• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Wait.

I haven't been following this season very closely. Was she REALLY a background singer for The Queen?

I knew there was a reason I liked Sasha.

I only watched the first episode. I only give my rating to the Queen.
c3ed7b23.gif

royalan

Bad Romance is revered because it's the first time her sound was on par with her image, prior to that her aesthetic was slaying but her music was subpar.

Excuse you?

Early Gaga was a harmonious vision of New York Bohemia/Disco Club Queen/Plastics/Radio Crack REALNESS. She was a complete package. The real deal. That's why she took off in the first place.

It wasn't until Paparazzi that she started nosediving into weird and things started to go south, but then the Bad Romance video happened.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I know we have our fun here on popgaf, and we like to throw shade at each other like there is no tomorrow, but what do you all think of about us using what has traditionally been black and latino gay lingo, and overall slang from the black and other underprivileged communities." Since its such a big part of our community as our daily Xtina dragging i'm curious what you all think?

Yado

Excuse you?

Early Gaga was a harmonious vision of New York Bohemia/Disco Club Queen/Plastics/Radio Crack REALNESS. She was a complete package. The real deal. A complete package. That's why she took off in the first place.

It wasn't until Paparazzi that she started nosediving into weird that things started to go south, and the the Bad Romance video happened.

Paparazzi was the beginning of great things. Her output wasn't on the same level as what she represented (someone who would shake things up). The fame is rife with throwaway B-tier songs.

royalan

I know we have our fun here on popgaf, and we like to throw shade at each other like there is no tomorrow, but what do you all think of about us using what has traditionally been black and latino gay lingo, and overall slang from the black and other underprivileged communities." Since its such a big part of our community as our daily Xtina dragging i'm curious what you all think?

I think it's a beautiful thing, actually. I love that the world is adopting "shade-speak" (I really wish there was a better term for it) and, more importantly, that the world seems to be acknowledging where it came from.

Kyon

Banned

its ARTPOP.

The nerds on this forum have been adapting and using the lingo too even though for the longest times they would try to drag us for it.

#ImpacT

botty

Banned

You realize this describes 90% of stans, right?

priceless.gif

Trigger

Well, I am black and bisexual so I talk this way in real life most days. I've never had an issue with our lingo tbh. If anything it's kinda refreshing to be as informal as we are here. I spend enough time in class worrying about grammar, lol. I get annoyed when some Gaffers equate our lingo with teen girls tho.

Vazra

I asked that question since there are people outside of popgaf that were finding it offensive or like we were mocking them and I wanted to prove that most guys here are mostly gay/bi blacks and latinos.

Its understandable to get things mixed afterall our avatars do not represent us in that way and overall I wanted to show that with more than just my pov. I think its a great thing to talk about this and maybe make ourselves more clear with this chats.

Kyon

Banned
I asked that question since there are people outside of popgaf that were finding it offensive or like we were mocking them and I wanted to prove that most guys here are mostly gay/bi blacks and latinos.

Its understandable to get things mixed afterall our avatars do not represent us in that way and overall I wanted to show that with more than just my pov. I think its a great thing to talk about this and maybe make ourselves more clear with this chats.

i am gay Latino/black(if you wanna get technical about race). Also dont know why you care about what those lessors think. They have been talking the lingo for a few months now. Hypocrites

Bladenic

Marius do you abhor Hair? It was completely absent from the ranking unless I overlooked it. Too bad, I like Hair despite its cheesiness.

botty

Banned

Are you saying what I do is the equivalent of black face, except for gay people? Are you saying I take part in gay face, pupi?

Vazra

Are you saying what I do is the equivalent of black face, except for gay people? Are you saying I take part in gay face, pupi?
Nop I think its mostly adaptation and partly part of this community actually being part of that group that might have been misunderstanding.

i am gay Latino/black(if you wanna get technical about race). Also dont know why you care about what those lessors think. They have been talking the lingo for a few months now. Hypocrites

Some are black and gay sis the thing is some though we were white and straight stealing words of black and gay latinos and I like to educate people in order to not make false acusations on the future. Also as mentioned before some parts are adaptating to it.

Excuse you?

Early Gaga was a harmonious vision of New York Bohemia/Disco Club Queen/Plastics/Radio Crack REALNESS. She was a complete package. The real deal. That's why she took off in the first place.

It wasn't until Paparazzi that she started nosediving into weird and things started to go south, but then the Bad Romance video happened.

She was a cheap version of what you're describing. Her image was fully realized but her music was horribly lagging behind it. The Fame was too calculated to be considered New York Bohemia, and the songs on there were too commercially dependent to be anything more than radio fodder. Poker Face is probably the only song on The Fame that can be considered smart. Paparazzi is catchy as hell but the lyrics are just descriptive, not editorial.

The monster era had the songs finally starting to catch up to her avant garde presentation, but the singles she chose were being released around the time she started flirting with political culture, and because of that there wasn't enough OOMPH (at least to me) for those songs to really hit a proper niche.

With Born This Way her material became editorial like her imagery (except for Born This Way, which was a case of "literal saturation" to the point where it distracted), but the problem seemed to be that her entire focus was way too, well, focused. The Monster era gave way to more flexibility in her presentation whereas her images during the BTW era all stemmed from one very specific mantra.

I happened to think that mantra was the most profound and intelligent of her career, but I think the investment she put into streamlining it for a VMA audience killed its spark. I think out of the three albums of hers, Born This Way best represents her as an artist. Monster veered too close to safe, and the Fame was profoundly safe.

EDIT: Biiiiitch I knew a song was missing from BTW, lol

You know what my score is Mari. Add another 10 to dat stack. God the run up from songs 1 to 9 on Born This Way was such a fucking ride. <3

LadyGagaHair.jpg

This single cover still gives me life. Such a flawless homage to 80s house-rock. And the strongest instrumental on the whole damn album.

That's what drew me to popgaf, tbh. I missed hearing my B&L gay friends talk, and the gay thread was not scratching that itch.

royalan

She was a cheap version of what you're describing. Her image was fully realized but her music was horribly lagging behind it. The Fame was too calculated to be considered New York Bohemia, and the songs on there were too commercially dependent to be anything more than radio fodder. Poker Face is probably the only song on The Fame that can be considered smart. Paparazzi is catchy as hell but the lyrics are just descriptive, not editorial.

The monster era had the songs finally starting to catch up to her avant garde presentation, but the singles she chose were being released around the time she started flirting with political culture, and because of that there wasn't enough OOMPH (at least to me) for those songs to really hit a proper niche.

With Born This Way her material became editorial like her imagery (except for Born This Way, which was a case of "literal saturation" to the point where it distracted), but the problem seemed to be that her entire focus was way too, well, focused. The Monster era gave way to more flexibility in her presentation whereas her images during the BTW era all stemmed from one very specific mantra.

I happened to think that mantra was the most profound and intelligent of her career, but I think the investment she put into streamlining it for a VMA audience killed its spark. I think out of the three albums of hers, Born This Way best represents her as an artist. Monster veered too close to safe, and the Fame was profoundly safe.

EDIT: Biiiiitch I knew a song was missing from BTW, lol

You know what my score is Mari. Add another 10 to dat stack. God the run up from songs 1 to 9 on Born This Way was such a fucking ride. <3

I slightly disagree with the bolded. TF had some obvious radio hits, but I don't think the album itself was all that tailored for radio. Not with songs like "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" and "Money Honey."

Also, when I think of early Gaga visually I think of her Grace Jones era. I think that look fit perfectly with who she was at the start, back when she was still on the New York come-up track and not really known outside of the gay clubs. Back when could actually be referred to as a fashionista and not a circus freak. That look fit perfectly with her early sound. It wasn't until she started getting big that she turned up the dial on her visual style and left the music on the sidelines.

cory64

The album tracks were why I fell in love with Gaga in the first place, she seemed too cool to give a fuck and just had fun.

cory64

I think the video for "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" perfectly captures the visual and sonic cohesion that Gaga had early on. Unique, fresh, cheap, but still commercially viable.

This was what I felt was my first glimpse of the "real" Gaga, the epitome of her image, something that was toned down in the Just Dance and Poker Face videos, then manipulated in the other direction later on.

Government Hooker would like a word.

Meh. It does its job but it's hardly one of the more interesting ones on there.

If I could rank the instrumentals right now:

1) Hair
2) Fashion Of His Love
3) Bad Kids
4) The Edge of Glory
5) Scheiße
6) Marry The Night
7) Bloody Mary
8) Judas
9) Born This Way
10) Highway Unicorn
11) Electric Chapel
12) Government Hooker
13) Americano
14) Black Jesus + Amen Fashion
15) The Queen
16) You and I
17) Heavy Metal Lover

cory64

I came to win
Feel it coming in the air
To fight
Hear the screams from everywhere
To conquer
I'm addicted to the thrill
To thrive
It's a dangerous love affair
I came to win
Can’t be scared when it goes down
To survive
Got a problem tell me now
To prosper
Only thing that's on my mind
To rise
is who's gonna run this town tonight?
To flyyyyyyYYYYYyYYYyyyyYYYYyYYYYYYYYY

tumblr_m15qm2pjK11r1jgp0o2_500_large.gif

botty

Banned
Fly was a decent song when it was just Rihanna singing. Too bad the rest was Garbaj(e).

Hmm. I agRIH with this tbh.

------

Speaking of Nicki!

Miley just re-tweeted this:

Miley Cyrus Updates &#8207;@MileyRayShines 45m
Smilers and Barbz are trying to trend #WeCantStopRemixWithNicki! So tweet it! @NICKIMINAJ @MileyCyrus @TeamMileyNY @MileyxNewsx

I would be here for this!

ibufPDqipMxLHa.gif

MrDenny

Has this been posted yet?
Charice came out as a lesbian a few days ago.
For those who don't know who she is, she sang the theme song for Final Fantasy XIII-2, starred in Glee, and has perform with many u.s. artists and on talk shows.
She apologized to her family, I'm assuming her family is religious so it might have come as a shock.
Hopefully most of her fans and family will continue to support her.
On a side note, I think she looks better with long hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0LiCtv8phc
Charice-tomboy-e1370227869392.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I would be here for this!

ibufPDqipMxLHa.gif
6(<$|#>|fixdfghygstio where did you find this???
Has this been posted yet?
Charice came out as a lesbian a few days ago.
For those who don't know who she is, she sang the theme song for Final Fantasy XIII-2, starred in Glee, and has perform with many u.s. artists and on talk shows.
She apologized to her family, I'm assuming her family is religious so it might have come as a shock.
Hopefully most of her fans and family will continue to support her.
On a side note, I think she looks better with long hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0LiCtv8phc
Charice-tomboy-e1370227869392.jpg
Apologising to your family for being a lesbian :/

Nemesis_

6(<$|#>|fixdfghygstio where did you find this???

Apologising to your family for being a lesbian :/

Umm, that is Botty.

Marius you might as well make DESPAIR a ZERO if you were voting it

Serious score would be a 5

I'm still bitter than Rolling Stones hyped it up as a RedOne produced Nine Inch Nails-esque electronic song ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom