• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
What the hell happened on this page? lol

Poopi who else?

chi2jYK.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I left my laptop charger at uni
There are dark times ahead

iAz9egicEvc7i.gif

SaintZ

One Woman Army is now called Ciara. Best album since Evolution here are snippets that were up for free on her site

Im Out

Sophomore

Body Party

Keep On Lookin'

Read My Lips

Where You Go

Super Turnt Up

DUI

Livin It Up

Overdose
I'm here for Body Party and I'm Out. Overdose is cute I guess. Why does Cici have 2 songs featuring Nicki tho?

I need to listen to the full tracks to judge but so far....

ciaraserved4nk4r.gif

In other news...

Pap: Miley are you pregnant?

Miley: No, I'm fucking sick you bitch.

ibm4pwkEanHiZP.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
But she has her features have been slaying (her parts anyway) and we can't stop is unlike anything on the radio. Only a king.

iblAG8WKV5bQ5k.gif

spill it

but I cant at radio still paying the song dust, but hopefully the video yesterday garnered enough attention for the song so it can start picking up with air plays

i5anZB9nMOq8g.gif

Mumei

But, in most cases, vocal damage does not lead to your general singing ability careening off a cliff in such a short time as you're suggesting with Christina and in general. There are countless singers with technique that ranges from "passable" to "all out shit" who go on to maintain their general ability for the vast majority of their lives and careers. Just off the top of my head:

You can't do apples to oranges comparisons like that. Whitney wasn't able to maintain her voice and gorgeous tone for eight years in spite of cigarette smoking, drinking, and hard drugs before she seriously started to decline simply because she had fantastic technique. It wouldn't matter how good her technique was if she had a light and fragile voice instead of a thick spinto - and most of the singers you mentioned are mezzos with more weight to their voices. Christina is a lyric mezzo soprano with a light voice and she has been singing for years with a raised larynx, an extraordinary amount of tension, and harsh glottal onsets. Of course she's going to take more damage than a heavier mezzo voice like Tina Turner.

I have said this before: Christina has a voice that is similar in weight to Mariah, and we both know how fast Mariah's voice fell off between 1997 and 1999. It is entirely possible to vocal damage to cause precipitous declines, and Mariah's decline was absolutely related to unhealthy vocal technique, due to her overuse of breathiness in her vocals. This was exacerbated by her existing vocal damage from her nodules and the natural fragility of her voice, but it was a factor and it made her decline inevitable. This will also likely happen to Ariana if she continues in that same vein.

But I also don't think that Christina's general singing ability has suddenly careened off a cliff; I think that this is a continuation of a trend that has been in existence for a long time and it is simply catching up to her now. If you watch vocal range videos of her singing live, she can see over the years as she loses clarity and as she starts straining earlier and earlier.

Disuse Stuffs

You're right, disuse can have an effect. And it certainly did have an effect with Whitney, but I think you're nuts if you think that her drug use - which by all accounts became much worse while she was inactive and a recluse than it had been before - was not due to damage. Vocal damage doesn't just magically go away as your vocal chords develop scar tissue and nodules. Unless you go on vocal rest immediately and allow your voice to recover, or get it surgically removed, you're stuck with it... and nodules beget more vocal damage.

Let's be honest here. These are some things that can damage your voice:

1. Disuse
  2. Excessive tension
  3. Excessive breathiness
  4. Excessive singing or vocalizing
  5. Poor Vocal Placement
  6. Bad speaking techniques (no seriously)
  7. Yelling / Shouting
  8. Overly harsh glottal onsets
  9. Smoking
  10. Drinking
  11. Various illicit substances
  12. Excessive loudness (for your voice)

This is not meant to be exhaustive, but I think it is clear that you can never say that one thing led to a singer's decline. For instance, I would point to 3, 4, 6, and 10 as things that negatively affected Mariah's voice. Or for Whitney, 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, and 11. So the fact that you are trying to say, "Well, because Christina has a lot of disuse, I'm going to point to that as the main factor and largely ignore 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 12 as major factors" - in spite of the fact that their effects have been evidence for years now - strikes me as a reach.

Similarly for Christina, she has issues that could contribute to diminished vocal quality. I won't make excuses for her bad technique. But none of this has a more pronounced effect on her singing than the simple fact that she just doesn't sing often. Christina takes YEARS off from performing and, when she's on break, she doesn't sing. She barely puts in appearances, she doesn't do vocal exercises, she doesn't keep up with a vocal coach. She does nothing. And that's affecting her now because she takes so much time off and then tries to just jump back into the game singing songs that span 3 octaves live. Yeah, no.

You aren't making excuses for her bad technique; you are making excuses for her poor vocal condition that don't relate to her bad technique.

And doesn't keep up with a vocal coach? Oh:

I can't wait to hear the results of her work with Seth Riggs, though. From her performance of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" back in December of last year, you can already hear her sounding stronger and more relaxed than any of her Bionic-era performances, and she had only just started worked with Seth. That head voice moment...

Well, you've heard the results. How did that work out?

But the voice is still there. The range is largely still there. If it wasn't, she wouldn't be able to even hit these notes in-studio, but she can. If you want an example of singers whose voices are truly shot, listen to Julie Andrews. Listen to Liza Minnelli. These are singers whose voices are so gone that they can't even access their original ranges in a studio environment, much less live.

If you go by studio vocals, Rihanna can hit those notes in studio. Christina can't hit them well, and you can hear the damage in her voice. If you go by studio vocals, Mariah sounds much the same as she did in the early 00s and sometimes as good as she did in the mid-90s!

I don't buy studio vocals as particularly reliable. At best they say that the notes might still be in her throat - though given the way that they are yelped or screeched out on Lotus I'm not sure I'd count them at all - but either way given her inability or unwillingness to stick with her vocal training I don't see what difference it makes.

Which is why I maintain what I said: If Christina regained the discipline to submit herself to regular vocal exercises and working with a vocal coach, I have no doubt in my mind that she could regain the vast majority of her original vocal ability. I still maintain that her biggest problem is simple disuse, not technique.

We've seen Disciplinetina return with her dedication to losing weight. I have faith that some of that renewed dedication will seep into her singing. *.*

Which, to be fair, Christina acknowledged. Which is why she's been working with famed vocal coach Seth Riggs since last year:

Gooday Christina Fan

Yes i do confirm that Christina is currently one of my clients. We are working on her clarity, methods of projections, resonance and incorporating my "speech level singing technique" into her overall technique, which I am sure will lead to the expansion of her overall range.

Thank you
Seth

http://popoverdose.com/showthread.php?t=21787#axzz1rKanBTYF

uh huh

How much credence should we give this disuse hypothesis when she's supposedly had a vocal coach since 2011?

Esch

Banned
iwmIbLA8ok5nP.gif

We can't stop is trash. Shameless Rihanna copy. She even copped a Mike WiLL beat just because he's hot right now. What's she trying to do, get rap crossover? None of us have time for that bullshyt . There's nothing original or worthwhile about this chick, even Ariana Grande's Ditto impersonation is better than hers. Billy Ray must be disgusted right now, his daughter is ~30 months from being the new Amanda Bynes.

Bladenic

Calling her the future Amanda Bynes is so dumb, what has she done exactly? Did some revealing shoots, big deal. Started doing music that's more raunchy, oh Lord. Smokes weed? Yeah so does everyone including Rihanna who's like the biggest drug user in the business without being a druggie. She's nowhere near Amanda Bynes, sorry.

We can't stop is a Rihanna ripoff yeah. I mean it's a Rihanna leftover so there's no defending that.

What I don't get is how Selena has been completely free of scrutiny. Yeah she hasn't been as upfront as Miley but her Rihanna leftover is about fucking, she dated Bieber and probs fucked Gucci, starred in Spring Breakers, and also started dressing more revealingly.

I'm not saying she's not a tryhard because she is. But all this ire over an image change and calling her the next Amanda Bynes over nothing is just too much.

Trigger

Yes Esch read Miley for filth.

What I don't get is how Selena has been completely free of scrutiny. Yeah she hasn't been as upfront as Miley but her Rihanna leftover is about fucking, she dated Bieber and probs fucked Gucci, starred in Spring Breakers, and also started dressing more revealingly.

Selena has the classier public image IMO. I'm not sure why she should be under scrutiny tbh. She's quietly slipping into maturity without relying on silly antics to do it. It doesn't hurt that being coupled with the Biebs makes her look better by association.

Mumei can teach me so much about singing technique n shit.

Mumu, rank these ladies from most to least polished across a couple of those categories you mentioned!

- Whitney
- Mariah
- Aretha
- Patti
- Beyonce
- Christina
- Kelly
- Adele

I just wanna see how you compare them. Do it for meeeeeee.

royalan

Mumu, rank these ladies from most to least polished across a couple of those categories you mentioned!

- Whitney
- Mariah
- Aretha
- Patti
- Beyonce
- Christina
- Kelly
- Adele

Ooh! Let me see if I know Mumu as well as I think:

-Whitney
-Aretha
-Patti
-Mimi
-BeySatancé
-Kelly
-Christina
-Adele

Overall

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
There is a rumor that Gaga is going to be named Woman of the Year by Rolling Stone in their September issue

if true I'm going to have a kii towards your faves
i7idInJMKwWp3.gif

Fey

Banned
There is a rumor that Gaga is going to be named Woman of the Year by Rolling Stone in their September issue

i7idInJMKwWp3.gif

They already know they will be slayed in August/September.

iAz9egicEvc7i.gif

maybe

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just got back from This is The End and I cant at people clapping at Rihanna's death and there were even a few standing ovations. The movie was fucking awesome but lord those laughs when Rih went through that thing.

Rih has the best rated movie of all the girls here? This has like 85 or something on RT

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
makes me kii

every

single

time
salkjg;dkfgj;kldfgj

Not subtle, but VICIOUS.
Just got back from This is The End and I cant at people clapping at Rihanna's death and there were even a few standing ovations. The movie was fucking awesome but lord those laughs when Rih went through that thing.

Rih has the best rated movie of all the girls here? This has like 85 or something on RT
Not even close.

th

Mumei

- Whitney
- Mariah
- Aretha
- Patti
- Beyonce
- Christina
- Kelly
- Adele

Which categories, exactly?

Artemisia

Banned
that African chanting in the chorus was everything, why was it removed?

The song is all percussion, that's probably why it sounds so flat.

This foreshadowing of an epic slayage from GaGa later this year has gotten me all worked up. XBeyOne tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom