• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Eaux, nobody told me that the vid of Bey getting her hair stuck in a fan was uploaded to Instagram by Bey herself.

Nemesis_

Taylor Swift cancels meet and greet competition when she saw who would win

A competition offering the chance to have a picture taken with Taylor Swift backstage at one of her concerts has been cancelled because online communities 4chan and Reddit conspired to ensure a "fat old guy" named Charles would win.

The 'Taylor Swift's Biggest Fan Contest', was being run by Boston, USA's Kiss 108 FM. The competition was hijacked when a 4chan user appealed to members of the online community to help Charles – whom he describes as a friend – win the vote.

The anonymous user wrote: "My creepy 39-year-old friend named Charles would like to crush all those girls' dreams (and then sniff Taylor Swift's hair cos he's into that) by winning this instead… Help him crush the dreams of these girls and give him a chance to make a complete ass of himself by blatantly just sniffing her hair with the cameras rolling."

As a result of the appeal, Charles shot rapidly up the rankings, reports Gawker. Within hours, he was at the top of the leaderboard, reportedly with the help of spam bots. Though it's not clear if he is even a real person, Charles described his own motivations more innocently: "I'm a 39-year-old man and I love Taylor so much and don't care that both adults and children mock me for it," his profile stated.

Yesterday (July 24), the radio station decided that the competition had been compromised, and terminated it. In a statement, it wrote: "Disappointingly, we have determined that the integrity of the 'Taylor Swift's Biggest Fan' contest has been compromised. In accordance with our contest rules, effective immediately, the contest has been terminated. We apologise to all of our loyal listeners who have participated."

This isn't the first time an online competition involving Taylor Swift has been hijacked by trolls. Last year, a competition offering a school a chance to have Swift come and perform was won by a school for the deaf, thanks to 4chan.

http://www.nme.com/news/taylor-swift/71616

I'm in two minds about this - if Charles were a real person and he won by appealing to a group of people to vote for him (much like any other person would if they wanted to also meet Ms. Swift) then why not just let them meet her? I mean, yeah, it's obviously a little bit unfair to the kids and stuff but I doubt that the competition stipulates who / what type of person can win.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm in two minds about this - if Charles were a real person and he won by appealing to a group of people to vote for him (much like any other person would if they wanted to also meet Ms. Swift) then why not just let them meet her? I mean, yeah, it's obviously a little bit unfair to the kids and stuff but I doubt that the competition stipulates who / what type of person can win.

I'm pressed that we wont be able to get any gifs of the awkward situation
I wonder if it was Taylor's team that canceled the meet or if it was the radio station. They shouldn't have really canceled it

This isn't the first time an online competition involving Taylor Swift has been hijacked by trolls. Last year, a competition offering a school a chance to have Swift come and perform was won by a school for the deaf, thanks to 4chan.

This made me laugh and now I feel bad
It's actually a really nice thing to do

Artemisia

Banned
Why shouldn't they have canceled it? Why give into people who are clearly trying to manipulate you for their own fun? The guy is a creep who wanted to sniff Her hair, come on now. And let's not pretend that he won fairly, I'm pretty sure people used bots and scripts to vote for him.

Also, The Lord ended up donating money to the deaf school, and gave all the students free tickets to one of her nearby concerts.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sort of a serious post - Madonna was in Dublin yesterday! But for a sad occasion.

Had no idea one of her best friends was an Irish man - David Collins. He died after being diagnosed with skin cancer just 3 weeks ago.

image.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...ourners-at-funeral-of-david-collins-1.1472661

Many friends of the architect David Collins, including Madonna, gathered at St Patrick’s Church in Monkstown Co Dublin today for his funeral mass.

The acclaimed architect, who was 58, died last Wednesday from skin cancer.

Madonna arrived very discreetly carrying a bouquet of flowers and went for tea in the parochial house with David Collins’ mother, Helen, after the mass. Graham Norton was visibly upset during the homily which was given by David’s brother, Fr Michael Collins, curate of St Mary’s on Haddington Road.

She went to the lunch afterwards and was one of a number of mourners who gave a speech, recalling how she had met him and how he 'rescued' her when she came to live in London. "What will I do now," she said, "when I need an apple tart or anything?"

:(

On a lighter note, she looked pretty fab.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Sort of a serious post - Madonna was in Dublin yesterday! But for a sad occasion.

Had no idea one of her best friends was an Irish man - David Collins. He died after being diagnosed with skin cancer just 3 weeks ago.

She went to the lunch afterwards and was one of a number of mourners who gave a speech, recalling how she had met him and how he 'rescued' her when she came to live in London. "What will I do now," she said, "when I need an apple tart or anything?"

:(

On a lighter note, she looked pretty fab.

Wait, what?
He was diagnosed three weeks ago and died two weeks later?
Jesus Christ how brutal, rip

Nemesis_

Wait, what?
He was diagnosed three weeks ago and died two weeks later?
Jesus Christ how brutal, rip

Skin cancer is one of the leading causes of death here in Australia because we've got a lot of exposure to UV radiation and most of us spend a lot of time outside. We're also sufficiently supplied with Vitamin D as a result too, so it's a catch-22.

But yeah, a lot of skin cancers are incredibly malignant. Three weeks isn't too too unreasonable but it of course depends on when he was diagnosed - it may have been in a late stage of the cancer too. Since most people shrug off the signs of skin cancer it's very possible it can go ignore for some time (particularly in Men but this is more of a psychological factor than anything else).

SO YES, ALL OF YOU WITH SUSPICIOUS SPOTS ON YOUR SKIN, GO TO YOUR DOCTOR AND GET IT CHECKED OUT.

:3

Looks like Robin has broken Mariah's radio record, making Blurred Lines the biggest radio hit off all time. Though nothing is official until Billboard confirms.

(Realistically it beat it about a week ago, but Urban radio is weighted far less heavily nowadays than in was during WBT.)

Trigger

Gross is there nothing 4chan won't ruin?

Looks like Robin has broken Mariah's radio record, making Blurred Lines the biggest radio hit off all time. Though nothing is official until Billboard confirms.

(Realistically it beat it about a week ago, but Urban radio is weighted far less heavily nowadays than in was during WBT.)

But why?

They reweight them from time to time, and they scaled urban WAY back in their formula a couple years later acknowledging that it was over-represented. EVERY #1 in 2004 was Urban, and almost as many in 2005.

Doesn't really matter though, since BL passed Mariah even without the Urban inflation.

Just look at the top 10 of all time (from a week or so ago):

Top 10 of all time:
Peak Audience, Title, Artist, Peak Date
212.1 million, "We Belong Together," Mariah Carey, July 9, 2005
196.3 million, "Irreplaceable," Beyonce, Jan. 20, 2007
192.5 million, "No One," Alicia Keys, Dec. 22, 2007
189.6 million, "Let Me Love You," Mario, Feb. 5, 2005
179 million, "Blurred Lines," Robin Thicke featuring Pharrell & T.I.
175.6 million, "Gold Digger," Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx, Oct. 22, 2005
172.8 million, "Yeah!," Usher featuring Lil Jon & Ludacris, April 17, 2004
172.3 million, "My Boo," Usher and Alicia Keys, Nov. 20, 2004
171.4 million, "Be Without You," Mary J. Blige, April 1, 2006
170.2 million, "In Da Club," 50 Cent, March 29, 2003

.....ALL from the period or Urban inflation except BL's.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You can always get under an umbrella tho
Umbrella-Animation-25fps-rihanna-30789190-320-432.gif

I mostly avoid the sun because I don't tan AT ALL. I barely even get freckles any more. I'd be a huge malignant cancerous sore within three days if I ever went to Australia
Looks like Robin has broken Mariah's radio record, making Blurred Lines the biggest radio hit off all time.

Even if you like that wretched song you surely have to admit that this is messed up.

iP1Vt36okBdw8.gif

Trigger

They reweight them from time to time, and they scaled urban WAY back in their formula a couple years later acknowledging that it was over-represented. EVERY #1 in 2004 was Urban, and almost as many in 2005.

Doesn't really matter though, since BL passed Mariah even without the Urban inflation.

Just look at the top 10 of all time (from a week or so ago):

Top 10 of all time:
Peak Audience, Title, Artist, Peak Date
212.1 million, "We Belong Together," Mariah Carey, July 9, 2005
196.3 million, "Irreplaceable," Beyonce, Jan. 20, 2007
192.5 million, "No One," Alicia Keys, Dec. 22, 2007
189.6 million, "Let Me Love You," Mario, Feb. 5, 2005
179 million, "Blurred Lines," Robin Thicke featuring Pharrell & T.I.
175.6 million, "Gold Digger," Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx, Oct. 22, 2005
172.8 million, "Yeah!," Usher featuring Lil Jon & Ludacris, April 17, 2004
172.3 million, "My Boo," Usher and Alicia Keys, Nov. 20, 2004
171.4 million, "Be Without You," Mary J. Blige, April 1, 2006
170.2 million, "In Da Club," 50 Cent, March 29, 2003

.....ALL from the period or Urban inflation except BL's.

Huh, interesting to know. Thanks.

ibs08W15MRhuR6.gif
ibs08W15MRhuR6.gif
ibs08W15MRhuR6.gif

SaintZ

Oh this article is interestinG
Beyonce Scraps 50 Songs Amid Endless Album Delay

The diva, under self-management, starts fresh on an album Sony-owned Columbia wanted to drop this fall opposite releases from Lady Gaga and Katy Perry -- but that now seems unlikely.

When producer Diplo revealed July 12 that two songs he hoped would make it onto the next Beyonce album ended up on the cutting-room floor, it stoked chatter that the project is running months behind schedule.

Like a record scratching to a halt, Beyonce, 31, is believed to have auditioned more than 50 songs for her much-anticipated fifth studio album but has decided to scrap them all and start over, a source tells THR. Among the writers potentially affected are Ryan Tedder, The-Dream, Sia, Diane Warren and Ne-Yo, who said in June that Beyonce was "still trying to figure out" a direction for the album.

The singer's label, Sony-owned Columbia, had hoped to have new Beyonce music out by spring, which turned out to be a pipe dream. Now, it looks like a fall release may not be feasible. Columbia had its sights set on a big fourth-quarter bow by Beyonce, both to compete with high-profile releases by Universal Music's Lady Gaga and Katy Perry and to capitalize on her massive Mrs. Carter tour. "Beyonce has had some of the biggest hits of our format, and we're ready for the next," says Tom Poleman, president of national programming platforms at Clear Channel.

But while the stage show goes on without new material -- save for a snippet of “Grown Woman,” the song most commonly heard as the soundtrack to a Pepsi commercial -- it wasn’t initially the plan to take a singer around the world for an ambitious eight-month trek (so far, 36 shows have grossed $55.6 million) while trying to juggle time in the studio.

In turn, the label is getting increasingly more anxious as it looks back to the costly 2011 album, 4. Recorded around the globe as she accompanied her husband, Jay Z, and his rap partner Kanye West for their own Watch the Throne sessions, Beyonce was given nearly complete autonomy over the finished product, which also was her first release since excising her father, Mathew Knowles, from her business dealings (she is now self-managed).

4 was her lowest seller at 1.4 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and it failed to produce a buzzy pop hit, despite decent positioning on the R&B charts. Poleman says he hopes for "another 'Single Ladies,' " which spent four weeks at No. 1: "Anticipation is high and expectations are, too," he says.

Beyonce's rep did not respond to requests for comment.
50 songs?! Gerl...
oFiJG.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

DMeisterJ

Banned

A mess. Rih might shit out three albums in the time it takes Beyonce to release one. And they'll all outsell her last effort.

She just needs to quit at this point.

I think Roy was right when he clocked the tea that she had an album together but the label shut it down after it sounded like a flop mess. They didn't want to get their hands dirty putting marketing dollars down on an album that would fail to sell better than a singles artist's.

A lonely, forgotten, unable-to-sell mess.

I knew she wasn't gonna make it out this year.

Here's the thing with Beyonce. She fired her father because she was overworked, tired, and was uncomfortable by the blurred lines between business and family. I totally get that, and I think her dumping Matthew was one of the boldest choices a pop star has had to make at their PEAK. After that she decided to distance herself from Jay-Z's helping hand and even deliberately REFUSED to have him appear on her album so as to not appear dependent on his magic touch. Again, it's a commendable decision to make especially when you've worked with him for SO long in the past.

The problem came around when she decided to become her own boss. For all of her talents (and honestly, wisdom about the industry), she's not CREATIVELY DRIVEN enough to manage her own name. Her own team is at her constant beck and call and while I respect that she runs the show, the gears start getting clogged a bit when you're juggling 20 different balls and you're constantly dropping them one by one.

She overclocked her 2013 schedule to the point where each individual undertaking UNDERMINDED the other. She managed to book SIX high-profile events for the year:

- 2013 Inaugration
- Super Bowl Half-Time Show
- Life Is But A Dream
- Oprah Special on OWN
- Pepsi Sponsorship with High-profile Campaign
- H&M Sponsorship with High-profile Campaign

And she got every single of them off of her name alone, and off of her own managerial ambition. Bitch can get gigs if she wants gigs. However when she gets all these balls in the air she doesn't know what to do with them. She placed one her largest all-time tours smack-dab in the CENTER of the calendar year, cutting her promotional availability and general mainstream access by 75% at least.

That tour was not meant to carry 4. It was meant to carry her fifth album "Mrs. Carter," an album that she couldn't figure out how to brand and position because she's not CREATIVE enough to have a mind of her own in the studio. She's just not. She may be wiser and more referential than someone like Rihanna (not to mention more musically oriented with a better eye for chords and tone), but the difference is that Rihanna has been put in RESPONSIBLE hands. Beyonce's out on her own for no goddamn reason other than her insisting that she's independent enough to take on the creative vision but she's just not. I understand her not wanting to be a voiceless prop for her own team's vision (see Rihanna), but for someone with as large an empire and a voice as hers, she needs someone to help direct it.

She's at her best when she's crafting a concert tour. She's a VISUAL perfectionist and nothing requires more visual expertise than making sure a concert moves and works perfectly. She'd be a great director honestly because she has a great understanding of iconography and hitting every visual and musical queue on stage. That's her CRAFT.

.... But in the studio she doesn't get to use her visual perfectionism, and with nobody at her side helping her hone in on her vision she comes up with songs that don't really hold much water on their own (Standing On the Sun for example). I think with 4 she had enough influences and helping hands (even Jay-Z accompanied her a lot during studio sessions) and that record is honestly a once-in-a-lifetime gem. With Mrs. Carter I think she distanced herself even more from her home base and because of it she got flustered. When you eventually scrap 50+ songs that were auditoning from various high-profile songwriters and producers, it shows that you're having trouble figuring out where you want to go next. No creative direction on her own.

She needs a manager. She can easily comprise a smart, business-savvy team like Rihanna if she wanted to... hell she could just BUY a smart team if she wanted. It's interesting how with all these delays and sabaticals, she hasn't lost any of her social capital or relevance. People really miss her, and she's not taking advantage of that in a smart way.

At least she's not sitting on her ass eating bon bons like Christina is; she's working hard and she's making serious bank off her tour. She's the hardest working woman in pop right now... she just needs a manager that can position all that hard work in a way that maximizes its effectiveness. There should have been a single in April, massive promo through the spring, a second single in June, an album in July and a Mrs Carter World Tour starting in November.

Yado

The problem came around when she decided to become her own boss. For all of her talents (and honestly, wisdom about the industry), she's not CREATIVELY DRIVEN enough to manage her own name. Her own team is at her constant beck and call and while I respect that she runs the show, the gears start getting clogged a bit when you're juggling 20 different balls and you're constantly dropping them one by one.

She's at her best when she's crafting a concert tour. She's a VISUAL perfectionist and nothing requires more visual expertise than making sure a concert moves and works perfectly. She'd be a great director honestly because she has a great understanding of iconography and hitting every visual and musical queue on stage. That's her CRAFT.

.... But in the studio she doesn't get to use her visual perfectionism, and with nobody at her side helping her hone in on her vision she comes up with songs that don't really hold much water on their own (Standing On the Sun for example). I think with 4 she had enough influences and helping hands (even Jay-Z accompanied her a lot during studio sessions) and that record is honestly a once-in-a-lifetime gem. With Mrs. Carter I think she distanced herself even more from her home base and because of it she got flustered. When you eventually scrap 50+ songs that were auditoning from various high-profile songwriters and producers, it shows that you're having trouble figuring out where you want to go next. No creative direction on her own.

She needs a manager.

What a perfect post. I was going to say this in a much more succint way. lol
Beyonce simply doesn't have the vision to helm her creative direction. I HATE her team, I liked 4 but everything about it lacked cohesiveness, from the songs to her looks to the videos...it was just a hodgepodge of ideas and I can see the same thing happening with her next album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom