• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yall say that about every Katy B song, BYE.

Did she lie tho?
cat_zpsa5a1f50a.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the production is FIRE

altho i can't tell whether it sounds like this because it's how's it's supposed to sound or because of low bitrate

royalan

Sky Ferreira seems like she would be a really exciting person to know.

Sky Ferreira strikes me as the kind of girl who thinks she's more interesting than she actually is, and everyone reads her as the girl who comes to the party and stands awkwardly in the corner waiting for the drugs to show up.

Vazra

Sky Ferreira strikes me as the kind of girl who thinks she's more interesting than she actually is, and everyone reads her as the girl who comes to the party and stands awkwardly in the corner waiting for the drugs to show up.

Screaming. Probably accurate.

Kyon

Banned
0916-britney-spears-2.jpg

Britney Spears will spill the beans about her upcoming Vegas spectacular tomorrow, TMZ has learned -- and the announcement itself will be an extravaganza in the middle of nowhere.

We're told Britney will unveil plans for her big new Planet Hollywood show from an undisclosed location in the Mojave desert at around 4AM PT, and it will be broadcast live on "GMA."

It's going to be huge -- 1,350 participants will be bused from Vegas to the desert. And get this ... all attendees must be between 5' and 6' tall ... we don't know why.

As for Brit ... she'll be arriving via helicopter.

All told, we've learned the show announcing the show will cost roughly $100,000 -- including $27,176 to bus all the people (28 buses total), $4,200 for tents, and $5,154 for craft services ... which includes 2,100 bottles of water, coffee, 918 Gatorades, and 567 Red Bulls

We're told Britney will be performing her new single "Work Bitch," and she'll then blast specifics about her new show that debuts in December. In case you can't wait, we have a bunch of particulars, including what she'll be raking in.

-- TMZ

THE PROMO, HER ACTUAL CONFIDENCE FOR THE PROJECT THIS ERA BECAUSE SHE'S MAKING THE ALBUM SHE'S BEEN TRYING TO MAKE FOR YEARS NOW.

HER TEAM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT AFTER THE LAST ERA DISASTER MESS.

ALL WE NEED IS FOR DIS BITCH TO BEND HER KNEES AND I CAN HAVE MY GIRL BACK.

IM PRAYING AND CRYING

royalan

k5dRCOG.jpg

HEEEEEEELP

Yeah, I'm ready for Britney to give us more life and creativity. This is a near-exact replication of the "sitting on a cushiony chair/couch/bed and blankly staring into the camera with long blonde extensions" pose she's been giving us since Circus era. I worry that Britney isn't REALLY back when I see images like this. ;___;

Yeah, I'm ready for Britney to give us more life and creativity. This is a near-exact replication of the "sitting on a cushiony chair/couch/bed and blankly staring into the camera with long blonde extensions" pose she's been giving us since Circus era. I worry that Britney isn't REALLY back when I see images like this. ;___;

Yeah, when I hear something like "Work Bitch" I'm imagining her with a fierce head piece over a lace-front wig, a sequined corset, and some 8 inch pumps. I wanna see her look as sickening as the song sounds. This picture is such lukewarm soup water in comparison.

Stop giving me demure blonde housewife. I want some shock for a change.

EDIT: Need more this:

britney-spears-fantasy-twist-perfume-commercial-3-1024x580.jpg

Kyon

Banned

Sis don't you know her album covers and shoots are mostly and have been shit? ;_;

Also FYI the Photographer for FF shoot was confirmed for the new album shoot a few days ago so that's another reason why it looks Ff-ish. Although this time Britney looks like she cares and her hair looks WASHED and her face doesnt look a bloated MESS so I can't argue

EDIT: oh and no SMOKY EYE BS either (for now) thank GOD

Vazra

Yeah she knows it's shit but it's what the label wants to push.

I think that's why sometimes being indie ends up being better than being on a big label. Azealia IMO could do her own shit with a indie team. Her incompetence still will exist but at least she will do what she pleases to do.

Yado

I hope she has more control over Fantasea II since it's a mixtape.

Fantasea II is probably going to be better. I think BBD was what her label wanted to go with at first and I still think it makes a better single than what they chose. It's more "traditional" than Yung Rapunxel but at least her rhymes are accessible and it has enough repetition to appeal to people.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if her and the label are pretty much done when (if) this album comes out.

Aguila

#ICONIC
lorde-billboard-650-430.jpg

The song by the 16-year-old New Zealand singer/songwriter passes Alanis Morissette's 'You Oughta Know' for the longest command for a No. 1 by a lead female soloist

With the appropriately titled "Royals," Lorde scores the longest domination on Billboard's Nielsen BDS-based Alternative Songs chart by a woman (credited as a lead artist). "Royals" leads the list for a sixth week, passing the five-week reign of Alanis Morissette's fellow U.S. breakthrough hit "You Oughta Know" in 1995. (x)

AND it seems she's going to start promotion soon. She'll be on Jimmy Fallon.
She has done NO promo in the US as of now.

Pray for your faves.
tehe.gif

THE PROMO, HER ACTUAL CONFIDENCE FOR THE PROJECT THIS ERA BECAUSE SHE'S MAKING THE ALBUM SHE'S BEEN TRYING TO MAKE FOR YEARS NOW.

HER TEAM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT AFTER THE LAST ERA DISASTER MESS.

ALL WE NEED IS FOR DIS BITCH TO BEND HER KNEES AND I CAN HAVE MY GIRL BACK.

IM PRAYING AND CRYING
The tall people oppression, though. 😭

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
It is warming to know that Azealia is self aware
The only reason atmjam got pushed is because of Pharrell and it was such a mistake

I want Miss Amor/Camarederie(sp?) for the next single, shes been talking about them for ages so she obviously really likes them

3phemeral

I swear, I don't have anything against Beyonce:

idTBxegQID0oL.gif

Oops I forgot to tag. Can you girls change your quoted posts for me? Bless.

Partition

Banned
The rise of so many Hews in pop music in the past year (Lorde, Carly Rae, Macklemore, Lana, PSY, etc) or so really makes the point clear that the name of an artist doesn't matter so much anymore; as long as the song is good and marketable it will do well. That's probably a result of the hyper digital age we live in now.

Can we really blame the commercial disappointments of Gaga, Beyoncé, and Xtina for example on the fact that they have "faded"? Or maybe they just haven't released a song that jives with the public in a while. Any one of them can come back and snatch wigs.

royalan

AND it seems she's going to start promotion soon. She'll be on Jimmy Fallon.
She has done NO promo in the US as of now.

Pray for your faves.
tehe.gif

I don't know about Lorde anymore. She just joined the Azealia Banks club of basic hoes who need to know when to keep their comments to themselves. Coming for Lana Del Rey. The nerve...

Anyway, speaking of Azealia, she's really sealing her fate here. And it's all her stans' fault, tbh. Y'all hoes pumped up her ego and made her think that all this fueding she was doing was cute, and she listened to y'all thirsty behinds when in reality you guys were pointing her towards the nearest cliff to throw herself off of.

I said this damn-near a year ago: It's not so much that Azealia Banks is feuding, it's who she's feuding WITH that's the problem. If she wants to build her cred, she should have kept it cute and feuded with other up-and-coming artists. But nooooo, she's feuding with PRODUCERS and managers and INDUSTRY PEOPLE. She doesn't have a lick of cred to her name, but she's thinking she's so hot shit that she can feud with people who actually DO have the power to cut her career hella short. She knows she was wrong for the open way she put Pharell and ATM Jam on blast (and they unfollowed each other on twitter last week. there goes ANOTHER bridge burned), but it's like she WANTS to go back to selling mixtapes and stolen iPod Nanos along the Hudson river.

I'm now 100% confident that this is the reason her album hasn't dropped yet (and probably never will in the way she originally intended). She's a NOBODY pissing off people in high places for no good reason, and now nobody wants to fuck with her. Way to go, dummy.

I'm calling it: Azealia Banks is done. This time next year she'll be lucky if her fame is potent enough to land her a spot on Big Brother: Kazakhstan.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I swear, I don't have anything against Beyonce:

ibwA6zW4IgQRKb.gif

File does not exist?
Or am I missing some joke

AZEALIA BANKS ‏@AZEALIABANKS 49m
@Khalilology partly because I don't have a 360 deal. They get none of my show money. So I get to make lots of money outside my deal.

Not bad tbh, explains why shes been constantly on tour. Work Bitch

AZEALIA BANKS ‏@AZEALIABANKS 50m
@Khalilology but yeah, I don't get the FULL push, because I don't pay the label any of my touring. So I get to cake up and be artsy! #yay!

I guess its not ideal but whatever works for her
I doubt her label would give her much push even if they did get her tour dolla

I don't mean to rain on the Britney parade but I just wanted to hear some opinions on this thing..

So my (future) boyfriend Louis Virtel wrote an admittedly scathing article about Britney Spears and the general pop scene, and ignoring the fact that he obviously just isn't a fan of hers, I can't help but finding myself to agree with the general points.

The Backlot said:
Recently Celine Dion gave an interview to Billboard in which she made an offhand comment about the songs on her new album, noting, “I’m at the mercy of the songs because I don’t write my material… but I could not believe what I was hearing.”

It made me realize how rare it is that a pop star simply owns the fact that he/she doesn’t write her own material. What’s the shame in it? I don’t expect Celine Dion to write her songs. She gave us “That’s the Way It Is” and the air guitar performance of “You Shook Me All Night Long” at VH1′s Divas Live and that’s all I’ve ever needed from her.

But Celine Dion represents her immense stardom with a phenomenal voice, a gift for song interpretation, candor, and general awesomeness. Whitney Houston, also a superstar who didn’t write her songs, was the same way. Even Katy Perry, whose recent hit “Roar” is about as anodyne a pop tune as I’ve heard in the past year, inspires fanaticism because she’s a quirky performer. This week, as I finally heard Britney Spears’ much-ballyhooed new single “Work B**ch!” and watched the inevitable onslaught of praise from her admirers on Facebook, it seemed ridiculous — here, in 2013, as she gets another opportunity to release music in which her vocal contributions feel like very last-minute additions to a recording session she may have never attended in the first place — not to question what her most ardent fans think Britney’s quantifiable merits are.

I don’t demand that pop stars have the range of Marian Anderson or even the sheer vocal power of Adele or Beyonce. Madonna‘s vocal limits have always been clear, but that has always — always, even during the Evita era — been beside the point. Madge’s showmanship, self-possession, and nerviness are her clear and immortal gifts. Even Kylie Minogue, who won’t draw any comparisons to Mariah Carey in terms of vocal achievement any time soon, is simply fabulous because she embraces the sheer effervescence and lightness of pop. She probably doesn’t write much of her music, but she’s fully engaged and present as a pop vocalist and performer. She represents herself and her brand of glamorous cool in every bit of stylized “Can’t You Get Out Of My Head” choreography and pouty lyric of “Get Outta My Way.” As an anti-glamor hero, Ke$ha writes her nutty, purposely trashy material, and represents a sexualized and feminist point of view with each snarl of “Blah, Blah, Blah” and “Sleazy.” Britney Spears can’t claim to represent herself as a performer, a singer, a pop culture entity, or even as a judge on X Factor, where she was paid eight figures to say almost nothing and look confused as she did it.

I’ve loved certain Britney Spears songs. “Toxic” was a rightful Grammy winner for Best Dance Recording, Blackout is a great pop album, and “How I Roll” off her last disc Femme Fatale is, as one of my astute pals noted, “Janet Jackson‘s ‘Strawberry Bounce’ meets Liz Phair‘s ‘Whip-Smart’ in a Sanrio store.” Clearly Britney has amazing producers, songwriters, and handlers on her side. But it would be ridiculous to say that because of those connections I’m a fan of hers when she is such a passive participant in her own brand. Her vocals still sound like one of the Rugrats gurgling into a fan, and I’ll be damned if I’ve ever heard her vocals performed live (aside from that time on X Factor when she sang “Happy Birthday” to LA Reid and it sounded like this).

What are Britney fans holding on to? Those ‘stans’ who use the hashtag #GODNEY on Twitter and make constant references to the (admittedly funny) “holy Spearit”? Is it her 2000 VMAs performance of “Satisfaction” and “Oops!… I Did It Again” where she looked great and hit all the choreography well enough? Is it the sexy video for “I’m a Slave 4 U”? Maybe it’s just that Britney’s core fanbase has “grown up with her” at this point, but I’m willing to bet there’s a more sarcastic point of view in play.

Lady Gaga‘s “Applause” might not be her greatest single, but the recent and fiery backlash against Ms. Germanotta has had the distinct air of resentment. As in: “Stop trying so hard, lady. You can’t make us like you with your purposely outrageous ideas and self-awareness. You’re not smarter than we are.” Britney fandom seems to represent an opposing principle, a cry of “You can’t make me not love Britney Spears. She can screw up her choreography and sing terribly, but — HA! — I’ll still stan for her.” It’s as if Britney’s most aggressive fans enjoy an ironic, condescending, cooler-than-thou attitude towards their star and feel defiant about that worship when it’s actually just casual patronization.

Despite all of Britney’s fumbles, the one thing she’s never been is “annoying,” that barb leveled exclusively at female performers like Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Ke$ha, artists who choose to flaunt their self-awareness at the expense of being dismissed as obnoxious. Britney does not flaunt, and her fans feel comfortable loving exactly that fact: She’s a bland starlet who will never upset the status quo by wanting to be more than bland or by exercising the self-awareness to own being bland in the first place.

Maybe it’s that we’re so inundated with new artists, talent and music that loving Britney feels somehow quaint. But I’d prefer ’80s Madonna for nostalgic charms, as I like watching performers who take to the stage to express themselves, not unintentionally represent the boring cynicism of their supposed fans.

Everything he says is pretty much EXACTLY what I've said in here about why I can't really get behind Britney, but I'm curious about whether you all care as much about the authenticity of a pop star (versus someone whose song quality is mostly/entirely dependent on producers and writers, making the pop star herself less of a priority in her work), or whether it doesn't really matter to you. At the end of the day we're all here for good music (the word "good" appropriated to our own tastes), but does KNOWING the authenticity of an artist make the song more valuable to you, or does it not matter? Wondering what the Brit stans think of this. lol

Artemisia

Banned
but royalan, where is the flop girl group post

Preorder Days Are Gone and buy Flatline on iTunes.

The rise of so many Hews in pop music in the past year (Lorde, Carly Rae, Macklemore, Lana, PSY, etc) or so really makes the point clear that the name of an artist doesn't matter so much anymore; as long as the song is good and marketable it will do well. That's probably a result of the hyper digital age we live in now.

Can we really blame the commercial disappointments of Gaga, Beyoncé, and Xtina for example on the fact that they have "faded"? Or maybe they just haven't released a song that jives with the public in a while. Any one of them can come back and snatch wigs.

I agree with this, but I think there's a point where the public thinks they have seen everything there is about a certain artist and shelves them away. Gaga and Beyonce aren't at that point, but imo, Xtina's days of solo relevance are over.

royalan

Preorder Days Are Gone and buy Flatline on iTunes.

I agree with this, but I think there's a point where the public thinks they have seen everything there is about a certain artist and shelves them away. Gaga and Beyonce aren't at that point, but imo, Xtina's days of solo relevance are over.

You might want to revise that.

Partition

Banned
Preorder Days Are Gone

imo, Xtina's days of solo relevance are over.

What makes you think that? Is sliding out from the public view for some years really all it takes to kill an artists' relevance?

Didn't Let There Be Love do well on the Dance charts? I know it doesn't mean much but it at least says there is some commercial aspect to her music, she isn't being payed complete dust like Nelly for example.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Actually I think that's kind of Britney's greatest strength. She isn't really bogged down by trying to 'be Britney', and that's why she's put down some of the most consistently incredible pop music. She can go from Ooh La La to Work Bitch in the space of a single and because she isn't wasting time constructing a careful image, nobody blinks twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom