• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
its been 2 years since the Wii U has been out and its barely gettings its "system sellers" :ahh:
so what have yall been doing aside from watching developers move on to the PS4

ciSYO5Y.gif

The Navy doesn't even have spellcheck. You think they have fact checkers too?

ibixXFMXAHDhUD.gif

YAAAAS Never Forever, that post was spot the fuck ON.

Confessions and Ray Of Light <3 I call them pop resets. They took the paradigm, shifted it, and became blue prints. Bless *.*

And Roy's right. You hookers are always ready to jump on the PS platform for running out of steam, but Sony's already 3 for 3. Why would they suddenly fuck up now?

That said I really want a Wii U for literally 4 games and nothing else and I'm trying to convince myself that it doesn't warrant a purchase.

Nemesis_

So I managed to find a flop to go with to Ellie Goulding and she was a slay. Her voice was a little bit off from time to time but generally speaking she was fun and energetic. I really enjoyed her show, I just wish I got to go with the person I originally was meant to go with ._.

Broods opened for her too. And while I like Bridges I didn't really enjoy their set as much.

But yes Ellie is a great performer.

Meanwhile. y'all sittin up here like these few games the Wii U's gotten aren't the only games its gonna get. Get ready for your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dry spells.

no because i'm not some dumb peasant who thinks I should only own one or two.

Fey

Banned
ibaXLwbTrUjToh.gif

You really don't know what you've unleashed.

I definitely think this album is central to anyone's pop education, and anyone that disagrees can take several seats:

Some people say that the Immaculate Collection is dated, I don't want to know those people. In terms of pure pop, this is flawless, and basically the genesis of female pop as we know it today. You may have to get over a hump with the 80s sound, but it's so worth it when it clicks. You'll have picked up most of these songs over time anyway, considering they're all basically part of the public consciousness. If anything ever sounds clichéd, please be aware that the cliché originates here, and so much has been derived from the songs in this album that it's ridiculous. It's technically an 80s greatest hits album, but I think it's better this way. The only album you'd really have to go back to on its own merits is Like a Prayer. For the genesis of male pop, I'd recommend Thriller, because MJ is flawless (and that's basically a greatest hits album in itself).

Recommended Tracks: Into The Groove, Express Yourself, Vogue

Alternatively, considering you like Gaga, I'd say Confessions on a Dance Floor basically created the blueprint for modern dancepop, so that'd be a good start if you want to hear the best of recent Madonna, and an album that will be a little easier on your ears. Just make sure it's the Continuous Mix, that's very important to truly understand the album.

Recommended Tracks: Hung Up, Get Together... you really need to go through the album in order. Forbidden Love and Isaac are personal favourites tho.

My personal favourite Madonna album is Ray of Light. However, I don't think it'd be the best jumping-off point for you and I think it's easier for you to get into Madonna from one of the above two albums considering where you're at, but do try it if you're in the mood for something that's possibly a little bit different (but not too different, it's still pop music lol). Ray of Light is really the genesis of electronica and Eastern influences in modern pop music (if it ain't then I don't know what is tbh), and it's even more remarkable contextually when you consider that her contemporaries had become Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera etc and this was really her first time going up against younger women and beating them at their own game. It's proof of how she (used to) raise the bar and go her own way. But really, the entire discography is worthwhile. Erotica, Like a Prayer, Music, Bedtime Stories... no two albums are ever the same, you could just listen to Madonna and you wouldn't get bored (well, you would, but that's why this post keeps going).

Recommended Tracks: Ray Of Light, Skin, Frozen

help why are u so perfect

all the albums you posted were perfect

your personal favourites off confessions are some of my all time favourite madonna songs

i just saw the sticky and sweet tour in full for the first time and the like a prayer rendition fuck me

mario kart 8 in 2 days fuck me

do u live in canada

300px-Pink_Gold_Peach.png

Nemesis_

Those are my favourite tracks from Confessions too ._.

I feel like there's even more tracks I like from Ray of Light than what was listed, though.

Wooww Never Forever, I was not expecting that! Thank you so much for the recommendations. I'm gonna take it slow and give each album you listed it's time so they sink in. I'm listening to The Immaculate Collection but it's pretty hard to get into because I never listen to 80s/early 90s music. But again, thank you for that amazing post.

royalan

TJtMLve.jpg

I love everything about this photo.

Everything about this picture is iconic.

Everything about what makes Rihanna iconic and a symbol of this generation is right here in this photo.

I seriously want this in poster size to put on my wall. This is a perfect TIME snapshot of what Pop culture is right now.

TJtMLve.jpg

I love everything about this photo.

Everything about this picture is iconic.

Everything about what makes Rihanna iconic and a symbol of this generation is right here in this photo.

I seriously want this in poster size to put on my wall. This is a perfect TIME snapshot of what Pop culture is right now.

I don't want vanity and alcoholism to be a symbol for my generation :(

They are so far though

Touchdown

Banned
Whatever, it's embarrassingly impassioned and stupid. I'd rather most of y'all didn't read it lol.

As long as YoungBlade reads it and takes something from it, it's fine.

Hmmm... An essay writing junior that stans Madonna, Mariah, and Rihanna? You may just be the light that this dark hole of cunts we call POPGAF needs right now.

25392_600.gif

cory64

Dear Diary, it's Robyn
Entertaining is something I do for a living, it's NOT who I am
I'd like to think that I'm pretty normal
I laugh
I get mad
I hurt
I think guys suck sometimes
But when you're in the spotlight
Everything seems good

Sometimes I feel like I have it worst
cause I have to always keep my guard up
I don't know who to trust
I don't know who wants to date me for who I am
Or who wants to be my friend for who I REALLY am

52b0f867.gif

Vazduh

The full version of Nicole Flopzinger's Your Love is now online. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was listening to a demo version, it sounds kind of unfinished?

Let me award NF a gold card. Not a junior showing you heauxs how it's done.

Do iiiiiiiiiiit! That post is awesome.

GmkxQxu.gif

My current avatar is actually also me

b61LQVz.gif

Come over here, Lucille.

Wow, he for real sounds like someone who was born deaf singing like that.

I'm dying all over again <3

So is Day26. I'll remain perched for Da Band's eventual comeback tour.

Not Day26 coming back
tiJdxY9.png
tiJdxY9.png
tiJdxY9.png

The only person missing from all these comebacks is Donnie Klang, lol

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
while i agree with never forever's assessment there's another alber that had as much of an impact on the sound of pop music as confessions

Britney_Spears_-_Blackout.png

Vitanimus

while i agree with never forever's assessment there's another alber that had as much of an impact on the sound of pop music as confessions

Yaaaaaas although I would probably call Blackout more iconic than shifting the pop landscape in 2007... but then again I was 13 in 2007 so I don't even know

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yaaaaaas although I would probably call Blackout more iconic than shifting the pop landscape in 2007... but then again I was 13 in 2007 so I don't even know

freakshow was the first mainstream pop song with dubstep (as far as I know)

that alone makes blackout epoch-making

DMeisterJ

Banned
People like us, we've gotta stick together
Keep your head up, nothing lasts forever
Here's to the damned, to the lost, the forgotten
It's hard to get high when you're living on the bottom

MFQ8k.gif

Slay me Kellegend

Bless you sistren, you've made my day. I feel so positive rn.
i1sBmkKcCyLa5.gif

And not one of PopGAF's Gold Cards! I thought that was for 'contribution to the discussion', not randomly dropping an essay then running off, but I ain't complaining.
tumblr_m28hc2G3AY1qlvwnco1_400.gif

Those are my favourite tracks from Confessions too ._.

I feel like there's even more tracks I like from Ray of Light than what was listed, though.

i saw a lack of sky fits heaven but i let it go

You have to stop sometime lol. I would find it much easier to give up ten of my thirteen (hypothetical) children than give up ten tracks off of Madonna's magnum opus Ray of Light. But Ray of Light is my song, and Frozen and Skin are both incredibly atmospheric, so I just decided to pick them. Rest assured, the reason why I recommended the entire album is so one can appreciate its magnificence.

Also, let us not forget legendary Madonna B-Side/the Japanese bonus track to end all Japanese bonus tracks, Has To Be. A flawless, 10/10 song.

Wooww Never Forever, I was not expecting that! Thank you so much for the recommendations. I'm gonna take it slow and give each album you listed it's time so they sink in. I'm listening to The Immaculate Collection but it's pretty hard to get into because I never listen to 80s/early 90s music. But again, thank you for that amazing post.

Confessions on a Dance Floor is great omfg
Hung Up
Get Together
Issac
Forbidden Love
Let It Will Be

No problem, I'm glad you're happy to branch out a bit. I could've just made a list, but I like to explain my thought process a bit.

And yaaaasssss stan for Confessions on a Dance Floor. Omg, ten years old next year. How time flies. I knew you'd like it, even if The Immaculate Collection was a bit tricky :)

Confessions and Ray of Light both make my top ten favourite albums of all time tbh.

Actually Blackout was there but then I realised that I probably had to let something go. I thought that Confessions was more important from a getting into Madonna perspective, which is why it made the cut. I would never deny Blackout's importance, it's incredible, and I would use it to branch the gap between Confessions and the late 00s. It's basically what everyone's been trying to ape for the past seven years. In biblical terms, Confessions is Genesis, Blackout is the coming of Christ.
I know nothing of the Bible

Nemesis_

I've never heard Has To Be before and it's slaying me

thanks sis

I wish Madonna would just put out an album of touched up songs from this era. The sound is so recognisable and unique.

Koodo

Banned
The day doesn't start until 10pm when King 8 goes up inshallah.

I wonder how many network errors I will suffer through.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This Wii U Stanning. Vile
The system will be dropped faster than Carly Rae was, y'all wasting your money

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
omg i've listened to this nicole scherzinger song like four times

it is a BOP, the chorus is infectious af

i could honestly see it smashing a bit
tho i could also see it debuting at #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom