• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

I dig the bolded. Maybe you'd like Lykke Li? Idk. Haim, Florence and the Machine? Something rocky. (I bet you'd totally dig Kylie, Queen of Rock that she is)

(I call people 'dude' in real life but it's fun to just be a 'sis' here lol)
If you insist. (boo)

Yes, yes and yes.

And some of Kylie's stuff is well good. I thought this was a great tune:

Kylie Minogue - Two Hearts

Proper glam rock styleee!

Right, off to bed to touch my penis. (I'm a Brit, just to put that out there.)

Laters pop peeps.

Vitanimus

PopGAF being dominated by clearly superior UK members
b49700a3.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't hate Lana, she still slays.

But Ultraviolence is just so...dull. I've given myself a few days to see if my opinion would change, but I just can't listen to it all the way through because all of the songs are so dreary and one note. I agree with most people who said the album starts out great but just sort of falls off a cliff after Sad Girl. It evokes the feeling of being slowly dragged through a pool of warm mud.

I miss the more upbeat Lana. I think that's the component I'm missing here. BTD had it's dreary moments too...but it also had Diet Mountain Dew and National Anthem to balance things out and make the album more enjoyable and vibrant to listen to overall. With Ultraviolence, Lana's sort of settled into her dreary, feeeeet doooon't faaaiiillll meeeeee nooooow style of delivery, and to be fair it works sometimes...but it's not enough to carry an album's worth of songs. I definitely miss the more versatile Lana.

I haven't been able to listen to the album all the way through since the first time I gave it a listen. Just an exhausting album.

To be fair the same criticism (that many of the songs blur together into a single dreary repetitive whole) can be levelled at BTD too.

To be fair the same criticism (that many of the songs blur together into a single dreary repetitive whole) can be levelled at BTD too.
True. It's all pretty much the same distinct style on BTD (lyric wise, instrumentation,...), and together with paradise it adds up to almost 20 songs in that style which may be a bit much.

But i still think, even within the same genre, the BTD songs had more variety than the UV ones. You simply can't listen to Video Games and Off to the Races after each other and call it "too samey". One doest even have a bassline, the other has a distinct triphop beat. There clearly are different paces between songs, something UV as an album has less.

I have never touched another man's penis.

(Is being gay a prerequisite for male posters in this thread? Aww sheeiiit, I dun broke da roools.)

It seems like that doesn't it, but nope. I really don't think your sexual preference determines what type of music you like, but there does seem to be a correlation between liking pop music and orientation. Or at least, the perception of one.

Also, Riot isn't Paramore's first album? News to me.

Vitanimus

It seems like that doesn't it, but nope. I really don't think your sexual preference determines what type of music you like, but there does seem to be a correlation between liking pop music and orientation. Or at least, the perception of one.

Also, Riot isn't Paramore's first album? News to me.

Emergency, Pressure, and Woah are all highlights for me from their debut. It's a really good pop punk album.

yeah, ultraviolence doesn't have a "diet mountain dew" or "off to the races" so i'm kind of leaning towards BTD as the better album. but its great to finally have a new lana album thats full of great contemplative music.

Koodo

Banned
ULTRAVIOLENCE is a slog to get through from start to finish, but it holds up great if you pick and choose a set of songs and come back later for the rest. There's no solid turd on the tracklist.

And it's commendable how she managed to stay in character while overhauling the sound. The alberg is distinct from BTD/Paradise, but you can still feel like it came from the same emotionally distraught source.

Slé, Feminist Icon Del Ray

tmarques

I was going to say she had lost a lot of weight. And ask why the kids were nowhere to be seen in a tweet about spending time with them. LOL @ thinking no one's going to find out. I mean, it's one thing to try and pass a 2-year-old picture as recent, but 1997? Really?

Why's she not putting out a new single anyway? There are a lot of great songs on that album and the longer she waits the harder it's going to be. I hope she doesn't decide to pull a Janet on us.

Bladenic

tbh i dont see mariah quitting soon because she wants to get the record for most #1s ever and she still has 2 to tie and 3 to pass I think. Good luck to ha

MDNA

Neo Member
I'd love to see "You Don't Know What To Do" or "Make It Look Good" become singles. Realistically though, I don't see another single happening.

The Flop

Banned
So i'm still newish here so I suppose I should post my faves!

Stan: Gaga, Sia, Rihanna, Fifth Harmony (wait for Bo$$), Kelly Clarkson
Favs: Queen Bey, Lana, Taylor Swift, Natasha Bedingfield, Iggy,
Love/Hate relationship: Miley, Ariana, Mariah,

Will never say I don't like b/c of the curse: Becky G!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Welcome! I have never heard anyone here with Natasha Bedingfield as a fave. Flawless taste.
If we ignore Gaga.

tmarques

tbh i dont see mariah quitting soon because she wants to get the record for most #1s ever and she still has 2 to tie and 3 to pass I think. Good luck to ha

Maybe not in the current climate, but if Cher could get a #1 into her 50s, I see no reason why Mariah couldn't in the future. She needs to realise this is not the 90s and adapt her game, though.

Mau ®

OMG Welcome!

We can always use new #Navy!

Ties

Banned

gaga

🌚

Haha, yeah, I figured. I'm pretty chummy with You Know Nothing through FakeGAF, he's a dude that guy.

Pop wise, digging Lana Del Ray, Chvrches, Disclosure, Lorde, AlunaGeorge and Gorgon City at the minute. Intrigued by Natalia Kills. (I love The Kills but I'm guessing it's not quite the same thing!) Foxes is rather attractive but not all that fussed on her tunes, she's OK.

And thanks for the welcome!

(I will never call anyone "sis" though, just to get that out of the way right now!)

Only YNK? I see how it is.

MDNA

Neo Member

royalan

Hi guys, thanks for welcome. Yep, I'm new. I've been lurking here for a while, it seems like a really fun bunch. I love the GIFs in this thread!

My favorite girls are Namie Amuro and Madonna, but I love pretty much all the great divas. Mariah, Janet, Kylie, Gwen, and Ayu are some of my other faves.

You better stan the Queen of Hip-Pop.

Gaga, Beyonce, Lana. You and I will get along just fine. :) Welcome!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;116748659 said:
OMG She loves that child.

She better not start thinking about having some of ha own tho :biblio:

And with Chris Martin they might call the baby Pear or Grape. >.>

royalan

She has stans in here?! YASS

*raises hand*

I discovered Namie Amuro's perfection when I got into Inuyasha my freshman year of college and heard her flawless "Come" in the end credits. Still a flawless Trip-Hop track.

I officially became a fan with her album Play.

Became a STAN with her FLAWLESS 60s 70s 80s EP.

She's the Queen. It's as simple as that. Only Koda Kumi comes close. And Utada...I guess.

MDNA

Neo Member
I'll have to make some time to listen to it.

You definitely should give it a listen! Feel was easily one of the best pop albums of 2013. The only flaw is her shoddy English pronunciation.

*raises hand*

I discovered Namie Amuro's perfection when I got into Inuyasha my freshman year of college and heard her flawless "Come" in the end credits. Still a flawless Trip-Hop track.

She's the Queen. It's as simple as that. Only Koda Kumi comes close. And Utada...I guess.

Yes! I adore her. Her old school albums with Tetsuya Komuro are classic (albeit dated), but I really think she came into her own once she ditched him. For me, every album since Style has been damn near perfect.

Hi guys, thanks for welcome. Yep, I'm new. I've been lurking here for a while, it seems like a really fun bunch. I love the GIFs in this thread!

My favorite girls are Namie Amuro and Madonna, but I love pretty much all the great divas. Mariah, Janet, Kylie, Gwen, and Ayu are some of my other faves.

0CFwrZt.gif

Welcome gyals.

*raises hand*

"Come" and "Four Seasons" are what got me hooked. This was ages ago though, so I never knew how to find her other music because I was bad at internet...and broke.

But now...now I can rectify that.

...with my next paycheck. :eyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom