• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't know about Lorde anymore. She just joined the Azealia Banks club of basic hoes who need to know when to keep their comments to themselves. Coming for Lana Del Rey. The nerve...

Anyway, speaking of Azealia, she's really sealing her fate here. And it's all her stans' fault, tbh. Y'all hoes pumped up her ego and made her think that all this fueding she was doing was cute, and she listened to y'all thirsty behinds when in reality you guys were pointing her towards the nearest cliff to throw herself off of.

I said this damn-near a year ago: It's not so much that Azealia Banks is feuding, it's who she's feuding WITH that's the problem. If she wants to build her cred, she should have kept it cute and feuded with other up-and-coming artists. But nooooo, she's feuding with PRODUCERS and managers and INDUSTRY PEOPLE. She doesn't have a lick of cred to her name, but she's thinking she so hot shit that she can feud with people who actually DO have the power to cut her career hella short. She knows she was wrong for the open way she put Pharell and ATM Jam on blast (and they unfollowed each other on twitter last week. there goes ANOTHER bridge burned), but it's like she WANTS to go back to selling mixtapes and stolen iPod Nanos along the Hudson river.

I'm now 100% confident that this is the reason her album hasn't dropped yet (and probably never will in the way she originally intended). She's a NOBODY pissing off people in high places for no good reason, and now nobody wants to fuck with her. Way to go, dummy.

I'm calling it: Azealia Banks is done. This time next year she'll be lucky if her fame is potent enough to land her a spot on Big Brother: Kazakhstan.

Lorde has been annoying me a bit with her interviews lately but I can't deny she does great music. Her Lana talk is about how little girls shouldn't be listening to Lana and we all know Lana isn't trying to appeal to little girls. (Look at Katy Perry) She did bashed the content Lana writes cause it seems Lorde might be a feminist and some Lana lyrics are needy or attention seeking in her POV and that might look offensive to her. I can understand her not clicking them as then again not everyone will like what Lana does.

Declining Katy Perry tour I think she knows what her demographic is which doesn't fit at all with KP and maybe also her views don't go well with what Katy brings to the table. She is a smart girl but sometimes she needs to learn how to express her feelings, thoughts and POVs better.

I agree with everything you say about Azealia. She has talent but she made herself everyone's enemy and we know what happens around the industry when you behave like that. If she flops hard with the album she might go back to indie but I dont see big labels going after her thanks to her behavior and way of expressing her views.

royalan

What makes you think that? Is sliding out from the public view for some years really all it takes to kill an artists' relevance?

Didn't Let There Be Love do well on the Dance charts? I know it doesn't mean much but it at least says there is some commercial aspect to her music, she isn't being payed complete dust like Nelly for example.

Exactly.

It's easy to shade her because she really HASN'T been trying (until recently), but I think that everything Xtina has done musically in the last few years has performed well enough given the amount of effort she's been putting into her music (none at all).

The Your Body video was the most requested Pop video of 2012. Let There Be Love topped the dance charts, and the home-made video she recently made for it hit 8 million views on youtube in less than a week. And while people like to say that she has to look to other artists for radio relevance, the receipts don't speak to that. Pitbull released 6 singles from his last album, and the only TRULY successful one was "Feel This Moment" (the FOURTH single). And Maroon 5's recent surge in popularity was sparked by the success of "Moves Like Jagger" something that even Adam has credited her for.

Xtina's star has dimmed, yes, but she still got a lot of capital left. As Bill Werde said, she could still slay, she just has to WANT to. If Xtina decided that she wanted to slay, and put in that work, I honestly think she would slay no problem.

Partition

Banned
I don't mean to rain on the Britney parade but I just wanted to hear some opinions on this thing..

So my (future) boyfriend Louis Virtel wrote an admittedly scathing article about Britney Spears and the general pop scene, and ignoring the fact that he obviously just isn't a fan of hers, I can't help but finding myself to agree with the general points.

Hm, that essay was spot on imo. Basically if I would get my thoughts into the right words it would look like that.

That's why I can never get into Britney. There's just a lack of energy, participation, and a sense of void like something is just off when I listen to her music. Of course all that applies to her as a person too, but that's another story. And her fans tend to annoy me because they just cling to the past, it's all they have to cling to really; but they have no filter and no judgement when to let go and instead make excuses for why they like something (from what I've seen on Exhale/ATRL anyway). And judging by Work Bitch already I can tell she has no intention of being more involved or trying just a bit harder to be an actual artist.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hm, that essay was spot on imo. Basically if I would get my thoughts into the right words it would look like that.

That's why I can never get into Britney. There's just a lack of energy, participation, and a sense of void like something is just off when I listen to her music. Of course all that applies to her as a person too, but that's another story. And her fans tend to annoy me because they just cling to the past, it's all they have to cling to really; but they have no filter and no judgement when to let go (from what I've seen on Exhale/ATRL anyway). And judging by Work Bitch already I can tell she has no intention of being more involved or trying just a bit harder to be an actual artist.

But that's what makes the whole thing so good: her lack of energy, participation and the sense of void have managed to put out a lead single that makes you wonder what the hell Gaga was thinking with hers.

Kyon

Banned
I don't mean to rain on the Britney parade but I just wanted to hear some opinions on this thing..

So my (future) boyfriend Louis Virtel wrote an admittedly scathing article about Britney Spears and the general pop scene, and ignoring the fact that he obviously just isn't a fan of hers, I can't help but finding myself to agree with the general points.

Everything he says is pretty much EXACTLY what I've said in here about why I can't really get behind Britney, but I'm curious about whether you all care as much about the authenticity of a pop star (versus someone whose song quality is mostly/entirely dependent on producers and writers, making the pop star herself less of a priority in her work), or whether it doesn't really matter to you. At the end of the day we're all here for good music (the word "good" appropriated to our own tastes), but does KNOWING the authenticity of an artist make the song more valuable to you, or does it not matter? Wondering what the Brit stans think of this. lol

As your man said on the article Knee isn't PRETENTIOUS, CONNIVING, SELF ABSORBED, she's BLAND and NORMAL that's kind of her thing. People love Brit because she doesn't try to be something she's NOT. That's the problem with these BITCHES in pop lately they just can't keep their damn mouth SHUT and deliver the music.

Bitch does not preach about the gays, politics. She's just a southern Lilly girl wearing UGGS and lookin a MESS in public. That's AUTHENTIC. Yes she has bi polar disorder and she can't dance anymore but she's still Britney and people can't hate that.

Ever since Gaga came out preaching about writing her music this BANDWAGON of Turds preaching that anyone that doesn't write all their music is LESSOR is fucking. stupid, pretentious and elitist.

Frankly sick of those rats.

Plenty of Legends don't write shit and no one cares.

At the end of the day it's POP MUSIC and Gags and the other hoes need to stop tryin to make Pop music into a SERIOUS GENRE. Cause frankly BTW is a JOKE.

Yado

I don't know about Lorde anymore. She just joined the Azealia Banks club of basic hoes who need to know when to keep their comments to themselves. Coming for Lana Del Rey. The nerve...

Anyway, speaking of Azealia, she's really sealing her fate here. And it's all her stans' fault, tbh. Y'all hoes pumped up her ego and made her think that all this fueding she was doing was cute, and she listened to y'all thirsty behinds when in reality you guys were pointing her towards the nearest cliff to throw herself off of.

I said this damn-near a year ago: It's not so much that Azealia Banks is feuding, it's who she's feuding WITH that's the problem. If she wants to build her cred, she should have kept it cute and feuded with other up-and-coming artists. But nooooo, she's feuding with PRODUCERS and managers and INDUSTRY PEOPLE. She doesn't have a lick of cred to her name, but she's thinking she's so hot shit that she can feud with people who actually DO have the power to cut her career hella short. She knows she was wrong for the open way she put Pharell and ATM Jam on blast (and they unfollowed each other on twitter last week. there goes ANOTHER bridge burned), but it's like she WANTS to go back to selling mixtapes and stolen iPod Nanos along the Hudson river.

I'm now 100% confident that this is the reason her album hasn't dropped yet (and probably never will in the way she originally intended). She's a NOBODY pissing off people in high places for no good reason, and now nobody wants to fuck with her. Way to go, dummy.

I'm calling it: Azealia Banks is done. This time next year she'll be lucky if her fame is potent enough to land her a spot on Big Brother: Kazakhstan.

At this point I don't know if Azealia even wants to succeed. She hasn't shown that she's smart enough to "play the game" and no one with anything to lose is going to work with her because her brand is synonymous with mess. The Gaga situation was especially stupid because she didn't have to lash out after she didn't make the cut but she did anyway. Antics like that suggest to me that she really doesn't seem to care about "making it" there's nothing for an artist in her position to gain by beefing with someone like Gaga.

Partition

Banned
But that's what makes the whole thing so good: her lack of energy, participation and the sense of void have managed to put out a lead single that makes you wonder what the hell Gaga was thinking with hers.

But if Gaga chose her lead single it would be Gypsy. She had no say there, and Applause already sounds like one of weaker tracks on ARTPOP.

I don't like WB outside of the bridge, and the song has nothing without the production imo. I just can't get behind the talking verses which have no melody, and there is not a hook in sight. What that guy said was absolutely true, it just feels like it was half assed and like Britney simply e-mailed her vocals to the producer.

Vazra

Well at least now you know how the rest of us feel about 90% of Born This Way.

tumblr_m9ojumF4P31rvjyvjo1_500.gif

Partition

Banned
Well at least now you know how the rest of us feel about 90% of Born This Way.

But much of the production on BTW is so messy
tumblr_m5nnuiDCcZ1rwyjj5o1_100.png

Also a good example of a BTW song with kickass production, talking verses with melody, and a hook: Scheiße (what Work Bitch wishes it could be)

Artemisia

Banned
Madonna's reddit AMA is live. This is going to be messy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1mj1yl/amaa_ask_madonna_almost_anything/

Work Bitch is so uneventful, it's just Britney moseying her way through a repetitive, aggressive beat. She doesn't pull her weight at all, the song is all production. There's not much to it aside from that.

As your man said on the article Knee isn't PRETENTIOUS, CONNIVING, SELF ABSORBED, she's BLAND and NORMAL that's kind of her thing. People love Brit because she doesn't try to be something she's NOT. That's the problem with these BITCHES in pop lately they just can't keep their damn mouth SHUT and deliver the music.

Bitch does not preach about the gays, politics. She's just a southern Lilly girl wearing UGGS and lookin a MESS in public. That's AUTHENTIC. Yes she has bi polar disorder and she can't dance anymore but she's still Britney and people can't hate that.

Ever since Gaga came out preaching about writing her music this BANDWAGON of Turds preaching that anyone that doesn't write all their music is LESSOR is fucking. stupid, pretentious and elitist.

Frankly sick of those rats.

Plenty of Legends don't write shit and no one cares.

At the end of the day it's POP MUSIC and Gags and the other hoes need to stop tryin to make Pop music into a SERIOUS GENRE. Cause frankly BTW is a JOKE.

Well the essay literally said that there's nothing wrong with not writing your own material, as long as you're the active force behind your brand then it doesn't matter who writes what. And I do agree with that, a great pop star is a great pop star not because they write their own material but because they are a fully realized brand that exudes a certain quality that resonates with the mass. Britney's brand has obviously resonated with a lot of people over the years but I think he's making the point that Britney's brand has done so well not because of her so much as the team behind her. Meaning anyone could have had Britney's career if they had her team, which I also agree with. Britney as a TALENT is less of a presence in her work than someone like Beyonce or Madonna, who are very much the focal points of their work.

As Godel says though, not being someone who has to live up to her name can be seen as a good thing, and not having any kind of artistic vision for yourself and just focusing on pumping out catchy songs is a perfectly acceptable career route. I suppose the essay comes from a place of seeing genuinely talented people (both on the stage and behind the scenes) who have made a profound amount of impact on pop culture by being these respectable powerhouses, and then looking at someone like Britney Spears who doesn't have the authenticity or aristic merit to be compared with these other ladies, and it makes you want to respect her less because of it.

And that's why it's harder for me to say I'm a fan of Britney. I'm a fan of some of her songs, not most of them, and for me listening to a Britney song doesn't really make me want to listen to more Britney songs, because "Britney" herself isn't really that important. You can say that's a good thing, but when you're 10+ years in the business and still can't seem to muster overwhelming respect for being your own icon, it's kind of telling. Lady Gaga has gotten more respect from the media and her peers for being a pop talent than Britney has, and the latter's been around at least twice as long (not to mention has more career certifications, and is by far the more popular woman when comparing them at their respective peaks).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Work Bitch is so uneventful, it's just Britney moseying her way through a repetitive, aggressive beat. She doesn't pull her weight at all, the song is all production. There's not much to it aside from that.

I disagree. Her delivery is fire.

Vazra

Not every song needs to be meaningful sometimes we need the simplicity and that simplicity Britney brings it and makes it enjoyable with this single. It's a cute song that doesn't try hard to slay and that is what makes it likable.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Work Bitch's vocals sound effortless
I guess its up to the listener to decide whether it was made to sound that way to make her sound fierce, or just because Brit was putting in minimal effort

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How is it fire when it literally could of been replaced by any other pop girl and the song would of been entirely the same

Putting aside the fact that you're completely wrong about anyone else doing the same thing, the vocal delivery being fire doesn't mean that another person couldn't have done it, only that Britney is great on it.

Partition

Banned
Also the whole branding thing is another good point that article makes. What is Britney's brand exactly? Does she even know?

Katy has bubblegum pop and 11 year old girls, Kesha doesn't give a fuck, Madonna has snobby gays and older people, Gaga is ARTPOP and has the insecure gays, Rih is ratchet and has the urban audience, Bey is flawless and appeals to all the females and most of the gays, where is Britney? Maybe a decade ago we could come up with a clear answer.

Kyon

Banned
NONE of the other bitches could release WB and do this well.

NONE.

Except Rihanna

I'm not gonna ENTERTAIN FLOPS anymore tho. Let me FOCUS on my FAVE.
z9Fu88M.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Who needs a brand with albums as good as In The Zone and Blackout?

Y'all seem completely STEAM pressed that a girl who doesn't seem to put as much thought into being a pop star as your faves is so much better at BEING a popstar than your faves.

[edit] It's what PJ say on their About/Manifesto page. What I appreciate about Gaga is that she's a Gaga sort of pop star, and what I appreciate about Lana Del Rey is that she's a Lana Del Rey sort of pop star, and what I appreciate about Britney is that she's a Britney sort of pop star. Criticising Britney for not being a Gaga is like criticising Titanium for not being a piano ballad. It's not TRYING to be that.

Yado

NONE of the other bitches could release WB and do this well.

NONE.

Except Rihanna

I'm not gonna ENTERTAIN FLOPS anymore tho. Let me FOCUS on my FAVE.
z9Fu88M.png

Because it's shit and people don't expect much from Britney. Even Rihanna has enough artistic integrity not to talk over a track for a couple minutes and unleash on the world under the guise of a song.

i4FffcFiHzNlv.gif

Kyon

Banned
TURDS and eBey Bidders are SOMETHING ELSE.

The most DEPRESSED, OPRESSED, COMPRESSED bases on this earth.

TRASH just like your faves recent output or LACK THERE of
z9Fu88M.png

A JOKE. Even more so than my faves TRAGIC PERFORMANCES.

Artemisia

Banned
Y'all seem completely STEAM pressed that a girl who doesn't seem to put as much thought into being a pop star as your faves is so much better at BEING a popstar than your faves.

What on earth? Be honest here, what does a Britney stan have to look forward to aside from music? By contrast, a Gaga stan would look forward to live performances, music videos, and tours info alongside music.

Kyon

Banned
What on earth? Be honest here, what does a Britney stan have to look forward to aside from music? By contrast, a Gaga stan would look forward to live performances, music videos, and tours info alongside music.

What in the absolute FUCK are you talking about?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I like how you say 'aside from music' as though that isn't the most important part or anything.

I see your point though. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that she is much better at being a pop star. But still, she puts out great music, and I'll always have time for her for that. I guess I don't see why it bothers people so much that people like Britney?

Trigger

Mau ®;82196641 said:
She looked so flawless that night

I truly stan the most beautiful pop girl to ever walk the Earth

oprah-tears-tissue.gif

Why do other girls even try in a world with Rihanna?

The Queen is on another level.

oprah-tears-tissue.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I like how you say 'aside from music' as though that isn't the most important part or anything.

I see your point though. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that she is much better at being a pop star. But still, she puts out great music, and I'll always have time for her for that. I guess I don't see why it bothers people so much that people like Britney?

It doesn't bother me. I just took issue with you saying that she functions better as a popstar, when that just isn't true. There's a lot more to being a popstar than music.

What in the absolute FUCK are you talking about?

That when it comes to performances, tours, music videos, people don't expect much from Britney at all. Music is the only compelling aspect of her that is left.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It doesn't bother me. I just took issue with you saying that she functions better as a popstar, when that just isn't true. There's a lot more to being a popstar than music.
Shrug, I think the basics of it is the music. The rest is good but if I didn't like the music I don't care about the rest. I think that's the problem with post-TFM Gaga, really.

oh the irony
z9Fu88M.png

nnnnnnnnnn

Mau ®;82199385 said:
I really liked W.E. Very good film imo.

ihTaSFVXJWFpl.gif

Fey

Banned
Mau ®;82199385 said:
Hasn't she already directed a film though?

I really liked W.E. Very good film imo.

Is there a transcript of the entire interview?

Yeah. ._. Someone commented about how much they loved it and want her to direct a movie again and that was her response.

She needs to focus on her music career tbh, or else it'll take 4-5 years just to get MDNA quality albums.

It's all here, you have to go through and find her replies. I have no idea if it's still going on, but my questions would probably be buried in the sea of posts anyways. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom