• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The Japanese cover of Mariah's new album:

mariah-carey-elusive-chanteuse.jpeg

b3d79dc8.gif

what is today the day to announce your shit alberm cover

SaintZ

New interview with Lana about her life growing up and Ultraviolence.
She went through a painful period of writer's block while touring after the release of Born to Die, "trying to write things that I thought would be more accessible," and for a while she doubted whether she would release another record. "It's this feeling that comes over you, like falling in love," she says of the inspiration to write. "You have to get that sensation."

That feeling returned when she met Dan Auerbach, of rock group the Black Keys, who wound up producing her new album. Del Rey had been feeling for a while that there was something missing from her sound, "a fuzzy guitar tone that I couldn't bring on my own". Upon meeting Dan, she thought, "Maybe this is my guy!"
Bless Dan for inspiring ha.

I like the UV cover. It feels subdued and understated on purpose, given the contrast with a name as high-strung and intense as "ULTRAVIOLENCE." I like that it's candid. Stripping away all the theater and drama from the imagery honestly makes the content of the album seem like it's gonna be really powerful. It's like a blank slate... I have no idea what to expect now going in.

Ya'll need to just

Nemesis_

I like the UV cover. It feels subdued and understated on purpose, given the contrast with a name as high-strung and intense as "ULTRAVIOLENCE." I like that it's candid. Stripping away all the theater and drama from the imagery honestly makes the content of the album seem like it's gonna be really powerful. It's like a blank slate... I have no idea what to expect now going in.

Ya'll need to just

sis stop usually i am here for your deconstructions but this is too much

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The wonders of technology!

Also, let's discuss...

beyonce-i-am-sasha-fierce.jpg

incredible

beythiefonce (i call her this because her name is beyonce and she is a thief) is now so efficient at stealing the works of other, better artists that she has discovered how to steal things years before they actually happen

are there any depths that disgusting woman will not sink to???

Ya'll need to just

iAaJTVN1qyhUV.gif

SaintZ

Ya'll need to just
lanaooguoe.gif

I don't even use Lana and I know what she was going for.

Did you expect a bloody corpse with roses hanging from its gouged eye sockets?

Contrast and subversion, guys. Contrast and subversion.

Nemesis_

I expected violent imagery but artistically beautiful violent imagery. It's hard to explain >_>

cory64

Nothing subversive about a nothing picture. There's lots she could have done to subvert the album title but she ended up ignoring it completely.

Ahasverus

Mariah is only 44 or 45 and still young, but these days we're lucky if she just stands on stage while she lips and flails her way through a song. Some days she's only capable of kneeling or laying down, mouthing to a track. In her latest video she won't even allow her full body to be videoed because videoshop has yet to be invented. In ten years who knows what she'll be still capapble of. She could be a cartoon projected onto a big screen opening up for a weathered down Lady Gaga still tweeting about how ArtPop II is coming.

The dignified thing to do would be to marry a rich man no one knows and go into hiding like Janet did. She should not be trying it with girls half her age who can still move.
Do you judge quality of music for arm waving and leg synchronization?

1366658346814.gif

Music is for ears.

Mother of God I'm already responding with tumblr gifs, I should get out of here :p )

Now that is a terrible cover
she knows she doesn't even have to try.

They wanted to see something that depicted violence but that also didn't depict any violence because that would be too literal and if it's literal then it's trash unless it's not literal at all to which it will also be trash.

lol

Aguila

#ICONIC
I don't know what to think.

I wish the pic was clearer/sharper at least. A photograph can be black and white and not be a noisy mess, Lana sis.

Partition

Banned
Please seek help, you must be the only person on earth to not use the deluxe cover

I don't use the deluxe cover either. Ha bike is iconic a bit, and the full picture captures the sound of the album better, whereas the cropped version doesn't really do much for me.

The deluxe artwork is basic as fuck. A close-up of her brow-less and screaming doesn't really represent the sound. Windows 95 Clipart over a metallic black-and-white motorcycle-Ga? That's exactly as random, loud and unpretty as the music. I didn't like it at first, and it was still an opportunity wasted, but I love it now for what it is.

Partition

Banned
The deluxe artwork is basic as fuck. A close-up of her brow-less and screaming doesn't really represent the sound. Windows 95 Clipart over a metallic black-and-white motorcycle-Ga? That's exactly as random, loud and unpretty as the music. I didn't like it at first, and it was still an opportunity wasted, but I love it now for what it is.

I've always defended her bike cover since the meltdowns on GGD when it was revealed, and I still love it. It's exactly the kind wackiness and creative spirit I want to see from her.

The ARTPOP cover is a sad attempt at trying to make something 'iconic' looking again.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
and if the men in white coats are coming
I know you'll still be there for me
to chase down the wolves around us
I'll keep the memories inside my mind
to show me how to leave the darkness
you will take me home one day
believe me
Glee1.gif

Mumei

i like the BTW cover, i feel like it was the last time Gaga did something awful on purpose

Do you really believe it was intentionally bad, after all the bad things that weren't intentional?

hmmhmmhmmhmmmmmm hannibal is on my list of shows to watch this summer. is it really as good as they say?

LarryButz-thought.gif

It is very good. The beginning is more episodic, with less emphasis on the more serialized elements, but that's most a consequence of it being set-up for the rest of the show. If that sort of thing bothers you, give it some time to grow out of that phase.

Vitanimus

hmmhmmhmmhmmmmmm hannibal is on my list of shows to watch this summer. is it really as good as they say?

LarryButz-thought.gif

It's AMAZING. The first season takes a very "killer of the week" approach but opens up a lot more near the end. Season two is near perfection.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
there is a Gagavision where they are talking about the cover, there you can judge whether the motive was for it to be intentionally awful or not

I am not going to link it tho

iSESPBqaTE2L1.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Do you really believe it was intentionally bad, after all the bad things that weren't intentional?

Well I mean she obviously knows what a good cover looks like because

There's clearly a difference between being intentionally trashy and being unintentionally trash. I mean, the Sex Pistols knew that what they were doing was not high art. The impression I get from ARTPOP is that a wheel came off somewhere, not that it was intended to be like it is.

Partition

Banned
So over the past two weeks, I held a tournament on my site to determine what the "Best Gaga Song" was. I took all her songs that have been officially released, and randomized the list to determine the starting match-ups. The results were surprising, to say the least...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom