• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
kaZsAVx.gif

Monster isn't all that great either if I'm being honest. It sounds like something Cascada would release as a Gaga imitation.

Agreed

ibnRjjhRe3mjlD.gif

Cheddahz

Banned
Definitely. It's the perfect mix of rock/grunge/noise with pop hooks everywhere. I always had faith Sky would deliver. But I never expected it to be quite this good.

The only song I don't care for is "Boys" and I kinda wish "Everything is Embarrassing" was on the album

Partition

Banned
Born This Way remains her best work.

I'd rather listen to 'Bad Kids' than Telephone/Teeth/Speechless/Monster at any given moment of any day.

'Hair' remains iconic and one of the best songs written this millennium.
catcreep.png

'Scheiße' is the true definition of a club bop, something ARTPOP has yet to even deliver.

'Heavy Metal Lover' is like the better version of So Happy I Could Die, a chill track that fits any mood.

'Bloody Mary' is one of the best tracks she has written period and features some of the most interesting production/vocal work from her

'Edge of Glory' remains her best (and maybe even the only good) ballady song she has

Artemisia

Banned
Don't look ahead, there's stormy weather (iconic guitar riff)
Another roadblock in our way (iconic guitar riff)
But if we go, we go together (iconic guitar riff)
Our hands are tied here if we stay (iconic guitar riff)

Oh, we said our dreams could carry us
and if they don't fly we will run
now we push right past to find out
oh how to win what they all lost

Disparate Youth is criminally underrated, what a fucking [m a s t e r p i e c e]

iq1kE0yC1Ztj.gif

I always knew ARTPOP's taste was suspect, but that post above has confirmed my suspicions.

TFM >>> BTW

And I LIKE BTW, but I end up skipping through so many songs when they come up on my phone.

Yado

Don't look ahead, there's stormy weather (iconic guitar riff)
Another roadblock in our way (iconic guitar riff)
But if we go, we go together (iconic guitar riff)
Our hands are tied here if we stay (iconic guitar riff)

Oh, we said our dreams could carry us
and if they don't fly we will run
now we push right past to find out
oh how to win what they all lost

Disparate Youth is criminally underrated, what a fucking [m a s t e r p i e c e]

iq1kE0yC1Ztj.gif

This song slays but it's the only good song on that wretched album.

Mumei

Celine's album has leaked!

tumblr_ms1groaLI61r3942oo1_500.gif

Speaking of Celine, I saw an interview that Maclean's did with her at the library today.

My favorite part (aside from the moronic assertion that she has a five-octave range):

Q: What is the hardest and highest note you’ve ever hit?

A: That would be in All By Myself—it’s still hard to sing today. I was in Montreal and David [Foster] was in Malibu and called me to ask me if I could [attempt] the song in my register so I sang it to him over the phone and he was happy. Not too long after this, I get to Malibu to record the song and he tells me he’s rearranged it three notes higher. He said, and I’ll never forget it, “Don’t worry if you can’t sing it, Whitney Houston is in the studio next door.” That gave me the pipes that I needed.​

It isn't her highest note, but it's definitely one of the hardest notes for her.

Partition

Banned
I always knew ARTPOP's taste was suspect, but that post above has confirmed my suspicions.

TFM >>> BTW

And I LIKE BTW, but I end up skipping through so many songs when they come up on my phone.

TFM is great, I think it's overrated because it's only 8 tracks, vs 14 or so for her other albums (almost half the size). The best tracks from BTW are better than the best tracks from TFM, which is what it comes down to for me.

1. Marry The Night
2. Born This Way
3. Judas
4. Scheiße
5. Bloody Mary
6. Heavy Metal Lover
7. You & I
8. Edge of Glory

Would make a much more solid album to me than TFM, imo.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
TFM is great, I think it's overrated because it's only 8 tracks, vs 14 or so for her other albums (almost half the size).
Restraint is a thing. TFM is short, but cohesive and every song is a smash. There are very few recent pop albums that are solid over more than eight or so tracks (Blackout, Robyn, Body Talk, Confessions...that's it off the top of my head).

The best tracks from BTW are better than the best tracks from TFM
ibm5fiyishPyti.gif

TFM is great, I think it's overrated because it's only 8 tracks, vs 14 or so for her other albums (almost half the size). The best tracks from BTW are better than the best tracks from TFM, which is what it comes down to for me.

1. Marry The Night
2. Born This Way
3. Judas
4. Scheiße
5. Bloody Mary
6. Heavy Metal Lover
7. You & I
8. Edge of Glory

Would make a much more solid album to me than TFM, imo.

Marry the Night tho?
kaZsAVx.gif

I will not stand for this shit.

e7Q0zJX.gif

But I use the rest of your list.

Partition

Banned
Restraint is a thing. TFM is short, but cohesive and every song is a smash. There are very few recent pop albums that are solid over more than eight or so tracks (Blackout, Robyn, Body Talk, Confessions...that's it off the top of my head).

I agree TFM is her best overall work because every song is (sort of) solid, but I just hate the comparisons made between it and her other albums; I don't find it fair because it's so short. And yes I stand by my point that if you pick the best 8 from BTW, it is a better album than TFM :/

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I agree TFM is her best overall work because every song is (sort of) solid, but I just hate the comparisons made between it and her other albums; I don't find it fair because it's so short. And yes I stand by my point that if you pick the best 8 from BTW, it is a better album than TFM :/

I think there are perhaps some tracks from TFM that you could swap for BTW tracks that would improve TFM. At a push. But not more than two or three (I'd get rid of So Happy or Speechless for Highway Unicorn any day tho).

Partition

Banned
Justice 4 Highway Unicorn

The power of Gaga's work is that her tracks really have no universal agreement on what is shit and what is not. That is probably what keeps people talking about her past albums, something you don't see as much with current pop stars. ARTPOP especially seems the same way, MJH and Aura for example are polarizing, like you either love them or hate them.

cory64

I agree, an edited Born This Way would be almost as good as TFM.
Let me slap together a feature about that in the next few days

Nemesis_

This is a bit late but Disclosure actually responded about Azealia Banks.

For context, Azealia basically said "We're not doing it anymore because I saw an interview with them and they were rude" or something.

If there's one thing Azealia Banks has done in her career, she's shown exactly how willing other artists are to engage her in a little media back-and-forth. She's a great troll, whether she wants that title or not. This time it's Disclosure's Howard and Guy Lawrence, who were not too sanctimonious to take a subtle few jabs at her on Australia's Triple J radio (via NME). They spoke in response to Azealia's recent decision to scrap her collaboration with the duo after they were "like, really rude in an interview."

"We're actually terrible, terrible people," Howard said sarcastically. Guy explained: "We just wrote the first verse and a build-up—there wasn't a chorus—and she kind of took it away," he said. "Then she thought we were rude in that interview, but we apologised and everything. It didn't seem to matter that we apologise... We made the beat on the way there in the car, so I don't give a damn if she uses it. Whatever."

"Maybe when I said [in the interview] that she's 'taken to it quite heavily', it came across as rude—but what I meant was that whenever we've worked with anyone in the past, we just keep it secret," Guy continued. "Because if nothing comes of the session, nobody's disappointed. But if you build all the hype before, then you have to deliver an amazing song." So, Disclosure think Azealia Banks is not chill enough. Story of her life.

Speaking of Azealia Banks, she's got some new music. She's featured on Akhet's "Blown Away"-- listen above.

This sounds almost exactly the same as Red Flame / Ratchet.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Run, run withered tit
Run, run withered tit
Run, run withered tit
Run, run withered tit
Run, run withered tit
Run, run withered tit
Run, run withered tit
Run, run with her top down baby she flies

Misheard lyrics. But no matter how hard I try, I can't hear anything different.
kaZsAVx.gif

Highway Unicorn is the song Venus wishes it was tbh.

Yado

We made the beat on the way there in the car, so I don't give a damn if she uses it. Whatever.

This sounds almost exactly the same as Red Flame / Ratchet.

These girls sound messy and it's clear from their tone that they didn't really give a shit about her and whatever it is they were working on. Azealia said she has better tracks on her album so I guess everyone involved feels the same about their low rent production.

i8iFg4g0p3ZfL.gif

Yado

I remember running to the sea
The burning houses and trees
I remember running to the sea
Alone and blinded by the fear

iL2J90shSkIrT.gif

Running to the Sea is the closing track on my pop playlist. Gödsopp slays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom