• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

EWWWWWW You shady dame!

iA792pKKyB6sn.gif

I love Patti...but she doesn't really think she could have sung I Will Always Love You as well as Whitney, right?

Probably not. In the interview she's just talking about how Dolly Parton and her are friends and how for a long time Dolly had been saying that Patti should cover it... and after Whitney covered it, the song had been snatched.

Patti is more versatile than she's often given credit for - R&B, ballads, up-tempo dance, funk, gospel, etc. - and definitely isn't the one-dimensional high belter she's sometimes caricatured as.

Edit: She said this is her favorite Patti Labelle song. Oh, and live.

Now if you never shoot, you’ll never know
And if you never eat, you’ll never grow
You’ve got a pretty kind of dirty face
And when she's leaving your home
She's begging you to stay stay stay stay stay

'I'll give you one more time
We'll give you one more fight
Said one more line
There'll be a riot, ‘cause I know you'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjHgiSx0RNQ

CRYING

3phemeral

Michelle clocked effortlessly on everything past D5

I was just listening to the end of that video, and it sucks Michelle's tone is not my taste. Those full passages she was singing in those F#5 belts were amazing. Poor Latoya being overshadowed by Michelle's apparent increase in belting power in that range. But Kelly is, in fact, the weakest of them all, though. If not that, then certainly the one with the least amount of endurance.

royalan

I was just listening to the end of that video, and it sucks Michelle's tone is not my taste. Those full passages she was singing in those F#5 belts were amazing. Poor Latoya, though.

Yeah, I find that when you start getting true soprano vocalists in Pop/R&B is when you start getting those "love it or hate it" tones from singers. Michelle's voice is almost pipsqueakish that high up, but I was surprised at how high she could go and still maintain control and full vibrato. Even Beyonce is just a stone's throw away shouting at the F5, but Michelle's giving us full vocal lines.

Mumei

I hadn't realized how enormous Michelle's chin is until viewing her in profile at 9:50.

I love when Beyonce comes on, you can hear how open her throat is. Its amazing the fullness she has on some of those belts.

Yes! I love it.

Michelle clocked effortlessly on everything past D5

I disagree. She has a lighter voice and is a soprano, so it isn't surprising that she has more ease in the upper belt (F5/F#5). Beyonce still has a more open and resonant sound even there, though.

royalan

I hadn't realized how enormous Michelle's chin is until viewing her in profile at 9:50.

I think that was my favorite note from Michelle. And you could see the training. So relaxed.

I disagree. She has a lighter voice and is a soprano, so it isn't surprising that she has more ease in the upper belt (F5/F#5). Beyonce still has a more open and resonant sound even there, though.

Even in the F#5? She has a bigger voice than Michelle, but to me it seemed like we were definitely hearing Beyonce stretching to her limit there.

Mumei

Even in the F#5? She has a bigger voice than Michelle, but to me it seemed like we were definitely hearing Beyonce stretching to her limit there.

Hm.

Well, I think that Bey's peak in terms of the quality of her belts is at F5, so I do agree that around F#5 you start hearing her limits somewhat, and by G5/G#5 she's really just touching the notes. But she's hardly shouting them.

So, after re-listening: I think you're right on the F#5s.

Edit: Though I guess the best way to put it would be that Bey does sound more resonant in part because her voice is bigger (as you say), but I'll give it to Michelle because of how much ease she has. I think it's sort of similar to Mariah / Whitney in the upper belt - Whitney still has more resonance because she has a much bigger voice, but Mariah has more ease (and her placement tends to help in the upper belt). I tend to prefer Mariah because of it in that range.

cory64

I can't sleep because I'm worried about What Now U.

edit: JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE – TKO: 40.301 (+1.233)
ic Wrecking Ball saved RCA's payola from drying up completely after putting Take Back The Night on life support all damn summer.

Just catching up on all the Mariah talk, especially all of the remixes that I have never heard before. I will say that I'm not really a fan of dance music in general, but Mimi's voice makes me listen. Her power

tumblr_m69tz1zlGx1rowo0fo1_500.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I had a moment in the shower. I sang Hit Me Baby One More time and danced to it. Also another moment when I sang Hit me baby one more time I got a mental picture of Rihanna and did the nastiest cackle ever.

WTF is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom