• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Katy is doing new music, Gaga is bound to be there
Who knows, maybe even Bey will rock up. Whats her schedule like?

Most exciting award show in quite some time tbh

DMeisterJ

Banned
CIARA 57,515

Hang it up, FLATSCREEN

To put this into perspective, Ciara had a single that charted higher on the Hot 100 than any song on Kelly Rowland's album or Fantasia's album, and they both moved more units than her. Truly a singles artist.

The fact that you're putting future legends Rihanna and Taylor in the same bracket as Shitbull and Garbage is insulting.

They're in the same bracket, performance-wise. Sorry...

EDIT: I can't tell if we're proud or disappointed in Ciara with those numbers, lol. Are those good?

Bladenic

They're in the same bracket, performance-wise. Sorry...

EDIT: I can't tell if we're proud or disappointed in Ciara with those numbers, lol. Are those good?

How ironic coming from an Xtina stan.

Death at Ci-Error coming in UNDER expectations. Give it up bitch. Although I think that's an improvement from Basic Flop...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Azealia interview is on

-Shes in london doing some engineering work, touching up some vocals
-ATMJAM was originaly planned for Beyonce with azealia doing a feature, but when Azealia wrote it, bey thought it was to raunchy so she had it (side note; I think the song was made around Christmas time, not too sure though)
-1991 ep and Fantasea were album cuts
-She felt fame hit her too quick so she had to keep releasing stuff which is why BWET has been taking so long
-A lot of singing and vocals, not just rapping, a more mature sound
-She hopes to be finished with the album in August, with a September/October/November release

ATMJAM has elevated itself imo. Fucking love it now
Kinda sad that BWET wont be out for ages, but they'll be another single in the mean time I guess

3phemeral

I don't really get the point you're trying to make here. We're going to discredit all 3 decades because of her strongest commercial career moment coming at the end of the 90s?

What exactly would have changed if the hits came at the beginning of the decade instead of the end?

"3 decades of hits" is a useless metric when you've achieved a hit in the very last year of that decade. It's an implication of staying power when the actuality of the situation, she was barely 10 years into her career when KGB came out. This is more an accomplishment of right-place-right-time than anything meaningful. It's like saying "She had the first hit of the millennium."

Matt_

Are Ya'll talking about Christina?

I'd argue that three decades of hits =/= hits in three decades

The first implies that shes been slaying for thirty years, which isn't the case

But it's just silly semantics really. I guess that's what 3 is trying to say

Yado

Azealia interview is on

-Shes in london doing some engineering work, touching up some vocals
-ATMJAM was originaly planned for Beyonce with azealia doing a feature, but when Azealia wrote it, bey thought it was to raunchy so she had it (side note; I think the song was made around Christmas time, not too sure though)
-1991 ep and Fantasea were album cuts
-She felt fame hit her too quick so she had to keep releasing stuff which is why BWET has been taking so long
-A lot of singing and vocals, not just rapping, a more mature sound
-She hopes to be finished with the album in August, with a September/October/November release

ATMJAM has elevated itself imo. Fucking love it now
Kinda sad that BWET wont be out for ages, but they'll be another single in the mean time I guess

Thank God, ATMJAM isn't good enough for Bey and the finished product sounds unprofessional and lackluster. Azealia needs to work on her enunciation, unintelligible gibberish may work for Nicki but that's a part of her character.

1991 sounds so polished and it's on a completely different level than anything she's done since, with the exception of a couple songs that were on Fantasea that should definitely have been saved for her album. I need to hear that original mix of Venus though.

3phemeral

Kii are you really using the "she was at the right place at the right time" argument?

Really?

...Really?

Is there something special that happens at the end of every decade that makes it more difficult for artists to chart a single in the next? Do trends magically shift as that number goes from 2000 to 2001? Of course it's "right place, right time," because that's exactly what that measurement of "relevancy" relies on. You seriously can't be suggesting that "3 decades of hits" is compatible with a 10-year career.

Are Ya'll talking about Christina?

I'd argue that three decades of hits =/= hits in three decades

The first implies that shes been slaying for thirty years, which isn't the case

But it's just silly semantics really. I guess that's what 3 is trying to say

Definitely semantics for the most part, but the central reasoning is the pointlessness of such an "accomplishment" when compared to career longevity. Something along the lines of "has had a hit for every decade of her 30 years in the industry" or "a hit for every year of that decade" are merits that can be less scrutinized if you're attempting to measure fame or relevancy with any meaning.

Kyon

Banned
Is there something special that happens at the end of every decade that makes it more difficult for artists to chart a single in the next? Do trends magically shift as that number goes from 2000 to 2001? Of course it's "right place, right time," because that's exactly what that measurement of "relevancy" relies on. You seriously can't be suggesting that "3 decades of hits" is compatible with a 10-year career.

And my take on that is Who gives a shit? She has hits for 3 decades. Getting technical about it and trying to dismiss the pure facts is hurting my brain tbh

#NVAY

Trigger

Definitely semantics for the most part, but the central reasoning is the pointlessness of such an "accomplishment" when compared to career longevity. Something along the lines of "has had a hit for every decade of her 30 years in the industry" or "a hit for every year of that decade" are merits that can be less scrutinized if you're attempting to measure fame or relevancy with any meaning.

Don't waste your time tbh. I understand and agree with most of your points.

royalan

MTV needs to stop trying it. Does anyone even watch the VMAs anymore?

Nope.

Last time I checked, even the BET Awards has been clocking the VMAs lately. The BET Awards beat it in ratings last year.

Who's even paying attention to the VMAs this year? They're always fucking boring.

Nope.

Last time I checked, even the BET Awards has been clocking the VMAs lately. The BET Awards beat it in ratings last year.

Who's even paying attention to the VMAs this year? They're always fucking boring.

Give us a Gaga comeback or a Beyonce single and they'll clock those ratings. When Justin Bieber's your biggest performer that naturally will not bode well. lol

Kyon

Banned
Don't waste your time tbh. I understand and agree with most of your points.

I am SHOCKED

i7CiM6tcO4IT.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Last year they had the awards on a Thursday and on the same night as the DNC not to mention their main attraction was rihanna and Katy Perry acting like lesbian lovers

It deserved to flop but this year with Gaga, nah

Matt_

A beautiful cover of Naughty Boy - La La La by 12 year old Jasmine Thompson

just heard it on the radio, hope she has success in ha future

It wasn't a complete flop. It largely accomplished what I think Gaga wanted to do, and people won't forget it anytime soon. I'm not sure if it gave BTW the boost she wanted though.

Just like every other high-profile event she did for Born This Way, it threw people off, and not in a good way.

I thought the performance was brilliant. That monologue was energetic and was a great way to satirize Gaga as a pop culture character, and she was totally committed to her alter ego from start to finish like a goddamn professional. Her trying to kiss Britney Spears was so deliciously awkward I can't. LOL

And of course the best part about Gaga presenting an award to Britney was to have her come to the stage, say thanks, and then introduce Beyonce. RIP

That was a great year for Soulscribe. lol

royalan

Just like every other high-profile event she did for Born This Way, it threw people off, and not in a good way.

I thought the performance was brilliant. That monologue was energetic and was a great way to satirize Gaga as a pop culture character, and she was totally committed to her alter ego from start to finish like a goddamn professional. Her trying to kiss Britney Spears was so deliciously awkward I can't. LOL

And of course the best part about Gaga presenting an award to Britney was to have her come to the stage, say thanks, and then introduce Beyonce. RIP

That was a great year for Soulscribe. lol

It was tryhard.

It didn't throw people off in a bad way because it was super daring and provocative. Our culture is quite used to drag at this point.

It threw people off because it had no point, was completely self-indulgent, was an obvious attempt to make headlines the next day and, worst of all, was just not at all funny.
Like, at all.

That was the night that taught me that Gaga has no fucking comedic timing whatsoever, and is just NOT funny when she's trying to be.

The night was a failure...and not in the deep, subversive, I meant to do that sort of way. I honestly think Gaga regrets that night. And she should. It was horrible.

Andy Dick as Daphne Aguilera will always be the smartest and most hilarious drag performance at the VMAs.

I don't think she was going for humor, like at all. I think she was trying to give a raw performance, and she did that. If she intended to be funny then I wasn't following where she making the attempt, except for maybe the part about kissing Britney, but I personally loved how creepster it was. Anyone who commits to a look or character regardless of how it's perceived gets my respect.

royalan

I don't think she was going for humor, like at all. I think she was trying to give a raw performance, and she did that. If she intended to be funny then I wasn't following where she making the attempt, except for maybe the part about kissing Britney, but I personally loved how creepster it was. Anyone who commits to a look or character regardless of how it's perceived gets my respect.

A raw performance.

At the VMAs?

I <3 you sis, but Ok.

Trigger

Was Bow Down supposed to be a single on Beyonic? Why haven't I heard more about that album?

Bow Down was a buzz single. The album that Standing on the Sun and Grown Woman will be featured on hasn't been discussed...........at all. We don't have a name, release date, official single, etc. I'm think she's going to pull a Jay Z and announce the album a month before release once her tour hits the states. Maybe she's also done a deal similar to the one Hov signed for MCHG.

A raw performance.

At the VMAs?

I <3 you sis, but Ok.

Sis, raw energetic performances have happened consistently at the VMAs. See Janet and Gaga in 2009. Just because she was dressed like a man doesn't mean that the performance had to be campy and cute. She was trying to create a story for this character who is neither funny nor endearing, he's a caricature. His schtick is that he's been corrupted by a failed romance with Gaga, and after taking a proverbial shit on her reputation in that monologue goes on to sing about how they should still be together. She gave off the body language of someone that was trying way too hard but the concept itself was very sharp, and it channeled Annie Lennox's 1984 Grammy performance to a T.

And I <3 you too. lol

Trigger

this year kinda sucked for pop so far eh? charli, jt and emma louise are really the only things i've been into.

Only if you're looking for bigger acts I suppose. Now's the time to check out smaller artists before we're drowned in the upcoming album slayage.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I just watched the video of Madonna, Britney, and Christina (and Missy Elliott) at the VMAs. That was such a great time for pop music. Boy bands, the girls at what were arguably their peaks, Madonna was still good, Janet was still going relatively strong (this was just before the Super Bowl), Destiny's Child was still sort of around.

Now though? Madonna is a tired old hag who is only relevant because she can still sell out shows; her older stuff will always be classic, but her new music is shit. Britney is just broken. Christina seems like she's trying to get back on track, but that's still yet to be determined; hopefully her vocal performance on the finale of The Voice was a fluke, not an indicator of what's to come.

2000-2004ish were pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom