• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
We'll always have the good old days Janet! <3

YESS!!
52b0f867.gif

it8uzk2YfztKW.gif

cory64

In 1986 I was 9 and intensely hated anything associated with Michael Jackson. When I was 8 I got "Thriller"
TRASH!
for Christmas and my cousin got "Purple Rain," and I was it as an insult to my person and I made sure my parents knew it. Prince was my be all and end all and was clearly more talented. I subsequently talked my cousin into trading and proceeded to scratch her album to shit and rendered it unplayable. There would be none of that Michael Jackson trash in my presence.
Aside from the billion times I had to sit through that trash ass Thriller video and the making of that always came on after it.

Anywho, my first introduction to Janet was, I believe, the video for "Control." Seems as though Janet, too, liked that Minneapolis sound and recruited Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (Jerome Benton was in the video too) from The Time (a Prince side project) to help bring her vision to light. I think it was a year and and the 6th slaying single (The Pleasure Principle) later that I had to give it up and swear fealty to Janet. I don't remember much from my childhood, as far as vivid memories go, but I do recall being in a car with my paternal grandmother when "Nasty" came on and very sassily singing the lines, "No, my first name ain't baby. It's Janet. Ms. Jackson if your nasty!" and receiving my very first (look at this little queen) side eye. I know Janet is looked at as a washed up has been these days, but 1986 started a decade of slay that is still unmatched to this day. And she did it without having to ride the coat tails of
a child predator,
her brother!

So here we are again, little ones. An album that slays from hither to yon. Get your lives.

ibyYBvlHsXkHxd.jpg

1. "Control"
2. "Nasty"
3. "What Have You Done for Me Lately"
4. "You Can Be Mine"
5. "The Pleasure Principle"
6. "When I Think of You"
7. "He Doesn't Know I'm Alive"
8. "Let's Wait Awhile"
9. "Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)"

Bonus: From the Rhythm Nation 1814 (SLAAAAAAAAYS) album:
ibr2MCZINtjtJH.jpg

Fun fact about this album is that it slayed the charts for so long, that by the time "Love Will Never Do" came out as a single 2+ years later she had changed her look and people who weren't paying attention thought it was the beginning of a new era. Lol. The beginning of the RN1814 era was relyed heavily on a materialistic covered head to toe look and Janet saying that she didn't wanna use her body/sex to sell records, ended with a beweaved midriff baring Janet serving sex on a platter and slaying your faves with a 3 year old album.

"Love Will Never Do (Without You)"
"The Knowledge"
"Escapade"
"Someday Is Tonight"

Bonus Bonus: From the Janet. album (SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYZ):
ibfqen5RB5Juk5.jpg

"If"
"Because Of Love"
"Any Time, Any Place"

Triple Bonus: From The Velvet Rope (YAAAAAAS)
ibsQgSCImaPIee.jpg

"Got 'til It's Gone"
"Rope Burn"
"Anything"

Admittedly, Janet lost that "spark" for me during The Velvet Rope era. Madonna was commanding more and more of my attention and by the time "Ray of Light" came out it was a rap.

The motherf&#8212;ing Q. U. E. E. N.

What else is there to say? Other than that she still delivered BOP AFTER BOP on AFY Damita Jo and Discipline despite losing her 86-97 magic.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
In 1986 I was 9 and intensely hated anything associated with Michael Jackson. When I was 8 I got "Thriller"
TRASH!
for Christmas and my cousin got "Purple Rain," and I was it as an insult to my person and I made sure my parents knew it. Prince was my be all and end all and was clearly more talented. I subsequently talked my cousin into trading and proceeded to scratch her album to shit and rendered it unplayable. There would be none of that Michael Jackson trash in my presence.
Aside from the billion times I had to sit through that trash ass Thriller video and the making of that always came on after it.

Anywho, my first introduction to Janet was, I believe, the video for "Control." Seems as though Janet, too, liked that Minneapolis sound and recruited Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (Jerome Benton was in the video too) from The Time (a Prince side project) to help bring her vision to light. I think it was a year and and the 6th slaying single (The Pleasure Principle) later that I had to give it up and swear fealty to Janet. I don't remember much from my childhood, as far as vivid memories go, but I do recall being in a car with my paternal grandmother when "Nasty" came on and very sassily singing the lines, "No, my first name ain't baby. It's Janet. Ms. Jackson if your nasty!" and receiving my very first (look at this little queen) side eye. I know Janet is looked at as a washed up has been these days, but 1986 started a decade of slay that is still unmatched to this day. And she did it without having to ride the coat tails of
a child predator,
her brother!

So here we are again, little ones. An album that slays from hither to yon. Get your lives.

ibyYBvlHsXkHxd.jpg

1. "Control"
2. "Nasty"
3. "What Have You Done for Me Lately"
4. "You Can Be Mine"
5. "The Pleasure Principle"
6. "When I Think of You"
7. "He Doesn't Know I'm Alive"
8. "Let's Wait Awhile"
9. "Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)"

Bonus: From the Rhythm Nation 1814 (SLAAAAAAAAYS) album:
ibr2MCZINtjtJH.jpg

Fun fact about this album is that it slayed the charts for so long, that by the time "Love Will Never Do" came out as a single 2+ years later she had changed her look and people who weren't paying attention thought it was the beginning of a new era. Lol. The beginning of the RN1814 era was relyed heavily on a materialistic covered head to toe look and Janet saying that she didn't wanna use her body/sex to sell records, ended with a beweaved midriff baring Janet serving sex on a platter and slaying your faves with a 3 year old album.

"Love Will Never Do (Without You)"
"The Knowledge"
"Escapade"
"Someday Is Tonight"

Bonus Bonus: From the Janet. album (SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYZ):
ibfqen5RB5Juk5.jpg

"If"
"Because Of Love"
"Any Time, Any Place"

Triple Bonus: From The Velvet Rope (YAAAAAAS)
ibsQgSCImaPIee.jpg

"Got 'til It's Gone"
"Rope Burn"
"Anything"

Admittedly, Janet lost that "spark" for me during The Velvet Rope era. Madonna was commanding more and more of my attention and by the time "Ray of Light" came out it was a rap.

I have to say Rob, I always LOVE your posts! Who else puts so much effort into a post, WHILE also making it somewhat educational at the same time :*)

photo-4-1.gif

Janet is best Jackson. I never gave a damn about Michael or the rest of them, but Janet has that special spark. I particularly enjoyed her from the late 90's up until like a year before the career damaging Superbowl fiasco.
And there's no shame, if someone was going to steal your attention away from Janet, who better than 30+ years reigning QUEEN OF POP Madonna herself, with her magnum opus Ray of Light (which is also the era that cemented her as my fave)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
waiT @ some of these comments in the last page or so..

Why y'all hate Iggy so much? Now I hate me some rap music (with the exception of Missy Elliott and Nicki Minaj) but I really dig Iggy's smash bop Fancy. I even love the Clueless inspired video featuring that Lorde lookin' chick (can't recall ha name atm)

Why y'all hate Iggy so much? Now I hate me some rap music (with the exception of Missy Elliott and Nicki Minaj) but I really dig Iggy's smash bop Fancy. I even love the Clueless inspired video featuring that Lorde lookin' chick (can't recall ha name atm)

I C this Charli shade, siS. It ain't qt.

I hate Iggy because she makes trash music.

I can't get into it even while inebriated. Her ridiculous accent makes it impossible for me to take her even a tenth seriously.

enigmatic_alex44

I C this Charli shade, siS.

HnX3bpQ.gif
HnX3bpQ.gif
HnX3bpQ.gif

I'd rather Iggy be a one era wonder than Lorde.

I do agree with this. I know everyone makes fun of her for looking like a 17 year old going on 40, but I think she's got an odd beauty, adds something a bit different to this stale music industry, and I love some of her songs, Team in particular

NinjaBoiX

lorde stans still exist?
apFCJBd.png
Lorde is quality, I love her record. Imagine if her and Lana got together to make a musical baby? Lawd...

Also, can't you like just something a normal person amount without being a "stan" whatever? I just don't get this schizophrenic "best, most life changing thing ever/utter trash and possibly worse than cancer" barometer that seems to get used in here.

I think it's maybe just a bit of a gag, but who knows. You guys are funny.

1A9yCSG.jpg

Lorde is quality, I love her record. Imagine if her and Lana got together to make a musical baby? Lawd...

Also, can't you like just something a normal person amount without being a "stan" whatever? I just don't get this schizophrenic "best, most life changing thing ever/utter trash and possibly worse than cancer" barometer that seems to get used in here.

I think it's maybe just a bit of a gag, but who knows. You guys are funny.

I'd literally rather watch old women eat egg salad sandwiches than think about that happening

enigmatic_alex44

Let's play a game of "Why Do People Hate Iggy Azalea?"

A)
tumblr_n1yj8xWZlE1rn3sbpo2_400.png

B)
tumblr_n1yj8xWZlE1rn3sbpo3_400.jpg

C)
tumblr_n1yj8xWZlE1rn3sbpo6_400.png

or D) her music is trash.

OMGGG
yikes that's pretty bad....
also, "u gone know English today" ?????? ignorant AND piss-poor grammar
racist trash
BYE Iggy
iQs6hLkvpXZz8.gif

On a more positive note, I must:

megaphone_emote_by_mirz123-d39t4f5.gif
megaphone.gif
ATTENTION: TOUCHDOWN
megaphone.gif

I took your suggestion and finally gave MIAMTEC a whirl. It's really good! Mariah's still super talented, I don't think her voice has diminished at all like some people say. She's def deserving of being the 2nd best selling female artist of all time (Madonna's still Queen @ #1 with over 300 million albums sold <3 )

I particularly love:
The Art of Letting Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-a2JwEkviU
You Don't Know What To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJXAA2tw-BA
Meteorite (this might be my fave)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdENXIr18OA

certified bops tbh
1Oymt.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Everything about last night was Jesus

After Robyn and Röyksopp literally slayed me to death I danced to bangers in a thunderstorm

I thought this hot geigh was checking me out but I had to leave ;_;

I can't even begin to describe how good R&R were. My friend said it was better than seeing her faves Arcade Fire at glasto last month. Go and see them you owe yourselves.

I don't understand, is Lorde past it now? Has she had her 5 minutes?

Is she not the hot new shit anymore?

Maybe none of us have ever liked Lorde because we're not completely chart-chasing sales whores? Our tastes are allowed to play a role in dictating what we like, we won't just bandwagon someone because they're touted as the next big thing :p

That Vaults shit was good btw

I'm kinda thankful if Calvin withdrew his shit from Rihta, maybe she'll get a fresh brand-new producer who'll excite me as opposed to making me violently sick in the toilet. (Summer is just aaaaagh)

Elly Jackson has been spilling tea in an interview for the Times:
I suggest that we should discuss her collaboration with Kanye West on his MBDTF album. "No, fuck him," Jackson snaps, "Nobody likes him."
I hate radio edits. If you don't hate them, there's something wrong with you.
What frustrates me with a lot of modern music is this thing you hear constantly, "People will get bored". No, they won't. They get bored if the music's boring.
All I ever hear now is, "People haven't got the attention span any more, they don't have the intelligence." Rubbish. People are just as intelligent as they always were. They do want this stuff in music. So make something great that's accessible.

Clock those record label executives sis!
I got an email from Amazon that said my copy of Trouble in Paradise should be arriving today. I can't wait to listen, this interview has gotten me really hyped. Her attitude is everything.

NinjaBoiX

Maybe none of us have ever liked Lorde because we're not completely chart-chasing sales whores? Our tastes are allowed to play a role in dictating what we like, we won't just bandwagon someone because they're touted as the next big thing :p
Oh I know that, but I was replying specifically to the post with the words "still" implying that they were but are no longer, and "stan", which I'm led to believe is a derogatory term reserved for blinded, unconditional superfans.

That post basically said to me:

"There are still crazy fans of that Lorde chick even though she been around for over a year? She's a has been, she hasn't had a hit in months."

I'm past throwing shade at you guys, there are some really good posters in here, you should take any catty remarks I make in here with a pinch of salt! I just like to poke good natured fun occasionally, I figured the crazy Oprah gif would've made that clear.

:p
That Vaults shit was good btw
Isn't it? Will be buying that record, what I've heard has been fantastic.

The Flop

Banned

I know I'm still bopping to "Fancy" and "Black Widow"

tumblr_n8z3ooANLy1rmalxko1_500.gif

JohnDoe

Banned
Hi.

I've been lurking this thread (aside from two posts) for a while now and decided to introduce myself.

Basically, I've kind of fronted on a lot of pop music for a long time but I've learned to embrace it now and this thread really has helped. If you actually read this thread you will find that it's not all about celebrity gossip as
fedora
GAF claims; there's a lot of really good suggestions in this thread. Feel free to recommend your personal favorite albums ;)

Rihanna is my fave.

JohnDoe

Banned
Yaaaaaaaaaaas!

<3 I love your posts!

Let's play a game of "Why Do People Hate Iggy Azalea?"

Let's compare this trashy woman to the righteous queen Nicki:

Do you rap for women?

I represent girls of all colours and shapes. I&#8217;m someone just about everyone can identify with. I don&#8217;t exclude anybody. I think that&#8217;s what I bring to pop culture. That&#8217;s the way I speak. I like to compliment girls and make them feel proud and make them feel better about who they are, no matter how they look.

(full interview here)

royalan

Nicki ain't no better than Iggy in this regard. Especially after the BET Awards this year.

And lets not forget the Queer appropriation that was her first two mixtapes.

<3 I love your posts!
Aww! Before POPGAF i had no use for pop music at all. I just started posting here because I thought queens
(and "straight guys")
were hilarious. During one of Mau's going away parties we played nothing but Rihanna and I became a stan. I used to hate Beyonce too, but Mumei got me together.
Nicki ain't no better than Iggy in this regard. Especially after the BET Awards this year.

Don't you only go in for "artists" that "appropriate," though?

JohnDoe

Banned
Mau ®;121854724 said:
YASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

The GAF #Navy keeps growing!

Welcome!

Thanks! :)

Nicki ain't no saint either but Iggy is just absolute trash.

Don't you only go in for "artists" that "appropriate," though?

Are you saying Nicki isn't an artist? :)

tumblr_m876mrEmT31qe3yjd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom