I will give Beyonce the booty shake, but I don't think that the punching sequence will have the iconicness of either the moon walk or booty shake. I mean, even Beyonce's weave is more of an iconic symbol than those choreo moments.

It's not so much just the punching sequence, but that's probably the most memorable moment of the Single Ladies dance. It's the combination of dance moves in Single Ladies that lend to her iconography, much like the entire intro to Billie Jean does for MJ. Most of the sequence in Billie Jean became famous as separate dances even though they were all part of the whole. I'm assuming this will be the same case with Single Ladies.

botty

Banned
Lady Starlight drags Rihanna and Bieber for filth

90XmhVq.gif

Justin Bieber released six albums before his 19th birthday, and Rihanna has released seven since 2005. They don’t have time to reinvent, right?

LS: Not to speak disparagingly of Justin Bieber or Rihanna, but they’re not so hands-on with their image or their sound. They don’t write the music. They have people doing things for them. Whereas Gaga is more like a Bowie. Gaga is a real musician, and a real artist. Her thing is the creative process – she’s involved in everything. She’s pop, but, in a way, she’s more like a rock-and-roll act.

Did it lie?

iblKi6qawT5QiR.gif

LOL - no disrespect my ass. ALL tea ALL shade!!

Siiiiiiiiis you need to tell me who you're stanning for on Drag Race!!

I'm all about Alaska, Lineysha
especially out of drag, yum
and Jinkx Monsoon. Also Alyssa cracks me the fuck up, but mostly because his face is a biological anomaly.

botty

Banned
It's not so much just the punching sequence, but that's probably the most memorable moment of the Single Ladies dance. It's the combination of dance moves in Single Ladies that lend to her iconography, much like the entire intro to Billie Jean does for MJ. Most of the sequence in Billie Jean became famous as separate dances even though they were all part of the whole. I'm assuming this will be the same case with Single Ladies.

I don't particularly like Billie Jean, but I understand what you're trying to say.

Styles

This just came on:

Cause there we are again in the middle of the night
We're dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light
Down the stairs, I was there
I remember it all too well

ibb9OZkKj3UAYj.gif

Nathan Chapman, your back-up vocals, they slay me.
a3fdf692.gif

Bye, Madonna's superbowl performance was garbage. All she had going was her impressive music. The performance itself was a fucking disaster of mishmashed ideas. She comes in on an extravagant palanquin with Roman warriors and then suddenly she's on bleachers with b-boys in white tracksuits, then LMFAO is strumming her damn leg. And it gets worse! The fucking cheerleaders show up and Madge is dancing around with pom-poms that completely clash with her outfit and Nicki and MIA in equally embarrassing get-ups. Then she throws on a glittering mumu and sings Like a Prayer with a church choir while ~WORLD PEACE~ is displayed on the floor. Uh, Madonna you came in on the back of a Roman army. Madge's performance was poorly conceived, out-of-touch and desperate.

botty

Banned
Bye, Madonna's superbowl performance was garbage. All she had going was her impressive music. The performance itself was a fucking disaster of mishmashed ideas. She comes in on an extravagant palanquin with Roman warriors and then suddenly she's on bleachers with b-boys in white tracksuits, then LMFAO is strumming her damn leg. And it gets worse! The fucking cheerleaders show up and Madge is dancing around with pom-poms that completely clash with her outfit and Nicki and MIA in equally embarrassing get-ups. Then she throws on a glittering mumu and sings Like a Prayer with a church choir while ~WORLD PEACE~ is displayed on the floor. Uh, Madonna you came in on the back of a Roman army. Madge's performance was poorly conceived, out-of-touch and desperate.

Good point, tbh.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Rih doesn't write her own music? Funny.

Even saying she doesn't, idk why the girls are so pressed about it. Why does it matter if you do or don't write the music you sing? Lots of actresses or actors don't write a line of the words they speak on TV and in movies, and some of the most iconic songs we've ever heard weren't written by the singing artist. Rih and Justin have them hot and bothered cause they've had the charts in their control. I'd be pressed as fuck if I could never get a chance to shine because I was a flop too.

Did it lie? Maybe not. Is it relevant? No. Is it fuming? Yes. Poor her.

iZ7Cmyy6DZY3w.gif

Stefan™;47485873 said:
This just came on:

Cause there we are again in the middle of the night
We're dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light
Down the stairs, I was there
I remember it all too well

Nathan Chapman, your back-up vocals, they slay me.
a3fdf692.gif

Best part of the song.

Truly flawless.

Probably my favorite Taylor track of all time.

Rih doesn't write her own music? Funny.

Even saying she doesn't, idk why the girls are so pressed about it. Why does it matter if you do or don't write the music you sing? Lots of actresses or actors don't write a line of the words they speak on TV and in movies, and some of the most iconic songs we've ever heard weren't written by the singing artist. Rih and Justin have them hot and bothered cause they've had the charts in their control. I'd be pressed as fuck if I could never get a chance to shine because I was a flop too.

Did it lie? Maybe not. Is it relevant? No. Is it fuming? Yes. Poor her.

iZ7Cmyy6DZY3w.gif
Yep, songwriting means nothing to me.

Lady Gaga can write all the incomprehensible vile nonsense she wants - give me a buzz when she develops even a tenth of the musicianship of someone like Whitney.

iZ7Cmyy6DZY3w.gif

Majmun

Soulscribe nails it when it comes to Bey. She definitely has her signature poses and dance moves. She's a legend in the making. Everyone respects her crafsmanship. Many artists stan for her and sincerely respect her. And she's only 31 years old.

Can't wait to see what she has achieved when she's 50 years old. Bey has really grown as an artist and I have a feeling that she has much more left to show. My Bey stanning will only get more passionate tbh.

That royalan thread over at OT has been AMAZING btw lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom