• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzo

so Katy reacted to the fact that "Roar" got snubbed at the VMAs...

katytweetdkkxm.jpg

some people think it's a shade to Gaga but I really don't see how that tweet can be related to her

so Katy reacted to the fact that "Roar" got snubbed at the VMAs...

katytweetdkkxm.jpg

some people think it's a shade to Gaga but I really don't see how that tweet can be related to her

All this shade for a useless ass award. Shame. I guess Grammy-less candidates really seek for the bottom of the barrel.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
To someone who doesn't know any better, they clearly are. To labels, they matter as much as an Oscar or a Tony.

that's exactly it. And exactly why I was so annoyed with R̶o̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶K̶l̶o̶t̶z̶ Macklemore and his "I wish my Grammy would have gone to Kendrick Lamar" bullshit. Like shut up, no you DIDN'T wish that, now your paygrade has gone up. You just know he was Anne Hathaway'ing behind closed doors for that award.
Then again, the public did end up turning on him when he did that disastrously offensive Jewish caricature performance and has been hiding low ever since. Last I heard from him he's posing with his new kitten in order to gain back public sympathy, give me a damn break!

Ok.... the cat is adorable though

mack5.jpg

Grizzo

Not only that, but there's also synth in the background that sounds like it was taken from an Ace of Base song. It was probably deliberate, and I love that tiny detail :)

Haha you're right. You know what? I feel like Ace of Base had a great influence on many pop songs released nowadays. They had so pretty banging songs back then.

Mau ®;121650319 said:
You changed your avi for Rih *.*

We're all perched for the #R8 era *.*

And what's more, to a picture from the Loud era! I stand by my words : it's my fav album from Rih. I've been listening to "Fading" a lot these last few days.

Rated R is still my fave. I hope she tops it one day.

And what's more, to a picture from the Loud era! I stand by my words : it's my fav album from Rih. I've been listening to "Fading" a lot these last few days.

I've been obsessed with Complicated for a while now.

I love how sparse it is until after the first verse when the beat fully kicks in. And that chorus. Sing it, bitch.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Mau ®;121655497 said:
Eh. LOUD is her best era, just nowhere near her best album IMO.

so as Rih's #1 fan...what would you suggest to someone who *cautiously* wants to give her music a real chance? I say cautious because I've tried some of Popgaf's faves like Beyonce's last album which I thought was trash, but then I also discovered new faves from you guys like Lana Del Rey and Norwegian Queen Annie <3
I've really enjoyed Rih's soccer antics and twitter trolling over the last few weeks so it may be time to give her another shot.... they should be paying you to promote her Mau tbh :p
SAT7An3.gif

Grizzo

Since we were talking about Avril Lavigne yesterday, I wonder who had the idea of sampling I'm With You on Cheers (Drink To That)

At first those "yeah-yeah" threw me off a bit, but then I got used to it, and now I loved them.

Mau ®;121655497 said:
Eh. LOUD is her best era, just nowhere near her best album IMO.

Well it's just my fav. I know it's not her deepest or strongest work of art, but as far as shameless and catchy pop goes, it's a damn good album. Plus I love the videos for this era and of course her hair. That's what makes it my personal fav.

But you're right in that I think Rated R or Good Girl Gone Bad must be considered as her absolute best.

I've been obsessed with Complicated for a while now.

I love how sparse it is until after the first verse when the beat fully kicks in. And that chorus. Sing it, bitch.

It's a nice one too, it's a shame she never ever performed it live

Touchdown

Banned
so as Rih's #1 fan...what would you suggest to someone who *cautiously* wants to give her music a real chance? I say cautious because I've tried some of Popgaf's faves like Beyonce's last album which I thought was trash, but then I also discovered new faves from you guys like Lana Del Rey and Norwegian Queen Annie <3
I've really enjoyed Rih's soccer antics and twitter trolling over the last few weeks so it may be time to give her another shot.... they should be paying you to promote her Mau tbh :p
SAT7An3.gif

If you didn't like Bey's album you should try Me. I am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteuse. The songs flow better together and the production is top notch. It's basically bop after bop after hip-hop bop without the drowsiness side effects that Lana and Annie will give you. The music itself comes from the soul since it's all written by Mariah herself unlike some of her lesser contemporaries where the songs just don't connect with the artist and sound forced and reaching. The album is very easy breezy, the perfect album to listen to on the go that will keep you in a positive mood while doing other activities. You Don't Know What To Do and #Beautiful are classic Mariah as she swoons and soars and coos and giggles her way through her 5 octave range that will leave anyone with an ear for music breathless. And Meteorite is just top notch perfect music if you're looking for something with a fun energy to get up and groove to. The ballads on the album will make you think, might even make you cry, but in a good way. Heavenly (No Ways Tired / Can't Give Up Now) will take you to church, the perfect song to blast when you're feeling down or need some extra encouragement to get shit done. So get into Me. I Am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteuse. And thank me later.

tumblr_mv6vx0Q03H1qkdh9eo4_250.gif

If you didn't like Bey's album you should try Me. I am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteuse. The songs flow better together and the production is top notch. It's basically bop after bop after hip-hop bop without the drowsiness side effects that Lana and Annie will give you. The music itself comes from the soul since it's all written by Mariah herself unlike some of her lesser contemporaries where the songs just don't connect with the artist and sound forced and reaching. The album is very easy breezy, the perfect album to listen to on the go that will keep you in a positive mood while doing other activities. You Don't Know What To Do and #Beautiful are classic Mariah as she swoons and soars and coos and giggles her way through her 5 octave range that will leave anyone with an ear for music breathless. And Meteorite is just top notch perfect music if you're looking for something with a fun energy to get up and groove to. The ballads on the album will make you think, might even make you cry, but in a good way. Heavenly (No Ways Tired / Can't Give Up Now) will take you to church, the perfect song to blast when you're feeling down or need some extra encouragement to get shit done. So get into Me. I Am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteuse. And thank me later.

Mariah.. <333333. Such a classic. I have all of her albums. Except the latest one, ironically!! I gotta get on that!

Mau ®

SAT7An3.gif

Most Rihanna albums are have a decent number of pop gems but also suffer from plenty of filler. Rated R and Unapologetic are her most cohesive pieces of work (especially the latter), they also happen to be her most personal. Meanwhile albums like LOUD and Talk That Talk are less cohesive and their main focus is the singles (that IMO are really good for the most part).

If you wanna get into her music my rihcommendation would be to just listen to the singles from each album I can send you a playlist if you'd like!). If you don't like them, you probably won't like her albums at all lol.

enigmatic_alex44

Haha as Mariah's #1 fan I may get into your suggestion!
Honestly, I remember when I was a kid and Mariah's 1st single released "Sweet Fantasy", I really loved it (used to watch top 30 videos every weekend on MuchMusic here in Canada and some busted DJ on cartoon channel YTV at the time) it's still such a classic despite the video being a true relic of it's time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq09UkPRdFY
Not sure why I haven't heard any of her music over the past years, maybe I've found her public persona a bit off-putting? I will give MIAMTEC a try though!

Mau ®;121664212 said:
If you wanna get into her music my rihcommendation would be to just listen to the singles from each album I can send you a playlist if you'd like!). If you don't like them, you probably won't like her albums at all lol.

Ah that would be pretty cool actually! :D

guZx.gif

Grizzo

Mau ®;121664212 said:

from what I've seen, everybody* seems to have at least one Rihanna song that they enjoy, no matter if they like her or not, no matter if they'll openly admit or just lie about it. It's just like with Britney.

*and I mean that, with Diamonds and Stay she sure won the last couple of skeptical people that despised her output

are you insinuating that grammys aren't useless
emoticon-0138-thinking.gif

They aren't though. Unless it's useless to you know, people who stan Grammy-less favs.

Edit: I mean, I'm not really trying to drag Katy but throwing shade for a VMA instead of a Grammy in which one is worth more than the other, it's a waste.

Beyonce's last album which I thought was trash

ixIyQ9UtuVxAk.gif

Ironic coming from a Gaga stan but I'll let this one slide. I liked ArtPop so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom