• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Just remember who did iconic chaps first:

iWLy4yi4j0t8u.gif
i4ScG7sUmArUX.gif
iWLy4yi4j0t8u.gif

You wanna hot body
You wanna Bugatti
You wanna Maserati
You better work bitch

You wanna Lamborghini
Sippin' martinis
Look hot in a bikini
You better work bitch

i4ScG7sUmArUX.gif

HiResDes

If you guys like Bjork, the new Glasser album "Interiors" is the closest thing to Vespertine era Bjork I've heard in the modern era.

Qazaq

Banned
There is a difference. It's called talent. :-/

Oh well duh, sure, but as much as I love Christina, I still feel like you're making some sort of irrelevant point. So it was different for Christina because she could have just continued selling songs based on her voice and her songs, but Rihanna and Miley shouldn't get credit because they're not good enough singers with good enough songs to have been successful without being sexual.

I don't know why you insist on clinging to a point that makes no sense and has nothing negative to do with Christina...

Mumei

why do you think miley is trying to be sexy? are you that oblivious?

Where does this idea come from that she's not? Has she said she's not? Or do you just assume she's not because she's so bad at it?

I don't get it. Explain it to me, please~

Bladenic

Where does this idea come from that she's not? Has she said she's not? Or do you just assume she's not because she's so bad at it?

She said she wasn't trying to be sexy multiple times. The haters keep trying.

Artemisia

Banned

She herself said as much. She explained that that the VMAs are historically an awards show where you're supposed to do something crazy and iconic, and that's what she did, didn't she?

Cynosure

so I was in the middle of making gifs of her pathetic dancing when I noticed this

around 1:23, you can see Knee with her group of dancers

gV84kn8.png

but then a few second after when they're all doing probably the hardest move in the whole video, of course she's no where in sight

f41xJS0.png

cackling.

Kyon

Banned
Wow you're delusional and OBSESSED with Britney I could NEVER be this passionate but you keep givin her the views so I can't be mad

Like literally ANALYZING EVERYTHING you're more of a Stan than any Army member

xaosslug

Oh well duh, sure, but as much as I love Christina, I still feel like you're making some sort of irrelevant point. So it was different for Christina because she could have just continued selling songs based on her voice and her songs, but Rihanna and Miley shouldn't get credit because they're not good enough singers with good enough songs to have been successful without being sexual.

I don't know why you insist on clinging to a point that makes no sense and has nothing negative to do with Christina...

and THAT is the (unintentional) #tea, sisters

ixu8tUQK4f6Oc.gif

She said she wasn't trying to be sexy multiple times. The haters keep trying.

i don't even. What else is she gonna say when everyone and their mothers come out after the fact and #clock exactly how unsexy she remains? I mean Wrecking Ball isn't supposed to be sexy? When she plays the 'down no ass chick' to a rapper in one of their music videos she's not supposed to be sexy?

stahp, y'all. You're showing ya own ass. -_-

this whole 'nother level' meta bs Triley peeps stay trying to peddle wrt what she's doing is such a transparent, reach for the stars mess.

Nemesis_

so I was in the middle of making gifs of her pathetic dancing when I noticed this

gV84kn8.png

but then a few second after when they're all doing probably the hardest move in the whole video, of course she's no where in sight

f41xJS0.png

cackling.

I thought it was fairly obvious that that's her induction charging pad she's standing on and since she's using the same battery pack since 1999 she had to step off when she was done or risk malfunctioning
again

Artemisia

Banned
This reads like a bad rearguard defense to me, but I guess if she's actually said so!

I can understand why you'd think that, but when you really look at the way she was performing that night, it all comes off as comical and over the top. Her facial expressions, the bear outfit, the way she was walking, the foam finger, etc. There are far more conventional things she could have done if she wanted to be seen as sexy (which she has done in her new era, check out some of her magazine photoshoots).

xaosslug

gV84kn8.png

f41xJS0.png

cackling.

she got in the car, sis
8JmMSYS.png

royalan

Well, besides the interviews she's given where she's confirmed the tongue-in-cheekness in what she's doing, it's easy to believe that Miley isn't trying to be sexy here because she knows what sexy looks like. She's been "sexy" before:

If Miley wanted to be pulling of sexy right now, it's not hard to imagine her calling up a standard glam-squad and getting your typical (read: boring) Hollywood once-over.

Instead, you see Miley on stage twerking with two obnoxious pigtails and a bikini that's in the shape of what looks like Mickey Mouse on drugs. Of course sexy isn't the goal here.

Anyway, regarding this Christina discussion...I don't want to appear as though I'm going against my fellow Sacred Sistren in Service of The One True Legend...but I do have to agree with those saying that what Christina did with Stripped and what Miley (and Rihanna) are doing, aren't fundamentally different things.

Now, I WILL say that Christina's "coming out" as a Bad Bitch was FAR more iconic because of the time that she did it, the fact that she blazed a clear trail, and because I DO believe that Christina had the MOST to lose career-wise so it was a much bigger risk for her to take. I mean, she was America's Sweetheart, being compared to Whitney and Mariah after just one album. The pressure to just keep doing what she was doing must have been substantial, and that's why I think Stripped as a complete era was just one of the ballsiest things any pop star has ever done. Her entire career could have gone up in smoke, and no female pop star to hit the scene since Christina and pull of a "good girl gone bad" transformation has had as much capital to lose as Christina did...and yet it paid off due to her sheer gumption.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I think I'm going to buy my first Katy song. Help.

Bowing @ Aguila *.*
Congratulations, Aguila! Your tag is well deserved. :)
<3

gV84kn8.png

f41xJS0.png

cackling.

Ha knee can only do so much
iLwIxXhzlL5Ew.png

And honestly I'd rather see Britney showing that she's trying than seeing whatever the fuck Christina was doing with that private show that was captured on Youtube... walking around the stage like a maternal (and pitchy) Patti LaBelle in heat. I'd like to see Christina show some fucking rehearsal during her performances. Both have been complacent but it's refreshing to see Britney at least retrieve a small fraction of that spark back.

This is weird for me too.

Mumei

I can understand why you'd think that, but when you really look at the way she was performing that night, it all comes off as comical and over the top. Her facial expressions, the bear outfit, the way she was walking, the foam finger, etc. There are far more conventional things she could have done if she wanted to be seen as sexy (which she has done in her new era, check out some of her magazine photoshoots).

Wait.

I thought you were saying she's not trying to be sexy at all, not "She was not trying to be sexy in this very specific situation." When I said I thought she was failing miserably, I wasn't talking about the VMAs; I was talking about that failure as a constant in her life.

And honestly I'd rather see Britney showing that she's trying than seeing whatever the fuck Christina was doing with that private show that was captured on Youtube... walking around the stage like a maternal (and pitchy) Patti LaBelle in heat. I'd like to see Christina show some fucking rehearsal during her performances. Both have been complacent but it's refreshing to see Britney at least retrieve a small fraction of that spark back.

Christina wishes she could sing like a pitchy Patti Labelle in heat.

Kyon

Banned

FINALLY. This is why the majority are good with the video.

Our girl is back and I'm happy. She can improve and get better from here ;__;

I'm so happy ;__;

royalan

*sigh*...

I don't care that Christina was pitchy. I care that she was having fun. I care that she's clearly recapturing her love for the stage. And I also love that the popular rumor surrounding these private shows lately is that she's getting back into the swing of things and preparing so she can bring us a REAL era.

I also don't care much that it took the second highest budget for a music video ever to make it look like Britney is "trying"...especially when she still couldn't "afford" to be in all the dance scenes. Britney looked cute in the video, but let's NOT try it going further than that.

Artemisia

Banned
Wait.

I thought you were saying she's not trying to be sexy at all, not "She was not trying to be sexy in this very specific situation." When I said I thought she was failing miserably, I wasn't talking about the VMAs; I was talking about that failure as a constant in her life.

o.

I was speaking specifically about the VMAs. There definitely have been many times in her new era where she has tried to present herself sexually, no argument there.

xaosslug

it's funny reading your interpretation of Christina's DC show, in hindsight of all your damage control/fawning all over Gaga's... er, akin-to-train-wreckage performances and espouse ha artistic sensibility. Kudos.

ibgCRWTthzEkZt.gif

I think I'm going to buy my first Katy song. Help.

As long as it's Bottoming on Air. The other two are vile.

Oh yeah, I dig this.

She's never gonna top Stars Are Blind, so she needs to stop tryin' it.

ixu8tUQK4f6Oc.gif

Kyon

Banned
Idek how this became another 1998 Xtina vs Knee convo but I'm so fucking over it and leaving.

Good fucking night

*sigh*...

I don't care that Christina was pitchy. I care that she was having fun. I care that she's clearly recapturing her love for the stage. And I also love that the popular rumor surrounding these private shows lately is that she's getting back into the swing of things and preparing so she can bring us a REAL era.

I also don't care much that it took the second highest budget for a music video ever to make it look like Britney is "trying"...especially when she still couldn't "afford" to be in all the dance scenes. Britney looked cute in the video, but let's NOT try it going further than that.

I care that Christina was pitchy.

Britney's craft (if you wanna call it that) is charisma and presentation. She showed a slight semblance of that in the WB video; a lot more than we've seen before. That's progress to me, even though, yes, the video was edited to death. Her other videos have been edited to oblivion too and those haven't saved her. Christina's craft (which you can call that) is her voice. Her voice was really, really bad in those videos. Christina's been having fun ever since she joined The Voice. That hasn't changed just because she lost weight. She's always enjoyed the stage. But as a stan I SHOULD expect a great singer to be at least somewhat good when doing the thing she's supposed to be great at. That's it.

it's funny reading your interpretation of Christina's DC show, in hindsight of all your damage control/fawning all over Gaga's... er, akin-to-train-wreckage performances and espouse ha artistic sensibility. Kudos.

If you're insinuating that that DC show was somehow better than (or on par to) any of Gaga's recent string of performances then let me pull out a blackboard and give you a lecture. When Gaga's vocal has been more on-point than someone whose biggest sell is her voice, then things need to improve. I love my girl Christina, but I'm tired of making excuses for her.

I wonder who Joe Public actually thinks is the best singer around these days.

Probably Adele or Beyonce. I think most people think Christina's a great singer because the media keeps saying so, but if you were to ask them what they really think of her voice they'd probably say "I'm not a fan."

Qazaq

Banned
Um, I totally may not have been listening closely, but was Christina really "pitchy" in her video? She doesn't always hit the high notes perfectly (See: Make The World Move on The Voice) (*waits for the GIF*), but like... pitchy?

I'm more than a little dubious that Christina Aguilera has "pitch" problems. This is the same woman that can bust out a near whistle note to a not-picked contestant on The Voice at the drop of a hat.

I mean, just staying on pitch is not exactly that hard. It's not like she was singing "Sing For Me".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom