• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Not even a choreography nom
the rudeness

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The video for Problem is trash and I hope it won't get any awards that night.

Let's hope for the best for Charli XCX. Fancy should win video of the year, imo, it's a really cool one. But I guess Miley is gonna snatch that one with her iconic video.

Should have been this Problem.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
tumblr_n8u2wz597y1s54smho3_500.jpg

Kesha Rose looking good.
Brooke Candy

haha well to be fair, how could that song get a nom when the video wasn't even released?

Oh duh, I forget that's the whole thing

Then it should have been Applause, lol. Though if Roar fell too far back to be considered then I can understand why Applause wasn't considered either. I guess that leaves G.U.Y.

Either way BOO

royalan

The VMAs have honestly not even been worth watching the last three years.

The nominations are dull and predictable. It's like someone at MTV just looked at the top 15 songs on Spotify and called it a day.

And the show itself is so boring and scripted now, they allow no room for anything exciting to happen. And that list of performers?

At this point, it's a credit to your name if you don't get nominated for one of those damn awards.

Yesterday, I met my idol and she hugged me and it was the best and she's so lovely oh Caitlin (also her playlist during the interval was EVERYTHING: I Touch Myself, Wuthering Heights, Dreams, Hung Up, Womanizer, Bootylicious, I Like It Rough and Dancing On My Own; flawless taste)

Rip @ West Coast getting a nom for best cinematography. Mess. Hopefully Pretty Hurts gets it, no matter what people think of the song, the video is great.

I hope Iggy and Bey win all their categories I guess, they're the only ones whose vids I've paid attention to and liked. And Charlisus should win everything ever.

Idk, modern music videos are kinda... there. I couldn't really describe many. They must have massive budgets but everything seems so reductive.

I finally bought Unapologetic today #flopNVAY

Mau ®

The VMAs have honestly not even been worth watching the last three years.

The nominations are dull and predictable. It's like someone at MTV just looked at the top 15 songs on Spotify and called it a day.

And the show itself is so boring and scripted now, they allow no room for anything exciting to happen. And that list of performers?

At this point, it's a credit to your name if you don't get nominated for one of those damn awards.

Mmm

Weren't you praising the VMA's for bringing back the controversy factor with the Miley/Robin performance last year?

royalan

Mau ®;121422373 said:
Mmm

Weren't you praising the VMA's for bringing back the controversy factor with the Miley/Robin performance last year?

Yeah

But that was literally it. Of a 2+ hour long show!

EVERYTHING else was a snooze fest.

SaintZ

Fancy not getting a nom for "Best Collaboration". Bye. The song was a success thanks to Charli.

Oh and screaming at Fancy getting a nom in the "Best Pop Video" category lol

Oh I haven't even seen the performers list yet, let me peruse

EDIT: Oh it's just Solomon Grande and Usher so far. Hopefully Beyonce shuts it down on stage.

Nemesis_

Fancy not getting a nom for "Best Collaboration". Bye. The song was a success thanks to Charli.

Oh and screaming at Fancy getting a nom in the "Best Pop Video" category lol

Fancy was great tho especially in that category. A cool no-nonsense homage to shit like Clueless.

The other videos in that category are so bad, why the fuck are they even there (Happy? Talk Dirty?)

They could've chosen much better tbh

SaintZ

Fancy was great tho especially in that category. A cool no-nonsense homage to shit like Clueless.

The other videos in that category are so bad, why the fuck are they even there (Happy? Talk Dirty?)

They could've chosen much better tbh
Oh I agree about Fancy having a great video (all of Iggy's videos are on poinT actually) but my comment was more directed at the fact that Iggy's supposed to be rapper not a pop singer, heh.

Grizzo

Oh I agree about Fancy having a great video (all of Iggy's videos are on poinT actually) but my comment was more directed at the fact that Iggy's supposed to be rapper not a pop singer, heh.

Well Iggy is as much as a rapper as she is a pop singer to me. Just like Nicki Minaj.

Plus why the hell is Lorde's Royal nominated in "Best Rock Video"?

So I just got my final iTunes ready masters for my EP and I'm crying :') ;__;. All that's left is to take album photos. at the end of the month o____o.

Grizzo

Queen of Pop Annie has put up a mix on her soundcloud. As you would imagine, it's everything.

Indication of the direction for her next EP?

That's a good mix! Don't Stop is still a great album, it holds up well.

I met her four years ago at a party she was DJing at in Paris.

avecannie5bcag.jpg

(I'm on the left and I was wasted)

She's such a sweetheart, I remember we talked about Girls Aloud (since the band sang the chorus on the first version of My Love Is Better) and Cheryl's first album (she didn't like it, obviously). I asked her which one of them was the coolest and she answered Nicola (obviously).

JCX

Actually the latter half of Ultraviolence grew on me. My current list would be (not in order of preference):

Cruel World
Shades of Cool
Brooklyn Baby
West Coast
Sad Girl
Fucked My Way Up to the Top
Florida KIlos

Still wish she would do more uptempo on her albums.

SaintZ

I only skip Guns and Roses and Sad Girl tbh.

And Old Money has gotten better with each listen

But if you send for me you know I'll come,
And if you call for me you know I'll run.
I'll run to you, I'll run to you, I'll run, run, run.
I'll come to you, I'll come to you, I'll come, come, come.

lanacrydap8q.gif

I'll admit it's a very simple song

I remember when the VMAs - and the Movie Awards, to an extent - were considered EVENTS that you would consider cancelling plans for. Now there's not really anything worth watching on them for the past decade. It's like they've become what they originally made fun of all those years ago.

I feel like 2009 was the last real VMA event (Kanye-Swift-Gate, Paparazzi, Single Ladies) and since then it's just been kind of tepid. It's almost like it died down after Britney did. lol

I feel like 2009 was the last real VMA event (Kanye-Swift-Gate, Paparazzi, Single Ladies) and since then it's just been kind of tepid. It's almost like it died down after Britney did. lol

Yeah.. For me, that performance of Paparazzi sealed my feelings for Gaga. It was flawless IMO o__o. People are welcome to disagree, since I know that's a pretty strong statement.

I'll never forget that. I had just started really liking Gaga a couple weeks before that performance.

;_;

I honestly remember watching it on my TV as if it were yesterday. Tbh I wasn't really on her train much at all until that performance. I felt so stupid for not thinking she was talented before. It was life-altering for me LOL srs.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Clear Channel’s ‘On the Verge’ program helped make Iggy Azalea a star. Here’s how it works.

When an artist’s song is named “On the Verge,” all of the company’s radio stations are required to play that song at least 150 times.

Given Clear Channel’s huge listener base — 840 stations, about 245 million listeners per month — it becomes increasingly likely that the song will catch on, particularly with those repeated plays. That type of success can have a huge impact on an artist’s career, not to mention the music charts.

there is hope for Sky Ferreira yet

Britney Spears - Gimme More (VMA 2007)

It was an absolute trainwreck which in a way represented the beginning of the end of her career, but it's still one of the most iconic VMA performances.

tumblr_lqo3d6mzb81qay934o1_500.gif

The song is still one of her best singles, tho. Keri Hilson, ha power.

So funny how she was blasted in the media for looking lazy and disconnected from reality even though that performance makes modern Britney look like R2D2 in comparison. lol

And yeah, Gaga SHAT on that stage in 2009. It was a fucking pop coup. It was watching that and hearing my father call her a "disgusting creature" when I knew she had officially made it. That performance began the great Gaga Reign (2009-2012, 2015-??)

And yeah, Gaga SHAT on that stage in 2009. It was a fucking pop coup. It was watching that and hearing my father call her a "disgusting creature" when I knew she had officially made it. That performance began the great Gaga Reign (2009-2012, 2015-??)

And what a reign it was. I just remember staying up super late watching all of her interviews on YouTube with Jonathan Ross and a bunch of others.
I still watch them sometimes..

Aguila

#ICONIC
It's that time of the week

GncOXX1.png

This week's we listened to Saintz' fave

4H33wV2.png

Conclusion: So the album started out great. I really liked Losing Grip, the beginning instrumentals, the verses, the chorus, the bridge, and how it related to the album title; it's probably my favorite song from the album. Complicated and Sk8er Boy were songs that I've heard before. I think the chorus in Complicated is really catchy, but Sk8er Boy takes it a bit tew far for me in terms of its corny story that I just can't seem to like it. I'm With You has another great chorus (and prechorus). And I really like the yea-yea's at the beginning of the bridge.

After these four songs tho
8be5ead6.gif
8be5ead6.gif
8be5ead6.gif

The only thing I can remember was something about fried chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom