• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlantis

I've seen the world, lit it up
As my stage now
Channeling angels in the new age now
Hot summer days, rock 'n' roll
The way you play for me at your show
And all the ways I got to know
Your pretty face and electric soul

This song is still makes me (want to) cry. SOTY2013.

I had to listen a few times once the weather got warm, what a Summer anthem.
02ISp2L.gif

mk8-2mxucm.gif

I think this is everyone so far. Who else here is getting Mario Kart 8?

GAF Name : NNID

Supermanisdead: Supermanizdead
Aguila: Agui1a
Gravelord_Nito: Gravelord_Nito18
Booty Patrol: 212Banks
JCX: MetroidManX
Satch: satchy
DMeisterJ: DMeisterJ
<+)O Robido O(+>: r0b1d0
Koodo: Koodoe
Nemesis: Nemesis556

cha_kinopio.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I joke about not liking Coldplay but some people have been harsh to the point of mean spiritedness tbh. I mean P4K actually made a podcast episode called 'Why Coldplay's new album is terrible'. I get that you can not like the album (I don't) but going in that hard on an alber that is a man talking and writing about the end of his relationship with the mother of his children is a bit much tbh.

royalan

I joke about not liking Coldplay but some people have been harsh to the point of mean spiritedness tbh. I mean P4K actually made a podcast episode called 'Why Coldplay's new album is terrible'. I get that you can not like the album (I don't) but going in that hard on an alber that is a man talking and writing about the end of his relationship with the mother of his children is a bit much tbh.

A lot of the songs on Lotus are about Christina's divorce. Does that mean you're going to stop dragging it now? :)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
shrug, i drag her for kicks. i don't genuinely dislike anyone (except people who are awful ppl (bruises)) in pop

but i still think that musically she's basically b-tier

Hooray for Iggy! Even though The New Classic was rather underwhelming, Fancy is an excellent song and I can listen to it twenty times on repeat, which is what counts. Charli XCX, her power. Truly the next Featuretina if it all goes tits up.

Apparently Lily Allen's next single is URL Badman. Although I cannot overstate how much of a disappointment Sheezus was, URL Badman is probably the only usable song on the standard version of the album. (Miserable Without Your Love from the deluxe is genuinely pretty good tho)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hooray for Iggy! Even though The New Classic was rather underwhelming, Fancy is an excellent song and I can listen to it twenty times on repeat, which is what counts. Charli XCX, her power. Truly the next Featuretina if it all goes tits up.

Apparently Lily Allen's next single is URL Badman. Although I cannot overstate how much of a disappointment Sheezus was, URL Badman is probably the only usable song on the standard version of the album. (Miserable Without Your Love from the deluxe is genuinely pretty good tho)

Everytime I try to listen to Sheezus I always give up partway through and start listening to Alright, Still or It's Not Me, It's You instead :/

Mau ®

Sheezus is indeed bad.

But the girl I'm dating loves it so much. She hardcore stans her. I just can't bring myself to say it sucks :/

Yeah, don't even bother tbh

It's just one great big misfire.

Especially Silver Spoon, I don't think she understands how braggadocio in rap comes from a socio-economic background of cultural oppression, not white girls with good backgrounds. It's really sour and I don't think she understands how she comes across, even if I do sort of understand where she's coming from. I didn't even realise her background was a criticism of her until she addressed it with a terrible song.

Or maybe I've just misunderstood the point of the song, listening to it made me uncomfortable so I only did it once or twice.

Idek, stream of consciousness.

Mau ®

"Dark Horse" is Katy's longest running top 10 :O

Weeks in top ten
1. Dark Horse, 21
2. E.T., 20
3. Firework, 18
3. Hot N Cold, 18
5. Roar, 17
5. California Gurls, 17
7. Teenage Dream, 14
7. I Kissed A Girl, 14
9. Wide Awake, 13
10. Last Friday Night, 12
11. The One That Got Away, 11
12. Part of Me, 9
13. Waking Up In Vegas, 4
14. Unconditionally, 0
14. Thinking of You, 0

To think she actually DIDN'T want it as a single. lol

Yes at my two favourite Katy Perry songs in the top two.

I don't really care for Uncondishunully or Thinking of You, so I'm glad they never Top Tenned.

Christina Aguilera released the ironically-titled 'Keeps Getting Better' after her third studio album. I wonder when La Perra will release her greatest hits? It's a guaranteed #1 imo.

Whose greatest hits would do better, Rihanna or Katy Perry? I really couldn't call it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

YASSS
By far the best track on the album, she performed it last weekend too
Co-Signed re Iggy's album. Outside of the singles and Black Widow it was all largely forgettable. She may have all the success now (Well deserved too) but as far as I'm concerned she hasn't reached the musical heights that Azealia has.

Mau ®

Were O-Town ever a thing?

I remember the MTV reality show (and the subsequent Ashley show) but did they ever get a hit?

YASSS
By far the best track on the album, she performed it last weekend too
Co-Signed re Iggy's album. Outside of the singles and Black Widow it was all largely forgettable. She may have all the success now (Well deserved too) but as far as I'm concerned she hasn't reached the musical heights that Azealia has.

The dizzying heights of an album release seem to be beyond Azealia tbh.

That being said, TNC really was kinda meh. Re: Black Widow, I was shocked that I could love a track that featured Rita Ora, but weirder things have happened.

Mau ®;113799142 said:
Both would flop imo. They're single driven artists. Chances are people already own those songs individually anyway.

Really? Maybe so. I think they both probably need more time before they release one anyways, Xtina is just a bad outlier.

Rih definitely has more variety imo and a longer career, so I'm actually shocked that there's still nothing. I woulda thunk it would be a great thing to put out on a year with no album release like last year or maybe even this year.

How interesting, when I type Greatest Hits into iTunes, P!nk's release is actually second on the list after Queen. She doesn't exactly have the loud Internet stanbase (in actuality, I find that some are actually needlessly mean about her), but she's incredibly successful in spite of that. Or maybe because of it, people don't find her fans obnoxious like Munsters or w/e.

EDIT: Oh hay, Foxes is going to support Pharrell on the UK and European legs of his tour! Get that promo, Louisa-sis. I'm so happy that she's getting recognition.

Mau ®

Rih definitely has more variety imo and a longer career, so I'm actually shocked that there's still nothing. I woulda thunk it would be a great thing to put out on a year with no album release like last year or maybe even this year.

Maybe she'll do it next year for her tenth anniversaRIH.

I can't beleive we're soon approaching a DECADE of Rihanna. Wow *.*

Aguila

#ICONIC
My boyfriend's in the band
He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed
I got feathers in my hair
I get down to beat poetry

I'm a Brooklyn baaaaby

I'm a Brooklyn baaaaby

This is the kind of music Lana and Barrie make. Lana and Barrie forever
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Mau ®;113805352 said:
Maybe she'll do it next year for her tenth anniversaRIH.

I can't we're soon approaching a DECADE of Rihanna. Wow *.*

I didn't see it for her when Pon de Replay came out.

Such an amazing transformation over the years.

In order to sum up pop music of the past ten years, all you would really need to do is buy the Rihanna's Greatest Hits album. She is pop. She is urban. She is R&B. She is radio. She is music. Me. I Am Rihanna... The Iconic Chanteuse.
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

We Found Love was a complete game-changer, and even though all the pastiches invariably lost their lustre, the original remains as flawless as ever.

Poor Calvin Harris, knowing ha career highlight has been and gone.

How did it even happen for her? Umbrella just sorta smashed out of nowhere and before I knew it this was being used in French lessons.

Mau ®

In order to sum up pop music of the past ten years, all you would really need to do is buy the Rihanna's Greatest Hits album. She is pop. She is urban. She is R&B. She is radio. She is music. Me. I Am Rihanna... The Iconic Chanteuse.
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

We Found Love was a complete game-changer, and even though all the pastiches invariably lost their lustre, the original remains as flawless as ever.

How did it even happen for her? Umbrella just sorta smashed out of nowhere and before I knew it this was being used in French lessons.

You're my fav junior ever *.*

I didn't see it for her when Pon de Replay came out.

Such an amazing transformation over the years.

Yeah, it really shows the difference that a good team with a longterm commitment can do for your career in pop. She's had a really amazing consistency on radio, though I wonder how her trajectory would have differed if she dropped the team she has now and decided to follow her own whims. She's yet to have her "4" era, though unlike Beyonce she has no reason to "bite the hand that feeds her," so to speak. She seems really content and her team appears to have her best interest in mind.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

But We Found Love was just a copy of Bounce sooooo

That's really bad, I completely forgot that Bounce even existed
just like everyone else
and I love Kelis. Food is my AOTY atm. I think that nobody really sat up and took notice of Bounce in the same way as when WFL came out.

We Found Love just smashed. Longest running number one of 2011 in both the UK and the US, I think. It's just what happens with singles sometimes, based off of time of year, how people are feeling, what was number one the week before it came out, Bajan voodoo etcetera. One track will make tiny ripples, whilst a very similar sounding track will make waves. Music is a game of chance.

So maybe Bounce's DNA really is in everything, but it didn't have the direct impact of WFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom