• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

Do we even know why Lipsha was cancelled? It sounds like her label really doesn't want her to release anything but vapid party anthems.

It almost sounds like her whole spiel about Die Young was factually correct
iYGzNbhm57uMh.png

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Kesha needs to smash because lord knows Gaga isn't in the UK and I want to hear at least one of my faves in the clubs

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Although, despite the fact Perra's video has just came out, DWUW > Unconditionally on itunes. Perhaps there is still hope?
iv1m5r2nmsZH8.gif

Nemesis_

I mean, considering what people are saying about the video who were there during the shoot - it looks like it might generate a bit of buzz (probably negative).

But it's very obviously the Terry Richardson tried and true Wrecking Ball method if that is the case.

royalan

I mean, considering what people are saying about the video who were there during the shoot - it looks like it might generate a bit of buzz (probably negative).

But it's very obviously the Terry Richardson tried and true Wrecking Ball method if that is the case.

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to this video. I feel like Gaga's gone off the deep-end and is going to do some really ridiculously stupid shit for attention and it's going to backfire.

At this point I don't understand how Gaga doesn't realize the people are tired of the gimmick overload. It's not that the gimmicks aren't "big enough," it's that they don't elevate the music in ANY way (they haven't in a while), and people are just fucking tired of it. As soon as people see Gaga wearing something stupid or acting in a way that's stupid they just immediately tune out.

Simmer down.

botty

Banned
Ugh, I'm not looking forward to this video. I feel like Gaga's gone off the deep-end and is going to do some really ridiculously stupid shit for attention and it's going to backfire.

At this point I don't understand how Gaga doesn't realize the people are tired of the gimmick overload. It's not that the gimmicks aren't "big enough," it's that they don't elevate the music in ANY way (they haven't in a while), and people are just fucking tired of it. As soon as people see Gaga wearing something stupid or acting in a way that's stupid they just immediately tune out.

Simmer down.

It's kinda of sad really, but I think I know why she is going to go this route: Miley. The VMAs had to have been a huge wake up call for her that the majority of the public (here in america, at least) no longer cared for the weird antics. Miley on the other hand stole the spotlight by being free, sexual, and, arguably, herself. I guess gags learned from Miley what she has to do in order to get the attention of the public back, because the weird stuff isn't doing it. I kinda realized all of this after her tweet where she was basically challenging the media to wait and see just how raunchy she could be in her video since they were so appalled by her SNL performance...that received not even one third of the coverage Miley got for her VMA performance.

royalan

Yes, stan Godmauzu. *.*

His work has been the only good part of the XIII trilogy of games.

Fixed teehee *.*

It's kinda of sad really, but I think I know why she is going to go this route: Miley. The VMAs had to have been a huge wake up call for her that the majority of the public (here in america, at least) no longer cared for the weird antics. Miley on the other hand stole the spotlight by being free, sexual, and, arguably, herself. I guess gags learned from Miley what she has to do in order to get the attention of the public back, because the weird stuff isn't doing it. I kinda realized all of this after her tweet where she was basically challenging the media to wait and see just how raunchy she could be in her video since they were so appalled by her SNL performance...that received not even one third of the coverage Miley got for her VMA performance.

I agree. You KNOW Gaga had to be salty that her big opening performance (and true start of the ARTPOP era) was made completely irrelevant by the very next performance.

Miley. She really did change the game, didn't she?

botty

Banned
I agree. You KNOW Gaga had to be salty that her big opening performance (and true start of the ARTPOP era) was made completely irrelevant by the very next performance.

Miley. She really did change the game, didn't she?

Gaga does love attention—I mean, there are interviews of her admitting that she knows how to keep the public interested in her and that's the reason for her antics...which, I guess, would contradict her whole "it's for the art" slogans. But yeah, I don't think Gaga particularly likes when she isn't the most talked about person in the room and that's kind of fair considering the industry she is in. But it does seem like she's losing her grip on what the public wants.

And Miley did debut higher than Gaga. That's still something I am still wrapping my head around.

botty

Banned
The quickest way for Gaga to make the ARTPOP era irrelevant is to take tips from Miley.

I know you don't like Miley, but what exactly do you mean? Miley has had the public's attention for months and managed to debut higher than Gaga in the US. Sure, she isn't as global as gaga, but she still managed to break records that Gaga probably would have wanted.

Trigger

I know you don't like Miley, but what exactly do you mean? Miley has had the public's attention for months and managed to debut higher than Gaga in the US. Sure, she isn't as global as gaga, but she still managed to break records that Gaga probably would have wanted.

I think most of what's happening to Miley is very specific to her situation. Gaga didn't enter the mainstream consciousness as some all American sweetheart. She's always been a bit of a fun party pop girl. I wouldn't be surprised if she's jealous of Miley (because who wouldn't?), but 3-4 years from now what Miley is doing won't be nearly as provocative. Gags is better off honing her vision of ARTPOP by improving the quality of her live performances and putting more thought into her single choices and promo. Trying to be more sexual, more outrageous, more zany is the quickest way to kill people's interest in her. It's not so much that I dislike Miley; I just don't think she's doing anything that would be useful to Gaga as a model.

iXOyuzDpir9UH.gif

Super's avatar dddddd

waiT

I'm screaming.

Poor brave Arte. ;_;

Gaga does love attention—I mean, there are interviews of her admitting that she knows how to keep the public interested in her and that's the reason for her antics...which, I guess, would contradict her whole "it's for the art" slogans. But yeah, I don't think Gaga particularly likes when she isn't the most talked about person in the room and that's kind of fair considering the industry she is in. But it does seem like she's losing her grip on what the public wants.

And Miley did debut higher than Gaga. That's still something I am still wrapping my head around.

Yeah, I do think that Gaga craves the spotlight because she's a constant expose. And at the end of the day that's how art lives and dies; by the size of its audience. There's no point in being "about the art" if no one's checking for it. That said, I think she wrestles somewhat between wanting to be the head bitch in charge and wanting to be the weird, misunderstood alternative underdog in the game. I think she craves the former but is more comfortable (and inspired) with the latter. The Miley thing I think frustrated her somewhat because people started blurring the lines between shocking for the sake of being shocking, and shocking to appropriate a statement. Gaga at the end of the day is all about the latter whether she drives the point home well or not. She loves to shock but she won't do it compromisingly, it's always calculated and thought out. I think with people being tired of her antics she's realizing that people put her weirdness in the same vein as Miley's, which is probably fueling her to keep going and standing by her "art" so that when others phase in and out of the spotlight she will remain true to her own style and imaging. She might dial it up and down based on culture trends (hence the DWUW video most likely dialing it up) but I do appreciate the fact that she's remaining pretty much unchanged regardless of what others are doing, for better or for worse.

It's too bad that Gaga's brand gets heavily affected by others in the game though. People have misinterpreted her performance art (and she IS performance art) for hiding behind crazy outfits to sell music and she won't live it down until a few albums down the road.

There will come a time when a pop star becomes established enough to earn respect from the masses. Beyonce didn't hit it until 2010. Before then people were STILL saying she was untalented, a hack, personality-less, generic. Now an overwhelming number of people recognize her as a new icon. Britney hit that in 2010 too. People saw her and said "it doesn't matter what she does, she's Britney fucking Spears." They aren't affected by other artists so much anymore (at least not in the eyes of the public) because they earned the respect of the masses through longevity and relevance. Lady Gaga will get there eventually and once she hits that mark people will see her for the queen freak that she is, but until then people will constantly be doubting and underestimating her drive and awareness. She'll get there.

Rihanna and Taylor Swift are the only pop stars right now whose success and presence has no effect on the other girls, and who remain unaffected themselves. Their singles/albums are huge, and yet no one says they're coming after someone's share. They're in a lane that I think Gaga should be in but sadly people refuse to put her there.

botty

Banned
I think most of what's happening to Miley is very specific to her situation. Gaga didn't enter the mainstream consciousness as some all American sweetheart. She's always been a bit of a fun party pop girl. I wouldn't be surprised if she's jealous of Miley (because who wouldn't?), but 3-4 years from now what Miley is doing won't be nearly as provocative. Gags is better off honing her vision of ARTPOP by improving the quality of her live performances and putting more thought into her single choices and promo. Trying to be more sexual, more outrageous, more zany is the quickest way to kill people's interest in her. It's not so much that I dislike Miley; I just don't think she's doing anything that would be useful to Gaga as a model.

I get what you're trying to say here, and I do agree that Miley's transformation (or is it an unveiling?) has been the cause of most of the attention. However, you also brought up another interesting point that parallels Gaga's current situation: nearly three years after Born This Way, the things Gags is doing isn't nearly as provocative anymore. And if you say Gaga needs to start honing her vision of ARTPOP, that just makes me think that the era has been sloppy thus far. I also don't think Gaga should be copying/emulating anyone else either, but I suppose it is her duty as an ~art popist~ to be one with pop culture...even if it means copying them.

Yeah, I do think that Gaga craves the spotlight because she's a constant expose. And at the end of the day that's how art lives and dies; by the size of its audience. There's no point in being "about the art" if no one's checking for it. That said, I think she wrestles somewhat between wanting to be the head bitch in charge and wanting to be the weird, misunderstood alternative underdog in the game. I think she craves the former but is more comfortable (and inspired) with the latter. The Miley thing I think frustrated her somewhat because people started blurring the lines between shocking for the sake of being shocking, and shocking to appropriate a statement. Gaga at the end of the day is all about the latter whether she drives the point home well or not. She loves to shock but she won't do it compromisingly, it's always calculated and thought out. I think with people being tired of her antics she's realizing that people put her weirdness in the same vein as Miley's, which is probably fueling her to keep going and standing by her "art" so that when others phase in and out of the spotlight she will remain true to her own style and imaging. She might dial it up and down based on culture trends (hence the DWUW video most likely dialing it up) but I do appreciate the fact that she's remaining pretty much unchanged regardless of what others are doing, for better or for worse.

It's too bad that Gaga's brand gets heavily affected by others in the game though. People have misinterpreted her performance art (and she IS performance art) for hiding behind crazy outfits to sell music and she won't live it down until a few albums down the road.

There will come a time when a pop star becomes established enough to earn respect from the masses. Beyonce didn't hit it until 2010. Before then people were STILL saying she was untalented, a hack, personality-less, generic. Now an overwhelming number of people recognize her as a new icon. Britney hit that in 2010 too. People saw her and said "it doesn't matter what she does, she's Britney fucking Spears." They aren't affected by other artists so much anymore (at least not in the eyes of the public) because they earned the respect of the masses through longevity and relevance. Lady Gaga will get there eventually and once she hits that mark people will see her for the queen freak that she is, but until then people will constantly be doubting and underestimating her drive and awareness. She'll get there.

Rihanna and Taylor Swift are the only pop stars right now whose success and presence has no effect on the other girls, and who remain unaffected themselves. Their singles/albums are huge, and yet no one says they're coming after someone's share. They're in a lane that I think Gaga should be in but sadly people refuse to put her there.

I want to believe that Gaga is all authenticity, but at times it's pretty clear she is trying to just snag a headline. And, honestly, there is nothing wrong with that. Artist come and go in the music industry overnight, and so it's important to keep the media and public interested in you long enough that you obtain millions and a status. Some girls do this with talent, some with gimmicks, and some with a mix...Gaga seems to fit into the latter. I would argue that Lady Gaga is already an icon just based off of her receipts prior to ARTPOP, but then you could also say that Paula Abdul is an icon or Cyndi Lauper or Jody Watley....stan wars had a really funny parody of this kind of logic. I don't know what would even be considered compromising for Lady Gaga. She has already taken off her clothes, she's worn a meat suit, the weird outfits, the hip injury, the celebrity beefs, the tons and tons of advertisings to get her music recognition. Let's think about this for a second: virtually all of gaga's music becomes attached to a commercial of some sort. This is a good thing for a commercial artist, so it isn't a problem. But I it really doesn't help her case in terms of doing things for just the music and not the charts.

You say her brand get's heavily affected by others, but I am not sure what this means. Do you mean like how she releases songs/videos and gets compared to other artist?

Touchdown

Banned
Lady Gaga has different fans than Taylor Swift and Rihanna for the most part I'm pretty sure. A lot of Taylor Swift's fans' parents are buying her music for them. Gaga worked her butt off for the promo of this album and I think it did deserve better sales week one but it still went to number one, and applause is still pretty successful overall as a lead single.

Kyon

Banned
Can we all take this time to remember Gaga is only 5 years into her career?

Food for thought and just reference for some who seem to forget how much she's accomplished in such a short amount of time

EDIT:

More Cologne set pics.

This is gonna be very different from her other videos I think

I get what you're trying to say here, and I do agree that Miley's transformation (or is it an unveiling?) has been the cause of most of the attention. However, you also brought up another interesting point that parallels Gaga's current situation: nearly three years after Born This Way, the things Gags is doing isn't nearly as provocative anymore. And if you say Gaga needs to start honing her vision of ARTPOP, that just makes me think that the era has been sloppy thus far. I also don't think Gaga should be copying/emulating anyone else either, but I suppose it is her duty as an ~art popist~ to be one with pop culture...even if it means copying them.

I want to believe that Gaga is all authenticity, but at times it's pretty clear she is trying to just snag a headline. And, honestly, there is nothing wrong with that. Artist come and go in the music industry overnight, and so it's important to keep the media and public interested in you long enough that you obtain millions and a status. Some girls do this with talent, some with gimmicks, and some with a mix...Gaga seems to fit into the latter. I would argue that Lady Gaga is already an icon just based off of her receipts prior to ARTPOP, but then you could also say that Paula Abdul is an icon or Cyndi Lauper or Jody Watley....stan wars had a really funny parody of this kind of logic. I don't know what would even be considered compromising for Lady Gaga. She has already taken off her clothes, she's worn a meat suit, the weird outfits, the hip injury, the celebrity beefs, the tons and tons of advertisings to get her music recognition. Let's think about this for a second: virtually all of gaga's music becomes attached to a commercial of some sort. This is a good thing for a commercial artist, so it isn't a problem. But I it really doesn't help her case in terms of doing things for just the music and not the charts.

You say her brand get's heavily affected by others, but I am not sure what this means. Do you mean like how she releases songs/videos and gets compared to other artist?

Well I do genuinely believe that her most shocking moments are done with a concise purpose in mind. I also believe that she's often not very good about driving that purpose home and making it stick (the Paparazzi VMA performance is an example of making your point stick, the meat dress is not). I understand that she's a performane artist who's also commercial so she has to tread the line between being outrageous for herself and being outrageous for the public, but I mean "compromising" in the sense of her being shocking for headlines first, with the purpose/agenda being peripheral. Even though her point can get lost in the shuffle the point is still always there. I don't think that quality is necessarily present with other performers, and the way that she (over)thinks so much of what she does is something that will reward her in the eyes of the public years down the road.

And her brand is affected by others because she launched to superstardom mostly through her image and not her music. Her music was popular of course, but she became a phenomenon because of her name more than her songs. Because of that, people are still having trouble respecting the music. Her presence in 2008 negatively affected adjacent acts (like Katy Perry, who even with two huge hits was barred from rising to superstardom because Gaga existed), in 2011 her music was panned partly because Adele came around and people decided that organic power ballads and pop-folk was the new thing. In 2013 she was positioned as someone in an equal lane to Katy Perry as if with the sole purpose of re-appropriating Katy Perry as the new head bitch, even though having a more successful single never meant being the bigger diva in the past. Bottom line, it seems that people are much less willing to give Lady Gaga the benefit of being authentic and I think her massive popularity meant pinning everyone's problems with pop music and superstardom in general on her and her brand. When people are tired of electro-pop they take it out on her, just like they did in 2011. And in 2013 when people decided that modern pop music is a hollow genre unworthy of much respect, they took it out on her because she's still (and will remain) the face of pop music. Calling her album "ARTpop" didn't help matters either. When you're the personification of an entire genre and you make the claim that pop is art, and people don't agree, they'll skin you before giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Trigger

Oh, I can definitely agree with a lot of that. She has lost some of her ability to be provocative post-BTW, and I do think this era has been sloppy in some regards. I haven't harped on either though since Gags has been shaded enough this era.

is arte really gone

I'll miss Arte. His post wasn't even that bad.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Some of Gaga's own explanations of her publicity stunts are pretty silly though. The meat dress was about gay rights? Okay.

Kyon

Banned
Some of Gaga's own explanations of her publicity stunts are pretty silly though. The meat dress was about gay rights? Okay.

I can't believe she LIED about it being real meat and was later exposed from the actual designer. Smh that was when I was in TURD mode tho so forgive me

Nemesis_

I can't believe she LIED about it being real meat and was later exposed from the actual designer. Smh that was when I was in TURD mode tho so forgive me

It was real meat, it was just cured or something so that it wasn't a wet sloppy mess.

And that Demi wouldn't eat her

511px-BeefCutFlank.svg.png

After she was done with it they apparently turned it into jerky for storage :air:

EDIT: The BTW Ball one wasn't real though. But I don't think she ever claimed otherwise.

Kyon

Banned
It was real meat, lol

It was real meat, it was just cured or something so that it wasn't a wet sloppy mess.

And that Demi wouldn't eat her

511px-BeefCutFlank.svg.png

After she was done with it they apparently turned it into jerky for storage :air:

EDIT: The BTW Ball one wasn't real though. But I don't think she ever claimed otherwise.

I defended the meat dress to my dying BREATHE too.

My life is a LIEEEE

09954248.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom