• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen of Pop Annie has put up a mix on her soundcloud.

Omg she's alive! She hadn't Tweeted anything since March, that combined with a lack of any more of the promised EPs made me fear the worst. I'm glad she seems to be doing something summery.

I asked her which one of them was the coolest and she answered Nicola (obviously).
tumblr_lpxv2uH3oY1qdfujuo6_250.gif

Rightfully so

The cover and title for Jesus Ware's sophomore album have been unveiled
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

I'm loving all the black-and-white serving this year. Simple yet elegant.

Also, another one of those mysterious disco bops from earlier this year has been unveiled. I think this was the 'shapeshifting dance legend' or something idk:
Slam Dunk'd - No Price (feat. Chromeo and Al-P)
The dude is actually Arthur Baker, who worked with New Order and Bob Dylan and did some Springsteen and Lauper remixes back in the 80s. I think the most famous track he produced is Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock. Full story.

Also:
Jhene Aiko - The Pressure

SaintZ

It's that time of the week

GncOXX1.png

This week's we listened to Saintz' fave

4H33wV2.png

Conclusion: So the album started out great. I really liked Losing Grip, the beginning instrumentals, the verses, the chorus, the bridge, and how it related to the album title; it's probably my favorite song from the album. Complicated and Sk8er Boy were songs that I've heard before. I think the chorus in Complicated is really catchy, but Sk8er Boy takes it a bit tew far for me in terms of its corny story that I just can't seem to like it. I'm With You has another great chorus (and prechorus). And I really like the yea-yea's at the beginning of the bridge.

After these four songs tho
8be5ead6.gif
8be5ead6.gif
8be5ead6.gif

The only thing I can remember was something about fried chicken.
nnnnn
riz043qux5.gif
So you don't remember anything besides de singles? A mess.

I really never got into Losing Grip when it first came out because it is kinda heavy. Same with Unwanted (I ended up liking them years after tho). And a funny story: I wasn't very fond of Avril at first. Complicated was everywhere and it got really annoying but a classmate liked to play the guitar and covered Things I'll Never Say during a music festival in High School and I decided to check out the original (and give the album a chance)... and I loved it
8zdxcqdurg.gif
. It's just so cute and it and Anything But Ordinary are my favorite songs from the alberm.

Complicated is cute but I wasn't crazy about it. I always thought that Call Me Maybe and WNGBT sounded too much like that. I'm not too crazy about Sk8er Boi either. I vastly prefer her non single songs tbh (with the exception of I'm With You).

Thanks for giving her a chance Aguilasus.

irvtgkgcdh4fhhga5q.gif

Grizzo

As much as I want to deny that I like listening to Avril, I can't.. Her first two albums :O

Nothing wrong with that! I have a playlist "Avril Lavigne" with at least 15 of her songs on my iPod. I'll gladly admit that she's had some very good singles. And her last album wasn't half-bad either.

I don't think you'll ever catch me denying that I like an artist. Or it would have to be something really crappy like Vengaboys (I kinda like to listen to We Like To Party every once in a while...).

Nothing wrong with that! I have a playlist "Avril Lavigne" with at least 15 of her songs on my iPod. I'll gladly admit that she's had some very good singles. And her last album wasn't half-bad either.

I don't think you'll ever catch me denying that I like an artist. Or it would have to be something really crappy like Vengaboys (I kinda like to listen to We Like To Party every once in a while...).

Yaaas thank you so much <33. I do have a ton of Avril on my iPod too! Her songs are catchy af o_o!

I'm trying to think if "We Like to Party" is the one I'm thinking of... A bit of an older tune?

Vazduh

Btw, Vaults have just released their new single called Lifespan. For those who liked Premonitions, this is more of the same. Lovely.

Vaults - Lifespan

It's that time of the week

GncOXX1.png

This week's we listened to Saintz' fave

I still like Avril's first album, it's cute, although I skip Nobody's Fool every time, simply because her rapping makes me cringe. Sk8er Boi is my least favorite single from the album, while I'm With You is the song I keep coming back to even today. As for the non-singles, I think Mobile and Naked are my favorites.

Grizzo

A fantastic article written by grammy award-winning producer John Shanks (Kelly Clarkson, Fleetwood Mac, Céline Dion, Anastacia...) to celebrate the 10th birthday of Ashlee Simpson's Autobiography (man, time flies). He gives us all the details about how the album was recorded and put in some really nice words for Ashlee herself.

Yaaas thank you so much <33. I do have a ton of Avril on my iPod too! Her songs are catchy af o_o!

I'm trying to think if "We Like to Party" is the one I'm thinking of... A bit of an older tune?

Vengaboys - Boom Boom Boom Boom

Get into their superior song.

We Like To Party is even better imo. That's the one used in the Six Flags commercial, if you're american (I didn't know about this commercial until an episode of Broad City, aka the best new show of 2014).

That song is so cheesy it hurts.

A fantastic article written by grammy award-winning producer John Shanks (Kelly Clarkson, Fleetwood Mac, Céline Dion, Anastacia...) to celebrate the 10th birthday of Ashlee Simpson's Autobiography (man, time flies). He gives us all the details about how the album was recorded and put in some really nice words for Ashlee herself.

We Like To Party is even better imo. That's the one used in the Six Flags commercial, if you're american (I didn't know about this commercial until an episode of Broad City, aka the best new show of 2014).

I actually didn't mind some of the songs on Autobiography! I was also obsessed with Pieces of Me in high school LOL.

I'm not American, unfortunately :(! But it was the song I was thinking!! Haha!

Zutroy

I still unashamedly love most of Ashlee's discography.

Well okay there's a bit of shame.

I remember being at a silent disco last year and they played Venga Boy's new single - loved it - but then could never find it again!

Grizzo

I actually didn't mind some of the songs on Autobiography! I was also obsessed with Pieces of Me in high school LOL.

I'm not American, unfortunately :(! But it was the song I was thinking!! Haha!

Where are you from? Maybe you knew about it before hand because it was a huge hit across Europe like 16 years ago (just writing it feels crazy old)!

And yes, Pieces Of Me is a classic pop song from the last decade!

QUOTE=CRD90;121501708]I still unashamedly love most of Ashlee's discography.

Well okay there's a bit of shame.

No shame! Bittersweet World was pretty good, it deserved more success. I still listen to Boys on a regular basis, such a nice summery bop!

Where are you from? Maybe you knew about it before hand because it was a huge hit across Europe like 16 years ago (just writing it feels crazy old)!

And yes, Pieces Of Me is a classic pop song from the last decade!

I'm in Canada! :3 I definitely listened to it for a long time! On my walkman when I was younger... LOLLL!

Right?! I love it! And now I kinda miss it.. Will listen to Pieces of Me when I get home :')

Vazduh

Ashlee's songs aged better than Jessica's, tbh.

Btw, I have a few questions regarding that video I just linked (Irresistible):

Why is Jessica in that building?
Why are the ninjas climbing the same building if the elevator's working?
Why did Jessica turn into a hologram?
Why did she set off a bomb?

And most importantly, what the fuck is up with that shitty-ass choreo with the ninjas at the end?

USrRSkr.gif

Vazduh

How different are her other albums compared to Let Go?
thing.gif

Under My Skin - a gloomfest
The Best Damn Thing - the very opposite of Under My Skin
Goodbye Lullaby - a mess
Avril Lavigne - a big ass mess

Mau ®;121502263 said:
Is BlueBadger the nicest PopGaffer?

Giving me Trigger teas (both post count AND niceness).

He sure is one of the sweetest.

There are a lot of sweet PopGaffers so it's hard for me to choose ;D

I like this! Are there any other songs of hers you'd recommend?

SaintZ

How different are her other albums compared to Let Go?
thing.gif
Under My Skin is way more rock than LG. It has a couple of "happy" tracks but most of it is just angst and misery.

Almost all the songs from The Best Damn Thing are upbeat, bubblegum pop (Girlfriend really sets the tone for the rest of the album).

Goodbye Lullaby is mostly stripped down and acoustic and the themes are similar to the ones in Under My Skin. The only upbeat songs are the first two singles and do not represent the rest of the album at all. It has a lot of ballads.

Avril Lavigne is Let Go redux tbh.

Now for about my other fave: Lana gives commentary on the tracks of Ultraviolence

I love listening stuff like this tbh. The most interesting part for me was the bit about "Old Money", it turns out it's a reworked version of Methamphetamines.

Oh and Vazduh's post about Jessica made me listen to A Public Affair.

Grizzo

First time that I'll have to disagree with you Vazduh!

Avril Lavigne is alright. It has some good songs that reminded me of her debut album so I was pretty satisfied with it. 17, Rock N Roll, Give You What You Like, You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet, Bitchin' Summer and Sippin On Sunshine are my picks.

Let's not talk about Hello Kitty because... ugh.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Under My Skin - a gloomfest
The Best Damn Thing - the very opposite of Under My Skin
Goodbye Lullaby - a mess
[/SPOILER]

Under My Skin is way more rock than LG. It has a couple of "happy" tracks but most of it is just angst and misery.

Almost all the songs from The Best Damn Thing are upbeat, bubblegum pop (Girlfriend really sets the tone for the rest of the album).

Goodbye Lullaby is mostly stripped down and acoustic and the themes are similar to the ones in Under My Skin. The only upbeat songs are the first two singles and do not represent the rest of the album at all. It has a lot of ballads.

Avril Lavigne is Let Go redux tbh.

Now for about my other fave: Lana gives commentary on the tracks of Ultraviolence

I love listening stuff like this tbh. The most interesting part for me was the bit about "Old Money", it turns out it's a reworked version of Methamphetamines.

ic. Taking notes for the next alber I try to listen to (or for another popgaf listens maybe).

I hope Lana reworking Methamphetamines means she will try to rework her other lost masterpieces.

Avril Lavigne is alright. It has some good songs that reminded me of her debut album so I was pretty satisfied with it. 17, Rock N Roll, Give You What You Like, You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet, Bitchin' Summer and Sippin On Sunshine are my picks.

I totally agree with this post!

When regarding Hello Kitty.. I... I think I would have actually really liked it if the dubstep wasn't in it.. ;___; Just a personal taste thing! LOL

Vazduh

Oh, I do enjoy Give You What You Like and Rock N Roll very much. Even Here's To Never Growing Up. It's just that I don't enjoy anything else from that album ;_;

Hello Kitty is good for a laugh or two and that's it.

FM1JGcN.gif

That was not my intended impact.

SaintZ

I think Bitchin' Summer might have ascended to my #1 song on the album tbh.

Right-right-right near the beach
The party don't stop
If we don't get harassed by the motherfuckin' cops
Quarter tank of gas
About a half a pack
My cell phone's dyin' but there's no turnin' back
I can feel the breeze
Steerin' with my knee
Drummin' on the dashboard
Bumpin' to the beat
Hit the windshield wiper
Searchin' for my lighter
I gotta get right before this all nighter

388043bootypop156xf7.gif

I love the rap, lmao. Summer anthem tbh.

Hello Kitty was... an interesting experiment. At least it got ha some publicity.

Grizzo

Love that song and not ashamed of it! Always thought the video was pretty cool too.

I totally agree with this post!

When regarding Hello Kitty.. I... I think I would have actually really liked it if the dubstep wasn't in it.. ;___; Just a personal taste thing! LOL

Hello Kitty is good for a laugh or two and that's it.

I couldn't even listen to it completely once. It's that bad :(((((

I think Bitchin' Summer might have ascended to my #1 song on the album tbh.

pick you up at the liquor stoooooore
hurry up we can fit one mooooore

I really do love Carly Rae's music :3.

I know a few people who went to high school with her actually. (she lives near my city)

Love that song and not ashamed of it! Always thought the video was pretty cool too.

I couldn't even listen to it completely once. It's that bad :(((((

Definitely not up to par with what she's put out in the past, unfortunately ;____;. \
Chad Kroeger is rubbing off on her. I'm so mean.. LOL

Mau ®

Let Go = Good
Under my Skin = Really Good
The Best Damn Thing = Mediocre
Goodbye Lullaby = Really Good
Avril Lavigne = Mediocre

Grizzo

Mau ®;121511560 said:
Let Go = Good
Under my Skin = Really Good
The Best Damn Thing = Mediocre
Goodbye Lullaby = Really Good
Avril Lavigne = Mediocre

I guess I must like "cheerful Avril" more than "moody Avril". Though I would agree that The Best Damn Thing is really meh.

Dear young people,
Long ago, and oh so far away, R&B music and Hip Hop were very much segregated, and we didn't know what we were missing. That is until Mary J. Blige's debut. It cannot be understated how much of a defining moment in popular music this was.​
From IDOLATOR:
On July 28, 1992, Mary Jane Blige rewrote pop music history with her debut album, What’s The 411, a personal manifesto translated into a multi-platinum hit. Almost swallowed by her bubble coat and low cap, she made her presence known with a rich voice that brought a new level of passion to hip hop. Soon dubbed The Queen of Hip Hop Soul, Blige channeled pain into the music that made her an instant star.

Several times platinum, 411 hit the top of the US R&B chart and #6 on the Top 200. While Blige and her collaborators knew they were speaking from (and to) a new generation, they probably never imagined how the album would cross the invisible segregated lines we place ourselves in. From homegirls in giant gold earrings to gay city boys to suburban teens trying on attitude, What’s The 411 became a sort of urban Bible.

From EBONY:
Her singing style was reminiscent of past R&B songstresses such as Stephanie Mills, Chaka Khan and Anita Baker, but she brought something new to the table with her rugged, street girl persona and descriptive lyrical content. Her vocal prowess reigned supreme over hip-hop infused tracks with sprinkles of classic R&B, jazz, hard drum beat patterns and synths. This week marks the 20th anniversary of the album’s release, which was hailed at the time as a success by many of the culture writers of the early 1990s for its pioneering blend of hip-hop and soul music. Twenty years later, it is highly regarded as one of the most important albums from the latter part of the 20th century.
From SOULCULTURE:
The album provided a blueprint for how contemporary R&B music would be formatted on urban radio stations. It literally changed the game and the musical influence of this record is still apparent almost 20 years later in mainstream R&B music; What’s the 411? was the question then and the answer now is a classic album.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your listening pleasure I present:

WHAT'S THE 411?

iO0iTLOj2QaD0.jpg

2. "Reminisce"
3. "Real Love"
4. "You Remind Me"
6. "Sweet Thing"
7. "Love No Limit"
8. "I Don't Want to Do Anything"
9. "Slow Down"
10. "My Love"
11. "Changes I've Been Going Through"
12. "What's the 411?"

Bonus, from her stellar sophomore album "My Life":
iH3OQPfusFac8.jpg

"You Bring Me Joy"
which samples: "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to Me" by Barry White #GetYourLife

"I'm The Only Woman"
which samples: "Give Me Your Love" by Curtis Mayfield #YaaaaasBitch

"Don't Go" #YallAintReady

Bonus x2, from the life giving "Share My World":
iJwDmGmr6SbC2.jpg

"I Can Love You"
"Seven Days"
"Everything"

Don't sleep on the "Everything (SoSo Def Remix)"

And last but never least Bonus (x3) song from "
Jesus,
Mary,
and Joseph!
":
iq1F5toi50ULR.jpg

"All That I Can Say"
"Sexy"
which samples "Can't Help It" by
Black
Michael Jackson
#YourFavesCant

"The Love I Never Had"
which I swear samples "Shhh!" by O(+>, but I'm the only one who ever hears it.

Oh and if you only ever hear 1 Prince song, let it be that one!

royalan

Rob and Aguila's posts are making me sad...

Sistren, What happened to the big Pop stars?

What happened to the albums you anticipated for MONTHS. The interviews, the major performances.

What happened to the soaring ballads?

What happened to the twerk anthems?

What happened to the earworms?

What happened to the surprise duets?

Ugh, I'm just so sick of this boring, sleepy Indie Pop era. And the best we can do for a new major pop girl,. the best we can do, is fucking Ariana Grande? Zzzzzzzz...

I need some major moves in Pop. And I need them soon.

Touchdown

Banned
Rob and Aguila's posts are making me sad...

Sistren, What happened to the big Pop stars?

What happened to the albums you anticipated for MONTHS. The interviews, the major performances.

What happened to the soaring ballads?

What happened to the twerk anthems?

What happened to the earworms?

What happened to the surprise duets?

Ugh, I'm just so sick of this boring, sleepy Indie Pop era. And the best we can do for a new major pop girl,. the best we can do, is fucking Ariana Grande? Zzzzzzzz...

I need some major moves in Pop. And I need them soon.

i7YCLuSwB2coa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom