• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if Prince is such a legend, why does Xtina have three decades of musical relevancy and Prince only one?

i3ruXDrYgIEdr.gif

Musical relevancy to whom? You and Roy? That's such a non sensical question. What is Christina doing musically relevant right now? A talent show for people everyone forgets at the end of the season? Is she playing any venues? Is she selling any records? Touring? Intimate shows? Singing in the bathroom on youtube? No? What has Christina done that isn't a mockery of her craft and a showcase of vocal degradation?

iZb4rDD12KhXq.gif

Prince, for whatever his faults, still dedicated to the mastery of his craft and playing shows people pay money to see. Can Christina say the same? I dunno. We'll see if she ever tries.

Nemesis_

Does anyone give a shit about LOtUSFLOW3R or 20Ten?

il6BFOX131OoN.gif

Pumping out shit music isn't better than having no music and the way these albums are received makes me wonder how this is 'mastery' of the craft.

Yes, he has his tour receipts, but much like the hag people are here for their old stuff. Legendary "legacy" acts if you will.

I think if anything it's soiling his 'legend' status

Does anyone give a shit about LOtUSFLOW3R or 20Ten?
Some people do. You gave enough of a shit to look them up to drag with.
Pumping out shit music isn't better than having no music and the way these albums are received makes me wonder how this is 'mastery' of the craft.
Yeah, they're shitty songs, but he plays them well. lol. He comes up with a good song every now and then. I'm guessing artists that write their own material run out of stuff to write about eventually.
Yes, he has his tour receipts, but much like the hag people are here for their old stuff. Legendary "legacy" acts if you will.
People are still here for them tho. Lets see what LG is doing in 2043... (wait i'll be..) think back on this on 2043 and see if anyone is still here for her.
Aside from you and some old queens.
itkPymzLsxZul.gif

botty

Banned
Musical relevancy to whom? You and Roy? That's such a non sensical question. What is Christina doing musically relevant right now? A talent show for people everyone forgets at the end of the season? Is she playing any venues? Is she selling any records? Touring? Intimate shows? Singing in the bathroom on youtube? No? What has Christina done that isn't a mockery of her craft and a showcase of vocal degradation?

iZb4rDD12KhXq.gif

Prince, for whatever his faults, still dedicated to the mastery of his craft and playing shows people pay money to see. Can Christina say the same? I dunno. We'll see if she ever tries.

I know people like to down play the fact that you can find Xtina's name on the charts in every decade of her career, but the facts are the facts. Xtina is a charting artist, and if she is a featured artist on a #1 single... it counts; if she is featured on a smash latino hit... it counts. Mean while, Prince has defecated more singles and albums than Rihanna on a laxative binge without anything to show for it. Sure it's impressive that Prince can write and produce so much music, but it's even more impressive that the "if-you-throw-enough-shit-at-the-wall-something-is-bound-to-stick" rule simply will not apply to him. Hell, even Lotus managed to get a gold certification single. Fitting since he hasn't made good music since the 80s. If that isn't a sign of talent deterioration, then Madonna is a beacon of youth.

legendtinahpkcg.gif

cory64

Authenticity? Legit writing credits? A real musical perspective? Integrity?

But I mean, you're a Beyst fan, so I'll excuse you for not knowing what any of these things are...

Beyonce's better than Christina in every lane except risk-taking, which the former never needed to do because she captured a niche/aesthetic that people wanted to see consistently. Christina doesn't have Beyonce beat in authenticity, musical perspective or integrity.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I assumed someone would have posted within those 4 minutes. Step yo game up girls!!

I know people like to down play the fact that you can find Xtina's name on the charts in every decade of her career, but the facts are the facts. Xtina is a charting artist, and if she is a featured artist on a #1 single... it counts; if she is featured on a smash latino hit... it counts.

People downplay it because its stan bullshit. But since we're including lesser US charts, Prince charted (top 10) from 1978 - 1996 (he even got #7 in 2006 on the Canadian charts.)

Mean while, Prince has defecated more singles and albums than Rihanna on a laxative binge without anything to show for it.

You're being disingenuous.

Sure it's impressive that Prince can write and produce so much music, but it's even more impressive that the "if-you-throw-enough-shit-at-the-wall-something-is-bound-to-stick" rule simply will not apply to him.

How many independent artists are charting? Prince hasn't been a signed artist since maybe 2000. Hell half of his 90's output was shit because he wanted out of his contract and just threw several albums to his record company, that he nor they promoted. Anything he's released subsequently has been through one off distribution deals. So without label backing/payola/etc, he's doing okay for himself.

Hell, even Lotus managed to get a gold certification single. Fitting since he hasn't made good music since the 80s. If that isn't a sign of talent deterioration, then Madonna is a beacon of youth.
That (the bolded) seems a bit subjective. I'd give him til at least 2003 til he started churning out stuff I don't particularly care for.

Comparing Christina's and Princes career side by side:

Christina's 14th year - a #7 album / Prince's 14th year - a #5 album.
Christina's 7th album - #7 album / Prince's 7th album - a #6 album.

ibeOYK1YXRTQzb.gif

I'm mad I even entertained this foolishness. I'm going to bed.

Kyon

Banned
Christina doesn't have Beyonce beat in authenticity, musical perspective or integrity.

Goodbye eBey has 0 integrity. Did you type this with a str8 face? The #1 known street rat thief of the industry has integrity? kii

Also it's kind of EMBARRASSING yet TELLING that Xtina has had 2 consistent flop albums and still managed to get more hits and certifications under her belt than eBey with ha own flop album. If eBey is so superior why hasn't anyone CARED enough to buy into ha talent and musical INTEGRITY?

3phemeral

Honestly, this "3 decades of hits" is irrelevant when you start your career at the very end of a decade while riding the coattails of a pop explosion.

cory64

The gulf between the number of artists that have had hits in 3 consecutive decades and those that have had hits in 4 is huge.

Kyon

Banned
Not the literal 1 hit wonder that disappeared all up till now still having ironic stans still thinking she's going to ever HAPPEN
priceless.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Partition

Banned
Disappointing as a big Kylie fan to kind of see how messy her next album is coming out to be....

Skirt kind of sucks and Brooke is amazing but shouldn't be brought anywhere near anyone who is an icon and has a reputation. I hope this "Americanization" of Kylie doesn't kill her quality...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Disappointing as a big Kylie fan to kind of see how messy her next album is coming out to be....

Skirt kind of sucks and Brooke is amazing but shouldn't be brought anywhere near anyone who is an icon and has a reputation. I hope this "Americanization" of Kylie doesn't kill her quality...

Have we heard the final version of Skirt yet? I thought the one we had was a remix, unless they are just going to push that one

Does anyone have a better version of Bow Down live?

Nemesis_

MADONNA to re-release classic album to celebrate anniversary

Today, it was announced that Madonna is going to re-release her 1989 classic album "Like a Prayer" Even though a date hasn't been set, Madonna finally agreed with Warner Brothers to celebrate the album's 25th year anniversary.

The re-released album will have a couple of never before heard tracks that didn't make it to the final album. There will also be a "Like a Prayer" app that contains many things Madonna fans will go crazy for, including a scene from the "Like a Prayer" video where she jumps off a diving board at UCLA and belly flops in a pool. The main camera missed the shot, but one of the low quality video assist cameras got it. The app will also feature footage of Madonna in the studio with producer Patrick Leonard.

It is believed that Warner Brothers is trying to make an agreement with Pepsi in order to re-release the "Like a Prayer" commercial, which was banned because of the controversial video.

Madonna is also allegedly preparing to perform the whole "Like a Prayer" album at a couple of concerts next year.

iwVe53rr4lZPp.png
#REDUCTIVE
iwVe53rr4lZPp.png

iKgox7munWQV7.gif

Goodbye eBey has 0 integrity. Did you type this with a str8 face? The #1 known street rat thief of the industry has integrity? kii

Also it's kind of EMBARRASSING yet TELLING that Xtina has had 2 consistent flop albums and still managed to get more hits and certifications under her belt than eBey with ha own flop album. If eBey is so superior why hasn't anyone CARED enough to buy into ha talent and musical INTEGRITY?

No one bought into her talent? She has 17 Grammys and a sold out tour, lol. If those aren't the most fitting representation of musical talent then I don't know what other metrics you're using.

So giving Christina more credit through two albums than Beyonce with one isn't saying shit, it's a red herring and you know it. Also, not sure what certifications you're talking about, seeing as how 4 outsold Bionic and Lotus combined. But okay.

4 showed that regardless of what your name is you need to have songs tailored for radio to do well on radio. That's not a slight to the quality of the album but the nature of it. An album like that, much like most of Bionic, was not tailored to do well on radio. It'd be worse if it WAS made for radio and failed (i.e. Lotus), and that would be a definitive slight to Beyonce's name, but it actually doesn't say anything about Beyonce's relevance so much as prove AGAIN that songs need to be made for radio to do well on radio. Which also explains why Judas and Marry The Night didn't smash. Regardless of who you are, you need to play the radio game to get your number ones. Rihanna's been playing that game for years; Beyonce stopped caring about that since 2010.

Majmun

Death, Bey hate is still a thing here?

Bey has nothing to prove anymore. She has achieved basically everything in the music industry. She can do whatever she likes to do. Haters can keep on being pressed while Bey is touring and having huge success while doing so.

Performance and vocal talent is what makes an artist a good artist IMO. And no fave can touch Bey on those regards. Stay on hating tho.

The only thing that rings false in an otherwise top-notch post. I don't think Bey will stop caring until a decade or so from now.

She didn't care that era then.

She and Rih are in a similar lane only in so far that they shop for songs; the process in the pursuit of a number one hit for them is to reach out to the producers and writers that have had the most contemporary success lately, and trying to capture the magic of their biggest successes for themselves. Rihanna's been doing that for at least three eras, and her radio success shot through the roof because of it. She goes through the same process as Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez went through a decade back, and the result is a larger acclamation of number ones to your name.

Beyonce tapped popular producers/writers like Dream and Diplo but seemed to use them for more personal or niche R&B songs than for songs that would promise to do well on radio. She seemed to care more about making an album that speaks to her than an album that speaks to the masses, so for one era she didn't have a top 10 hit. If you're not willing to play the game, you're not going to get certifications, and that's that. If Beyonce went through the same rounds as Rihanna's team has then 4 would be in a VERY different place now, but that's simply not the case.

Rihanna's rising success during Beyonce's radio sabbatical was not a coincidence; if Beyonce didn't step out from the song-bidding in 2009 then Rihanna would not have been offered as many promising hits as she has. After Beyonce seemed to take a bigger liking to touring than releasing singles, Rihanna became the next highest bidder. Granted, I think Beyonce would have had less hits anyway, and that's because the bitch is picky. However it's interesting to me that Rihanna managed to rise and peak at a time when Beyonce stepped out of that lane, and now that Beyonce seems content with the new path she's forged for herself (much to the chagrin of pop-gaf, sorry girls), I'm not sure whether Beyonce's interested in migrating back to the path that Rihanna now operates in. If that were to happen, and given how much hype surrounds Beyonce on a constant, Rihanna's industry capital would get shot down several pegs. There's no way to know for sure until it happens, but the tea's still real.

Bladenic

LOL at this continued delusion. How convenient that you are forgetting 2007-2008, when Rih had like 4-5 #1 hits while Bey had... one lol. Her last to date I might add. Keep trying it though. It's still cute, but very close to falling off the slippery slope.

Also this whole "4 was not radio friendly" nonsense needs to stop. Run The World wasn't the best lead single choice, but Worst Shit I Ever Released was clearly meant to be a Irreplaceable redux. It failed. And you can't sit there and say that Party, Countdown, Schoolin' Life, End of Time, or another one of those ballads weren't radio friendly. Bey just flopped, plain and simple.

LOL at this continued delusion. How convenient that you are forgetting 2007-2008, when Rih had like 4-5 #1 hits while Bey had... one lol. Her last to date I might add. Keep trying it though. It's still cute, but very close to falling off the slippery slope.

Also this whole "4 was not radio friendly" nonsense needs to stop. Run The World wasn't the best lead single choice, but Worst Shit I Ever Released was clearly meant to be a Irreplaceable redux. It failed. And you can't sit there and say that Party, Countdown, Schoolin' Life, End of Time, or another one of those ballads weren't radio friendly. Bey just flopped, plain and simple.

Not counting 2007 since Beyonce didn't release any singles, but 2008 had Single Ladies get 4X Platinum, If I Were A Boy get 2X Platinum, versus Disturbia getting 4X Platinum and Take A Bow take 2X Platinum. We can call that a perpetual tie for that year if you'd like, but yes, that was at the end of Beyonce's aggressive radio tenure and the era ended with Single Ladies being the biggest hit of her career. Rihanna gets credit for being both the fresh-faced contender and having a song (Disturbia) that perfectly hit at the cusp of the incoming autotune trend. 2009 brought Beyonce a 2X Platinum hit (Halo) and a 1X Platinum hit (Sweet Dreams) versus Rihanna releasing the first and second single off a new album that brought her a 1X Gold (Russian Roulette) and a 1X Platinum (Hard). So if we were going to be pulling a #NVAY and doing a numbers game then Beyonce had Rihanna beat during Beyonce's last major radio push. Then again, this push was successful not just because of her name but because the songs were more catered to do well, and fell in line with what the radio trends were looking for (traditional R&B, big power ballads, and in Rihanna's case, alt-R&B and auto-tune pop).

And no, most of 4 (aside from Countdown) was not catered for radio, at least not in 2011. It wasn't what the populace was here for, and while that album would actually do better in 2013, it made sense for it not to smash on regular radio. The album itself is stellar, but if commercial radio isn't here for it then even your name isn't enough. And that's a lesson every fave will have to learn eventually. Gaga learned it with BTW.

cory64

MADONNA to re-release classic album to celebrate anniversary

Today, it was announced that Madonna is going to re-release her 1989 classic album "Like a Prayer" Even though a date hasn't been set, Madonna finally agreed with Warner Brothers to celebrate the album's 25th year anniversary.

The re-released album will have a couple of never before heard tracks that didn't make it to the final album. There will also be a "Like a Prayer" app that contains many things Madonna fans will go crazy for, including a scene from the "Like a Prayer" video where she jumps off a diving board at UCLA and belly flops in a pool. The main camera missed the shot, but one of the low quality video assist cameras got it. The app will also feature footage of Madonna in the studio with producer Patrick Leonard.

It is believed that Warner Brothers is trying to make an agreement with Pepsi in order to re-release the "Like a Prayer" commercial, which was banned because of the controversial video.

Madonna is also allegedly preparing to perform the whole "Like a Prayer" album at a couple of concerts next year.

iwVe53rr4lZPp.png
#REDUCTIVE
iwVe53rr4lZPp.png

iKgox7munWQV7.gif
THEY WILL REMASTER IT AND IT WILL SOUND FUCKING TERRIBLE AND I WILL CRY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom