• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I care that Christina was pitchy.

Britney's craft (if you wanna call it that) is charisma and presentation. She showed a slight semblance of that in the WB video; a lot more than we've seen before. That's progress to me, even though, yes, the video was edited to death. Her other videos have been edited to oblivion too and those haven't saved her. Christina's craft (which you can call that) is her voice. Her voice was really, really bad in those videos. Christina's been having fun ever since she joined The Voice. That hasn't changed just because she lost weight. She's always enjoyed the stage. But as a stan I SHOULD expect a great singer to be at least somewhat good when doing the thing she's supposed to be great at. That's it.

I actually didn't mind her voice in those videos, all stanning aside.

She did get a bit pitchy when she tried to reach for those upper belts. However, her midbelt range (Mumei Approved) is still surprisingly strong. She sounds great there still and most of what we see in the videos that have leaked from the show confirm that she was staying to mostly her midbelts.

Also, you have to remember, this was a PRIVATE concert. It was not something meant to get out to the public, so it's not fair to compare this to a polished effort that was meant for public consumption like Britney's music video. Especially if it's true Christina is using these events to get herself back into performing condition. You're judging what was basically a rehearsal.

Koodo

Banned
it's funny reading your interpretation of Christina's DC show, in hindsight of all your damage control/fawning all over Gaga's... er, akin-to-train-wreckage performances and espouse ha artistic sensibility. Kudos.
The thick irony in this post. Give me a minute.

ijGcGwqtFcCyR.gif

I actually didn't mind her voice in those videos, all stanning aside.

She did get a bit pitchy when she tried to reach for those upper belts. However, her midbelt range (Mumei Approved) is still surprisingly strong. She sounds great there still and most of what we see in the videos that have leaked from the show confirm that she was staying to mostly her midbelts.

Also, you have to remember, this was a PRIVATE concert. It was not something meant to get out to the public, so it's not fair to compare this to a polished effort that was meant for public consumption like Britney's music video. Especially if it's true Christina is using these events to get herself back into performing condition. You're judging what was basically a rehearsal.

Fair enough. I can just say that given what I heard from those videos, and her string of performances on The Voice (which we can consider to be big public performances), it's all sounding very similar. I know that she's beginning to get more serious about her delivery so I'll be watching to see if she can... deliver. lol

royalan

Um, I totally may not have been listening closely, but was Christina really "pitchy" in her video? She doesn't always hit the high notes perfectly (See: Make The World Move on The Voice) (*waits for the GIF*), but like... pitchy?

I'm more than a little dubious that Christina Aguilera has "pitch" problems. This is the same woman that can bust out a near whistle note to a not-picked contestant on The Voice at the drop of a hat.

I mean, just staying on pitch is not exactly that hard. It's not like she was singing "Sing For Me".

OMG - I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this!

You're right. And I think even Mumei has noticed it before, and I certainly have: When Christina is coaching a contestant on the voice or giving a quick pointer during a critique and she busts out an improvisation, she's ALWAYS pitch perfect. Not only that, but she's usually singing closer to "correctly" than she ever does in her own performances.

It really is strange.

xaosslug

I care that Christina was pitchy.

Britney's craft (if you wanna call it that) is charisma and presentation. She showed a slight semblance of that in the WB video; a lot more than we've seen before. That's progress to me, even though, yes, the video was edited to death. Her other videos have been edited to oblivion too and those haven't saved her. Christina's craft (which you can call that) is her voice. Her voice was really, really bad in those videos. Christina's been having fun ever since she joined The Voice. That hasn't changed just because she lost weight. She's always enjoyed the stage. But as a stan I SHOULD expect a great singer to be at least somewhat good when doing the thing she's supposed to be great at. That's it.

If you're insinuating that that DC show was somehow better than (or on par to) any of Gaga's recent string of performances then let me pull out a blackboard and give you a lecture. When Gaga's vocal has been more on-point than someone whose biggest sell is her voice, then things need to improve. I love my girl Christina, but I'm tired of making excuses for her.

so transparent. x-D You have a tendency to do this. You bend over backwards to PR-wash whoever you're defending. LOL Your pretzel-esqe breakdown of Gaga's VMA performance was some of the most epic damage control I've ever read. Seriously.

The thick irony in this post. Give me a minute.

ijGcGwqtFcCyR.gif

it's like... if your fave(s) are making you happy why do you STAY on Christina's jock? I mean

let me stop b4 I get banned.
ib0Io2rnlwYboY.gif

Qazaq

Banned
OMG - I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this!

You're right. And I think even Mumei has noticed it before, and I certainly have: When Christina is coaching a contestant on the voice or giving a quick pointer during a critique and she busts out an improvisation, she's ALWAYS pitch perfect. Not only that, but she's usually singing closer to "correctly" than she ever does in her own performances.

It really is strange.

But it's just common sense if you think about it for more than a few seconds. Broadway singers, aspiring singers in theater -- you can't have "pitch problems" at auditions in the vein people are suggesting here. People sing these songs eight times a week.

If your instrument is open and everything's working you're not going to have "pitch problems". To say that Christina was "pitchy" in her performances -- I mean, it's tricky to say this, because we can all just listen for ourselves -- but the notion that Christina Aguilera's voice has damage and thus she cannot stay "on pitch" seems absolutely ridiculous to me. That's not how it works.

Mumei

My Christina Approved range is A3 - A4, yes. I am willing to see her venture down lower since she doesn't actually sound like she's hurting herself, or use falsetto to go higher, though. I'm too kind, I know.

You're judging what was basically a rehearsal.

And heaven knows, that's completely unfair.

Christina's craft (which you can call that) is her voice.

Christina doesn't have a craft.

That's the problem. She had a fantastic voice - she just didn't quite have the voice (Mariah meets Whitney) she thought she did, and she never learned how to use it to do the sort of things she wanted to do with it. And while her voice is her claim to fame and what she's best known for, it still isn't her craft.

Probably Adele or Beyonce. I think most people think Christina's a great singer because the media keeps saying so, but if you were to ask them what they really think of her voice they'd probably say "I'm not a fan."

I'd guess Adele; Beyoncé probably (fairly or not) lost some shine due to the Super Bowl performance and the lipping nontroversy

I'm more than a little dubious that Christina Aguilera has "pitch" problems. This is the same woman that can bust out a near whistle note to a not-picked contestant on The Voice at the drop of a hat.

I think Christina probably has good pitch when it comes to her hearing, and there's this well-known example of that from early in her career. but has occasional pitch problems when she's actually singing. She has three pitch issues primarily. One, when she's singing a verse or whatever - not a high note or anything, but just singing a normal line - she sometimes doesn't maintain support so it's like the bottom falls out and she sounds breathless and weak, and she sometimes goes flat when this happens. Two, when she goes for a high note she sometimes doesn't quite hit it, and ends up below the note. And three, when she uses her falsetto to get into the whistle range, whether she'll get it or be flat / sharp seems to be mostly a matter of chance in her live performances.

Qazag is right that, "If your instrument is open and everything's working you're not going to have "pitch problems" - it's just that Christina's problems all involve her having issues with not being open.

Qazaq

Banned
Qazag is right that, "If your instrument is open and everything's working you're not going to have "pitch problems" - it's just that Christina's problems all involve her having issues with not being open.

I don't know. Look, I don't see the point in debating something that is basically a factual point -- she is or she isn't -- and you probably have more singing acumen than I do.

But you can't do the things Christina does with her voice unless you have an intensely open instrument. A seriously, seriously free instrument. With extremely fantastic breath support.

I just find the concept of debating Christina Aguilera having pitch problems while singing the vocal juggernauts of "Let There Be Love", "Moves Like Jagger", and "Feel This Moment" to be, for lack of a better word, fakakta.

Kyon

Banned
YOU MIGHT THINK IM CRAZYYY

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

THAT IM LOST AND FOOLISH LEAAVVIN YOUUU BEHIND

MAAAYBEE YOU'RE RIIIIIIGHT

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

YOU MIGHT THINK IM CRAZYY!

irtJz0sNp9VwG.gif

THAT IM LOST AND FOOLISH LEAVVIN YOUUU BEHIND

MAYBE YOU'RE RIGHT!

irtJz0sNp9VwG.gif

Maybe you're right ;__;

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sinead O'Connor Open Letter to Miley: Stop prostituting yourself
Dear Miley,

I wasn’t going to write this letter, but today i’ve been dodging phone calls from various newspapers who wished me to remark upon your having said in Rolling Stone your Wrecking Ball video was designed to be similar to the one for Nothing Compares… So this is what I need to say… And it is said in the spirit of motherliness and with love.

I am extremely concerned for you that those around you have led you to believe, or encouraged you in your own belief, that it is in any way ‘cool’ to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos. It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether its the music business or yourself doing the pimping.

Nothing but harm will come in the long run, from allowing yourself to be exploited, and it is absolutely NOT in ANY way an empowerment of yourself or any other young women, for you to send across the message that you are to be valued (even by you) more for your sexual appeal than your obvious talent.

I am happy to hear I am somewhat of a role model for you and I hope that because of that you will pay close attention to what I am telling you.

The music business doesn’t give a shit about you, or any of us. They will prostitute you for all you are worth, and cleverly make you think its what YOU wanted.. and when you end up in rehab as a result of being prostituted, ‘they’ will be sunning themselves on their yachts in Antigua, which they bought by selling your body and you will find yourself very alone.

None of the men oggling you give a shit about you either, do not be fooled. Many’s the woman mistook lust for love. If they want you sexually that doesn’t mean they give a fuck about you. All the more true when you unwittingly give the impression you don’t give much of a fuck about yourself. And when you employ people who give the impression they don’t give much of a fuck about you either. No one who cares about you could support your being pimped.. and that includes you yourself.

Yes, I’m suggesting you don’t care for yourself. That has to change. You ought be protected as a precious young lady by anyone in your employ and anyone around you, including you. This is a dangerous world. We don’t encourage our daughters to walk around naked in it because it makes them prey for animals and less than animals, a distressing majority of whom work in the music industry and it’s associated media.

You are worth more than your body or your sexual appeal. The world of showbiz doesn’t see things that way, they like things to be seen the other way, whether they are magazines who want you on their cover, or whatever.. Don’t be under any illusions.. ALL of them want you because they’re making money off your youth and your beauty.. which they could not do except for the fact your youth makes you blind to the evils of show business. If you have an innocent heart you can’t recognize those who do not.

I repeat, you have enough talent that you don’t need to let the music business make a prostitute of you. You shouldn’t let them make a fool of you either. Don’t think for a moment that any of them give a flying fuck about you. They’re there for the money.. we’re there for the music. It has always been that way and it will always be that way. The sooner a young lady gets to know that, the sooner she can be REALLY in control.

You also said in Rolling Stone that your look is based on mine. The look I chose, I chose on purpose at a time when my record company were encouraging me to do what you have done. I felt I would rather be judged on my talent and not my looks. I am happy that I made that choice, not least because I do not find myself on the proverbial rag heap now that I am almost 47 yrs of age.. which unfortunately many female artists who have based their image around their sexuality, end up on when they reach middle age.

Real empowerment of yourself as a woman would be to in future refuse to exploit your body or your sexuality in order for men to make money from you. I needn’t even ask the question.. I’ve been in the business long enough to know that men are making more money than you are from you getting naked. Its really not at all cool. And its sending dangerous signals to other young women. Please in future say no when you are asked to prostitute yourself. Your body is for you and your boyfriend. It isn’t for every spunk-spewing dirtbag on the net, or every greedy record company executive to buy his mistresses diamonds with.

As for the shedding of the Hannah Montana image.. whoever is telling you getting naked is the way to do that does absolutely NOT respect your talent, or you as a young lady. Your records are good enough for you not to need any shedding of Hannah Montana. She’s waaaaaaay gone by now.. Not because you got naked but because you make great records.

Whether we like it or not, us females in the industry are role models and as such we have to be extremely careful what messages we send to other women. The message you keep sending is that its somehow cool to be prostituted.. its so not cool Miley.. its dangerous. Women are to be valued for so much more than their sexuality. we aren’t merely objects of desire. I would be encouraging you to send healthier messages to your peers.. that they and you are worth more than what is currently going on in your career. Kindly fire any motherfucker who hasn’t expressed alarm, because they don’t care about you.
Source

Qazaq

Banned
I am extremely concerned for you that those around you have led you to believe, or encouraged you in your own belief, that it is in any way ‘cool’ to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos

LMAO LMAO

Kyon

Banned
Booking YouTube studio shows are far more impressive than the current parking lot tour that is going on rn by a certain someone

Artemisia

Banned
As for the shedding of the Hannah Montana image.. whoever is telling you getting naked is the way to do that does absolutely NOT respect your talent, or you as a young lady. Your records are good enough for you not to need any shedding of Hannah Montana. She’s waaaaaaay gone by now.. Not because you got naked but because you make great records.

WHERE are people getting the idea that Miley's new image wasn't her own creation? That she was forced into it? I can't.

royalan

My Christina Approved range is A3 - A4, yes. I am willing to see her venture down lower since she doesn't actually sound like she's hurting herself, or use falsetto to go higher, though. I'm too kind, I know.

That's actually one note higher than you gave her last time this came up. *.*

Christina doesn't have a craft.

That's the problem. She had a fantastic voice - she just didn't quite have the voice (Mariah meets Whitney) she thought she did, and she never learned how to use it to do the sort of things she wanted to do with it. And while her voice is her claim to fame and what she's best known for, it still isn't her craft.

While I understand what you're saying, and Christina doesn't have that technical craft as a backbone to her voice, I wouldn't say she's craftless. Christina is obviously very picky about how she sings things, and she pays attention to even the most minute details when she's in the studio. But I do agree that she has mostly relied on her natural ability without fortifying it with proper instruction or technique.

I don't know. Look, I don't see the point in debating something that is basically a factual point -- she is or she isn't -- and you probably have more singing acumen than I do.

But you can't do the things Christina does with her voice unless you have an intensely open instrument. A seriously, seriously free instrument. With extremely fantastic breath support.

I just find the concept of debating Christina Aguilera having pitch problems while singing the vocal juggernauts of "Let There Be Love", "Moves Like Jagger", and "Feel This Moment" to be, for lack of a better word, fakakta.

I see where you're coming from. I think that, while Christina does have some vocal issues, I do agree that, over time, people have used those issues to overshadow any possibly good aspect of Christina's voice and how she sings.

Christina is not at all a singer without merit. In fact, there are things she's capable of that I still don't see in a lot of girls in Pop that gets completely overshadowed because her faults have become the main topic of conversation. I mean, there's a reason why pretty much every producer who has ever worked with her goes out of their way to praise her. When Christina is in her comfort zone, she can pretty much sing anything, and not in the sense that she can bulldoze any genre with her vocals like Kelly Clarkson (no shade); she has this really musical timing and ability to mold her singing style to whatever it is she's singing, and to have it sound natural. Burlesque was a real eye-opener for me in the many ways Christina can alter her singing style. And, shody technique or not, it takes real musicianship to be able to do that.

Not to mention, I just love the floral way she approaches singing. When she's in her mid to low range, she can dive in and out of melody without losing her timing. She can growl at the drop of a dime. She can access her falsetto mid vocal line like nobody's business. And while melisma is something people have come to make fun of her for, she can construct complex and diverse melismatic lines seemingly without thought, and people just don't seem to realize how fucking difficult that is to do. How good your ear HAS to be, how much control and flexibility you HAVE to have, to pull off even basic melisma. And Christina gets knocked for going OVERBOARD (which is a fair criticism, but still).

When you can do all of the things Christina can, your worth as a singer shouldn't be rendered void because you strain on high notes. Especially when, in studio, you can still pull off stuff like this.

I know Mumei disagrees, but to this day I think the only successful Pop female who can match Christina point-for-point and best her is Mariah Carey, and I think it's because they both have a very similar stylistic approach to singing, but Mariah ALSO has that flawless technique that Christina lacks.

EDIT: Where Sinead O'Connor fails utterly with that letter is not realizing that Miley is completely aware of everything she's saying.

Seriously, how many times does Miley have to shout "I'M AWARE OF WHAT I'M DOING, AND HOW IT LOOKS, AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I'M DOING IT" before people start to hear?

Also, no. Sinead, you shaved your head for the exact same reason Miley had her makeover. So have a damn seat.

Mumei

In fairness, I'm a complete amateur with no singing experience of my own so.

And remember, I'm not saying she always sounds like she has issues singing with an open throat. She can sound beautiful and supported sometimes, but her larynx shoots up when she tries to go up in her belting range, and she relies on shouting and yelling to hit higher notes. Even when she is on pitch, she often sounds pinched and strained because of her issues with maintaining openness. There's a reason that videos like these use singers like her for many of the bad examples, and it's not just because they're all mean Mariah stans. Though it may have been a contributing factor, I suppose. But she simply has a ton of examples of bad singing habits.

Last year, I read a book called "Bel Canto: Principles and Practice" that was written in 1950, arguing that bel canto principles had been lost and that he had the solution to getting them back. This isn't anything remarkable; people have been arguing about how bel canto was lost and how they have the secret to getting it back since bel canto was a thing, But this excerpt is really illustrative for any discussion of Christina.

Cornelius Reid said:
'LOUD' vs. 'BIG' TONE

In any discussion of tonal volume a very real distinction should always be made between a 'big' tone, or one that is well resonated, and a 'loud' tone, which is nothing but noise. 'Loud' singing is both inartistic and injurious to the voice and is to be avoided at all costs. A 'big' tone is the very essence of musical quality and indicates that the tone is being well resonated. As a sound phenomenon the two are direct opposites, both as to cause and effect.

The reaction of the vocal response to these two qualities is interesting to observe. With the 'big' tone the scale of intensity is always smooth and even throughout the entire range of the voice. Singing of this kind is marked by a notable absence of struggle and effort, while the vocal compass is usually ample for the performance of moderately difficult music at least.

When the technique is 'noisy' all this is changed. The scale of intensity becomes decidedly unbalanced. Most of the volume is concentrated in the upper middle part of the voice range and often attains a degree of power that can only be matched by the unpleasantness of the quality. The highest tones of the voice, together with a large segment of the lower portion of the range, will be weak and entirely out of proportion to the rest of the voice. To force either weakened area without making a fundamental change in both the mental and physical approach only leads to throatiness of the most extreme kind.

In addition to the handicap imposed by the vocal deficiencies already mentioned, the 'noisy' singing is compelled to make other sacrifices that further detract from his performance. All ability to 'color' the vowels and to create atmosphere and mood is necessarily surrendered to a boisterous and aggressive style without artistic merit. When a voice is 'noisy' all efforts at interpretation are circumscribed by the limited resources at the singer's command. Because of the excessive 'drive' and 'push' needed to support tones of this type, hoarseness due to strain frequently develops and the voice becomes rough and uneven.

Volume concentrated in the upper middle part of the voice range? Check. Achieves power that is matched by unpleasantness of quality? Check. Highest tones and lowest tones are weak and out of proportion with the rest of the voice? Check. Forcing either end leads to throatiness? Check. Excessive / drive or push that has led to hoarseness and the voice becoming rough and uneven? Check. This was written in 1950, and it was talking about operatic singing, but it really is uncanny.

She has every hallmark of someone who is singing "loudly" but who is not resonating well. I think this helps - two clips of her singing dramatic passages, followed by Whitney singing dramatic passages.

... Are you being shady towards Christina? I can't tell. Those aren't what I'd call vocal juggernauts, I guess.

I know Mumei disagrees, but to this day I think the only successful Pop female who can match Christina point-for-point and best her is Mariah Carey, and I think it's because they both have a very similar stylistic approach to singing, but Mariah ALSO have that flawless technique that Christina lacks.

... Beyoncé? And don't start with "but all she does is sing scales!" She doesn't, and when she does she sings them better than anyone in pop, including Mariah.

xaosslug

WHERE are people getting the idea that Miley's new image wasn't her own creation? That she was forced into it? I can't.

err, let's not pretend there's not a massive machine behind Triley. It's kinda like Gaga and how when she first came out peeps were all acting like she was in complete control... if anything I'd say looking at things NOW it's very, very obvious Gaga had little-to-no control back during TF/M days. I mean when Gaga came out everything was pint-point accurate on point. And with fame came power and now she's somewhat steering the ship, which is why it keeps crashing into iceberg after iceberg... mess.

anyway, Sinead was in the same industry as Triley, so I think we should at least take ha as having an idea of that which she speaks...

Isn't Miley financing her own videos now too?

don't all artists? I'm pretty sure even if the label fronts the bill the artists have to pay them back...

royalan

In fairness, I'm a complete amateur with no singing experience of my own so.... Beyoncé? And don't start with "but all she does is sing scales!" She doesn't, and when she does she sings them better than anyone in pop, including Mariah.

Eh.

I won't try to deny Beyonce's technical abilities this time, but I excluded Beyonce because I don't think she's on their level when it comes to improvising. Beyonce takes a "perfectionist" approach to singing, which I feel has really hampered her ability to sound spontaneous on the mic. Even Mariah, with her flawless technique in her prime, knew how to let the stank out.

Even Beyonce's stank sounds incredibly rehearsed.

Also, I've said before, despite the differences in their tone and placement, I think Mariah and Christina actually sing very similarly. So it felt like a more even match-up to me to compare the two and say that Mariah bests her point-for-point.

I put my high heels
So I'm closer to God
I put my high heels on
So I'm closer to God
Tonight we're gonna dance to the Devil's drum
And I need someone
Need someone

I'm relistening to Trouble and it's shitting more than I remember.
qTow5lg.png

Artemisia

Banned
Isn't Miley financing her own videos now too?

That's what I read, too. Her label didn't want to fund another video after how We Can't Stop turned out, so she had to use her own coins for the Wrecking Ball video.

don't all artists? I'm pretty sure even if the label fronts the bill the artists have to pay them back...

Girl what? Music videos are part of an artist's promotion, which the label generally takes care of.

Qazaq

Banned
That's what I read, too. Her label didn't want to fund another video after how We Can't Stop turned out

Miley Cyrus's record company didn't like how We Can't Stop turned out? Really? Are you sure about that?

Girl what? Music videos are part of an artist's promotion, which the label generally takes care of.

According to the TLC Behind the Music documentary, the label may front the money to pay for the music video but ultimately it comes out of the artist's paycheck.

Touchdown

Banned
*sigh*...

I don't care that Christina was pitchy. I care that she was having fun. I care that she's clearly recapturing her love for the stage.

Why all of a sudden do we have to care if they are having fun? Botty mentioned the same thing about Miley I believe. Although if you are a stan I completely understand wanting your fave to have fun.

Kyon

Banned
*sigh*...
I don't care that Christina was pitchy. I care that she was having fun.

You say this then have the hypocrisy to drag Knee in the WB MV in which she is getting her groove back and having fun and getting into it which is basically what you're using as an excuse for X. Now Roy sis >_>

cory64

I am DONE after 2 hours. The clerb life's not for me. Barely made it back to my room *.*

edit: I forgot the guy dancing in front of me had Kerli on his iPhone. interesting.

Eh.

I won't try to deny Beyonce's technical abilities this time, but I excluded Beyonce because I don't think she's on their level when it comes to improvising. Beyonce takes a "perfectionist" approach to singing, which I feel has really hampered her ability to sound spontaneous on the mic. Even Mariah, with her flawless technique in her prime, knew how to let the stank out.

Also, I've said before, despite the differences in their tone and placement, I think Mariah and Christina actually sing very similarly. So it felt like a more even match-up to me to compare the two and say that Mariah bests her point-for-point.

I completely disagree with this statement. I'm not a vocal expert but Mariah doesn't over sing and constantly try to hit belts above her range. Mariah has perfect control over her vocals and it why she is who she is. It's funny you say that Bey sounds rehearsed when she sings because it's something that Mariah Carey kind of crafted imo. Mariah spontaneous burst were beautiful and you can tell she always knew what she wanted to do when her fingers started twirling in the air. It was spontaneous but controlled and not there just to force a change in the tone of the song.

I think there's a difference between being spontaneous to make a song dynamic correctly, than being spontaneous to just force out notes that you can't do all for the sake of showing off your "vocal abilities". My sister loves the singing loudly approach to Xtina as well as people like Demi Lovato. Xtina has her moments but to me, she is still just letting it breath. I feel like her voice is more damaged than before because of all the strain she tries to do in some songs..

Edit: I had to.. but this power and focus, soul and spontaneous control is absolutely unreal for a pop vocalist of our generation.. Bey is one of the top vocalist in this era period. She would be a great mentor. Her daddy did a good job.

I Care

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I put my high heels
So I'm closer to God
I put my high heels on
So I'm closer to God
Tonight we're gonna dance to the Devil's drum
And I need someone
Need someone

I'm relistening to Trouble and it's shitting more than I remember.
qTow5lg.png

Also from the same song "Fuck me in the Paris lights" so classy.
qTow5lg.png

EDIT: Xtina did effortlessly that part.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I see rihanna put out a shitty video for a shitty song

Mumei

Eh.

Keeping your options open, right? ;)

I feel like you're listening to a completely different singer than I am when you listen to Christina. When I listen to her, I hear runs that are completely unplanned - and it shows, last far longer than they should, involve needless register switches that don't seem (to me) to be related to any sort of expressive ends. I'll grant you that the simple ability to make her voice move like that is a positive commentary on her voice itself, but it isn't a positive commentary on how she uses her voice. There's a difference between an agile voice that has the training (or the natural gift of good placement) needed to sing melismatic lines while maintaining tonal quality, support, pitch, resonance, and ease and an agile voice for which those qualities are not a given but a question mark.

I don't think Mariah and Christina sing similarly at all; I think Mariah more resembles Beyoncé at least insofar as they both tend to be more rehearsed than spontaneous singers. Mariah does have a more naturalistic quality to her improvisation and her runs (both studio and live) do seem added to the song in a way that is a bit more imperceptible, like you could listen to the performance and not tell which parts are additions to the original, but in terms of fundamental approach I think they're much more similar.

Christina seems to be a spontaneous singer who lacks the musical training to do extended improvisation. I think she can be effective when she keeps it short - a few notes here or there tacked onto the end of a word or phrase, done in moderation - but it's almost axiomatic that the longer her runs last the more likely it is that they'll be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom