• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
huh? I thought they increased radio's weight in the formula around August last year.

Nope.

(These are rough numbers. At school right now so I don't have access to the exact numbers.)

It used to be 50% downloads, 40% radio, 10% streams.

They changed it to 40-50% Downloads, 25-35% Radio 15-25% streams(including youtube).

cory64

No.

(These are rough numbers. At school right now so I don't have access to the exact numbers.)

It used to be 50% downloads, 40% radio, 10% streams.

They changed it to 40-50% Downloads, 25-35% Radio 15-25% streams(including youtube).

It's (Downloads ÷ 12) + (Radio Audience ÷ 7500) + (Streaming (YT + On Demand) ÷ 450)

The average big sales week will be bigger than the average big radio audience, but a big streaming week will be the biggest component.

xaosslug

I wouldn't count on it.

It will certainly be hard to top him, but radio is a much smaller part of the equation than it used to be.

If Gaga's music video pulls in enough streams, and she outsells him by at least 250k she could pull it off.

all you have to do is look at Rihanna's people. They are geniuses w/ this stuff, and they are waiting about a month until BL starts to (hopefully) die down b4 they even TRY it. I mean LBR, if BL wasn't owning souls left, right and centre right now (and for the foreseeable future!), Rihanna would def. enter the frey with Katz and Gags...

i think Gaga and Katy are both gonna get ownzord by BL, just like everyone else has. #truthfacTtea:-/

It's (Downloads ÷ 12) + (Radio Audience ÷ 7500) + (Streaming (YT + On Demand) ÷ 450)

The average big sales week will be bigger than the average big radio audience, but a big streaming week will be the biggest component.

We never got a 100% confirmation on the equation.

The thing is that Billboard does not use Mediabase for its radio AI (which is what we have access to), and they rarely release the raw numbers so there is no way to determine exactly what their formula for it is, or for us to calculate it exactly. Their formula is based on a "typical" week, and we have no idea what their typical week is, and it is completely possible that they have adjusted the formula slightly since then. They only announce when they do major revamps.

Streaming, in theory, should have the most influence on big weeks. However, since Harlem shake NO song has really been significantly impacted by high streaming numbers outside of 1D and Miley. Even then it was not enough to push them to #1, and I have a very hard time seeing Gaga beating their numbers.

It is balanced by two factors.

1. Youtube views are very frontloaded.
2. On demand streaming is backloaded.

When added together streaming has turned out to be very stable. Much more stable than sales, if not quite as stable as radio.

cory64

No I've calculated it based on the numbers they give in their H100 writeups and the placements were perfect (and they wouldn't have been with even a 1% difference in some cases).

No I've calculated it based on the numbers they give in their H100 writeups and the placements were perfect (and they wouldn't have been with even a 1% difference in some cases).

Either way. Billboard specifically stated those %'s as their goal for the new formula.

The two don't necessarily conflict.

I'm surprised at mostly all the mainstream hype going on. In particular, for me, I'm happy for KP even though I don't like Roar and I'm happy for LG though I kind of don't like Applause.. Not more than I like Aura (that could change when the new song comes out) but I guess I'm not into chart toppers.

They have millions sometimes, mindless fans who continuously give them too much credit for half the work when there's others out there who put out 110% and never get the same praises. Maybe it me but I don't care to much for either song to slay.. I need some of the people who are working their behind off to get on a chart because everyone is too obsessed with generic pop to get up there.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Katy Perry - Roar 1.0000
Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines (feat. T.I. & Pharrell) 0.7623

welp

66975189ba8279d572443095o2.gif

Have you not seen Lorde's chart performance Aya?

Nope not yet but she's just one person. I'm kind of tired of the same KP, Rihanna, 1D, TS, etc chart topping. It's like they stop trying and it sucks. You can hear it. We all know Roar could of been something much more than it is but I find it to be safe and carried on by fans. It's not that great of a song.

I don't know of anyone seen my post in the Katy Perry thread but though I like the mainstream pop.. I'm more into the abstract pop. It's just different and more fulfilling. There's effort put into those songs that I can't get now these days. Now that you mention that.. I'm bought to listen to some Lorde ayyyye.

Kyon

Banned
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHERE ARE THE CULT MEMBERS FROM EARLIER SAYING THIS WAS STRUGGLING FOR THAT ITUNES PLACEMENT?

botty

Banned
Nope not yet but she's just one person. I'm kind of tired of the same KP, Rihanna, 1D, TS, etc chart topping. It's like they stop trying and it sucks. You can hear it. We all know Roar could of been something much more than it is but I find it to be safe and carried on by fans. It's not that great of a song.

I don't know of anyone seen my post in the Katy Perry thread but though I like the mainstream pop.. I'm more into the abstract pop. It's just different and more fulfilling. There's effort put into those songs that I can't get now these days. Now that you mention that.. I'm bought to listen to some Lorde ayyyye.

The Lorde has Tennis Court and Ribs now. She's the shit, tbh.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Stefan™;75992587 said:
OMG, GAGS MIGHT BE RELEASING THE SINGLE TODAY.

PRAY FOR KATY

At this point you should consider making a deal with the devil with your firstborn for Gaga not just praying

Kyon

Banned
Stefan™;75992587 said:
OMG, GAGS MIGHT BE RELEASING THE SINGLE TODAY.

PRAY FOR KATY

AHAHAHAHAHA Pray for Katy? Honey you mean the other way around. Katy is CLOCKING radio updates rn. Gaga is not. If she releases today she's done.

AHAHAHAHAHA Pray for Katy? Honey you mean the other way around. Katy is CLOCKING radio updates rn. Gaga is not. If she releases today she's done.

Mhm.

Gaga would have to release the music video as well. Meaning she would lose a full day of streaming AND sales. Plus it would take her 24 hours to pass Katy for #1 itunes exposure since it is a rolling chart.

I am also not sure you can strike up radio deals on the fly. If not it would give Katy another big advantage.

Nemesis_

idgi is gaga really salty that roar is slaying?

There are two ways to look at it really.

1.) The track has leaked in full to some people, Gaga's team have acknowledged this and they're deciding to rush release the song to counterract the leak of the song.

or the conspiracy theorists version

2.) Gaga's team have been leaking the snippets slowly and purposely planned to release this song on the same day as Roar ever since Katy announced the release date.

The only tangible evidence for viewpoint #2 is that previously Gaga has announced stuff on days where other pop girls are doing stuff elsewhere, if that makes sense.

You might also say that the fact that the full track is OUT THERE and yet NOBODY (apparently) has it might also point to a controlled leak.

I dunno, the last time I thought Gaga wasn't taking the whole popstar thing too seriously she released Born This Way.

I agrih. I am probably overstating how much she cares about sales.

After all that .99c sale for BTW obviously had nothing to do with artificially inflating her chart position.

Styles

Apparently she deleted the 8.19 tweets.

And did she have a twitter pic before today? Or has it been an egg this whole time?

Nemesis_

Stefan™;75995511 said:

And did she have a twitter pic before today? Or has it been an egg this whole time?

She went back to an egg within the last hour or two.

EDIT: AND SHE LOGGED INTO HER VEVO ACCOUNT FIVE MINUTES AGO

Stefan™;75995511 said:

This is so messy.

If she really releases early a certain site will be down for days.....

royalan

In light of Katy snatching every bit of Virgin Remy and Malaysian weave in the building, I just want to point out something I said way back on 6/4/2013:

You know what? I never thought I'd say this, but...

I kinda WANT Katy Perry to come out and SMASH now.

Just to teach these hoes a lesson about taking shit for granted.

I want Katy Perry to start her era in the Summer, just like she's been hinting at, and SNATCH EVERY GODDAMN PROCRASTINATING WIG IN THE BUILDING.

Because I can't believe that it's fucking JUNE and the only notable release we've had thus far is fucking JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE.

Because it don't make no goddamn SENSE for ALL these AAA acts to have CONFIRMED 2013 albums, but everyone is holding their shit until the end of the year.

Because WHY wouldn't you want to release your album when there is virtually ZERO competition? This isn't the video game industry. People WILL buy albums in the beginning of the year. But all these hoes are so obsessed with Holiday sales they wanna wait until EVERYONE else is dropping an album and there's competition at EVERY TURN.

Not a goddamn shred of sense.

At this point it's really looking like Katy's going to be the first diva at bat this year. And, if that's the case, I hope she drags all these LATE TROLLOPS across the coals.

She caught these hoes sleeping once already. SHE'LL DO IT AGAIN.

ibu7p0Ot83N18J.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom