• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qazaq

Banned
Born This Way is awesome.

I feel like "Marry the Night" is a good example. It's not some brilliant song (I can't believe they considered releasing that first), and not one of her finest, but it's still a very good song particularly within the context of the record.

Seriously, going on the ride of the record, and going through Heavy Metal Lover and Electric Chapel? Hearing Highway Unicorn blaring on your car's studio bass system? Popping out of that heavy metal middle into Edge of Glory and You and I, two of the finest pop songs released in the past few years? Hair, with all its fun, silly, cheesy 80s goodness?

The Fame Monster is excellent because, yes, almost that entire record is full of literally smash hits all on their own. No doubt about it. You don't need any context to understand any of those smash songs.

Born This Way isn't quite like that. I'm not gonna replay Government Hooker over and over again.

But I feel like, as a package, going through the ride of Born This Way is where it really shines. It has a lot of very good (if albeit not fantastic) songs that work best within the context of the record.

Listen to the whole thing as one again.

I feel like "Marry the Night" is a good example. It's not some brilliant song (I can't believe they considered releasing that first), and not one of her finest, but it's still a very good song particularly within the context of the record.

Seriously, going on the ride of the record, and going through Heavy Metal Lover and Electric Chapel? Hearing Highway Unicorn blaring on your car's studio bass system? Edge of Glory and You and I, two of the finest pop songs released in the past few years? Hair, with all its fun, silly, cheesy 80s goodness?

The Fame Monster is excellent because, yes, almost that entire record is full of literally smash hits all on their own. No doubt about it.

Born This Way isn't quite like that. I'm not gonna replay Government Hooker over and over again.

But I feel like, as a package, going through the ride of Born This Way is where it really shines. It has a lot of very good (if albeit not fantastic) songs that work best within the context of the record.

I feel the same way about the album. I remember hearing it for the first time as a whole driving to San Francisco over night for a Kylie concert. Memories!

3phemeral

Always my fault.
iBgbBqTngme4p.jpg

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Seriously, going on the ride of the record, and going through Heavy Metal Lover and Electric Chapel? Hearing Highway Unicorn blaring on your car's studio bass system? Popping out of that heavy metal middle into Edge of Glory and You and I, two of the finest pop songs released in the past few years? Hair, with all its fun, silly, cheesy 80s goodness?

The Fame Monster is excellent because, yes, almost that entire record is full of literally smash hits all on their own. No doubt about it. You don't need any context to understand any of those smash songs.

Born This Way is her best album and like you said its incredible hearing it during road trips especially how it starts with Marry The Night and ends with The Edge of Glory.

I find it that every time I hear it during a trip I fall in love with a new song that I used to dislike, recently it happened with Electric Chapel.

Government Hooker is one of my favorite Gaga songs ever. I can't explain but it just makes me want to unleash my inner stripper. I actually prefer BTW to The Fame... <_< there's just a lot more songs I like on it. I'm sure I'll get dragged for this but my ranking would probably be BTW, Fame Monster, and then The Fame.

Partition

Banned
Government Hooker is one of my favorite Gaga songs ever. I can't explain but it just makes me want to unleash my inner stripper. I actually prefer BTW to The Fame... <_< there's just a lot more songs I like on it. I'm sure I'll get dragged for this but my ranking would probably be BTW, Fame Monster, and then The Fame.

Oh I agree entirely. She is improving with every album, and BTW will remain the best for 42 more days.

How come haim doesn't have an ot

also anyone listening to haim's new album
They do, I made it >_>

Speaking of that I need to update it.

Qazaq

Banned
Born This Way is her best album and like you said its incredible hearing it during road trips especially how it starts with Marry The Night and ends with The Edge of Glory.

I find it that every time I hear it during a trip I fall in love with a new song that I used to dislike, recently it happened with Electric Chapel.

This last listen to Born This Way on my road trip (to the Grand Canyon no less!) that happened with me and Bad Kids!!

I actually wasn't OVERLY excited for Artpop; Applause is a nice fun song but I was going to want to wait to hear a second or third single before getting excited... and then I listened to Born This Way in full again on a car stereo.

It's really fucking good.

Reminded me that Artpop is also likely going to be really good too.

Born This Way is infinitely better than The Fame.

The Fame Monster is tricky because it's just different. It's an album full of smash hit singles. Born This Way is a collective fantastic ALBUM.

Partition

Banned
TFM was better than BTW.

TFM is more consistent which is why people sway that way. The few odd tracks on BTW that arent totally great overshadow people's thoughts on the entire record as a whole.

The highs of BTW are vastly higher than the highs of TFM. I think TFM is a better pop record, but in terms of overall music, BTW takes the cake.

3phemeral

TFM is more consistent which is why people sway that way. The few odd tracks on BTW that arent totally great overshadow people's thoughts on the entire record as a whole.

The highs of BTW are vastly higher than the highs of TFM. I think TFM is a better pop record, but in terms of overall music, BTW takes the cake.
I completely agree with this. I think BTW could have been slimmed down. But there are so many differing opinions about which are the best tracks, I'm not sure how it could have been handled.

Partition

Banned
But there are so many differing opinions about which are the best tracks, I'm not sure how it could have been handled.

And that is why it is the better album. The fact it is discussed so often compared to her previous work, and how opinions on which tracks are the best completely differ person to person, shows that it is better than TFM. TFM is straightforward and shallow in comparison.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
This last listen to Born This Way on my road trip (to the Grand Canyon no less!) that happened with me and Bad Kids!!

I actually wasn't OVERLY excited for Artpop; Applause is a nice fun song but I was going to want to wait to hear a second or third single before getting excited... and then I listened to Born This Way in full again on a car stereo.

The Fame Monster is tricky because it's just different. It's an album full of smash hit singles. Born This Way is a collective fantastic ALBUM.

oh you must listen to the iTunes Festival set to get a better taste of ARTPOP

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Finally, a non-delusional voice in the room.

It's just baffling to me. How could someone with functioning ears not know this?

The Monsters seem to me much more committed than other stanbases to the idea that Gaga is 'just getting started' and each of her albums is getting better. I don't think any other stanbases have a problem saying that their faves' track records are not one of continual improvement.

Sex Dreams alone should make you excited for ARTPOP.

Also I agree that TFM was better than BTW. Don't get me wrong, I still really like BTW, but it bored me after Scheiße.

I Love you so much for this. I loved BTW and is my third fav Gaga album. Essentially this album is what made me a fan of hers finally after hating her for so many years.

She didn't do straight up manufactured pop but something that so culture clashing that I loved.

It had rock, electro, gospel, crazy unorganized beats, the lyrics in some of the songs were really good, and her infectious vocals were absolutely amazing.

I loved Bloody Mary, Highway Unicorn, Heavy Metal Lover, Electric Chapel which is still one of my all time favorite Gaga songs with Bloody Mary. I kind of liked Judas after a couple of times listening to it.

Like her BTW era was something different. It was that pop music that if someone other than lady gaga had sang it, the person who did.. would get a lot of praise for it.

I think part of the reason that it wasn't such a blockbuster like her previous albums was because it's kind of a radical approach and I think it threw people off because of her previous albums.
The problem with pop at that time was it was so... Repetitive and a lot of hits sounded the same at the time.

Her album definitely stood out and her visuals again also added to that. I loved it, still do and even though it's third because of the iconic hits of her first two, it still isn't a slouch and was a job well done for trying something different. I would say that was a growing moment for Gaga. Now I'm hoping ArtPOP can achieve the same level of quality that BTW had.

SaintZ

Right?? Haha

I don't really know her, but she seems kinda ratchet.
Be educated:

Work
Bounce
Change Your Life(NSFW)

I have been jammin' to Change Your Life this last month. The song grew on me.

tumblr_mstzlcLiwy1rxfpq8o1_500.gif

In other news: Sky Ferreira: 'I Know I'm Not a Drug Addict'

I won't sing something unless I mean it, and it's the same way when I'm writing. That's kind of always been the issue with me. It's a good thing, but it kind of can make me look crazy. Like when I'm on stage, like at Pitchfork [Music Festival] in July, I was sobbing through half of the set. I always cry when I'm on stage because I'm always thinking about what I'm singing.
Even before [the arrest] last week, people were already saying I was on drugs when I wasn't. A lot of it has to do with being in the wrong place at the wrong time and who I associate myself with and what not. But a lot of it is a bit hypocritical, too. I think that's what gets on my nerves the most.

How did you handle reports of the arrest being leaked? That couldn't have made things any easier.
It was a lot harder because people don't really know… I legally can't say much about what happened, but it's not what it all seems. I kind of got fucked with. And it's annoying because I wasn't charged with his heroin. It says it. The public records are out there. I wasn't charged with it. Trust me, if I was even anywhere near that, they would've charged me because they had no problem charging me with other shit. They were out to kind of like fuck with us. I'm scared to say more than that because I don't want them to arrest us anymore. I'm not saying they went out of their way to fuck with us, but like what happened wasn't… No one actually knows what happened besides Cole and I and the Saugerties police.
Ok Sky

iMyDojugEyRGG.gif

Phreaker

Phreaker sis, you're in for a surprise.

I hope so. I am not sure I've ever heard her sound good live.

Get drunk and high and get expectations lowered and maybe she will sound ok.

I'd love to, but I am at work right now. So I'll have to watch her sober.

Be educated:

Work
Bounce
Change Your Life(NSFW)

I have been jammin' to Change Your Life this last month. The song grew on me.

Thanks. I'll listen to them all tonight when I get home. I know I've heard her mentioned here a few times, but iTunes Fest was the first time I've seen her.

Eeeek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom