• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been waiting to hear this album for so long, it was worth the wait.

ib2y152Fe3AJCX.gif

4mYNsT9.png

Ya'll need to check this album out.

Kyla La Grange - Cut Your Teeth (stream)

Cannibals*-*

iGGnI5f4gYHf8.gif

Cannibals, Maia, Cut Your Teeth, Fly, I Don't Hate You, The Knife, White Doves, Never That Young, Get It.

I like the whole album, what kind of slayage. Looking forward to hearing the four songs on the deluxe edition.

royalan

I almost forgot about that RED review. Reading it again, I'm actually surprised at how positive I was about a lot of the songs. I still feel the same about it overall, though:

Taylor Swift is clearly entering a harrowing point in her career where she's torn between evolving as an artist and a woman, and hanging on to her country tween fanbase that made her famous. It's a transition that many women who started out young in the business do not survive (poor brave LeAnn Rimes), so trepidation is a bit understandable.

Nevertheless, Taylor needs to make a choice, because with RED she attempts to have her cake and eat it too, and the result is an album that is a strange mixture of messy AND boring that I previously did not think possible. The songs are boring and safe to the point of pandering, and if Taylor Swift is an artist known for her superb songwriting I don't see it here. Many of these songs contain lyrics that read as though they were directly ripped from a preteen, love-obsessed girl's Xanga from 1999. And that might be interesting coming from a 17-year-old just coming into the industry all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. But, when you're a woman in your 20s who's becoming more and more known for making the rounds through some of Hollywood's hottest (and horniest) bachelors, a little evolution is not only expected, but required. Not saying she needs to become the next Rihanna, but the virgin-like innocence she's selling in RED, with only tiny peeks at the woman she's growing into, is becoming dishonest. And never before has Taylor's songs felt more stilted as a result.

I honestly feel like this is going to be addressed with her next album. We're going to get an undeniably more adult Taylor next go around. I don't think even she believes she can keep pushing the "I'm 16! I swear!" angle anymore.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's hilarious that the fighturds drag Britney for being lethargic when literally all their fave does any more is sit in a chair

royalan

Sis,

She SERVED that season.

But I'll always have a special place in my heart for Fantina Headpiecelera ;____;

MHQwC4N.jpg

YFptDdy.jpg

Tot76VF.jpg

Almost every look she wore that season was just so damn SILLY. But I love to think of her as having been in on the joke. Someone asked Linda Perry via Twitter recently to describe Christina in 3 words:

4VYAoqP.png

That's my fave...;___;

Bladenic

I've seen the world, lit it up
As my stage now
Channeling angels in the new age now
Hot summer days, rock 'n' roll
The way you play for me at your show
And all the ways I got to know
Your pretty face and electric soul

This song is still makes me (want to) cry. SOTY2013.

3phemeral

She made the only version of I Knew You Were Trouble I could tolerate. She still has potential but that last album was a complete disaster with only 2 decent songs.
Unfortunate, because I really would love to see her use that voice more effectively.

[fake edit] OO, listening to this version of Trouble while replying is not bad so far.

Is there any place on the interwebs where I can see the meteorite performance?

Only vids of a few seconds. As expected, she lips the very last part, and the whistle sounds out of tune, but I'm not sure what's going on since the vid is so short and inundated with fan screams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom