• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
"Lemonade" by Danity Kane (DK3) is NOW ON iTunes... BUY IT

GET INTO IT

MFQ8k.gif

WAIT

image.php

Why am I JUST NOW noticing this FOINE ass avatar!?

sugar honey girl fly fly away
I been a lady up to now don't know how much more I can take
Queens shouldn't swing if you know what I mean
But I'm bout to take my earrings off get me some Vaseline
(I'm bout to go off in yo face girl you better chill)
Chill and I mean it
(You better back down before you get smacked down you better chill)
You better relax yourself
(You better go on get out my face girl you better chill
He's my man and nobody else's

ibgYHPSkJp1iDM.gif

I actually rather liked it, tbh. It had a bit of a punch to it, which I appreciated, and her turn of phrase is unique enough.

Don't worry, someone will be along shortly with their dissertation on Ms Kills to discuss her work in more detail.

ihNTmgYcc6ucq.gif

Never heard any of her previous stuff, but my favorite songs in Trouble are:
-Television
-Problem
-Saturday Night
-Devils Don't Fly
-Malboro Lights

I'm so new to Pop tbh the only things I hear are Lana Del Rey, Lady Gaga, and Lorde.

Pills fall like diamonds from my purse
Right out the hole in my fur coat
Straight down the gutter goes
My antidote to a broken girl
I promise I'll be the one you want
Don't tell me I'm unfixable
You don't know what it's like to be seventeen with no place to go

Give me just one night
And I'll be almost fine
Remind me one more time
It's the best days of my life

Iconic.

Never heard any of her previous stuff, but my favorite songs in Trouble are:
-Television
-Problem
-Saturday Night
-Devils Don't Fly
-Marlboro Lights

I'm so new to Pop tbh the only things I hear are Lana Del Rey, Lady Gaga, and Lorde.

isngAyjsXczPR.gif

Would you like some recommendations? More modern stuff or some oldies, perhaps?

That would pretty much match my list of faves from Trouble as well. I wouldn't bother with her previous album, it's completely different and painfully generic.

Yado

When you walk
& when you talk
I get the tingle, I wanna mingle, that's what I want

itjSHPbnPs6fx.gif

She should have retired after this album tbh.

Oh sis...
iROcOZu4boHsM.gif
If it helps, I also listen to Sky Ferreira and love Beyonce's new album
isngAyjsXczPR.gif

Would you like some recommendations? More modern stuff or some oldies, perhaps?

That would pretty much match my list of faves from Trouble as well. I wouldn't bother with her previous album, it's completely different and painfully generic.
Yeah please, I think I both oldies and modern stuff would help, since some songs like Crazy in Love are still amazing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Pills fall like diamonds from my purse
Right out the hole in my fur coat
Straight down the gutter goes
My antidote to a broken girl
I promise I'll be the one you want
Don't tell me I'm unfixable
You don't know what it's like to be seventeen with no place to go

Give me just one night
And I'll be almost fine
Remind me one more time
It's the best days of my life

Iconic.

such a great song tbh

B-Dex

Not Gaga postponing my date for Friday. Now I won't get to see it till the end if the damn tour.

I'll have had my tickets for almost 2 years.

This bitch.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Remember Miley?

The chasm between what this show believes it is—a high-art exploration of music, erotica and nebulous stream of consciousness for a critically mature and appreciative audience—and the reality of its setting—a pop concert attended mostly by confused children and their furious parents—only adds to the surreal nature of the show. The only thing more entertaining than the Bangerz tour is witnessing the stunned expression of short-straw dads watching it with their kids.

Miley can pretend she’s in a Brooklyn gallery space rather than an all-ages show, if she wants to. But she can’t pretend things are going well in terms of ticket sales. There were plenty of empty seats at the O2 and, unusually for an artist of her sway, she only played one night there. Things haven’t picked up on the rest of the European tour, with tickets still available for many of her upcoming dates. In the US, sales for the tour also struggled, particularly after she was seen smoking weed on TV. Forbes believe it’s unlikely she’d sold out “as many as half of her shows”. Tickets on secondary ticketing sites were selling for less than face-value as touts just tried to make some of their money back.

Her record sales have also been surprisingly poor. Despite being repeatedly described as “the person of the year” with unprecedented coverage across the worlds of music, entertainment and news, not to mention having two of the most watched music videos of all time, Cyrus’ album was only the 71st best selling of last year in the UK. Records by Alt-J, Kodaline, dutch jazz singer Caro Emerald and violinist Andre Rieu all performed considerably better. Globally the album did slightly better, but was still a long way off the top 20 global albums of 2013, an important measure for world-straddling artists.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/miley-c...en-sex-stops-selling?utm_source=vicetwitterus

Not her being dragged. Deth

Mau ®

It really does feel like Miley fizzled out completely.

Is she even releasing another Bangerz single? It's as if all efforts were for the tour and once she got on that she forgot about it. Wouldn't surprise since Larry Rudolph is her manager. He always plans around the tour.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Mau ®;113829802 said:
It really does feel like Miley fizzled out completely.

Mess, she had her TFM, BTW, and ARTPOP eras all wrapped up into one. As I (and many others) accurately predicted, the GP would not be here for her antics, and there's only so many times you can pose nude in order to gain attention. Her tour is flopping, her third single flopped, and no one is talking about her. A gaga tii. And people called her the new Rihanna? :ahh:

If it helps, I also listen to Sky Ferreira and love Beyonce's new album

Yeah please, I think I both oldies and modern stuff would help, since some songs like Crazy in Love are still amazing.

How bizarre, I was actually about to recommend Sky as well! Night Time, My Time is definitely up your street based on your previous examples. And Beyonce's new album is actually kinda indie and inaccessible in some instances, makes it easier to recommend some of my weirder ones.

Oh, you're thinking oldies like Crazy in Love, ten years ago, I'm thinking more a billion years ago lol. Actually, some of the people who I was thinking of aren't even pop lol.

There is going to be so much wrong in these paragraphs, but it's just my feelings so bye. Just append the words 'for me' after every sentence.

ibaXLwbTrUjToh.gif

You really don't know what you've unleashed.

I definitely think this album is central to anyone's pop education, and anyone that disagrees can take several seats:
Some people say that the Immaculate Collection is dated, I don't want to know those people. In terms of pure pop, this is flawless, and basically the genesis of female pop as we know it today. You may have to get over a hump with the 80s sound, but it's so worth it when it clicks. You'll have picked up most of these songs over time anyway, considering they're all basically part of the public consciousness. If anything ever sounds clichéd, please be aware that the cliché originates here, and so much has been derived from the songs in this album that it's ridiculous. It's technically an 80s greatest hits album, but I think it's better this way. The only album you'd really have to go back to on its own merits is Like a Prayer. For the genesis of male pop, I'd recommend Thriller, because MJ is flawless (and that's basically a greatest hits album in itself).

Recommended Tracks: Into The Groove, Express Yourself, Vogue

Alternatively, considering you like Gaga, I'd say Confessions on a Dance Floor basically created the blueprint for modern dancepop, so that'd be a good start if you want to hear the best of recent Madonna, and an album that will be a little easier on your ears. Just make sure it's the Continuous Mix, that's very important to truly understand the album.

Recommended Tracks: Hung Up, Get Together... you really need to go through the album in order. Forbidden Love and Isaac are personal favourites tho.

My personal favourite Madonna album is Ray of Light. However, I don't think it'd be the best jumping-off point for you and I think it's easier for you to get into Madonna from one of the above two albums considering where you're at, but do try it if you're in the mood for something that's possibly a little bit different (but not too different, it's still pop music lol). Ray of Light is really the genesis of electronica and Eastern influences in modern pop music (if it ain't then I don't know what is tbh), and it's even more remarkable contextually when you consider that her contemporaries had become Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera etc and this was really her first time going up against younger women and beating them at their own game. It's proof of how she (used to) raise the bar and go her own way. But really, the entire discography is worthwhile. Erotica, Like a Prayer, Music, Bedtime Stories... no two albums are ever the same, you could just listen to Madonna and you wouldn't get bored (well, you would, but that's why this post keeps going).

Recommended Tracks: Ray Of Light, Skin, Frozen

Moving on from elitist territory:
If you like Beyonce's most recent work, then try B'Day. I prefer it to Beyonce, even though it really is quite close. It's a more fun album than Beyonce tbh, and it has some of my favourite songs. Green Light is the song that truly got me into Beyonce in a way that was beyond: 'Oh the lead singer of Destiny's Child is still going?'. The album is the perfect crossroads between artistry, lyricism and accessibility (aside from Beyonce the album, but you've already listened to that sooo nobody try it). All of Beyonce's albums excel in certain areas, but B'Day is the perfect storm of all her different positives melding into something magical.

Recommended Tracks: Green Light, Freakum Dress, Get Me Bodied (Extended Mix)

A more recent album that you may enjoy:
I think you'll like Ellie Goulding, actually. She's in a weird place, kind of folksy, kind of electronica, and I think you'd dig it. Well, at least on Bright Lights. Halcyon Days is a bit more straightforward electropop. I don't have a lot to say here, this is just general breadth from the past five years or so. It's a solid album, you should enjoy it. She's fun. This is mostly based off of who you've said you already like, they're sort of stylistically similar. Maybe.

Recommended Tracks: Guns and Horses, Under The Sheets, Lights

Finally, a weird one:
Kimbra is a goddess and a legend, and she will bless you with her divine benevolence. This is a bit more soulful yet jazzy, well produced yet raw, and twenty times more unconventional than anything else on this list. You may find it a bit difficult to get your head around at first, the first few bars of Settle Down makes you think you're in for some strange experimental voodoo. But it opens up into a magnificent record, and one of my favourites of the past few years. It's incredibly varied and she plays around with her vocals in a manner that not many do. She's an exceptional artist and some of these tracks are phenomenal. Please do give it a try.

Recommended Tracks: Settle Down, Cameo Lover, Posse

Well, that's a lot to be getting on with, do come back for extras later. I think you'd like these girls the most for now, and I wouldn't want to overwhelm. My personal faves are a bit different but also more difficult, most likely.

However, if you want extra credit, in terms of general music education, and moving away from Pop entirely now:

These three albums (and people) changed my life, and they changed the lives of all the women you listen to today, whether they know it or not. Especially the former two. Kate Bush, Grace Jones and Bjork are all legends, each with their own particular niche, but I'm frankly uncertain how to quantify them because they defy genre.
Kate Bush is heavier, a bit rocky, but her lyricism and artistry are unmatched. I adore her.
Grace Jones is the original unconventional gay music icon and a complete diva, with a bit more of a reggae sound, perhaps? She does everything, really.
Bjork is an Icelandic goddess who leans more on the electronic side for her best and most famous albums, but she's fascinating. When someone isn't a native English speaker, they work with the language in a really interesting way, and she's at the forefront of that.
I'm recommending greatest hits albums here because they're the best brief snapshots that you're going to get of their overall masterful careers. They're all phenomenal. I definitely think you'll enjoy them. If you like what you hear here, try Hounds of Love, Nightclubbing and Vespertine respectively.

Kate Bush Tracks: Running Up That Hill, Wuthering Heights, The Dreaming
Grace Jones Tracks: Slave to the Rhythm, I've Seen That Face Before (Libertango), Pull Up to the Bumper
Bjork Tracks: Pagan Poetry, All Is Full of Love, Hyperballad

Hope this helps. I've realised I probably failed to quantify what 'old' and 'new' actually were, but sigh.

Everyone can now resume shading each other.
ihNTmgYcc6ucq.gif

royalan

Announcements are all the 4nus stans have left. Not like there are any games on the platform.

Y'all kill me with this.

Let me tell you young bitches something. Every gen the same thing gets said about Sony consoles ("PSX/PS2/PS3 got no games!") And every damn gen, every damn gen, the same thing happens: The Sony console goes through an initial dry spell and then, around the time of its first full holiday season, the floodgates open...and guess what?

THEY DON'T CLOSE

PSX, PS2, PS3 all went through the same initial dry-spell...and then they were all FLOODED with games and a AAA release schedule that didn't stop until well after the new console was out. Like, I wish I could say that I was upset that I don't have a PS4 yet. But I'm not. And why? Because I'm still too busy getting my pussy pounded by my PS3.

Meanwhile. y'all sittin up here like these few games the Wii U's gotten aren't the only games its gonna get. Get ready for your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dry spells.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm sure Clony stans are also quite nostalgic, too, of the time when they actually had games to play

iLQyxKScnlBXB.gif

its been 2 years since the Wii U has been out and its barely gettings its "system sellers" :ahh:
so what have yall been doing aside from watching developers move on to the PS4

ciSYO5Y.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom