• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even that I dislike her, I do use some of her songs.
It's like being shown round a house by a really excited person with them saying how amazing everything is since it's been done up yet all they've done is paint the walls a boring magnolia colour that is everywhere

I feel like I should be impressed with her, because I know she has dem pipes, but there's nothing else to her to be impressed by

That's exactly how I feel. She has a great voice, I'm just really never into any of her songs. I used a few from The Emancipation of Mimi but that's really about it.

Edit: Every time I see that gif I just sit there for a minute and watch the flopping. :3

I know, it's so cute. ;_;

O.

This is excellent.

ibEmeFWyIwSIJ.gif

3phemeral

Mariah was never really a "personality" until relatively recently (and not very widely likable either). I don't get the bland argument unless you consider that an important part of a musician's artistry. The only time the public felt they caught a glimpse of what she was really like was when they deemed her crazy, but that's a trait that was attached to her and not one that she cultivated or owned. These days, selling a personality is essentially a requirement for selling your music. Otherwise, if her music were lyrically as bland as and syrupy Whitney's most remembered tracks, I'd probably agree. But I think she has a great ability to write and sing with a variety of moods and poetic skill (at her best) that it's a bit disingenuous to think she could be the poster child for the banal. She also tends to add a bit of humor to her songwriting since EoM.

[edit] As Mumei said, if it's largely musical-style related, then it really can't be helped if it's not your thing.

Mariah was never really a "personality" until relatively recently (and not very widely likable either). I don't get the bland argument unless you consider that an important part of a musician's artistry. The only time the public felt they caught a glimpse of what she was really like was when they deemed her crazy, but that's a trait that was attached to her and not one that she cultivated or owned. These days, selling a personality is essentially a requirement for selling your music. Otherwise, if her music were lyrically as bland as and syrupy Whitney's most remembered tracks, I'd probably agree. But I think she has a great ability to write and sing with a variety of moods and poetic skill (at her best) that it's a bit disingenuous to think she could be the poster child for the banal. She also tends to add a bit of humor to her songwriting since EoM.

[edit] As Mumei said, if it's largely musical-style related, then it really can't be helped if it's not your thing.

Yeah. I mean I'm not trying to shade Mariah here, she really does have a great voice. I just get bored listening to her stuff. No harm, no foul I suppose.

3phemeral

That's two for two now.

I admit I typically don't go out of my way to find and listen to remixes. But if you'd post some of your favorites, I'd certainly check them out.

Here's some I posted from the dKaty Perry thread that are C&C Club Factory Influenced:

Honey (Classic Club Remix)
Anytime You Need a Friend
My All (Classic Club Mix)

She has a ton of remixes with new vocals, though, so it's difficult to gauge what you're looking for.

She has others that are ballady or Poppy and more rhythmic, Hip Hop influenced, F-me tracks like:

So Lonely
Makin' It Last All Night

If you like 80's inspired pop/funk people really sleep on:
Last Night a DJ Saved My Life
Didn't Mean To Turn You On

Mumei

That's two for two now.

I admit I typically don't go out of my way to find and listen to remixes. But if you'd post some of your favorites, I'd certainly check them out.

Okay, some favorites, no particular order:

Joy to the World Remix
"Thank God I Found You" (Make It Last Remix), ft. Joe and Nas
Anytime You Need A Friend C&C Extended Remix
Emotions C&C Club Mix
Dreamlover (David Morales Def House Club Mix) (skipped the nonsense at the beginning)
Dreamlover (Bam Jam Soul Remix)
Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri Extended Mix)
My All/Stay Awhile (So So Def Remix), ft. Peter Gunz and Lord Tariq
My All (Morales Classic Club Mix)
Underneath the Stars (Drifting Remix)
Honey (Classic Mix)
Honey (So So Def Mix)
I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Damizza Remix), ft. Krayzie Bone
Fantasy (Def Club Mix)
Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise) (Bass Man Remix)
Someday (New Jack Swing Remix) 7" Vinyl (12" is good, too, but I prefer 7")

And yeah, like 3phemeral mentioned there is stuff that aren't really remixes but in the same vein like Want You

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Have you listened to her other remixes?

Edit: !

I just found this amazing Emotions remix that I've never heard before.

This remix slays tbh
As I said it's no shade, it's just the music she makes doesn't do anything for me. I enjoyed that triumphant remix that everyone else liked though (I forget its name)

I'll bookmark that list or remixes and give it a listen tomorrow

In regards to her personality, the only thing I know about her is she is a diva. So my entire opinion is based around her fabulous portrayal in Got 2 b Real and I don't want that to change any time soon

Artemisia

Banned
Arte when is Katy B's album coming?
I'm watching her 1xtra set and while she isn't the best live performer the actual music is elevating me to a higher plane of existence

ibckNBDq0y92TB.gif

Aaliyah and What Love Is Made Of back to back is jusT too much for my soul

It's coming in 2014, apparently. They pushed it back for some reason.

And she was much more on point performance wise during her iTunes set. You should watch that *.*

Mumei

All this Mariah talk reminds me:

3phemeral and botty, have you listened to the In Search of Mimi BBC radio documentary? It's pretty great.

In regards to her personality, the only thing I know about her is she is a diva. So my entire opinion is based around her fabulous portrayal in Got 2 b Real and I don't want that to change any time soon

So, you say you don't want that to change any time soon, but these are some great interviews / show appearances if you're interested, anyway.

Also:

What would you rather be: A Turkey or a ham?

xaosslug

not really here for Azealia Banks, and imo she needs to take a break from Twitter, but I just watched The Heat and OMG, 212 shits!

i6HUzuzpHXdG2.gif

This remix slays tbh
As I said it's no shade, it's just the music she makes doesn't do anything for me. I enjoyed that triumphant remix that everyone else liked though (I forget its name)

I'll bookmark that list or remixes and give it a listen tomorrow

I love this interview with Wendy Williams. Wendy is a vile, vile woman, but boy can she interview tbh

Also, my favorite Mariah remix is and always will be Fly Away. Flawless, chill-out majesty.

Yado

1991 is where it's at, Azealia doesn't have any other songs with that level of polish. The verses, the flow, that 90s house vibe..it just slays.

royalan

Since this weekend is all about Mimi, apparently, I will say that Mariah and Nick Cannon are probably my favorite celeb couple right now.

They're just too adorable.

4F9ShMS.jpg

1991 is where it's at, Azealia doesn't have any other songs with that level of polish. The verses, the flow, that 90s house vibe..it just slays.

Oooh la la la
Flirting with a cool French dude named Antoine
He wanna taste the pastry
Chocolate croissant

iAmn8ng6qbCNP.gif

1991 and 212 are my favorite Azealia tracks. And I don't think she'll ever top them.

Although, Yung Rapunxel is pretty damn great and comes close for me.

I'm more interested to see if Broke With Expensive Taste will manage to top the 1991 EP.

royalan

Not only is Licorice Azealia Banks' best song (all other answers are incorrect), it's probably the best rap by a female since the early 90s. By most rappers, actually.

You have Azealia, this dark-skinned black woman, not only rapping about her sexuality in a non-derogatory way, but actively WIELDING it. At a time when more and more people seem to equate "black beauty" with "how European can you look with photoshop?" you have this dark-skinned rapper going in about how confident in her sexy she is, and how non-black men want her because she's black. She's black, she's beautiful, and she'll take your man. Sounds silly, but there are very few songs by black female rappers who own their appeal in that way.

Too bad Azealia is such shit now.

Not only is Licorice Azealia Banks' best song (all other answers are incorrect), it's probably the best rap by a female since the early 90s. By most rappers, actually.

You have Azealia, this dark-skinned black woman, not only rapping about her sexuality in a non-derogatory way, but actively WIELDING it. At a time when more and more people seem to equate "black beauty" with "how European can you look with photoshop?" you have this dark-skinned rapper going in about how confident in her sexy she is, and how non-black men want her because she's black. She's black, she's beautiful, and she'll take your man. Sounds silly, but there are very few songs by black female rappers who own their appeal in that way.

Too bad Azealia is such shit now.
Liquorice is the only song I unironically use from ha. Just perfection - flow is on point, lyrics are equal parts seduction and hilarity, and Lone's sample is just absolute fire.

I MAKE HITS MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU JIGGLE YOUR DICK

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

3phemeral and botty, have you listened to the In Search of Mimi BBC radio documentary? It's pretty great.

So, you say you don't want that to change any time soon, but these are some great interviews / show appearances if you're interested, anyway.

Also:

I love this interview with Wendy Williams. Wendy is a vile, vile woman, but boy can she interview tbh

Also, my favorite Mariah remix is and always will be Fly Away. Flawless, chill-out majesty.

Not you both recommending me super long interviews
I've just got in from a night out so I'll do my best. I still want to think of her as her got 2 be real character though

Touchdown

Banned
Tamar must have been perusing the legend's discography right along with Gaf.

Earlier today, Tamar Braxton tweeted to Mariah about the song "Outside." In her tweet she says: ......."you"ll always be somewhere on the outside" I never knew why I connected with that song @MariahCarey. I NOW know why...."

These last couple of pages...

iXSf7aras9R03.gif

Mumei

G2BR was everything. lol, I hope Patti and Dionne are every bit as shady as the show made them out to be.

Well, in this video you can see an answer to your question and someone who Roy knows and has slept with.

It's the last guy.
He's into singers who can't hit notes to save their lives.
I may be lying and their having had carnal relations. Maybe. I'll only admit it if he sees this post, though.

Speaking of Tamar, I was using her sister last night. This performance of Seven Whole Days slayed me from beginning to end.

3phemeral

Also:

I have not seen this. I will watch.

I've always wished Mariah would just be more real like in this interview. I think people would respect her a hell of a lot more. Instead, she's been obsessed with this "If they think I'm a Diva, I might as well be one." But it's gone beyond parody and has seeped into her actual persona.

These last couple of pages...

iXSf7aras9R03.gif
As a biracial kid, Outside was my church.
irkawumH1Nlxw.gif

Trigger

Well, in this video you can see an answer to your question and someone who Roy knows and has slept with.

It's the last guy.
I may be lying and their having had carnal relations. Maybe. I'll only admit it if he sees this post, though.

I'm dying.

"When I laugh, I laugh because I'm happy."
XBMjaTZ.gif

Mumei

I have not seen this. I will watch.

It's really great. You'll like it. <3

On The Record With Fuse is another great interview.

Instead, she's been obsessed with this "If they think I'm a Diva, I might as well be one." But it's gone beyond parody and has seeped into her actual persona.

Mm. She's explained that the whole "darling" thing is an intentional affectation and that she's kidding about it, but it does sometimes seem like she does it so much that it's hard to tell.

I'm dying.

"When I laugh, I laugh because I'm happy."
XBMjaTZ.gif

ibyMHhsfwIusoT.gif
ibzQdQaD1LPCnx.gif

inbnQGnmcvMHF.gif
ibhR4oMWa9NTgo.gif

Also, she's Mariah's godmother.

royalan

It's the last guy.

EWWWWWW You shady dame!

Patti praises everyone, though.

"When I heard that freakin' Bodyguard and Whitney had that song, almost cried. I said, 'Girlfriend got the song before I did!' and after Whitney did it, you can't do it. Yeah, she got rich, but it wasn't even about getting rich. That was my song."

I love Patti...but she doesn't really think she could have sung I Will Always Love You as well as Whitney, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom