• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

Ignore the title, it's crazy shit omg

dat roar.

isl9kKpgTRSFq.gif

thank you, sis

royalan

You aren't giving Miley her full dues.

Her songs are smashing. She is breaking records. And she is doing it all under her own vision. You say Oprah owns Oprah, well... does Miley not also own Miley? I don't see anyone pulling her strings or telling her what to do. And then people keep saying Miley is "trying." What exactly is she trying...cause all I see is her doing. Every goal she sets for herself she reaches, and that is impressive. While the media and public are scrutinizing her...she is laughing all the way to the bank. Anyone who say's she is "trying to emulate poor black culture" just by twerking must have a very low view of that culture if that's all it takes to "try" and emulate it. Kind of reminds me of when people say a black person is trying to act white because they are well spoken. Hmm.

PERFECT response.

xaosslug

all this surrogate-fave-Triley stanning... what happens if none of this desperation hard work 'pays off' in record sales?

i9tSiwI79ZCYY.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I just read probably the most eloquent thing I've read yet about Miley but because it was a FB comment I can't really justify copy-pasting it here. So um, yeah.

botty

Banned
The same thing that happened to Ke?ha after Warrior came out, I presume.

ibrfQ8Xh4Tm6sF.gif

I doubt she'll have poor sales tho.

all this surrogate-fave-Triley stanning... what happens if none of this desperation hard work 'pays off' in record sales?

i9tSiwI79ZCYY.gif

This would imply that people were receipt stanning miley, when all evidence points to us liking her for her actions and not strictly for her ability to sell well.

xaosslug

This would imply that people were receipt stanning miley, when all evidence points to us liking her for her actions and not strictly for her ability to sell well.

i would believe that if at nearly every turn y'all peeps didn't fall back on how she's smashing as if it counters anyone's VALID arguments wrt how messy and try-hard she remains.

ifaGCqWz30NGT.gif

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/lorde-performs-royals-times-square-20470192

i'm probably not the best judge? I'm listening to her Jimmy Fallon perf right now and am having no problem w/ it.
image.php

I'm beginning to think I just don't care for her live singing voice. Or at least not when she sings Royals live. It's not really bad, it's just not for me.
image.php

The same thing that happened to Ke?ha after Warrior came out, I presume.

ibrfQ8Xh4Tm6sF.gif

Not too much on Ket¢hup. Warrior was a solid effort overall.

I'm beginning to think I just don't care for her live singing voice. Or at least not when she sings Royals live. It's not really bad, it's just not for me.
image.php

Not too much on Ket¢hup. Warrior was a solid effort overall.

ket¢hup
¢atsup
ket¢hup
¢atsup

Not you making me remember an ICONIC Mr Burns moment

You aren't giving Miley her full dues.

Her songs are smashing. She is breaking records. And she is doing it all under her own vision. You say Oprah owns Oprah, well... does Miley not also own Miley? I don't see anyone pulling her strings or telling her what to do. And then people keep saying Miley is "trying." What exactly is she trying...cause all I see is her doing. Every goal she sets for herself she reaches, and that is impressive. While the media and public are scrutinizing her...she is laughing all the way to the bank. Anyone who say's she is "trying to emulate poor black culture" just by twerking must have a very low view of that culture if that's all it takes to "try" and emulate it. Kind of reminds me of when people say a black person is trying to act white because they are well spoken. Hmm.

The bolded I can relate to because I get told this all the time. But speaking proper isn't a bad thing. It actually shows you have an education, self-respect/worth/values and don't want to associate yourself with the slang that everyone uses and then feel that they are entitled to be taken seriously because of it. You don't go into a job interview saying "U no wat I meen" or whatever improper way of speaking. I'm not saying you have to be bogie but you don't have to be ignorant either.

Are we suppose to give a pass to everyone with that criteria? I mean the reach.. If that's the case, because someone mocks a urban culture (or any culture for that means) and can make bank off of it representing it in the wrong ways, we should all give them praise? You can't mean this. That would be the most disgusting of things she could do as a human for this to be all for show JUST for money but not the actual interest.

Money, Records, Jewels, etc means NOTHING if you are offending a race or a culture, that is not in the eyes of society accepting, especially if the race it is associated gets judged daily because of it. Being Ratchet isn't cute period.

And what is she doing? Breaking a VMA's viewing record..Omg so amazing..It's nto even considered a real award show...Or wait, breaking a Vevo record? Wow, thats something so good and earth shattering that we can remember her by. No, that isn't breaking nothing, and that's certainly not doing.

As I said though, I love Miley for who she is as a person trying to run her image the way she wants, I just don't like how she's doing it. There were a million other ways she could of did it...

2577109-miley-cyrus-red-carpet-vma-2012-617-409.jpg
miley-cyrus-in-roberto-cavalli-2012-vanity-fair-oscar-party.png

But she choice this

Miley-Cyrus-Terry-Richardson1-400x300.jpg
miley-mike-will-1.jpg

Anyone who say's she is "trying to emulate poor black culture" just by twerking must have a very low view of that culture if that's all it takes to "try" and emulate it. Kind of reminds me of when people say a black person is trying to act white because they are well spoken. Hmm.

This is true, except what I said in my post (which was paid dust and I'm still drying my tears) is that it's HER that has the low the view of that culture. In HER head, embracing black culture (particularly black stereotypes like owning chains and twerking) is edgy and controversial. She's the one that's bastardizing black culture by deliberately re-appropriating her own image to fit those stereotypes, as if the only rite of passage into being a part of that culture is to dress up in skimpy clothes, shake your ass, and get tattoos in Detroit. No one is saying "oh she's black now," but based on what she's said behind the scenes and how she's been carrying herself, she seems like she wants to be. lol

This is called race-baiting and you all have fallen for it. It's when you deliberately reenforce a stereotype and then when you're called out on it, you play the "so that's what you think of other cultures?" card, which is ridiculous considering it's YOU that's bastardizing those things, not the viewer. The Bunifa Mad TV sketches come to mind here.

Anyway, I guess Miley Cyrus hasn't really earned this earnest a talk about her, she's just a dumb kid who's unknowingly being the worst (just like all kids her age), but it irks me when her fans get defensive and condone the fact that she's exploiting negative perceptions of black culture just for attention. She's absolutely fucking useless as a celebrity because of it.

So the Aura leak that we got months ago is actually the final, final studio version. Bleh

It's good, with flashes of great, but she could have made it so much better. :(

I'm fine with it being identical to the leaked version because the leaked version shits anyway. But this will be higher quality. Had the album version been significantly altered, Aura would probably suffer from demo-itis for me. I would just listen to the leak and pretend the final album version doesn't exist.

royalan

This is true, except what I said in my post (which was paid dust and I'm still drying my tears) is that it's HER that has the low the view of that culture. In HER head, embracing black culture (particularly black stereotypes like owning chains and twerking) is edgy and controversial. She's the one that's bastardizing black culture by deliberately re-appropriating her own image to fit those stereotypes, as if the only rite of passage into being a part of that culture is to dress up in skimpy clothes, shake your ass, and get tattoos in Detroit. No one is saying "oh she's black now," but based on what she's said behind the scenes and how she's been carrying herself, she seems like she wants to be. lol

This is called race-baiting and you all have fallen for it. It's when you deliberately reenforce a stereotype and then when you're called out on it, you play the "so that's what you think of other cultures?" card, which is ridiculous considering it's YOU that's bastardizing those things, not the viewer. The Bunifa Mad TV sketches come to mind here.

Anyway, I guess Miley Cyrus hasn't really earned this earnest a talk about her, she's just a dumb kid who's unknowingly being the worst (just like all kids her age), but it irks me when her fans get defensive and condone the fact that she's exploiting negative perceptions of black culture just for attention. She's absolutely fucking useless as a celebrity because of it.

Sis, have you actually followed Miley via interviews?

She has actively addressed the race thing every time she's been asked. And I've personally been saying for months now that that's the main reason I'm not offended.

Sis, have you actually followed Miley via interviews?

She has actively addressed the race thing every time she's been asked. And I've personally been saying for months now that that's the main reason I'm not offended.

But I thought we shouldn't be drawing conclusions about her from what she's telling us? :/

Aguila

#ICONIC
Royals has a 46% lead over Roar on iTunes.
mskt8j_zpsfb323382.gif

o, and Team is gaining on radio, has remained steady in the iTunes top 30, and debuted at 90 on the hot 100. Her next smash
mskt8j_zpsfb323382.gif

royalan

But I thought we shouldn't be drawing conclusions about her from what she's telling us? :/

No, you're more than allowed to do that. But a lot of what you guys are doing is reading into everything Miley says and approaching it as though she's JUST trying to be as edgy, cool and black as possible.

It's as if people actively REFUSE to even consider the idea that Miley is just growing up, enjoying her independence and being herself (whatever the hell that is at 21).

Botty hit the nail on the head: it's like all the kids (usually black) who made fun of me for "trying to be white" because I spoke properly and played YuGiOh! at lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom