• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ :O

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL this is the best thing I've read today. Starlight is so awful, Gaga needs to drop her and the other cling-ons that were present at her disastrous Doritos event (where the green vomit happened)

Soulscribe, I ALWAYS enjoy your Gaga write-ups. She's lucky to have such a devoted fan that isn't a part of the Mons-turd legion! ;)

Thanks bae. I think she's completely fearless and I appreciate that she's rough around the edges even in an industry that tries way too hard to scrub these pop stars clean. It makes her much more relatable, and I'll always be rooting for her because of it. She's a great one.

I thought about posting this. What kind of fucking mess.
I swear Nakata hates her. An English version of one of her previous tracks would've sufficed.
Perfume gets Cling Cling and she gets this.

MA4pKIi.gif

Well I mean, do you blame Nakata for essentially choosing the Queens over Kyary?

I forgot about her after Candy Candy and so did the rest of the world.

gYhVLZw.gif

I didn't mean it like that! I just meant it's not some brand new tune I was posting. I just heard it again today and got my funk on, thought I'd share. It makes me wanna bop.

So touchy...

:p
I was kidding siS, just riffing on your post from a few days ago about Pop-GAF's leanings toward idol-worship rather than actual music :p

Tis a bop tbh

NinjaBoiX

I was kidding siS, just riffing on your post from a few days ago about Pop-GAF's leanings toward idol-worship rather than actual music :p

Tis a bop tbh
:D

She's is all kinds of fly too:

4tRNByg.jpg

I want to tousle her hair.

Even more.

Edit: I some how new Henderson would get linked after Eyre. Dragonz on the bandwagon.

Vitanimus

I dunno if any of you remember when Vazduh recommended Oasis by Alpines but their debut alber completely flew by me and I'm listening to it now... it seems kinda basic really, but I'll post impressions later

edit: the slayage is real

I687rXu.png

Mau ®

Godel's Home Page did a piece on Rihanna's #R8 titled "The eighth Rihanna album: eight reasonable demands"

As you know, it’s been a while since we’ve had any new Rihanna music. In fact, ‘RiRi’ hasn’t released a full album since she kidnapped a bunch of journalists and flew them around the world for seven days. And, in case you’d forgotten, that was almost two years ago – which in Rihanna terms is basically a decade.

But it’s more than that; it sort of feels like the right time for Rihanna to make a comeback. Look what a shambles pop has become in her absence: Ed Sheeran is the most powerful person in urban music, Gary Barlow is singing with meerkats and Cheryl is changing her pop name, again. Ultimately, Rihanna might look good in a dress made of diamonds, but she’d look better singing an amazing song on The X Factor in a dress made of diamonds, right? Right.

But what will a Rihanna album sound like in 2014? What should it sound like? Will it feature horns? Will it feature four-to-the-floor beats? Will it feature another ode to strippers? Or will it be an experimental, guitar laden prog-rock opus (no thanks)?

So here are eight reasonable demands for Rihanna’s eighth album.

Ballads (but good ones not ones for Nivea adverts)
Unlike a lot of popstars, Rihanna isn’t shit at ballads, but Rihanna ballads only really work when they have a bit of grit to them. Songs like ‘California King Bed’ are 90% fluff, but with a song like ‘Diamonds’ it felt from the very beginning (“find light in the beautiful sea, I chose to be happy”) like there was a real connection. She didn’t write it, but she owned it. The same goes for ‘Russian Roulette’. Both these songs ooze Rihanna: they’re emotional, they’re confident, and they’re not afraid to make a statement. More songs like that please Fenty, and a little less emphasis on the state you’ve made of last night’s sheets.

The right feat ratio
On her last album, Rihanna had no fewer than five extra vocalists along for the ride. Sometimes she gets it right – the sexual chemistry between Drake and Rihanna on ‘What’s My Name’ was great – but when you’re dealing with a song like ‘Nobody’s Business’ it can be devastating in all the wrong ways. Striking the right balance is crucial for #R8 but for feats to work they need to add something to the song, as Mikky Ekko did with his tender contribution to ‘Stay’. Rumours of a Nicki Minaj feat are already circulating, but let’s not have collaborations for the sake of it, eh?

Actual Rihanna songs, not just songs sung by Rihanna
We all know that tracks like ‘Umbrella’ and ‘We Found Love’ could have gone to other artists – and nearly did – but a surprising number of Rihanna’s signature songs feel like only Rihanna could have pulled them off. Just as importantly, you can imagine Rihanna actually wanting to listen to songs like ‘Rude Boy’, ‘Man Down’, ‘No Love Allowed’ and ‘Te Amo’. At this stage in her career, Rihanna should only be bothering with songs that tick both those boxes.

Some decent lyrics
It doesn’t really matter who’s written them, but Rihanna songs in 2014 shouldn’t be indicative of what people think she might have been like two or more years ago. Whether it’s poignant songs of friendship or love letters to the stripper pole, lyrically #R8 should represent who Rihanna is now.

A coherent ‘aesthetic’
Cohesion in pop is always fun, but wouldn’t it be amazing if Rihanna’s 2014 album also came with a strong aesthetic? For both ‘Rated R’ and ‘Loud’, Rihanna had clearly defined looks that were, as they say, ‘era defining’. The red locks of ‘Only Girl In The World’ and ‘What’s My Name’ became synonymous with that album campaign. Likewise the short back and sides of the resolutely monochromatic ‘Rated R’ campaign embodied the fiercely cold and dark nature of that record. Get the moodboard out Robyn.

Imaginative producers
Rihanna should make sure there’s a Stargate track on there, but she should also rope in young geniuses who are breaking new ground. Would a Rihanna X Sohn megaballad work? Or how about a bonkers Gorgon City jungle-infused rave-a-thon? Equally, perhaps we should cross another Calvin Harris megabanger off the list. Obviously ‘We Found Love’ is amazing. OBVIOUSLY. However, should Rihanna go back to Calvin now he’s worked with every other Tom, Dick and Ellie? Rihanna should lead the way and never look back. Which brings us to…

Something that changes pop for 2015
Do you remember when ‘We Found Love’ came out and it sounded so fresh that every artist, producer and ‘DJ’ spent the next six months trying to recreate that sound? Or the way ‘Umbrella’ pushed expectations of pop hooks into new territory? Or how ‘Where Have You Been’ basically kickstarted this current trend of instrumental choruses? These songs took pop to places it hadn’t been before. Rihanna must innovate.

A Rihanna who seems like she gives a shit
The Rihanna of ‘Rated R’ and ‘Loud’ was engaged and generally quite into it, whereas the Rihanna of ‘Talk That Talk’ and ‘Unapologetic’ felt, at times, like she couldn’t be arsed. Pop works best when there’s determination at the heart of it but, at the same time, doesn’t look like hard work. Rihanna always did that quite well. Hopefully her decade (two years) away means she’s got that spark back and will deliver the album of the year.

Great, sorted.

I'd probably agree with most of those points. I'd love to see Rihanna pull out a completely unexpected avant-garde album like Ray of Light or The Miseducation, and I can see her doing that because she's pretty open to new styles, and can own them quite well. Her voice works well for non-R&B material and especially mid to low tempo songs, where that husky tone can shine. It's one of the reasons why Russian Roulette is one of my favorite Rihanna songs. It's raw and emotive and isn't trying to fit into some kind of matrix that other ballads try to do.

And to be honest the aura she gives off of with the "give no fucks" attitude is a big reason why I'm always apprehensive towards her. I know it's supposed to come off like she does things effortlessly, but to me it comes off as detached, robotic and lazy. I'd love to see her show some purposeful "I'm here for a fucking reason" grit that girls like Gaga completely fucking own. I'm not saying to throw the kitchen sink or go off on monologues but it's annoying to see someone who's earning a great deal of success look like she's coasting.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I agree with most of those points about R8 and may actually become a genuine fan if she manages to check most of that list off.

But that's a big if.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Mau ®;121255144 said:
Oh and Sia will score her first #1 alberm next week, according to HDD. I think it will have decent longevity too.

Sis, she's #1, but she sold like 50,000. I don't think that's a good indication of longevity.

According to billboard:
It logs the lowest sales figure for a No. 1 album in nearly two years.

The Frozen soundtrack is the real sales winner of 2014. RIP the music industry.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Sis, she sold like 50,000 and she's #1. I don't think that's a good indication of longevity.
Yes, but with mostly positive reviews and a handful of celebs endorsing the album via social media, this could be a slow burn and actually pick up speed.

And if not, oh well. She managed to hit #1 without showing her face and created an overall solid album.

The Frozen soundtrack is the real sales winner of 2014. RIP the music industry.
Now this is the truth. All hail Queen Idina.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yes, but with mostly positive reviews and a handful of celebs endorsing the album via social media, this could be a slow burn and actually pick up speed.

Wasn't Hilary Duff or someone else praising her old album instead of the new one?

royalan

gYhVLZw.gif

I didn't mean it like that! I just meant it's not some brand new tune I was posting. I just heard it again today and got my funk on, thought I'd share. It makes me wanna bop.

So touchy...

Sis, if you're gonna throw shade, put on your big girl thong and own it. You ain't foolin nobody.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Wasn't Hilary Duff or someone else praising her old album instead of the new one?
Yes, she did. I wasn't referring to her though. Lena Dunham, Britney Spears, and others also tweeted/posted about it.

And do people actually care about Hilary Duff anymore? She's a moron.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
i care about her more than you, you kumquat
Am I supposed to be insulted? Because let's see. She's got...

A failed music career that she's been trying to revive unsuccessfully (so far) for a while.
A failed movie career that I'm not even going to bother making fun of.
A failed TV career that she's apparently trying to revive on TV Land because guest spots only get you so far.
A failed marriage, although that did give us that hilariously stupid blow job pic.

You keep on caring. She needs your support.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Sis, if you're gonna throw shade, put on your big girl thong and own it. You ain't foolin nobody.

A failed music career that she's been trying to revive unsuccessfully (so far) for a while.
A failed TV career that she's apparently trying to revive on TV Land because guest spots only get you so far.
A failed marriage, although that did give us that hilariously stupid blow job pic.

iYhQDDXGfgqK0.gif

Grizzo

why so mean?

she gave us this incredible album

Hilary_Duff_-_Dignity.png

so I'll always have respect for her.

Grizzo

So Yesterday, Come Clean, Beat Of My Heart, With Love, Wake Up... she's had some great songs.

Nothing to be ashamed of. It's not too far off Demi and Selena's first output (Dignity is even a marginally better album than Stars Dance).

So Yesterday, Come Clean, Beat Of My Heart, With Love, Wake Up... she's had some great songs.

Nothing to be ashamed of. It's not too far off Demi and Selena's first output (Dignity is even a marginally better album than Stars Dance).

I definitely also have the first three of those songs too LOL. They're catchy ;__;. I rock some Demi too. But I think the only Selena song I've enjoyed a lot is Come & Get It. o__o

ROB

I JUST discovered FINE ASS Erick Lewis....

You need to do an Erick Lewis day...STAT!!!

I think I'm gonna hit 3,000 tonight.... o_O
irYgDAqfcQbgY.png

I'll look into your new discovery, but so far I'm seeing lots of axe wounds.
Oh, and you should totally visit the page and not peruse through the dashboard.

Hello loved ones. In 1981, the ICONIC LEGENDARY Teena Marie dropped a classic album entitled It Must Be Magic. Unlike your faves she wrote and produced it all by herself, and went on to receive critical acclaim. The album is a certified banger, and if you haven't heard it yet.. do yourself a favor. Best wishes!
i1V3xzGDmJbeX.jpg

"It Must Be Magic"
"Revolution"
"Where's California"
"365"
"Square Biz"
"The Ballad of Cradle Rob and Me"
"Portuguese Love"
"Yes Indeed"

Bonus songs: from the fabulous Starchild (1984) album
ibn9NDzSDP1h6S.jpg

"Lover Girl"
"Out On A Limb"
and from the incomparable "Naked To The World" (1988) album:
ibdlavpmyTeEOc.jpg

"The Once and Future Dream"
"Naked to the World"

ibszMrXXA7TdUh.png
#slay

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Hey PopGAF, here is another quality tune for y'all. It'd not exactly fresh, it's a good 6 months old now, but it wasn't a a huge hit so it may have passed most of you by:

Ella Eyre - Deeper

gYhVLZw.gif

So touchy...

Oh HELL no! I am NOT here for this today. I let it slide the first time, I was even sympathetic and said I know what it feels like to have some of your posts ignored but not to take it personally the last time you pitched a fit in here. I am in no such mood today! If you've ever read through the thread, you'd see that there is a lot of varied taste, there's no one artist or "huge hit" that is loved by every single person posting in this thread, so no need for the generalization then the weak back-pedal.

Oh and don't think that with my photographic memory I don't remember you posting here in June, didn't seem to get as much of a response as you wanted, then went running back to Fakegaf to badmouth Popgaf.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117100103&postcount=12176

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117102194&postcount=12184

I really enjoy reading this thread even when I don't post, most of the regulars crack me up even if we don't have the same music taste. I am NOT HERE for this passive-aggressiveness!

tumblr_m78msv5JMv1qzzpi4o1_250.gif

Oh HELL no! I am NOT here for this today. I let it slide the first time, I was even sympathetic and said I know what it feels like to have some of your posts ignored but not to take it personally the last time you pitched a fit in here. I am in no such mood today! If you've ever read through the thread, you'd see that there is a lot of varied taste, there's no one artist or "huge hit" that is loved by every single person posting in this thread, so no need for the generalization then the weak back-pedal.

Oh and don't think that with my photographic memory I don't remember you posting here in June, didn't seem to get as much of a response as you wanted, then went running back to Fakegaf to badmouth Popgaf.

I really enjoy reading this thread even when I don't post, most of the regulars crack me up even if we don't have the same music taste. I am NOT HERE for this passive-aggressiveness!

i2QO6rf7ZTfMM.gif

gurL, we all know this. I was going to spill the tea before but decided a :p and a compliment was more amenable

Let ha do ha

Yes, we can
Couldn't break us down
They couldn't break us down
Yes, we can
Couldn't break us down
Yes, we can
Couldn't break us down
Yes, we can
Couldn't break us down

Hello loved ones. In 1981, the ICONIC LEGENDARY Teena Marie dropped a classic album entitled It Must Be Magic. Unlike your faves she wrote and produced it all by herself, and went on to receive critical acclaim. The album is a certified banger, and if you haven't heard it yet.. do yourself a favor. Best wishes!

Not the hidden message tho. #RIP

#listeningnow

royalan

SIS

YAAASSSS

READ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom