• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just give me a reason, just a little bit's enough. Just a second we're not broken just bent and we can learn to love again

Trigger

This kiss, is something I can't resist.

Her power

EgJTv.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Wait, how have I been sleeping on Saint Etienne?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSuxnF8dOPU
I fucking live. This is some top grade early 90s chill dance pop.

oh, their influence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ukJb_Sri8I

edit: Glorious
edi2: Simply glorious (that's not me at 2:38 I swear)

Yaaaaassss. They've got a stellar catalog of tunes, and I'm guessing you may not have been part of popgaf back when I was trying to convince errbody to listen to Words and Music last year?

Do you stan Alphabeat, as well? Not nearly as prolific, but quite good and often have a similar sound to Saint Etienne. Shame about their latest, tho

Oh dear, I haven't heard the name Alphabeat in a while. Their self-titled album was such an embarrassingly cute sugar rush; I wore it out. So their second album isn't as good?
ibifWFQjOBe2qp.gif

I knew she wasn't gonna make it out this year.

Here's the thing with Beyonce. She fired her father because she was overworked, tired, and was uncomfortable by the blurred lines between business and family. I totally get that, and I think her dumping Matthew was one of the boldest choices a pop star has had to make at their PEAK. After that she decided to distance herself from Jay-Z's helping hand and even deliberately REFUSED to have him appear on her album so as to not appear dependent on his magic touch. Again, it's a commendable decision to make especially when you've worked with him for SO long in the past.

The problem came around when she decided to become her own boss. For all of her talents (and honestly, wisdom about the industry), she's not CREATIVELY DRIVEN enough to manage her own name. Her own team is at her constant beck and call and while I respect that she runs the show, the gears start getting clogged a bit when you're juggling 20 different balls and you're constantly dropping them one by one.

She overclocked her 2013 schedule to the point where each individual undertaking UNDERMINDED the other. She managed to book SIX high-profile events for the year:

- 2013 Inaugration
- Super Bowl Half-Time Show
- Life Is But A Dream
- Oprah Special on OWN
- Pepsi Sponsorship with High-profile Campaign
- H&M Sponsorship with High-profile Campaign

And she got every single of them off of her name alone, and off of her own managerial ambition. Bitch can get gigs if she wants gigs. However when she gets all these balls in the air she doesn't know what to do with them. She placed one her largest all-time tours smack-dab in the CENTER of the calendar year, cutting her promotional availability and general mainstream access by 75% at least.

That tour was not meant to carry 4. It was meant to carry her fifth album "Mrs. Carter," an album that she couldn't figure out how to brand and position because she's not CREATIVE enough to have a mind of her own in the studio. She's just not. She may be wiser and more referential than someone like Rihanna (not to mention more musically oriented with a better eye for chords and tone), but the difference is that Rihanna has been put in RESPONSIBLE hands. Beyonce's out on her own for no goddamn reason other than her insisting that she's independent enough to take on the creative vision but she's just not. I understand her not wanting to be a voiceless prop for her own team's vision (see Rihanna), but for someone with as large an empire and a voice as hers, she needs someone to help direct it.

She's at her best when she's crafting a concert tour. She's a VISUAL perfectionist and nothing requires more visual expertise than making sure a concert moves and works perfectly. She'd be a great director honestly because she has a great understanding of iconography and hitting every visual and musical queue on stage. That's her CRAFT.

.... But in the studio she doesn't get to use her visual perfectionism, and with nobody at her side helping her hone in on her vision she comes up with songs that don't really hold much water on their own (Standing On the Sun for example). I think with 4 she had enough influences and helping hands (even Jay-Z accompanied her a lot during studio sessions) and that record is honestly a once-in-a-lifetime gem. With Mrs. Carter I think she distanced herself even more from her home base and because of it she got flustered. When you eventually scrap 50+ songs that were auditoning from various high-profile songwriters and producers, it shows that you're having trouble figuring out where you want to go next. No creative direction on her own.

She needs a manager. She can easily comprise a smart, business-savvy team like Rihanna if she wanted to... hell she could just BUY a smart team if she wanted. It's interesting how with all these delays and sabaticals, she hasn't lost any of her social capital or relevance. People really miss her, and she's not taking advantage of that in a smart way.

At least she's not sitting on her ass eating bon bons like Christina is; she's working hard and she's making serious bank off her tour. She's the hardest working woman in pop right now... she just needs a manager that can position all that hard work in a way that maximizes its effectiveness. There should have been a single in April, massive promo through the spring, a second single in June, an album in July and a Mrs Carter World Tour starting in November.
Agreed.
Fiona Apple directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
Hot Knife.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

royalan

That Beyonce article is pure PR bullshit.

First off, that Bey tossed 50 tracks means nothing. She always does that. It's part of her process. Fans of Bey know that she always records/accepts a shit ton of demos for her albums. She recorded over 70 tracks for B'day alone. So Beyonce would have been tossing 50 tracks good or bad. So I'm sticking to my earlier tea: the material got tossed because the material was certified wack. End of.

As for Soul-sis' tea. I agree with everything except the role Matthew played in her success. I don't think he was the creative mind at all, and in fact I don't think he and his team are worth shit--as evidenced by the fact that Beyonce remains his ONE successful act out of the dozens he's signed since DC. Besides, it's not like any of her albums have ever been super conceptual or anything (I mean, she's no Christina who, for all her bon bons, exhibits more creative artistry in-studio than Beyonce on her best day and actually CAN put out a concept album, so stay hatin). No, the thing Matthew provided was pressure. If he were her manager still he would have told her ass 6 months ago to put the Popeyes down, pick 15 tracks, and get the goddamn era started already. Matthew applied the pressure that kept her focused.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
We Cant Stop peaks at #2 and thats the end of its climb since Blurred Lines wont weaken anytime soon

still impressive for her comeback single
iblAG8WKV5bQ5k.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Bladenic

All the while radio plays it COMPLETE DUST.

Who gives a fuck, radio doesn't mean money, while iTunes and streams do. It's a smash hit, and she outpeaked Demon and The Immigrant. Radio is only hatin cuz like most of the hypocritical haters they weren't ready for her new image and era. They can all remain pressed at her success.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
My fellow immigrant needs to release Forget Forever or Write Your Name as singles.

YASSS
Or Birthday or Undercover

Her two single choices are some of the weakest tracks on the album imo

Ooooh, that new Annie song is some early 90s rave shit.

tYZVvuX.gif

What are the other new tracks from her that were mentioned earlier (by Cosmic I believe).

I know of Take a Look at the World, and Tube Stops and Lonely Hearts.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Who gives a fuck, radio doesn't mean money, while iTunes and streams do. It's a smash hit, and she outpeaked Demon and The Immigrant. Radio is only hatin cuz like most of the hypocritical haters they weren't ready for her new image and era. They can all remain pressed at her success.

right? Billboard is doing something right if a song can go to #2 with very little radio spins

i7zmPSrZZvzH8.gif

Mau ®

Rihanna's most-likely-new-single "What Now" is #83(+12) on French Charts.

She's coming for another "Man Down" monster hit there!! :p (biggest hit of 2011 there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom