• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
the queen of dance music performed a new bop at XOYO festival

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTnBpvTbQc

iXuNuxV6rYJin.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorde EXPOSED as a RACIST

http://feministing.com/2013/10/03/wow-that-lorde-song-royals-is-racist/

Folks who have spent some time with me know that I deeply love music videos, so when I saw this posted on social media, I went straight to the video. Holy. Shit. What did this white girl just say?

My friends and I – we’ve cracked the code.
We count our dollars on the train to the party.
And everyone who knows us knows that we’re fine with this,
We didn’t come from money.

But every song’s like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin’ in the bathroom.
Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin’ the hotel room,
We don’t care, we’re driving Cadillacs in our dreams.
But everybody’s like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your time piece.
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
We don’t care, we aren’t caught up in your love affair​

While I love a good critique of wealth accumulation and inequity, this song is not one; in fact, it is deeply racist. Because we all know who she’s thinking when we’re talking gold teeth, Cristal and Maybachs. So why shit on black folks? Why shit on rappers? Why aren’t we critiquing wealth by taking hits at golf or polo or Central Park East? Why not take to task the bankers and old-money folks who actually have a hand in perpetuating and increasing wealth inequality? I’m gonna take a guess: racism. I don’t have to explain why wealth operates differently among folks who’ve grown up struggling because this shit has been explained already: If you grew up with holes in your zapatos you’d celebrate the minute you was having dough.

Yes, Lorde is only sixteen, but this is no viral video she put out outta her basement on her own; mad people signed off on this. Record execs have been working with her since she was 12; several, no, many people listened to this track, and saw no problem with it at all. And while I’m less mad at Lorde (who’s from New Zealand) than I am at the New York Times – and more generally white liberal critics that have been so captivated by Royals‘ call-out of consumption that they didn’t bother to take the time to think critically about the racial implications of the lyrics – this isn’t to say that there should be no accountability for her. I’m thinking of fierce youth activists who get it, are doing the work, and from whom Lorde could learn quite a bit. She apparently calls herself a feminist – let’s just hope her feminism gets a lot less racist as she develops as an artist.

smite ha and ha racially narrow brand of feminism downE

ipTW5O4IGM4NT.gif

I've lurked in PopGAF long enough. Time to join.

Here's my Last.fm for judgement.

Welcome *.* ..Not sure but my Last.fm says we are low. That's kind of odd considering we listen to the exact same people. I don't know if this has to do with it but me having way much more artist might be the reason why it's low. Last.fm sometime does that but in my book we are Super.

what kind of potent blend

iys73OI4ajbDw.gif

I'm a mild Miley stan, but I'm glad the truth is out there. It's not untrue at all. The part that really got me is when he said she never lived the Detriot life. Trust me, I haven't either but the last thing I would do is rep a city that has constant crime, were people died everyday to gang violence in the deep hoods while she is on the nice side of things with her bodyguards. Detroit is one of the worst cities in the nation and it's not something to be proud of.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

iXuNuxV6rYJin.gif

Sis didn't you see, the Guardian gave her a 5/5 writeup and said that her new songs shits and slay lives

If this is any indication that is MORE THAN TRUE

(p.s. XOYO is a club/venue not a festival)
what kind of potent blend

iys73OI4ajbDw.gif

The stand-out quote for me is

"Detroit's where I felt like I really grew up," she told Rolling Stone. "It was only for a summer, but that's where I started going to clubs, where I got my first tattoo...without my mom's consent. I got it on 8 Mile."

WITHOUT YOUR MOM'S CONSENT? Lordt what a REBEL. I take it back, she's not a try-hard she's the REEL DEEL.

Yoshiya

smite ha and ha racially narrow brand of feminism downE
pretty sure it's possible to critique conspicuous consumption and celebrity culture, including hip hop culture, without denigrating people on the basis of race. that's laughable, and the suggestion is dangerous in its sheer inanity.

anyway, happy to see the itunes charts celebrating the Lorde's return.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well at least now I can claim I was never on the Turde bandwagon because she's a racist and not just because I'm always so late to the party with bandwagons
iPBRapFyWrjIf.png

iXuNuxV6rYJin.gif

tumblr_mu2lji916n1sia8hno1_400.gif

Katy B shits. On a Mission was fire, and her Ep "What Love is Made of" slays.

Am I the only one who always thought her voice didn't fit her face? lol

Edit: I just seen those Terry Richarson Miley pics and I almost threw up. Her vag is so anorexic. Eww just ewww. I'm waiting for the day when she finally looks back on this and goes, "What was I thinking".

....But her Fashion Mag picture is BAAAAAAAAAADDDD!!! Why can't she just always look like that instead of all that urban shit? Seriously bad! My goodness

shink

Is this the place where I can vent about the injustice of Here's To Never Growing Up not smashing and Rock N Roll doing dismally.

SIDE NOTE PROMO: Jessica Mauboy's new album is great.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm disappointed there is almost ok dancing in the work bitch video. Aesthetically I love the video. I see they stole the set from say you'll be there from the spice girls, whom I love so I'm ok with that.

But no dancing.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I dont get how Lorde coming for rappers is racist.

Ridiculous.

You guys are literally hating on Miley now because she got a tattoo in Detroit.

At this point I think people are just annoyed with her bravado more than anything else. It's hard to put much merit in a "I got a tattoo" brag when she continues it with "without my mom's consent." It just comes off so... high school. It reminds me that she's just this kid who thinks she's legitimately the envy of the world, just like every high school kid feels. I suppose it's a normal attitude to have, but that's not to say it isn't fucking insufferable.

Nemesis_

Ridiculous.

You guys are literally hating on Miley now because she got a tattoo in Detroit.

You are completely missing the point.

ibsQizF2tCa9k3.gif

She's trying to hard to sound like a REBEL. Why the fuck did she awkwardly mention "WITHOUT MY MUM'S CONSENT"? It was unnecessary and forced.

royalan

At this point I think people are just annoyed with her bravado more than anything else. It's hard to put much merit in a "I got a tattoo" brag when she continues it with "without my mom's consent." It just comes off so... high school. It reminds me that she's just this kid who thinks she's legitimately the envy of the world, just like every high school kid feels. I suppose it's a normal attitude to have, but that's not to say it isn't fucking insufferable.

I think people are completely ignoring the relevance of the experience to her. She got her first tattoo and started making her own adult decisions without her parents' consent in Detroit. Who are we to judge what those experiences should have meant to her?

At this point I think people assigning a life to Miley that not even she's trying to live and judging her for coming up short.

You are completely missing the point.

ibsQizF2tCa9k3.gif

She's trying to hard to sound like a REBEL. Why the fuck did she awkwardly mention "WITHOUT MY MUM'S CONSENT"? It was unnecessary and forced.

Ummm, maybe because it was true?

And only you are thinking she mentioned it "awkwardly."

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Miley,

I have no interest whatsoever in meeting you. You had plenty of time yesterday to abuse Amanda Bynes - an entirely innocent party - and myself, who also did nothing to deserve your abuse... along with every other sufferer of mental health problems and every person who suffered abuse at the hands of priests.

You can take five minutes today between g- string ****in' changes to publicly apologise and remove your abusive tweets. If you do not then you don't give a f*** who you mock and what damage you do by being so ignorant.

When you publicly apologise to Amanda and myself and all mental health sufferers as well as all who were abused by priests that will end the matter as far as I am concerned. What you did yesterday was designed to damage me and my career and has caused me enormous distress and harassment and has potential to damage my career, since you deliberately gave the impression those tweets of mine were not two years old but reflect my current condition. If you cannot apologize I will have no choice but to bring legal proceedings against you since it is extremely hard to be given work when people think one is suffering from mental illness.

I have no interest in or desire to cause you trouble but if you do not apologise for having deliberately tried to cause me hurt and trouble personally and professionally I will have to bring pressure upon you.

When you end up in the psych ward or rehab I'll be happy to visit you.. and would not lower myself to mock you.

Be a proper woman and make the public apologies I have listed above. Your hosting SNL is a bu*****t reason for not taking five minutes to do the right thing and your behaviour yesterday will rebound upon you very badly.

You have no business abusing Amanda Bynes or anyone else. How do you think you made her feel yesterday? How do you feel when your friend Britney Spears is mocked and humiliated for having had mental health problems? I know I personally want to bash those who treat her that way. If she is your friend and more importantly if you are a true friend to her.. you ought to apologise for joining those who mock and humiliate women who have been too nice frankly, to manage the music business without sensibly losing their minds.

Cease behaving in an anti-female capacity. You will become the victim of it shortly. Soon it will be you the media 'crazy' .. and you will not enjoy it.. and you will appreciate people (like myself) standing up for you. Which I will be happy to do.. if you earn my respect today by apologising publicly.
Source
Sinead going in. lol

Nemesis_

Cute edit.

So I was clocked? Surely not by you.

Sis that lantern jaw in your avatar is rubbing off on you and your IQ is lowering.

You should listen to that Perez Hilton interview, he sounds just like you and all the other "Smilers" when they try to defend the troglodyte.

I thought you stan for people making a fool of themselves in public for promo now tho?

Royalan's specialty is hypocrisy.

Vazra

Sinead has a career for Triley to drag? Lol.

But regardless, I still believe that Miley's a rude, spoiled brat and Sinead has every right to go in.

I wanna see what else happen in here. Also I'm enjoying Sinead grammar getting worse on each open letter.
Sis that lantern jaw in your avatar is rubbing off on you and your IQ is lowering.

You should listen to that Perez Hilton interview, he sounds just like you and all the other "Smilers" when they try to defend the troglodyte.

OMG Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo #DEAD

I think people are completely ignoring the relevance of the experience to her. She got her first tattoo and started making her own adult decisions without her parents' consent in Detroit. Who are we to judge what those experiences should have meant to her?

At this point I think people assigning a life to Miley that not even she's trying to live and judging her for coming up short.

She shared that information so that we can assign a life to her, and judge her in a positive light because of it. That's how sharing information with an audience works. She can't say something like "Yeah man I went to DETROIT and got my first TATTOO there and got a CHAIN and I didn't even tell my MOM about it" and then be like "don't insinuate anything about me or my lifestyle from this statement." If she doesn't want to be misunderstood then there are hundreds of ways that she could come off in a better light, or to have a more clarifying tone.

Her idea of being edgy and controversial is re-appropriating herself into white people's view of black culture, and it's fucking offensive.

Vazra

Her idea of being edgy and controversial is re-appropriating herself into white people's view of black culture, and it's fucking offensive.

PREACH!!!!!!!

Agree with everything you said but this part really is the thing I see a lot with Miley.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The snl people will not be kind to Sinead

Styles

i9KCR0QZOeQC9.gif

royalan

Sinead has a career for Triley to drag? Lol.

But regardless, I still believe that Miley's a rude, spoiled brat and Sinead has every right to go in.

Frankly, Sinead should be ashamed herself.

This entire thing started because Miley had the nerve to say that she was a fan of Sinead O'Connor and that her Wrecking Ball video was inspired by her. Regardless of what you think of Miley, I don't see how anyone could interpret her initial comments on Sinead as an attack of any sort.

Sinead, in all her classiness, chooses to respond to Miley's praise with a condescending letter full of statements like this:

Not really...

"It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether its the music business or yourself doing the pimping."

"and when you end up in rehab as a result of being prostituted"

"when you unwittingly give the impression you don’t give much of a fuck about yourself"

"No one who cares about you could support your being pimped.. and that includes you yourself."

"Yes, I’m suggesting you don’t care for yourself. "

So, no, I don't think Sinead had any right to "go in." And if I were Miley, I would have dragged her ass too.

The amount of hate and mudslinging Miley's getting for simply living her life at this point is embarrassing. But I applaud her, and I hope she doesn't cave in. Keep doing you, Miley.

Keep it cute, Nem.

She shared that information so that we can assign a life to her, and judge her in a positive light because of it. That's how sharing information with an audience works. She can't say something like "Yeah man I went to DETROIT and got my first TATTOO there and got a CHAIN and I didn't even tell my MOM about it" and then be like "don't insinuate anything about me or my lifestyle from this statement." If she doesn't want to be misunderstood then there are hundreds of ways that she could come off in a better light, or to have a more clarifying tone.

You didn't answer my question. Who are we to judge what those experiences should have meant to her?

At this point, people are just judging every. single. thing Miley does as some attempt to live this nebulous "thug life" when not even she's saying that.

She got a tattoo in Detroit and a chain on South Street here in Philly. I fail to see how those are things that "black people" do, or even where she implied that those ARE things that only black people do (and South Street is so far from being a thing only black people experience it's not even funny). The only person making that connection here is you.

In that entire interview all Miley talked about was the experiences she had when she first got away from her parents and started making her own decisions about HER life. You, and everyone else, are the ones reading more into it than that.

EDIT: I mean, I could see if she said somewhere in her interview "Oh yeah! I'm trying to live this #BlackLife so I went and got a tattoo in Detroit and got a chain on South Street. I feel practically colored now!" You'd have a point. But your argument is basically "Miley has no right to feel independent because of her decisions. And she's insulting black people because she did things that I ascribe to the black experience...like getting a tattoo." Wut???

Frankly, Sinead should be ashamed herself.

This entire thing started because Miley had the nerve to say that she was a fan of Sinead O'Connor and that her Wrecking Ball video was inspired by her. Regardless of what you think of Miley, I don't see how anyone could interpret her initial comments on Sinead as an attack of any sort.

Sinead, in all her classiness, chooses to respond to Miley's praise with a condescending letter full of statements like this:

So, no, I don't think Sinead had any right to "go in." And if I were Miley, I would have dragged her ass too.

No, I don't think Miley's initial comments are rude. That being said, Sinead wrote that letter with the intention to help Miley, one musician to another. Miley's not an idiot; I highly doubt that she didn't comprehend the message Sinead was trying to send. And besides, I don't think writing a heartfelt letter that could be construed as "condescending" is ANY justification for openly insulting someone's mental health or other personal issues and therefore insulting that entire community and anyone who has ever been affected by it. How Miley responded was nothing short of childish and only further validates the image of "try hard edgy wannabe".

Anything to get more press though, I suppose.

royalan

No, I don't think Miley's initial comments are rude. That being said, Sinead wrote that letter with the intention to help Miley, one musician to another. Miley's not an idiot; I highly doubt that she didn't comprehend the message Sinead was trying to send. And besides, I don't think writing a heartfelt letter that could be construed as "condescending" is ANY justification for openly insulting someone's mental health or other personal issues and therefore insulting that entire community and anyone who has ever been affected by it. How Miley responded was nothing short of childish and only further validates the image of "try hard edgy wannabe".

Anything to get more press though, I suppose.

Oh come on. Again:

"It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether its the music business or yourself doing the pimping."

"and when you end up in rehab as a result of being prostituted"

"when you unwittingly give the impression you don’t give much of a fuck about yourself"

"No one who cares about you could support your being pimped.. and that includes you yourself."

"Yes, I’m suggesting you don’t care for yourself. "

Writing that and posting it publicly was Sinead trying to be about as "helpful" as Regina George.

I won't defend Miley attacking Sinead's poor mental health, that was a bad choice. But I do defend her right to being upset. There was nothing about Sinead's letter that was intended to be helpful, and only the completely naive don't realize that.

However, I will point that some of the same people in this thread bitching about Miley making fun of Sinead's mental condition are people who continued making fun of Amanda Bynes even after we found out that her actions were the result of untreated paranoid schizophrenia. So, there's that...

Koodo

Banned
However, I will point that some of the same people in this thread bitching about Miley making fun of Sinead's mental condition are people who continued making fun of Amanda Bynes even after we found out that her actions were the result of untreated paranoid schizophrenia. So, there's that...
Who?

Kyon

Banned
Lol @ Sinead meantioning Britney.

Which reminds me I find it HILARIOUS that I see Stans everywhere who make fun of a Britneys mental issues are the same people "OUTRAGED" that Miley dragged someone who has mental issues as well. If anything what Miley tweeted was tame compared to the shit most of said hypocrites say about Britney.

Interesting

i1Z37bR6yPs1U.gif

royalan

Lol @ Sinead meantioning Britney.

Which reminds me I find it HILARIOUS that I see Stans everywhere who make fun of a Britneys mental issues are the same people "OUTRAGED" that Miley dragged someone who has mental issues as well. If anything what Miley tweeted was tame compared to the shit most of said hypocrites say about Britney.

Interesting

#OOP

And even I'm guilty of this, but the POTENCY of this tea can't be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom