• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
She was so pretty and nice in person, made sure everyone got a brownie and asked if anyone was diabetic first.

iQ9LxsNk2L1hD.gif

This is exactly how I imagine Katy Perry to be tbh

With all these
dream-based
acts of kindness she's almost made up for Ur So Gay
iuEzE3lqqWmJr.png

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh godel, have you heard this song about recently? I've been hearing it like 4 times a day on the radio and can't decide whether it's great or shit
The video is, err, certainly something

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 7m
The Russian government is criminal. Oppression will be met with revolution. Russian LGBTs you are not alone. We will fight for your freedom.

Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 2m
Why didn't you arrest me when you had the chance, Russia? Because you didn't want answer to the world?

DRAG THEM

royalan

I am getting so fucking sick of hearing about Russia. Shut up Gaga, Dan Savage, and every other opportunistic fuckwit making this their platform.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh godel, have you heard this song about recently? I've been hearing it like 4 times a day on the radio and can't decide whether it's great or shit
The video is, err, certainly something

I haven't heard this!

I can't decide whether it's great or shit either.

The video though, :biblio:

Trigger

I am getting so fucking sick about hearing about Russia. Shut up Gaga, Dan Savage, and every other opportunistic fuckwit making this their platform.

If they don't speak up about it then who will? I can understand the pandering complaints about BTW (even if i don't agRih), but in a situation like this celebrities speaking out can only hope help the matter.

Matt_

I am getting so fucking sick of hearing about Russia. Shut up Gaga, Dan Savage, and every other opportunistic fuckwit making this their platform.

Yes shame on all these people that are calling out countries that breach human rights, and shame on Gaga for being annoyed that she may be wanted by the Russian government,

You should notify Amnesty International and tell them to stop pandering to people with an emotional soft spot.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I can kind of almost see the Gaga thing here, if you sincerely believe that she's primarily doing it for her own PR but Dan Savage? Isn't he basically one of the most prolific LGBT activists around at the moment? I don't see what you're accusing him of.

Nemesis_

Roy just wanted to pretend that Gaga hasn't got him steam pressed so he threw someone else in there to deflect his pressed nature.

I mean if his fave dragged her ass out of her sty to her keyboard and tweeted herself with clown make up and some ratchet McDonalds Happy Meal toy fan declaring her disdain for the Russia situation he would be all over it.

I'm not convinced that's Gaga tweeting anyway, she's been weird since her "return"

royalan

Oh don't come for me.

I'm tired of Russia being treated like the new "In" platform that nobody will REALLY give a shit about other than as a talking point at bars to look like they're progressive and current.

I'm tired of fuckers like Dan Savage and his goddamn "Dump Stoli" campaign which misses the point entirely.

And, worst of all, I'm tired of this conversation being centered around Russia while ignoring the African counties, Caribbean countries, and countries in the Middle East where gays have been hunted, beaten, imprisoned and killed for, well, ever. I hate how this conversation is being focused on Russia, despite homosexual persecution being a GLOBAL problem -- it's like nobody was even aware, like nobody even cared until Russia. And why? Because the gays being persecuted in all those other counties are Brown.

Oh don't come for me.

I'm tired of Russia being treated like the new "In" platform that nobody will REALLY give a shit about other than as a talking point at bars to look like they're progressive and current.

I'm tired of fuckers like Dan Savage and his goddamn "Dump Stoli" campaign which misses the point entirely.

And, worst of all, I'm tired of this conversation being centered around Russia while ignoring the African counties, Caribbean countries, and countries in the Middle East where gays have been hunted, beaten, imprisoned and killed for, well, ever. I hate how this conversation is being focused on Russia, despite homosexual persecution being a GLOBAL problem -- it's like nobody was even aware, like nobody even cared until Russia. And why? Because the gays being persecuted in all those other counties are Brown.
It has nothing to do with skin color. Even more depressingly, I suppose, it's just about the fact that the Winter Olympics are taking place there next year.

Sort of like how China's epic pollution problem suddenly disappeared once American tourists had no reason to be there anymore.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
It has nothing to do with skin color. Even more depressingly, I suppose, it's just about the fact that the Winter Olympics are taking place there next year.

Sort of like how China's epic pollution problem suddenly disappeared once American tourists had no reason to be there anymore.
That and the charges that were brought up against Gaga and Madonna that were posted in the last page, that's why Gaga is speaking out. She will probably not be able to tour there anytime soon

But I'm laughing at the reach tho, lmao

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh don't come for me.

Were you asleep during the whole Ugandan homosexuality laws thing?

Bladenic

HAIM announced their debut for September 30th:

HAIM-Days-Are-Gone.jpg

1. Falling
2. Forever
3. The Wire
4. If I Could Change Your Mind
5. Honey & I
6. Don’t Save Me
7. Days Are Gone
8. My Song 5
9. Go Slow
10. Let Me Go
11. Running If You Call My Name

Just as I expected, we've already had six of the tracks online for varying amounts of time, so this won't be as phresh as I wanted, but at least they're all GOOD songs.

Screaming. They are coming.

royalan

That and the charges that were brought up against Gaga and Madonna that were posted in the last page, that's why Gaga is speaking out. She will probably not be able to tour there anytime soon

But I'm laughing at the reach tho, lmao

Were you asleep during the whole Ugandan homosexuality laws thing?

I'm not just talking about Gaga. I'm talking about my FB feed being littered with "DUMP STOLI" and "What are we going to do about Russia?" as though homosexual persecution isn't a global problem.

I'm not just talking about Gaga. I'm talking about my FB feed being littered with "DUMP STOLI" and "What are we going to do about Russia?" as though homosexual persecution isn't a global problem.

1) Russia's been getting a lot of press NOT because their people are white, but because they're by far the most progressive country in the world to have such an outlandish platform on homosexuality. It'd be like Germany or Switzerland having homophobic policies. It caught everyone by surprise because it went against our understanding of where the country was on the political spectrum.

2) Uganda has gotten by far the most social media press as far as gay persecution is concerned, not to mention Iraq and Saudi Arabia for their numerous "death sentence" trials with those outed gay teens. I have a hard time humoring the idea that we're giving Russia more press than others because the persecuted are white and not brown. I feel like 99% of the people complaining about gay disenfranchisement don't really see color.

3) And yes, gay persecution is worldwide and doesn't start and stop in Russia. But talking about Russia doesn't automatically mean that everyone's assuming it's happening nowhere else. I'd rather we talk about Russia than no country at all, if that were the alternative.

royalan

1) Russia's been getting a lot of press NOT because their people are white, but because they're by far the most progressive country in the world to have such an outlandish platform on homosexuality. It'd be like Germany or Switzerland having homophobic policies. It caught everyone by surprise because it went against our understanding of where the country was on the political spectrum.

2) Uganda has gotten by far the most social media press as far as gay persecution is concerned, not to mention Iraq and Saudi Arabia for their numerous "death sentence" trials with those outed gay teens. I have a hard time humoring the idea that we're giving Russia more press than others because the persecuted are white and not brown. I feel like 99% of the people complaining about gay disenfranchisement don't really see color.

3) And yes, gay persecution is worldwide and doesn't start and stop in Russia. But talking about Russia doesn't automatically mean that everyone's assuming it's happening nowhere else. I'd rather we talk about Russia than no country at all, if that were the alternative.

You do realize that your 3rd point conflicts with your 2nd, right?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Well, I think attention is on Russia right now because they're hosting a global event which stands to make a lot of money, and that is nominally a global leader. As I said though, I recall not-insignificant outcry when Uganda put in place its anti-homosexuality laws a couple of years ago. I don't think it's because of the colour of their skin so much as the fact that Uganda doesn't have the world's attention right now.

I don't disagree that to some extent people latch onto these things because they're faddish or fashionable. I think the same thing happened with marriage equality in the USA, where at the same time a law was a marriage equality bill passing through UK parliament that virtually nobody, even my UK friends, seemed to care about even though it had a direct impact on their friends and families and some pretty important people in the UK were saying some pretty nasty things about gay rights.

I know the feeling, but I sometimes think even in my own case that it feels a bit like cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this. I think that perhaps people assumed that Russia was quite liberal, but I don't think it's true. I mean look at Pussy Riot too.

royalan

Well, I think attention is on Russia right now because they're hosting a global event which stands to make a lot of money, and that is nominally a global leader. As I said though, I recall not-insignificant outcry when Uganda put in place its anti-homosexuality laws a couple of years ago. I don't think it's because of the colour of their skin so much as the fact that Uganda doesn't have the world's attention right now.

I don't disagree that to some extent people latch onto these things because they're faddish or fashionable. I think the same thing happened with marriage equality in the USA, where at the same time a law was a marriage equality bill passing through UK parliament that virtually nobody, even my UK friends, seemed to care about even though it had a direct impact on their friends and families and some pretty important people in the UK were saying some pretty nasty things about gay rights.

I know the feeling, but I sometimes think even in my own case that it feels a bit like cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Look at this, me agreeing with you and being swayed by your point of view.

I think it's the fad nature of this that's bothering, not the idea that Russia isn't worthy of having it's human rights "hiccups" put in the spotlight. It's especially annoying because, like with most fads, it likely won't amount to any real change.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Look at this, me agreeing with you and being swayed by your point of view.

I think it's the fad nature of this that's bothering, not the idea that Russia isn't worthy of having it's human rights "hiccups" put in the spotlight. It's especially annoying because, like with most fads, it likely won't amount to any real change.

Well no, I don't think it will either. But I'm not sure that the idea of the BOYCOTT STOLI thing is to change Russia à la economic sanctions, instead of just to stop supporting a country that has policies that people disagree with.

Like I said though I don't disagree that it's frustrating to see people jump on board with this kind of thing only to drop it like a hot potato a couple of months later, treating it like the need to be seen to be supporting the good cause is more important than the cause itself.

You do realize that your 3rd point conflicts with your 2nd, right?

There's no conflict. I'm providing three counterpoints to your argument and they're not all mutually exclusive.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with "facebook protest" which makes it convenient for people to voice their concern but not really providing any proactive help to the situation. If that's the case, then it shouldn't matter which country takes the brunt of the press. And the reason Gaga is valid in fighting back was because she was evidently "law breaking" which could have led to an arrest. She has a right to comment on it given that her situation lends itself to commentary.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Maybe you should try writing a song
iuEzE3lqqWmJr.png

Always hiding on the closet
He likes the sausage
but he cant say say say
Even on this day and age

Baby come out to play
I know you wanna get laid
You aint fooling anyone anyway
Come or take the shade

Already better and on my first try

Always hiding on the closet
He likes the sausage
but he cant say say say
Even on this day and age

Baby come out to play
I know you wanna get laid
You aint fooling anyone anyway
Come or take the shade

Already better and on my first try

lol, what

How do you hide on a closet?

royalan

Well no, I don't think it will either. But I'm not sure that the idea of the BOYCOTT STOLI thing is to change Russia à la economic sanctions, instead of just to stop supporting a country that has policies that people disagree with.

Like I said though I don't disagree that it's frustrating to see people jump on board with this kind of thing only to drop it like a hot potato a couple of months later, treating it like the need to be seen to be supporting the good cause is more important than the cause itself.

I'm still on the fence on how sensible it is to boycott the product of a company that has been especially supportive of the LGBT community in the US and elsewhere but completely unable to bring about any real change in Russia. But I suppose that's the debate right now.

There's no conflict. I'm providing three counterpoints to your argument and they're not all mutually exclusive.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with "facebook protest" which makes it convenient for people to voice their concern but not really providing any proactive help to the situation. If that's the case, then it shouldn't matter which country takes the brunt of the press. And the reason Gaga is valid in fighting back was because she was evidently "law breaking" which could have led to an arrest. She has a right to comment on it given that her situation lends itself to commentary.

Personally, I think that in an ideal world no one country would be getting the brunt of the press for what is actually a global problem, and a lot worse elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom